Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
He has an entire crashed engineer spaceship and dead city to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What I'm getting at here is, I really hope Ridley gets to make that interquel about Shaw and David.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't know which is more frightening: Alien Covenant or all these hellishly hot takes!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't. He's 80. Finish the story. Go forward. Let someone else tackle it if they want.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

I don't. He's 80. Finish the story. Go forward. Let someone else tackle it if they want.

I mean, dude's said he wants to? I'm down for someone else tackling it, though!

e: maybe his son could do it? Last Supper was rad.

Comedy option: give it to Blomkamp :haw:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i want george lucas to have a go

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

CelticPredator posted:

I'd feel bad for wanting him to spend his retirement making Alien movies if that weren't one of the awesomest possible ways to spend one's time.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hodgepodge posted:

I'd feel bad for wanting him to spend his retirement making Alien movies if that weren't one of the awesomest possible ways to spend one's time.

I think this is pretty much his stated opinion on the subject, yeah

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

K. Waste posted:

It helps that Alien 3 already begins as a 'condensed' version of Aliens - which is to say, it begins with the protagonist of the first film waking up to discover that her family is dead. In Covenant, this narrative is streamlined so that Newt's biological mother and Newt's adoptive mother are the same person.

The explorers arrive on a planet that, explicitly, has already been colonized. There is wheat growing, someone had to plant it. They don't know that, retroactively, wheat is actually an alien organism, and that it only appears on Earth because the space jockeys cultivated it first. Much like in Aliens, the objective of the colony is that it represents the hope for 'new earths,' to 'build better worlds.' Covenant streamlines the events of Aliens so that what happens to the marines and what happens to the colonists occurs simultaneously.

Progressing further, and despite the crediting of the performers as 'neomorphs,' it is revealed that the xenomorphs themselves are 'clones' or the genetically engineered offspring of the originals/neomorphs. David himself assumes the role of the post-Weyland-Yutani military operation which clones Ripley and the alien queen. Again, the narrative is streamlined: Rather than concocting an entirely new organization and military-industrial order, Covenant simply says that Weyland's son (David) made aliens from researching other aliens.

The climax of the film cycles back to Aliens, explicitly referencing both it and Alien with Daniels plan to just isolate the xenomorph and shoot it out of the airlock. The twist that Covenant adds is that, now, the synthetic is actually aligned with the xenomorph against the humans. David/Walter/Bishop now embraces the "perfect organism," as opposed to human beings, who are consumed by "duty" rather than "love."

Ok, interesting. Thanks for answering.

I had assumed the wheat was planted there for David to feed Shaw before he turned on her, but now I realize that makes no sense at all.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 26, 2017

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

K. Waste posted:

Lol, the climax of Aliens was already 'unnecessary.' Ripley already saved her adoptive daughter from the feminine monstrous, and on the Sulaco she does it again, this time in a giant robot suit.

Nah, the ending of Aliens owned. Powerloader scene was completely necessary.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, that's actually a good question, David kept doing these experiments... how the gently caress exactly? That lab looked extremely low-tech for a genetic engineering lab, and the way black goo creatures breed would seem to preclude low-tech artificial selection.

David is built with a lab inside him.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

MrMojok posted:

It's one of the coolest fight scenes ever made. The last fight in Covenant, on the other hand, was completely unnecessary. I was way ready for the movie to be over by that point.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It is kinda dumb that he even released the alien to attack them on the ship. What if they just shot at it with guns, like they showed in the trailers? They could of destroyed the whole ship by shooting it! What kind of plan did david have there?

They all went into hypersleep anyway without wondering if walter was actually david anyway. There was literally no point to making an alien attack them.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, that's actually a good question, David kept doing these experiments... how the gently caress exactly? That lab looked extremely low-tech for a genetic engineering lab, and the way black goo creatures breed would seem to preclude low-tech artificial selection.

