Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

jBrereton posted:

You are always likely to gently caress someone off at any given time if you are sufficiently powerful that you could reasonably have any effect on someone's life (if for no other reason than you didn't prioritise someone else instead).

Now while I agree that knocking over some governments in the middle east and killing loads of people was Bad, and that less wars and jingoism in general would be Good, I'm not sure very much would change wrt terrorism.

The gently caress does this have to do with anything? Muslims in the west aren't just not prioritized, they're actively vilified at home and can see on live television that their governments have zero regard for muslims abroad. This is literally the perfect breeding ground for radicalization, and removing the foreign policy component will obviously have a clear effect of shrinking the pool of potential recruits for terrorist organizations.

TheRat posted:

(YouGov live poll)

Well, well, well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Is this as sinister as it looks?

https://twitter.com/carldinnen/status/868052400317378562

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Wow. That was really, really good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Firos posted:

What quote is that out of curiosity?

During a section on the ineffectiveness of the War on Terror, he said 'protecting this country requires us to be strong against terrorism and strong against the causes of terrorism'.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 26, 2017

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Nah that's Osborn. Do try and keep up.
What, Mark's mate out of Peep Show?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TACD posted:

What, Mark's mate out of Peep Show?

No, that's Usborne. Do try and keep up.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

"You can never stop terrorism so let's not try" -J Brereton, age 5
It's not that you shouldn't try, because you probably ought to, it's that there will always be one complaint or other for the recruiters of terrorists to blame, so it isn't a good thing to build policy around.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Darth Walrus posted:

During a section on the ineffectiveness of the War on Terror, he said 'protecting this country require us to be strong against terrorism and strong against the causes of terrorism'.

I thought I recognised that! :v:

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

not enough is made of the fact that corbyn's middle name is bernie

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

what do you think they've poisoned the cake or something?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

jBrereton posted:

You are always likely to gently caress someone off at any given time if you are sufficiently powerful that you could reasonably have any effect on someone's life (if for no other reason than you didn't prioritise someone else instead).

Now while I agree that knocking over some governments in the middle east and killing loads of people was Bad, and that less wars and jingoism in general would be Good, I'm not sure very much would change wrt terrorism.

I suspect the west would be seeing slightly less islamic extremism if there was less of a gaping abyss in the memory of the west's failures in the middle east and if those gaping failures hadn't given massive amounts of power to those same people (not just the present power vacuum that created ISIS and allowed them to become the world's biggest terrorist version of mcdonalds, but a long, long history of propping up or arming violent people because it was convinient in the war against the reds that has come back to roost in the past 15 years).

Hell, the creation of IS itself can partly be linked to the fact the US created a group of well-armed paramilitaries to help police Iraq, then hosed off and stopped paying them.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

jBrereton posted:

It's not that you shouldn't try, because you probably ought to, it's that there will always be one complaint or other for the recruiters of terrorists to blame, so it isn't a good thing to build policy around.

You can't really be this goddamn stupid, can you?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Cerv posted:

There's a leaving date - today.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

No, that's Usborne. Do try and keep up.

I thought they did kid's books

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Cerv posted:

It's a P45, they're essentially telling him to step down.

It's seems rather threatening to make a cake like that and send it to someone, especially printing all their details on it.

It's also the Scum, so I wouldn't be surprised if they hid a mic or something in it.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Here's how Bernie can still win...

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Here we.. here we.. here we loving go!

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Oberleutnant posted:

Sir Frederick Banbury posted:

It had been argued that this should be done because it would improve the physical condition of the children. In his opinion good clothing was quite as necessary for the physical development of children as good food. Was it going to be held that they were not only to educate and feed but also to clothe the children? And when all that had been done he supposed it would be necessary to see that they had proper shelter, for that was a very important element in their physical condition. He had as much sympathy with poor people as any hon. Gentleman opposite, but he had spoken as he had because he believed in all sincerity that the very worst thing they could do in that House was to destroy the habit of self-reliance.

He's got a point, though. I mean, it's not that you shouldn't try to feed children, because you probably ought to, it's that there will always be one complaint or the other for poor people to blame, so it isn't really a good thing to build policy around.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

SteelMentor posted:

It's a P45, they're essentially telling him to step down.

It's seems rather threatening to make a cake like that and send it to someone, especially printing all their details on it.

It's also the Scum, so I wouldn't be surprised if they hid a mic or something in it.

You'll notice that his NI number reads "AD 1973"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/hayfestival/status/867813950863196165

Top bantz from Tories (former) MP for Brecon and Radnorshire

Ignoring that for most people in the UK prescriptions aren't free, and aside from that you only get a prescription if your GP thinks you need the medicine. Nobody is taking anti-depressants for the buzz you get from them

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jBrereton posted:

You know whatever our disagreements before I still thought you had brain cells to rub together.

Now,

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

The gently caress does this have to do with anything? Muslims in the west aren't just not prioritized, they're actively vilified at home and can see on live television that their governments have zero regard for muslims abroad. This is literally the perfect breeding ground for radicalization, and removing the foreign policy component will obviously have a clear effect of shrinking the pool of potential recruits for terrorist organizations.
OK let's say the UK government somehow manages to patch things up in that whole neck of the woods and repair relations with the muslim community, that would be groovy if a little unlikely.

