Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
More and more negative reviews are piling up for the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie, its already sitting at a metascore of 38 and the drat thing hasn't even come out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

More and more negative reviews are piling up for the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie, its already sitting at a metascore of 38 and the drat thing hasn't even come out yet.

It's lower than the previous ones, apparently, but Pirates is just one of those movie series that people will watch no matter what.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

John Francis Daley from long, long ago

Finally a movie to dethrone BOYHOOD IT TOOK TWELVE YEARS TO MAKE.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

It's lower than the previous ones, apparently, but Pirates is just one of those movie series that people will watch no matter what.

Yeah the checklist of what people expect from the movie is pretty short

quote:

Things that audiences want to see in a Pirates Of The Caribbean movie:
    - Captain Jack Sparrow
    - pirates
    - more pirates

We're getting to the point where there's a determined set of movies that we can expect to see every year or so: 3 Marvel movies, 2 DCEU movies, 1 Pirates of the Caribbean movie, 1 X-Men movie, 1 Star Wars movie, 1 Disney live adaptation, 1 Fast & Furious, etc etc.. Wash, rinse, repeat for the foreseeable future.

Some are starting to peter out, we used to get one Underworld movie and one Resident Evil movie every year or so but I really don't know if they've got much more gas in the tank. But even then they're just planning on rebooting Resident Evil rather than letting it pass away peacefully.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Resident Evil will probably keep on going since making James Wan the producer makes it obvious they want to keep the whole thing cheap, but with more emphasis on horror. Cheap horror movies have been pretty reliably profitable, and one with a brand name attached might do even better.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm a little skeptical of most reviews because Pirates 5 is a movie people made up their minds about before it was even announced.

Myself included, I'm not seeing that poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The last Pirates movie sucked so I'm not surprised they're saying this one is bad too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Some are starting to peter out, we used to get one Underworld movie and one Resident Evil movie every year or so but I really don't know if they've got much more gas in the tank. But even then they're just planning on rebooting Resident Evil rather than letting it pass away peacefully.

Underworld is probably not ending any time soon. Blood Wars made 80 mil WW on a 35 mil budget.

e: oddly enough, looking at BoxOfficeMojo, Awakening actually outperformed the first three at the box office by a loving huge margin, and then Blood Wars was the lowest-grossing (and still made a healthy profit). Not really sure what to make of that, given Awakening was the point at which the series went from "fun middle-of-the-road action shlock" to "seriously these are barely even loving movies anymore."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SimonCat posted:

Saw this trailer before Alien: Covenant

I must say, the rise of nerd culture as an identity and a thing is making me feel my age.

This just looks dire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwBzUWZGS4

I will say that it at least looks better than Fanboys. But that is also damning with the faintest ever praise.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SimonCat posted:

I must say, the rise of nerd culture as an identity and a thing is making me feel my age.

Revenge of the Nerds, The Last Starfighter, and Joysticks are all almost 35 years old. And then just a few years later you get and The Wizard.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chairman Capone posted:

I will say that it at least looks better than Fanboys. But that is also damning with the faintest ever praise.

Fanboys was cute, I thought. The fawning treatment of the SW franchise in it is kinda dumb, but the jokes mostly worked for me and the movie had a lot more heart than most comedies in its vein ("trying to fulfill the goofy last wish of a buddy with cancer" is a really loving strong premise for a road trip comedy).

I'm not gonna talk it up as some unsung classic or anything, it is absolutely not that, but I'm always baffled when I see people treat a solid 7/10 movie as the Worst Thing Ever.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

It's no Free Enterprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olAKNAnrR-c

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Underworld is probably not ending any time soon. Blood Wars made 80 mil WW on a 35 mil budget.

e: oddly enough, looking at BoxOfficeMojo, Awakening actually outperformed the first three at the box office by a loving huge margin, and then Blood Wars was the lowest-grossing (and still made a healthy profit). Not really sure what to make of that, given Awakening was the point at which the series went from "fun middle-of-the-road action shlock" to "seriously these are barely even loving movies anymore."

I saw Awakening on TV a few months back (which was also how I learned Blood Wars existed and was being released a couple of days later), and I couldn't believe that was actually a thing that they charged money to see in theaters and not a Syfy Original Movie.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I was never really into things that celebrated "geek culture" or whatever and nerds subsequently taking over popular culture and then a bunch morphing into gamergating Trump Nazis sort of makes all things geek even dumber.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

raditts posted:

I saw Awakening on TV a few months back (which was also how I learned Blood Wars existed and was being released a couple of days later), and I couldn't believe that was actually a thing that they charged money to see in theaters and not a Syfy Original Movie.

I, uh... I saw it in theaters and actually really dug it at the time, though that was largely because I was at the peak of my "ugh there's no more R-rated action movies anymore!!!! grrrrr! I need gore in my shootmans movies!" phase and it sure was a shootmans movie with a fuckton of gore in it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In this age of Trump, Underworld should be about Selene's werewolf-vampire daughter uniting everyone to fight a disgusting troll that controls the internet.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Fanboys was cute, I thought. The fawning treatment of the SW franchise in it is kinda dumb, but the jokes mostly worked for me and the movie had a lot more heart than most comedies in its vein ("trying to fulfill the goofy last wish of a buddy with cancer" is a really loving strong premise for a road trip comedy).

I'm not gonna talk it up as some unsung classic or anything, it is absolutely not that, but I'm always baffled when I see people treat a solid 7/10 movie as the Worst Thing Ever.

