Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
in which Germany asks, "will no one rid me of this troublesome president?"

e: kicker:

quote:

In "Game of Thrones," the Mad King was murdered (and the child that later took his place was no better). In real life, an immature boy sits on the throne of the most important country in the world. He could, at any time, issue a catastrophic order that would immediately be carried out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

There Bias Two posted:

Just? No. His behavior is definitely pathological. Many psychologists have already staked their professional opinion on it.

you can't diagnose someone from their public appearances, and anyone who says they can doesn't have much of a professional reputation to begin with

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
When Reagan was losing his mind, I assume there were staffers and people close to him just trying to prop him up for as long as possible?

edit: Actively trying to cover up his illness, is what I mean

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

RiggenBlaque posted:

When Reagan was losing his mind, I assume there were staffers and people close to him just trying to prop him up for as long as possible?

edit: Actively trying to cover up his illness, is what I mean

You'll be able to tell when Trump has truly lost it, because he will start taking a great interest in childcare policies (i.e. Ivanka's pet subject.)

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So can the GOP just hold the rest of the country (and in some ways, the world) hostage forever? It doesn't seem sustainable.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ratbert90 posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/867834190078906370

He's celebrating a lower than 50% approval rating less than 150 days into his presidency. :allears:

Considering it was dogshit earlier, this is a win for him

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

FizFashizzle posted:

heh

Also the Trumps were briefed on this the day before comey was fired lol

How are they such bad liars? Is "I can tell you that" Eric's version of "believe me"?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Senju Kannon posted:

you can't diagnose someone from their public appearances, and anyone who says they can doesn't have much of a professional reputation to begin with

It's not really about the inability to diagnose. It's a self-imposed ethics rule, called the Goldwater Rule.

http://www.salon.com/2017/02/18/goldwater-rule-in-trumpland-psychiatrists-debate-weighing-in-on-the-president-mental-health_partner/

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

SocketWrench posted:

Rasmussen at 48% also isn't in line with the other polling firms, they have him hovering around his lowest ratings.

But polls literally don't matter in Trump's America.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

SocketWrench posted:

It's still dogshit. Rasmussen is 10 points above the normal average, most have him around 38-39%

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

RiggenBlaque posted:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/01/reagan-alzheimers-family-feud-lesley-stahl

quote:

In her book, Stahl noted that she "had come that close to reporting that Reagan was senile. I had every intention of telling the American people what I had observed in the Oval Office."

But she didn't. This week, I asked her why not. In an email, she replied,

quote:

Because Reagan seemed to "recover"—I decided I could not go out on the White House lawn and tell the public what his behavior meant. So I never did a report.

I was obviously not equipped to interpret what LOOKED like a lapse into semi-awareness. Was it what I had assumed at first: senility? Was it an "act"—a way to avoid answering my questions? Was it some form of dementia (maybe not Alzheimer's)? I decided I couldn't report on my observations at all that night.

Stahl added,

quote:

Later, when I would ask White House officials if they had ever seen him float away like that, they’d say yes, but that, as with me, he always pulled himself together. It was confusing for everyone.

Read that whole article.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Claiming Trump is mentally ill or has dementia is a way of exonerating him his actions because he is not in full command of his facilities if he did have those diseases. It's also a slight against people who really do suffer from dementia and Alzheimer . It's just not a good thing to do.

he probably has a personality disorder but personality disorders are mostly just ways of classifying the way in which someone is an rear end in a top hat

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

FizFashizzle posted:

heh

Also the Trumps were briefed on this the day before comey was fired lol

If someone says they aren't hacked that's pretty much making sure they will be soon.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Lightning Lord posted:

So can the GOP just hold the rest of the country (and in some ways, the world) hostage forever? It doesn't seem sustainable.

The country's not being held hostage - all these folks were elected.

But to answer your actual question the answer is likely yes, barring a reform of your electoral system

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Trump's USDA and Department of HHS have given Scott Walker approval to require drug testing for all Wisconsin residents on food stamps, Medicaid, or unemployment insurance.

The Wisconsin joint finance committee just approved it at the state-level today.

This will be the largest public drug testing program in the United States; even more than the Federal government.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/lo...5391bb6d48.html

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Tengames posted:

The more likely answer is trump is an old man who treats his body like poo poo , doing the most stressful job in the world , and its catching up to him

I would agree with this if not for the decades of his history that says "nah, this is par for the course". Trump's been mentally unhinged forever. The only reason it hasn't landed him in some facility is he has money

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

quote:

Stahl concluded in her book: "I now believe [Reagan aides and his wife Nancy] covered up his condition, and many continued to as they wrote their memoirs. But then, the public knew something wasn't right. There were all sorts of signs. We all looked the other way."

Whether or not Stahl made the right call—she seems to believe she should have reported something at the time—the evidence she later gathered indicates that Reagan aides were concerned about his mental condition during his presidency. Perhaps it wasn't Alzheimer's but another health issue. Yet her account and her subsequent reporting suggests Ron Reagan is closer to the truth than Michael Reagan. The Gipper was slipping while he was occupying the most powerful position in the world, and the public was kept in the dark.