At that point you start getting the EDL and all that lot complaining that It's Illegal To Be English Nowadays etc. and kicking off (and let's face it, Brexit, which was more or less caused by English people feeling bad, is probably going to be more damaging than any prior terrorist attack on this country).

And then if you start making them your focus with pandering nationalist rhetoric the rUK all spins out and bits fly off the country and all sorts and it's just one of them.

We've seen what a couple of years of entirely reactive policy will do and it's a bit of a disaster, really.

So while I agree that reducing the amount of wars going on and that is good just on a moral level and as a way to move the discourse away from hasty violence, doing it to reduce the sum amount of terrorism seems a bit spurious.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

forkboy84 posted:

Ah yes, I only take my life-saving asthma medication and anti-depressents because they're 'free'.

Tories get te gently caress.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

spectralent posted:

I suspect the west would be seeing slightly less islamic extremism if there was less of a gaping abyss in the memory of the west's failures in the middle east and if those gaping failures hadn't given massive amounts of power to those same people (not just the present power vacuum that created ISIS and allowed them to become the world's biggest terrorist version of mcdonalds, but a long, long history of propping up or arming violent people because it was convinient in the war against the reds that has come back to roost in the past 15 years).

Hell, the creation of IS itself can partly be linked to the fact the US created a group of well-armed paramilitaries to help police Iraq, then hosed off and stopped paying them.

You forgot "fire the entire Iraqi army overnight" which might have had something to do with it as well

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

TheRat posted:

May is incredibly arrogant. She thought she would win on a walkover and literally didn't try. They didn't have any campaign material ready when she called the election, and as a result the manifesto is an unmitigated disaster.

She's Hillary Clintoning the poo poo out of this

forkboy84 posted:

Ignoring that for most people in the UK prescriptions aren't free, and aside from that you only get a prescription if your GP thinks you need the medicine. Nobody is taking anti-depressants for the buzz you get from them

He's my MP and yes he is a top level oval office. I hope he loses his seat so bad

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

jBrereton posted:

OK let's say the UK government somehow manages to patch things up in that whole neck of the woods and repair relations with the muslim community, that would be groovy if a little unlikely.

At that point you start getting the EDL and all that lot complaining that It's Illegal To Be English Nowadays etc. and kicking off (and let's face it, Brexit, which was more or less caused by English people feeling bad, is probably going to be more damaging than any prior terrorist attack on this country).

And then if you start making them your focus with pandering nationalist rhetoric the rUK all spins out and bits fly off the country and all sorts and it's just one of them.

We've seen what a couple of years of entirely reactive policy will do and it's a bit of a disaster, really.

So while I agree that reducing the amount of wars going on and that is good just on a moral level and as a way to move the discourse away from hasty violence, doing it to reduce the sum amount of terrorism seems a bit spurious.

This is very dumb, my friend are you alright?

E to be less of a dick. 7/7 was the last time I felt rage or despair over terrorism and I wanted to kill the bad men.
Then I realised that it was pretty clearly because we'd gone into iraq.

Since then we've attacked, what, 4 countries?
We never ever stopped the things that were clearly putting us in danger so now terrorist attacks just make me glance up and go "yeah, makes sense, seems like a thing a terrorist oval office would do".
Once we stop blasting our dick into every last wasps nest maybe your argument will make sense.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 26, 2017

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Lt. Danger posted:

He's got a point, though. I mean, it's not that you shouldn't try to feed children, because you probably ought to, it's that there will always be one complaint or the other for poor people to blame, so it isn't really a good thing to build policy around.

get in the bin

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

Jez!

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

forkboy84 posted:

ahh i love getting high off all this free NHS medication that i take just for the sake of it.

how can you be an MP and not know this poo poo works? drat.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Lovechop posted:

ahh i love getting high off all this free NHS medication that i take just for the sake of it.

The requirements of being an MP select for people who are out of touch not against.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I read that as HM Revenge & Customs so it seemed more sinister at first.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Lovechop posted:

One could say it's a requirement, rather than a detriment for the average Tory MP.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

I've no idea either.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Oberleutnant posted:

get in the bin

I suppose it was a bit oblique

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

jBrereton posted:

The only thing hotter than this take is the sweaty-rear end weather outside. None of this is grounded in reality.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

MikeCrotch posted:

You forgot "fire the entire Iraqi army overnight" which might have had something to do with it as well

I had thought the Iraqi army were re-hired during reconstruction?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lt. Danger posted:

I suppose it was a bit oblique

It was only on the second reading I realised you were taking the piss outta jihadbrereton

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

jBrereton posted:

Of all the hot takes in the world your idea that social alienation is a zero-sum game is a top contender for the absolutely dumbest. Congratulations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Getting high as gently caress off these pills that mostly just make my dick not work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

spectralent posted:

I had thought the Iraqi army were re-hired during reconstruction?

Those were new recruits, as I recall a vast portion of the regime army took to insurgency.

• Locked thread