Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Moola posted:

gently caress yeah Kung Pow!

I'm sort of waiting to see a multi part kit for the baloonmars to completely hate them but yeah they suck rear end

E: Not sure why I quoted that when replying but gently caress it I'll leave it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I love the idea of ranged jump pack dudes

basically SM battlesuits

but lol yeah not those models

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
Nice. I'd like to see a recolour with that style visor next to a SC2 marine.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I'm quite looking forward to painting a regular bigmar though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Big mars would look best in a colorful retro 80s style hth

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Chill la Chill posted:

Everything look best in a colorful retro 80s style hth

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

quote:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Death Thread 2017 - GW is Cool, and Good

Man, what a world we live in.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
thread op was kidnapped and reprogrammed by his local gw store slave :shrug:

the new marines look pretty cool but goddamn are those assault marines loving garbage

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

thread op was kidnapped and reprogrammed by his local gw store slave :shrug:

the new marines look pretty cool but goddamn are those assault marines loving garbage

This is simply not true. It was pure, good old fashioned Stockholm Syndrome and you know it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

This is actually why I like these sculpts. They look like they never touch the ground at all, just float around like portable manned gun platforms. It's a hovering pose, not a flying pose.

If the assault version is just the same sculpts but with chainswords, that will be SUPER dumb.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
hovering over a battlefield with small arms is actually loving stupid and a great way to insure everyone who is otherwise unoccupied will be shooting at you!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, it's confusing because they appear to have super boltpistols, or something similar? If they were toting some sort of rocket launcher or even like a sniping variant storm bolter it would look different. The targeting doesn't help because that dude is clearly pointing his weapons at someone on the ground about ten feet ahead of him, but it makes it look like he is some sort of ruthless zeppelin slowly closing for the close kill. They either need to have long-range weapons or look like they're capable of moving fast enough to use pistols.

Maybe they're like orbital entry guys who come down deep striking or something? I dunno.

I showed those pictures to my wife to get her opinion and she thinks that they just look like they're floating around waiting for something. She also said 'Don't get those guys'.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
I was sorta under the impression they zip over a trench, float for a second raining fire with the twin "assault bolters," then scoot away. I also think they look dumb but I like the sauntering Gravis armor dude.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

hovering over a battlefield with small arms is actually loving stupid and a great way to insure everyone who is otherwise unoccupied will be shooting at you!

That sounds Space Marine tactics 101

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

That's what the gun shields are for, duh.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Ashcans posted:

Maybe they're like orbital entry guys who come down deep striking or something? I dunno.

Ding ding ding: "And dropping in from orbit are Inceptors with the short range fury of their twin assault bolters."

But that still doesn't justify them just hovering there like goobers. You'd expect them to have poses that look like they're falling to the ground at incredible speeds, or absorbing the impact of a hard landing, or zipping around with their fancy jetpacks to shoot you in the face. I'd also be into them just floating around with some fuckoff-huge sniper rifle, even though a completely-stationary, floating sniper would probably be pretty easy to counter-snipe.

I actually really like the fun-size assault marines. They have cool poses that convey the speed you'd expect from a bunch of guys who just have pistols and swords. It's too bad these guys got rid of all that.

Yeah, there's a reason Pharah in Overwatch has a rocket launcher with an infinite maximum range. (Although she can also get up in your face by moving fast with her concussive blast, which these guys look sadly incapable of.)

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 26, 2017

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

It actually looks better with that helmet + color scheme.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TKIY posted:

This is simply not true. It was pure, good old fashioned Stockholm Syndrome and you know it.

Notorious AoS Effort Poster TKIY.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I just realised what the new jump guys remind me of:

Now I kind of want to run a single unit in an RA2 themed Guard army...

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wouldn't even be the first Westwood-game inspired thing.

http://imgur.com/60juTvk

Tiberian Sun (1999)

http://imgur.com/Xmr54G8

Tau (2001)

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 26, 2017

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
That just makes me sad again that they went with increasingly big and stupid battlesuits for the Tau.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Space Marines actually designed to operate as literal marines in space would be a pretty cool design concept. NASA marine looks good. Imagine those dudes floating around in their pressurized armor, flying through space to cut a hole in the enemy bulkhead with chainswords for a kidnapping mission or something.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Give them that helmet to complete the transformation

space marine original character do not steal

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Now I truly don't know which one is the original character

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
GW invented round pauldrons and power armor designs in 1757

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hopefully now, people can more clearly see the dumb hunchback terminator pose I've been griping about for years.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chill la Chill posted:

Hopefully now, people can more clearly see the dumb hunchback terminator pose I've been griping about for years.

Dude on the right isn't a terminator, just a regular dude in souped up armor. There's still plenty of time for embarrassing Primaris terminator design

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

I always thought the hunchiness was just having a lot of the power armor's weight on the back there, probably the battery and other heavy stuff, and so the Terminator leaning forward a little to balance was ~verisimilitude~

But it is still GW proportions on a scale figure so the actual human in there must be like an eight year old or something, like the magical kids who pilot Warframes.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

occamsnailfile posted:

But it is still GW proportions on a scale figure so the actual human in there must be like an eight year old or something, like the magical kids who pilot Warframes.
Well at least Warframes don't require the operator the be physically inside them.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Bistromatic posted:

Well at least Warframes don't require the operator the be physically inside them.
More's the pity.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

The Tartaros and Cataphracti terminator kits look a lot better than the classic sculpt.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Notorious AoS Effort Poster TKIY.

Your mom always appreciates my extra effort.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Dude on the right isn't a terminator, just a regular dude in souped up armor. There's still plenty of time for embarrassing Primaris terminator design

I know, the comparison is to the dumb terminator look. This also means this guy is about as tall and T H I C C as those other marines with giant leg plates who can only shuffle around.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Looks a LOT like terminator armor. Has the same styled shoulders with the rectangular nubs on the bottom, the thigh guards, etc..

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I know, the comparison is to the dumb terminator look. This also means this guy is about as tall and T H I C C as those other marines with giant leg plates who can only shuffle around.

What bothers me most are the ridiculously weak and spindly thighs. If you're looking to lug around a extra oversized suit of armour you can't skip leg day!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

anti_strunt posted:

What bothers me most are the ridiculously weak and spindly thighs. If you're looking to lug around a extra oversized suit of armour you can't skip leg day!

manlet marines, the whole lot of them!

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Chill la Chill posted:

Traded a hunchback for beer belly armor

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ghazk posted:

Traded a hunchback for beer belly armor
Beer belly armor owns though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Crackbone posted:

Looks a LOT like terminator armor. Has the same styled shoulders with the rectangular nubs on the bottom, the thigh guards, etc..

Its not though. Gravis armor is 3+ and +1 T. The flying dudes are in Gravis armor too. We've yet to see the Primaris terminator armor if they actually have any.

• Locked thread