I followed its twisted development pretty closely at the time for whatever reason and I feel like it had a lot of promise, but the whole issue where they took it away from the original director and tried to edit out the cancer plot and fill it with sex jokes, and then gave it back to the original director with only something like two days to re-re-edit it before its completion critically wounded it. If it had only been the original concept that hadn't gotten hacked up, I'd probably be more charitable towards it. Plus I remember Seth Rogan being in it in like three or four multiple roles, all of which were insufferable.

I also remember at the time that Lucas gave them permission to use Star Wars music and sound effects for the movie, but in the end they didn't use any of it and just did the sort of generic John Williams-esque music, which I thought was weird.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The MSJ posted:

In this age of Trump, Underworld should be about Selene's werewolf-vampire daughter uniting everyone to fight a disgusting troll that controls the internet.

That reminds me of the Buffy episode where they accidentally summon MOLLOCH THE DECEIVER through the internet.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

muscles like this! posted:

The last Pirates movie sucked so I'm not surprised they're saying this one is bad too.

I just saw it, it wasn't bad or anything. It was exactly what I have come to expect from a Disney live action movie in the same vein as the new Star Wars/Marvel. It was OK with the action, some fine humor, you got to see references to things and the characters did what you expect. There was a weak villain whose motivation was to be a one movie villain. If you go to see the Marvel movies, you would probably enjoy this.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah Blood Wars made half as much as Awakening did, $30m domestic/$80m worldwide vs $60m/$160m. Plus it broke the franchise's pattern of pumping out a movie every 3 years and had a 5 year gap from the previous film, I'm guessing that was a tad too long and people just forgot about it.

$30m domestic sends a pretty clear message: "Either co-produce with a Chinese production company and feature a bunch of Chinese vampires next time or just don't bother, because US audiences aren't interested any more."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Turns out there was a 4th Corvinus brother who went to China, and was bitten by a dragon! It gives them super hopping powers.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm not gonna lie, jiangshi would be loving hilariously awesome in the Underworld series.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Guy Mann posted:

Revenge of the Nerds, The Last Starfighter, and Joysticks are all almost 35 years old. And then just a few years later you get and The Wizard.

Don't worry, we got Ready Player One to look forward to next year. :v:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

It was exactly what I have come to expect from a Disney live action movie in the same vein as the new Star Wars/Marvel.

"Exactly what you'd expect" is the opposite of what I want from a Pirates film. The second and third instalment weren't without flaws, but I enjoyed how outright weird they got at times.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah the checklist of what people expect from the movie is pretty short

And yet they keep insisting on inserting some boring love interests in the movies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I just saw it, it wasn't bad or anything. It was exactly what I have come to expect from a Disney live action movie in the same vein as the new Star Wars/Marvel. It was OK with the action, some fine humor, you got to see references to things and the characters did what you expect. There was a weak villain whose motivation was to be a one movie villain. If you go to see the Marvel movies, you would probably enjoy this.

Even by PotC standards it was completely nonsensical.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

According to a screenwriter, Pirates 5 was supposed to have a female villain but Depp allegedly vetoed it because he already fought one in Dark Shadows.

Unrelated, but Amber Heard is playing the Queen of Atlantis in Justice League this year and Aquaman next year.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

According to a screenwriter, Pirates 5 was supposed to have a female villain but Depp allegedly vetoed it because he already fought one in Dark Shadows.

Depp giving up a chance to beat a woman?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Alhazred posted:

He's just not into it if it's only acting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alhazred posted:

Probably hit too close to home, what with being a drunken rambling mess on top of it.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Unrelated, but Amber Heard is playing the Queen of Atlantis in Justice League this year and Aquaman next year.

Dark Shadows isn't a pirates movie, but I guess he's right the only demographic who goes to see pirates movies are depp lovers

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

In fairness to Johnny Depp, it's believable that Eva Green would ruin you for all other women.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The MSJ posted:

It's funny how absurd this sounds if you apply it to male villains.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Fried Watermelon posted:

Dark Shadows isn't a pirates movie, but I guess he's right the only demographic who goes to see pirates movies are depp lovers

Honestly, I want to see it for Geoffrey Rush ha-ha-harring and Javier Bardem acting through a mouth full of tar.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

raditts posted:

It's funny how absurd this sounds if you apply it to male villains.

It's patently absurd, of course, but Depp can't very well just come out and say, "I can't fight a woman onscreen because I'm an accused wife beater," so it'll have to do. I don't even think anyone is supposed to take that excuse seriously. We all know why he can't beat up a woman in the new Pirates movie, but he has to at least pretend we don't.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can have a villain without fighting her directly. In fifth Element Corbin and Leeloo Dallas never even meet the main villain.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I also thought 300 2 did a good job thanks to Eva Green. Even if it's not a physical fight as long as it's a battle of strategy and wit and out maneuvering it'd do.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'm kind of surprised they didn't rewrite the scene where Jack Sparrow has a 300-2-esque sex fight with the female villain when they recast to Javier Bardem.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Basically what I'm saying is Depp-Bardiem gently caress fighting would be cool but so would a Master and Commander type ship to ship naval warfare and strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You can have a villain without fighting her directly. In fifth Element Corbin and Leeloo Dallas never even meet the main villain.

It would also work with Wrath of Khan type scenario where they never fight directly they just have their ships fight, especially since ships are a big part of the Pirates franchise

• Locked thread