Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

lets hang out posted:

What's wrong with monster hunter's controls? You push the stick in a direction and you move, you hit a button and you attack. There's a run button and a use item button and a dodge button and a button that puts the camera behind you or pointed toward a mon you're locked on to. All of these buttons do what they're supposed to, every time you press them.

No camera stick is really my only sticking point. The n3DS nub was an improvement, but still kind of goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only bad metal gear is...Metal Gear 1. You spend half your time swapping cards on the same door until you remember which one goes where

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I liked Peace Walker. I wasn't super into the bosses but it was fun building up the base and such. The way they got around not having the horsepower on the PSP for cutscenes was kind of neat too.

I don't want to comment too heavily on my MGSV experience thus far but it's been pretty fun, even if the story might as well not exist. I don't really like missions where I'm rushed though, I definitely prefer to slowly take out a base at my own leisure.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Which one was the one where the first thing you do is learn to use xray vision to look at an underage girl without clothes? That's as far as I made it in that one so I consider it the worst.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I got tired of the Monster Hunter "kill 20 rathalos and hope they drop their toe nails even if you cut them off cause RNG to make a better sword to fight a different colored rathalos" gameplay loop during 3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

Which one was the one where the first thing you do is learn to use xray vision to look at an underage girl without clothes? That's as far as I made it in that one so I consider it the worst.

Paz isn't underage but that's PW

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm not a huge Peace Walker fan but its much more fun when playing with others. The Latin American setting was also cool.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lakbay posted:

I got tired of the Monster Hunter "kill 20 rathalos and hope they drop their toe nails even if you cut them off cause RNG to make a better sword to fight a different colored rathalos" gameplay loop during 3

Final Fantasy 12 got more and more like that once you hit the crystal place. FF15 seems better about it so far, though. I only play it when my brother comes over, so I'm still in like Chapter 7, but it seems like it's mostly just "Sign up to kill a monster, murder it, go fishing and pick up some oranges along the way, then spend your AP on stuff, rinse repeat," which I like a lot better than "chain this one teleporting horse using glitches and kill him approximately 100 times."

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
In Square Enix news, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Kingdom Hearts 3 and the Marvel Game are schedule for "2018 or beyond" so don't expect anything anytime soon (Page 3)

Also, it might be the way they worded it, but it seems that they're selling the Hitman IP along IO Interactive (Page 10)

And a bunch of other business related stuff, someone might enjoy digging through those, who knows.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Samuringa posted:

Also, it might be the way they worded it, but it seems that they're selling the Hitman IP along IO Interactive (Page 10)

Good to have semi-confirmed, but not particularly surprising. SE wouldn't be selling IO if they thought Hitman was an IP worth keeping around, and IO would be hard to sell without their most well-known IP attached. There's no real reason for them to hold on to it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That remake has been in the works for so long that it sort of feels like it's going to lose a little steam. Like, it's Final Fantasy 7, it will sell copies, it just will, but I still feel like they could have capitalized on it more this holiday season than the next one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Perfection takes time

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Particularly since they're releasing it in installments, so they can sell like one Final Fantasy 7 a year, as long as they don't really screw up the first one, and probably even if they do.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Andrast posted:

Peace walker is the worst metal gear and that's really bad considering how awful mgs4 is
Portable Ops. :colbert:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

all i know about portable ops is a lot of people abbreviate it as "poops"

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Bicyclops posted:

Final Fantasy 12 got more and more like that once you hit the crystal place.

:whitewater: I was going to preorder Zodiac Age since I only played the first 5 hours of ff12 and liked it enough but if hunts are mandatory I might hold off if they're that tedious

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Dang Nintendo's stock has climbed back up to where is was momentarily when everyone got Pokemon Go madness

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

:whitewater: I was going to preorder Zodiac Age since I only played the first 5 hours of ff12 and liked it enough but if hunts are mandatory I might hold off if they're that tedious

Hunts aren't mandatory at all. It's just that the Great Crystal is a huge and kind of tedious dungeon, and the one after it is also huge and tedious. Also, hunts aren't tedious--they're individual, optional mini-bosses you track down and kill once. Some of them can feel kind of tedious to kill if you go after them underleveled, maybe, but they're not missable so if one is too tough for you or taking ages to kill just come back later.

