Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Len posted:

Akechi is that kid who has a lovely life and shoots up a school. Only substitute shooting with murdering people's hearts and a school with whoever his daddy doesn't like.

I hope they do the same thing they did with Adachi and give him a more robust s. link so I can hate him more

No.
No one is arguing murder is good. Honestly, Mishima sounds like the person who'd finally lose it just from his one convo at the diner about "purging" people.

Akechi is interesting in the way that he made a ton of effort to gain his popularity and didn't go complete social outcast despite it being the easier way out. Everything about him is artificial from his soft-spoken mannerisms to his fashion sense but his interactions w/Joker are the few times he comes off as normal. Well, normal as a broken person can be regarding his specific circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Alder posted:

No.
No one is arguing murder is good. Honestly, Mishima sounds like the person who'd finally lose it just from his one convo at the diner about "purging" people.

Akechi is interesting in the way that he made a ton of effort to gain his popularity and didn't go complete social outcast despite it being the easier way out. Everything about him is artificial from his soft-spoken mannerisms to his fashion sense but his interactions w/Joker are the few times he comes off as normal. Well, normal as a broken person can be regarding his specific circumstances.

Mishima is also horrifically abused by his parents and authority figures at school and yet doesn't murder people.

Its almost like he's a better person than Goro and its weird to have people be like 'gently caress Mishima for being weird while fellating mass murderer Akechi-kun

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mishima's def a worse character than Akechi.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Zore posted:

Mishima is also horrifically abused by his parents and authority figures at school and yet doesn't murder people.

Its almost like he's a better person than Goro and its weird to have people be like 'gently caress Mishima for being weird while fellating mass murderer Akechi-kun

I'm still waiting for the proof Mishima's parents abused him. Yeah, they were neglectful parents but this is Japan where your parents are never home since they're doing overtime w/their boss. Also, Joker manages to change Mishima for the better despite how terrible his early SL events where it was 100% him fanboying over Phantom Thieves.

I know Akechi is a hosed up person but they could have managed his entire character arc better instead of auto-ranking each time you ignored each other at LeBlance :shrug:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Mishima's def a worse character than Akechi.

They're both awful and if I would have had a chance to ignore him I would have ignored Akechi just like I did Mishima. He kept trying to be my friend and I just wanted him to leave me alone

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Akechi's social link is good.

Len posted:

They're both awful and if I would have had a chance to ignore him I would have ignored Akechi just like I did Mishima. He kept trying to be my friend and I just wanted him to leave me alone

I think Akechi is way more interesting and involved in much cooler stuff even if they are both huge losers.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Alder posted:

I know Akechi is a hosed up person but they could have managed his entire character arc better instead of auto-ranking each time you ignored each other at LeBlance :shrug:

The best part of that S.Link is when Akechi shoots the cognitive Joker and it levels up even though you're not even in the same world. And Morgana just goes, "That's weird"

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The best part of that S.Link is when Akechi shoots the cognitive Joker and it levels up even though you're not even in the same world. And Morgana just goes, "That's weird"

I feel like my connection to Akechi Goro has grown stronger.

Joker is seen visiting Akechi's grave in the rain.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

To be fair he's right.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Len posted:

Was that when he got it? Because he's apparently 17 in the game and his first reaction is murder.

Gonna go ahead and call him a baddie.

Edit: Making me fight three different boss fights before sacrificing himself is redemption? I interpreted it as him knowing he was gonna die one way or the other and wouldn't let me get the final blow. Only the great Goro Akechi was good enough to take down Goro Akechi.

It doesn't matter how poo poo your life is murder is pretty frowned on.

He says he got his power years ago and certainly before Joker did so he was much younger, yes.

His last scene is the entire party, even Futaba and Haru, being like "Yo, don't do this man! Just come on back to us, it'll be okay. Help us help you own your dad." Sure, they probably still would have handed him over Sae when they were done, but if even they could still respect and want the best for Goro, you can too. He has a moment of pause where he honestly thinks about going with them, but then Cognitive Akechi shows up and it sorta becomes a King Lear Edmund situation.

People are weirdly harsh on a teenager with mental and emotional issues itt. A god literally looked at a young teenager and said "gently caress you, kiddo, here's something to incredibly exacerbate your problems"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Moltrey posted:

He says he got his power years ago and certainly before Joker did so he was much younger, yes.