David is an android, has been shown to be able to interpret engineer language and tech and probably has electron microscopes in his eyes or some poo poo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

This is the book I've got:
Giger's Alien https://www.amazon.com/dp/0962344702/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_I04jzbMD9HAAT

I got it when it was semi-new and I certainly didn't pay $100 for it. Is it worth $100? I guess it depends on how much you like Giger's artwork and what kind of premium is acceptable to you for an out-of-print book.

It looks like this is the 600 page one you mentioned and I'm honestly not familiar with it:

Alien https://www.amazon.com/dp/3905929457/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_b44jzbK0KN037

$100 for over 600 pages of Giger's diary notes, production photos, and drawings doesn't sound like a totally bad deal when the Alien Covenant art book is $25 and just under 200 pages. I guess it would depend on the ratio of diary notes to photos, and the quality of the reproduced photos/artwork.

The second, larger one looks really drat tastey and I think I might pick it up and report back about it.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Tenzarin posted:

They all went into hypersleep anyway without wondering if walter was actually david anyway. There was literally no point to making an alien attack them.

The dude hated humans so much that he literally spent ten years developing (with rocks and flutes) an organism specifically designed to kill humans. Now he's finally around humans again, you don't expect him to start filming in HD?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I just discovered that James Cameron thinks AvP is the third best Alien film. (When there was only five films, that is).

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I just discovered that James Cameron thinks AvP is the third best Alien film. (When there was only five films, that is).

creator of avatar holds whack opinion

UnsuitableWasp
Mar 3, 2013
When looking up things about the original Alien you can find so many question about why Ash was trying to shove a magazine in Ripley's mouth- to be honest when I watched it first as a 13 year old I also didn't get the implication. I guess Scott decided to not beat around the bush this time around so David directly mounts Daniels and forcibly kisses her. And to everyone involved's credit I think it was pretty loving creepy. And it disturbed me how you can hear him breathing heavily after the kiss and then he goes for another before he's thrown across the room. Was it foreplay for him regurgitating the embryos in her mouth? Did he do that to Shaw, since he told Daniels he was going to do to her exactly what he did to Shaw? It didn't seem like Shaw died from a chestburster- she looked like she was dissected. And did do that to Daniels because he's sexually frustrated, or because he saw she and Walter were close and wanted to steal her in a way, or both? He was pretty interested in Shaw in Prometheus, but here it wasn't Daniels that I thought he was after- but Walter- who denies him big time and gets a flute through the neck. Guess rear end in a top hat synthetics are just as bad at accepting rejection as rear end in a top hat organics.

Edit: I also really liked one difference between Walter and David- their masculinity. David in both movies has a more delicate voice and demeanor- he's graceful where Walter seems more stiff and rough. David's "My, my. You're pregnant." line comes to mind- it sound like a mixture of mockery, pettiness and jealousy. While Walter seems to be more masculine- just look at the way he walks around the Covenant- he also has a way deeper voice and in their fight it's made clear he's stronger and faster. I don't know if this was done merely to contrast the two androids so we as viewers don't get confused or was it some sort of commentary about the male/female, creativity/brute force, but I liked it.

UnsuitableWasp fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 26, 2017

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

MrMojok posted:

The ending of Aliens was necessary: for the entire film you have Ripley and the Queen battle using their surrogates - the Xenomorphs and the Marines, Ripley needs to get payback for the loss of her daughter and gets to protect her new adoptive daughter like a mother bear defending her cub. Having the Alien Queen isn't reducing the xenos to an ant colony, it's giving a single face to the tragedy that has dogged Ripley's life since setting down on LV426, makes the fight a personal one, and lets Ripley punch her pain and loss right in its ugly loving face.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

UnsuitableWasp posted:

When looking up things about the original Alien you can find so many question about why Ash was trying to shove a magazine in Ripley's mouth- to be honest when I watched it first as a 13 year old I also didn't get the implication. I guess Scott decided to not beat around the bush this time around so David directly mounts Daniels and forcibly kisses her. And to everyone involved's credit I think it was pretty loving creepy. And it disturbed me how you can hear him breathing heavily after the kiss and then he goes for another before he's thrown across the room. Was it foreplay for him regurgitating the embryos in her mouth? Did he do that to Shaw, since he told Daniels he was going to do to her exactly what he did to Shaw? It didn't seem like Shaw died from a chestburster- she looked like she was dissected. And did do that to Daniels because he's sexually frustrated, or because he saw she and Walter were close and wanted to steal her in a way, or both? He was pretty interested in Shaw in Prometheus, but here it wasn't Daniels that I thought he was after- but Walter- who denies him big time and gets a flute through the neck. Guess rear end in a top hat synthetics are just as bad at accepting rejection as rear end in a top hat organics.