What can be tedious is farming for the rarest equipment, like materials for the Tournesol greatsword or some of the new super-ultra-mega-gamebreaker rare drop weapons in the IZJS version, but that's extremely optional ultimate-weapon stuff--it's even less necessary than the ultimate weapons in FFX, because you can definitely beat all the post-game bosses without the grindy superweapons. And it might not even be relevant depending on what jobs you pick. Some jobs, like the Black Mage, get their best weapons like 25% of the way through the game, because who cares what your attack power is if your staff boosts your fire spells by 50% :v: Or other jobs can do terrible things with strong weapons that you just find in a chest somewhere.

Don't go digging too hard for FFXII equipment guide stuff or you'll get sucked down a "let's manipulate the RNG to get five Brave Suits instead of the one guaranteed one" rabbit hole. FFXII attracts a lot of very :spergin: min-maxers and even the post-game superbosses never even come close to requiring that level of grinding and dedication. (Okay, so the last optional superboss has so much HP that it takes literal hours to kill, but that's true whether you have mega-equipment or not.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 26, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I can't help but see FFVII's episodic deal as setting themselves up for development stalling out again whenever they finally get a part out.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lakbay posted:

Hunts aren't mandatory (and actually, I really like hunts, and they're not too tedious) and all the stuff that sucks is totally optional drops for the best weapons once you get deep into the sidequests. I just play everything to completion. It's partially my own fault, but really, including a weapon that requires a bunch of glitches and hoops to jump through is just a dick move and I wish Final Fantasy would stop doing that kind of thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Hunts aren't mandatory (and actually, I really like hunts, and they're not too tedious) and all the stuff that sucks is totally optional drops for the best weapons once you get deep into the sidequests. I just play everything to completion. It's partially my own fault, but really, including a weapon that requires a bunch of glitches and hoops to jump through is just a dick move and I wish Final Fantasy would stop doing that kind of thing.

I think the best way to describe FFXII's grindiness is this:

It isn't a grindy game at all. It has a few tedious spots, but most JRPGs do. But it will let you grind your rear end off and has a few weird hidden weapons that basically require glitch abuse to obtain. You never, ever, ever need those weapons to complete all of the content and will probably finish all of the content faster if you don't grind for them.

That said, if you're the kind of person who wants to 100% complete the game and find every single weapon and armor, FFXII is your personal nightmare.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Harrow posted:

Don't go digging too hard for FFXII equipment guide stuff or you'll get sucked down a "let's manipulate the RNG to get five Brave Suits instead of the one guaranteed one" rabbit hole. FFXII attracts a lot of very :spergin: min-maxers and even the post-game superbosses never even come close to requiring that level of grinding and dedication. (Okay, so the last optional superboss has so much HP that it takes literal hours to kill, but that's true whether you have mega-equipment or not.)

Yeah, it's basically this. My problem is partially just the way I play games, but also FF12 has an incredibly trash story IMO, so the whole game just feels like incrementally getting stronger weapons to hunt bigger game to me. You definitely don't need, say, whatever the best heavy armor is (that's the one that's dropped by the horse), but it feels really weird to get like two squares from the end of a grid and just stop.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, it's true that the license grid sort of teases you. It's a quirk of the "unlock the ability to use specific pieces of equipment" thing--you're gonna see the names of the really rare equipment right there on your license board, and it'll be grayed out because you haven't found it, sitting there, taunting you.

I really like FFXII's story, but I'm a huge Ivalice nut and I appreciate that, like FF Tactics before it, it's largely about playing individual people in the background of major historical events who end up having a huge effect on how they turn out. FFT did it better, but I still liked FFXII's take on it. In some ways it commits some of the sins that FFXV gets pilloried for--specifically, that your characters are often not present for some really interesting stuff--but unlike FFXV, you still see that interesting stuff happen on-screen, and there's never a moment where it's like, "Wait, did they forget to put that cutscene in?"