His last scene is the entire party, even Futaba and Haru, being like "Yo, don't do this man! Just come on back to us, it'll be okay. Help us help you own your dad." Sure, they probably still would have handed him over Sae when they were done, but if even they could still respect and want the best for Goro, you can too. He has a moment of pause where he honestly thinks about going with them, but then Cognitive Akechi shows up and it sorta becomes a King Lear Edmund situation.

People are weirdly harsh on a teenager with mental and emotional issues itt. A god literally looked at a young teenager and said "gently caress you, kiddo, here's something to incredibly exacerbate your problems"

He was given powers by a god and he snapped to murder as his go to plan. I bet he had a drat Palace.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 26, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

*Akechi shoots a dude right in front of you and turns the gun on you*
MC: Wow, Akechi's showed a side of himself he's never shown anyone before. I'm honored he can be so vulnerable around me. I feel a lot closer to him now.
RANK UP!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Len posted:

He was given powers by a god and he snapped to murder as his go to plan. I bet he had a drat Palace.

People with Persona can't have palaces, so probably not. Likely because your Persona is your shadow and if you got one it can't really be setting up a delusional construct of your distorted cognition.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
He finally had the power to make his father, the root of all his problems, suffer as he had. To finally get some semblance of power in his life, to get back all the terrible adults and people in his life. But then after getting Loki and through means we do not know, he realizes as he works for Shido, that his father is praising him, respecting him and god loving maybe even loving him, as far as he can tell. It is partly a Dad Never Hugged Me Enough story, but Goro's hypocrisy over the whole thing and the way he's torn between revenge and the attention and love he always wanted is interesting to me.

Goro Akechi Defense Squad

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
Hey there's a spoiler thread guys :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

People with Persona can't have palaces, so probably not. Likely because your Persona is your shadow and if you got one it can't really be setting up a delusional construct of your distorted cognition.

Wouldn't that mean he accepted his distorted desires so readily they became his persona meaning he's fully embraced his horrible life decisions and couldn't come back from it?

Still not understanding the whole "mass murderer isnt a bad guy he just had a bad life" stance. Dude was a mass murderer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/yurifucker/status/867938859874607104

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

How appropriate for the Psi user.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Len posted:

Wouldn't that mean he accepted his distorted desires so readily they became his persona meaning he's fully embraced his horrible life decisions and couldn't come back from it?

Still not understanding the whole "mass murderer isnt a bad guy he just had a bad life" stance. Dude was a mass murderer.
mostly because when a gnostic god comes down and gives you the power to magically kill people and you go become a personal hitman for your awful father, when you wouldn't have otherwise and instead continued to live a terrible sad life, it's harder to assign full fault to the guy who did the murders

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Moltrey posted:

mostly because when a gnostic god comes down and gives you the power to magically kill people and you go become a personal hitman for your awful father, when you wouldn't have otherwise and instead continued to live a terrible sad life, it's harder to assign full fault to the guy who did the murders

Butch Bowers only praised Henry when he was being racist which lead to Henry poisoning a dog. But it's okay because Butch was awful? And then what may as well have been a good gave him the power to kill so are we supposed to be pro Henry Bowers?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Len posted:

Yeah he accepted that, but not having a palace doesn't mean you can't change. Like take the party who all still get development after getting their Persona or how Ryuji months after getting his persona talks about how he wants to become a better person and change himself in the lead up to palace 6. And even Goro seems to realise he was wrong in the end otherwise what would his whole "I wish I had met you sooner" thing even mean.

He is a mass murderer who should be in jail though yeah. I don't think people are disagreeing with that? Just whether he is sympathetic or interesting.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nephrite posted:

Hey there's a spoiler thread guys :(

I feel bad, especially since even someone who only glances at the unspoiled text on this page will probably be clued into what it's talking about.

The spoiler thread is here

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Len posted:

Butch Bowers only praised Henry when he was being racist which lead to Henry poisoning a dog. But it's okay because Butch was awful? And then what may as well have been a good gave him the power to kill so are we supposed to be pro Henry Bowers?

you are supposed to feel bad for henry and wish that he got a happy upbringing, received proper therapy and rehabilitation as well as feel sorry that his life was furthered ruined by a higher power, yes. You can look at things on paper like Heny Was Racist And Killed A Dog and yes he's an awful person but then you use context to view the story for how and why that character is like that and not be "gently caress him, I hope he's always alone and dies in a ditch". You can also take the thought that the character is pitiable and deserved much better than they got, while also recognizing they did do awful, terrible things.