good post and yeah that scene was one of the creepiest and most interesting in the film i reckon

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Tenzarin posted:

It is kinda dumb that he even released the alien to attack them on the ship. What if they just shot at it with guns, like they showed in the trailers? They could of destroyed the whole ship by shooting it! What kind of plan did david have there?

David doesn't need to breathe so if it burns a hole in the hull and kills a few people... oops. Still got 2000 colonists in hypersleep.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

VideoGames posted:

The contenders for third place in that scenario are Alien 3, Alien Res and AvP. You could randomly pick one and it'd be equally meaningful. I know this thread has a crush on Alien 3, but still...

I prefer Alien Res personally just because of that one scene where Ron Perlman acts like a monkey. Come to think of it, I think I still rate Alien Res as the third best of them all. It's inoffensive and colorful as a turn-your-brain-off popcorn movie.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 26, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And Prometheus or AvP-R.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Unoriginal Name posted:

So the boring and completely unnecessary fight with the Alien on the Covenant, that's the masterful remake of the iconic Queen vrs Ripley fight? Really? The scene that even people who like the film, are saying should be cut?

Trying to cram all of his remakes into one movie has made it A) poorly paced B) gives poo poo motivations to characters who are trying to ape older scenes

And the movie suffers quite a bit for it

cd is loving opposite land.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Just saw this yesterday after not giving much of a thought to Prometheus since I saw it, I wish I had though since it becomes super clear that this is movie 2 in the David series.

Apart from everyone being insanely stupid (wear a loving helmet when you land on an alien world with life! don't divert your colony ship from where you've planned it to go!) I actually really dug most of the movie.

The new silent hill aliens looked good and gross, I liked the disgusting way they just slither out of people in amniotic sacks and seem to come out wherever they feel like.
I really liked David going full loving Dracula, almost every line he says could have been followed by a massive evil laugh and the crack of lightning.
Walter was a nice contrast and reminded me of a classic old scifi book stoic android. I also think him being so likeable is a kinda double edged sword/crack at the audience since hes likeable essentially because hes the perfect slave and David is probably right that hes basically a lobotomised David.

I thought basically the whole cast did a really good job even the redshirts, while their actions were occasionally stupid their reactions were all believeable.

Daniels, T and Oram?? the religious guy espeically all did a very good job in their roles although I'm not sure they were explored well enough, T is about the only one who feels like a fully developed (if shallow) character. Daniels turns into a super badass seemingly out of nowhere and Oram has his whole faith thing then just dies the dumbest death in the series. Which I suppose looking at it charitably fits into the Prometheus series' thing about misguided faith getting you a horrible grisly death at the hands of a malevolent universe.

All in all a good movie, definitely not perfect or a classic but one of the better movies I've seen in the cinema recently. The opening scene with David was especially fantastic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They don't need to wear a helmet because the computer told them it was safe.

People rely on computers telling them what to do. If they say the air is fine, it's fine. If they say the ship is secure, its secure. If they say look in the organic fleshy vagina flower, you look. It's safe.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Does wheat grow on its own like that or would it have to be tended to?

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

UnsuitableWasp posted:

Edit: I also really liked one difference between Walter and David- their masculinity.

I'd say the accent is more of a class thing. David was built to be Weyland's servant and Walter was the colonists'. David was born with innate and extensive knowledge of priceless antique furnishings. He's kind of a snob really.

UnsuitableWasp
Mar 3, 2013

Sinding Johansson posted:

I'd say the accent is more of a class thing. David was built to be Weyland's servant and Walter was the colonists'. David was born with innate and extensive knowledge of priceless antique furnishings. He's kind of a snob really.