But I also recognize it's a personal taste thing. In FFXII, you're going to be playing a group of people who spend their time running around on fetch quests in the background of a bunch of crazy poo poo that they don't really have the power to affect until the very end, and there isn't much of a focus on interpersonal relationships--your party never really comes together as an inseparable, cohesive whole like in my FF games, but instead they're just people who are working together right now because their goals align. And Vaan and Penelo are kinda just along for the ride. (Although I'll actually defend Vaan's inclusion in the story these days. I hated him at first, but as a point-of-view character and a foil for both Ashe and Balthier, I'm glad he's there.)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i got all s ranks on all peace walker missions. which includes non-lethaling all 500 tanks/apc/helicopters or whatever. but then there's the actual fun things like the ghost photographer mission, pooyan, Metal Gear Zeke, the kaz beach date, a literal dinosaur Gear Rex, the banana gun, consecutive cqc, the assassin's creed hay pile easter egg, that good good mission structure... hachi machi... what a good game...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't actually mind the party being a background in the story, it's just all the faux-fantasy Toilkiensque talk and world-building that falls flat for me. Like "You play the mummer's farce well, Judge Gabranth! Faram! We'll have another Nabudis on our hand! Let's ask the magic rabbits about the Necrohol!" I'm least engaged with the game when it presents the story to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That's another thing that I can understand not liking but that I really love. I think it's applied pretty well--the higher-class characters speak in this archaic-sounding, florid language, while the lower-class ones like Vaan and Penelo speak basically modern American English. And Fran's just a weirdo. It's not realistic dialog by any means, but it's very theatrical.

I think it fits for the kind of thing FFXII is doing, basically. I don't really like it for War of the Lions's retranslation, though, if only because the team for that one removed a bunch of really great lines for which I will never forgive them :colbert:

For anyone who hasn't played it, I'd say that if you watch this trailer and can't stand the way people talk, I wouldn't recommend playing the game, though, or you're just gonna be annoyed at every cutscene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_L15cLOkM0

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 26, 2017

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm gonna be a black lady in Far Cry and kill all the whites

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK after playing more Vanquish and watching a stream of it, I think I'm starting to grasp it. Hiding behind cover to cool down now feels like a punishment for not being awesome enough so I think that means I'm on my way

There you go! Real Vanquish Starts Here.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Peace Walker is great. I'm glad they ported it to consoles because the co op is just so much fun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm gonna be a black lady in Far Cry and kill all the whites

Nonlethal against lady enemies, all men get the gat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rev2 is out, the game of the month

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

i got all s ranks on all peace walker missions. which includes non-lethaling all 500 tanks/apc/helicopters or whatever. but then there's the actual fun things like the ghost photographer mission, pooyan, Metal Gear Zeke, the kaz beach date, a literal dinosaur Gear Rex, the banana gun, consecutive cqc, the assassin's creed hay pile easter egg, that good good mission structure... hachi machi... what a good game...

MGS5 was missing all of these silly side missions as far as I could tell and that saddened me

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Nonlethal against lady enemies, all men get the gat.

double tap, to make sure

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Also I freaking called what music they'd use for the FC5 trailer, where's my award for being #1 Right About Video Games.

exquisite tea posted:

I'm gonna guess "This Land is Your Land."

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Also I freaking called what music they'd use for the FC5 trailer, where's my award for being #1 Right About Video Games.

here u go

quote:

...................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is the trailer out?

Edit: found it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Snak posted:

Is the trailer out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdaoe4hbMso

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
dang I hope Far Cry 5 is kinda like Justified: The Game or something

Last one I actually played was 3

no wait Blood Dragon; ha ha that ruled actually

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Same.

And I'm probably gonna get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

drat that's pretty.

• Locked thread