I've rightfully gotten labeled as a Goro Apologist, and while you wouldn't be entirely wrong, no I do not think it is totally copacetic that Goro murdered like 30 - 50 people in the span of two to three years (except haru's dad, that one was good actually), that's very bad and wrong, and he did crimes. But alse he's a sad and interesting and very interesting character series, probably me favorite in recent memory, and it's weird how hostile people are towards him

e: yeah idk how not all text wasn't in spoiler bars, i'll move to the spoiler thread if this convo keeps up

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like if the conversation has been going on for over a page, it should have already gone in there.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

*Akechi shoots a dude right in front of you and turns the gun on you*
MC: Wow, Akechi's showed a side of himself he's never shown anyone before. I'm honored he can be so vulnerable around me. I feel a lot closer to him now.
RANK UP!

Actually you can't see or hear any of that because he's in the metaverse and you're not. You rank up from imagining his attempt to murder you.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He is a mass murderer who should be in jail though yeah. I don't think people are disagreeing with that? Just whether he is sympathetic or interesting.

Good summary of my thoughts on Akechi.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Take it to the spoiler thread, man!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Why are there two threads?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Len posted:

Why are there two threads?

To avoid the thing that's happening right now.

I think they missed that part.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Count Bleck posted:

To avoid the thing that's happening right now.

I think they missed that part.

A conversation in the games thread using properly tagged spoilers? I honestly don't get why there was the need for a second thread

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Moltrey posted:

Yeah people aware harsh on Mishima.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Len posted:

A conversation in the games thread using properly tagged spoilers? I honestly don't get why there was the need for a second thread

I, too, love it when >50% of the stuff on a page is black bars like I wandered into the SCP wiki or some poo poo

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Seriously. $50+ for a 4 inch Jack Frost. That's entirely too much money

Where is it for 50$? All I see is 150-250$ which is way too much money for it, no matter how good it would look on my work desk

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sefal posted:

Where is it for 50$? All I see is 150-250$ which is way too much money for it, no matter how good it would look on my work desk

Be a real man and buy that gigantic Mara statue instead. It's only $400

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Instant Grat posted:

Be a real man and buy that gigantic Mara statue instead. It's only $400

I already am a dick. I don't need knowing that before they talk to me.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sefal posted:

I already am a dick. I don't need knowing that before they talk to me.

buy it loser

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I want the remake to give me a permenant light and dark user that stays in my party.

Or make my old party learn new stuff, come on, why game. Why.

And also, I am salty that the game ends when Joker gets knocked out. This is stupid. It sucks.

Maybe in the remake. Please.

Grr... why do I get a game over when Joker gets knocked out? I is salty.

:rant:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I want the remake to give me a permenant light and dark user that stays in my party.

Or make my old party learn new stuff, come on, why game. Why.

And also, I am salty that the game ends when Joker gets knocked out. This is stupid. It sucks.

Maybe in the remake. Please.

Grr... why do I get a game over when Joker gets knocked out? I is salty.

:rant:

To be fair this game is far more lenient on that. If you die you go back to the last save room you visited.
previous games meant going back to the last place you saved at. It was terrible doing a 3 hour dungeon crawl to die to a light/dark attack at the end by a random enemy

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
I really enjoyed the scene (beginning of December) where the team explains how the plan went down to Joker/Sae/Sojiro. And then they immediately follow it up with several minutes of Akechi and Shido jerking each other off while engaging in two separate monologues about their storied relationship.

To be fair, I guess that's totally in-character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Palace 7 spoilers: "At long last I am on the cusp of achieving mankind's greatest dream: to have the body of Senator Armstrong and the fashion sense of Char Aznable!"

All kidding aside, it was a hell of a fight. I did not bring enough coffee for this one, so I ended up chugging Mystery Stews while Makoto spammed Dekunda. In the end I made it out with only two casualties, which doesn't make it sound like much of a challenge, but that elides how often I was struggling to claw back from the brink of defeat. I will grant you the fight would be much easier if I had built up a better supply of Moonlight Carrots but I got a sense of genuine triumph when I won.