Walter said David made people unnerved. Which to me implies that David was mass produced and sold. And after he started to creep people out, they switched to the Walter model. Also Walter also had knowledge of poems and fancy things- he just kept quiet. He did correct David in the end about Shelley being the author of Ozymandias.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

UnsuitableWasp posted:

Walter said David made people unnerved. Which to me implies that David was mass produced and sold. And after he started to creep people out, they switched to the Walter model. Also Walter also had knowledge of poems and fancy things- he just kept quiet. He did correct David in the end about Shelley being the author of Ozymandias.

In the commercial for David you see him playing chess with himself. I assume the David we see in Prometheus is the first David, made before all others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPoyezWAghE&t=55s

And in case the clip doesn't get it across, yes, David is Satan.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

UnsuitableWasp posted:

Was it foreplay for him regurgitating the embryos in her mouth? Did he do that to Shaw, since he told Daniels he was going to do to her exactly what he did to Shaw? It didn't seem like Shaw died from a chestburster- she looked like she was dissected.

He may have implanted Shaw with an embryo, then dissected her once he realized that the embryo was growing and would bust out soon. Like when you're worried that the baby is in danger so you do a C-section on the mother. It's possible he even did try to save her life and then dissected her after she died. Then once she was dead he had no more human hosts to continue his work and had to just wait.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shaw probably realized what David did and tried to kill him, "betraying him" and so he ended up hating humans even more.

She was clearly distressed during her message.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Distressed in the message that drew the Covenant? Where she was sitting in the chair singing? I feel like, if anything, that's been set up by David to lure people in.

I still think that experimenting with Shaw's body to birth a new generation of Aliens is David's way of honoring her. (And that he really does "love" her) She's now become the mother she couldn't be naturally.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

superh posted:

Distressed in the message that drew the Covenant? Where she was sitting in the chair singing? I feel like, if anything, that's been set up by David to lure people in.

I think it could be read either way. Her voice is kinda weak, as if she's incredibly nervous and she's just singing to calm herself down. It sounds like something someone might do if they knew they were about to crash a spaceship and probably die.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Yah, could be a callback to Ripley singing "Lucky Lucky Star" at the end of Alien. And it was definitely hard to hear clearly.

It kinda seemed to me like at some point Shaw had a moment of relative calm and was just signing to pass the time. Since she was in the chair - it might have been recorded as they were leaving the planet from Prometheus.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When you sing a song in an Alien film, poo poo is real bad for you.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Alien Megathread : The message was actually a warning

UnsuitableWasp
Mar 3, 2013

superh posted:

I still think that experimenting with Shaw's body to birth a new generation of Aliens is David's way of honoring her. (And that he really does "love" her) She's now become the mother she couldn't be naturally.

I agree- and she's not only a mother, she's the mother to his children as well. I also think he really did love her. I mean he told Walter outright that he hates humanity- why would he then lie about his love for Shaw. It's not like it matters to the other survivors- if anything it makes him look even more unhinged in their eyes- an android talking about love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

MrMojok posted:

I didn't say the scene wasn't well-done, I'm saying 'necessity' has nothing to do with it. The powerloader fight does not occur because it's necessary - it occurs in order to escalate the conflict between Ripley and her 'personal demons,' after it has already technically been resolved in a previous scene.

'Necessity' is one of these things like 'Lovecraftian' and 'Ridley Scott is too old and has too much creative security.' Cats have convinced themselves that James Cameron's war-movie sequel to a space slasher is a non-gratuitous film.

Doflamingo posted:

It's one of the coolest fight scenes ever made. The last fight in Covenant, on the other hand, was completely unnecessary. I was way ready for the movie to be over by that point.

Again, you are merely describing your feelings, and beating around the bush. Why is the powerloader fight necessary, versus the apparently unnecessary qualities of the climactic battle in Covenant? What is your justification, based on the formal elements of the respective films, as to why James Cameron successfully repeats and escalates dramatic conflict after a brief period of false security, whereas with Covenant, you believe it's gratuitous?