This is the most important part of that article I posted.

Family members and friends will lie to themselves until they can't anymore just because of what it means.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

Well it's not gonna last forever. US politics have always swung back and forth, but with a preference for conservatism.

I think they're overextended currently. Their coalition is becoming less relevant (whites, evangelicals, patriarchy), so they've carved out a position as the opposition party. It was wrong of people to assume that increasing diversity and shifting generations had made Democratic dominance a sure thing in the near future, but the GOP can't continue forever as it is now. Voter suppression, gerrymandering, money, and back-into-a-corner rage are currently fueling the GOP. Trump is the manifestation of that. It's not sustainable.

They don't have a real platform for governing. Being in power and in the spotlight has showed that they don't even want to be there. It's not going to reflect well on them in the upcoming elections, and it seems like left-leaning voters have decided they have to do more than just show up and vote every couple of years.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

From a few pages back, sorry:

wizard on a water slide posted:

What societal function does a definition of "mental illness" that doesn't include "is capable of methodically slaying dozens of strangers without being deterred by fear, empathy, or a self-preservation instinct" even serve?

The issue of gun control is more complicated than yelling "mental health" and throwing up your hands, but dang that implies some pretty dark poo poo about the ultimate purpose and utility of psychology and psychiatric medicine to me.

Because what you're describing are potential symptoms of mental illness, not a diagnosis. Mental illness itself isn't a diagnosis, it's a descriptor for a whole fuckload of illnesses that happen to fall under the same heading. Furthermore, you can't label all spree killers under the same diagnosis, because 1) a diagnosis requires more than just 'is displaying X symptom', and 2) their pathology isn't consistent across multiple individuals. You get far more consistency in other factors (white and male in the US, for instance) than you do for symptoms of mental illness. A lot of people can have varying symptoms of mental illness while not actually being mentally ill. For instance, there's a very large percentage of our population that will experience auditory hallucinations at some point or another...they're not mentally ill, it's just our brains are weird and sometimes signals get crossed. Extreme anti-social behavior can and does happen in individuals who don't fall under the very very wide umbrella that is mental illness.

Furthermore, it's probably just a dumb thing that we stick all those illnesses under that same umbrella anyway. Let's pretend for a moment that every single mass shooter and terrorist could be filed away under a single diagnosis; blaming mental illness as a whole is still ridiculous, like conflating having a cold with, say, ebola, and saying they're functionally the same thing because they both involve viruses and can come with fevers.

To continue with this flawed comparison, coughing or sneezing doesn't actually mean you're sick, they just might mean you're sick, particularly (and this is important) if they're symptoms that are ongoing. There are a whole host of different things that can lead to coughing or sneezing, but it would be silly to assume every cough and sneeze were evidence of, not just illness, but ebola, without any other attempts to diagnose. And yet we do this with mental illness all the time. It's maddening.

TL;DR: Being crazy in the common vernacular (aka, doing something that seems very out of the ordinary and/or strange) does not necessarily mean you are crazy in the medical sense (or that, even if you are, a diagnosis can actually be made when just observing potential symptoms).

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump's USDA and Department of HHS have given Scott Walker approval to require drug testing for all Wisconsin residents on food stamps, Medicaid, or unemployment insurance.

The Wisconsin joint finance committee just approved it on the state-level today.

This will be the largest public drug testing program in the United States; even more than the Federal government.

Legit hope scott walker chokes on his deli ham and kraft singles sandwiches

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What intel do people think the Chinese have on the whole Russia thing? I see a lot of talk so to speak about the Russians murdering loose ends and the FBI/NSA/CIA doing investigations into it and the GOP sticking their head in the sand but what about other countries and their intelligence agencies? This whole thing isn't happening in a vacuum right? Where does everyone else fit in in all of this?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Didn't they do that in FLorida and find that it was incredibly cost prohibitive?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

The Wisconsin joint finance committee just approved it on the state-level today.

This will be the largest public drug testing program in the United States.

I remember a newspaper did a detailed calculation before where a state drug testing program like that would cost taxpayers something on the order of 1000% more than it would save by banning people from aid that it finds were using drugs. People voting for that "to save state money" are literal idiots.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The Wisconsin joint finance committee just approved it at the state-level today.

I hope someone is measuring how stupid and costly this is going to be so it can finally be disowned at least as much as trickle down is.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

The fiscally conservative party votes to yet again waste money to drug test people who use drugs at a lower rate than the general population!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Didn't they do that in FLorida and find that it was incredibly cost prohibitive?

It's been done in a dozen states or so and they have all failed miserably.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

And it will cost more than it saves, but hey some donor just got a huge return on his investment.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hollismason posted:

That was only for TANF; not Medicaid, Food Stamps, or Unemployment insurance and the Obama admin didn't grant him a waiver.

Since they had no waiver, they got sued in federal court shortly after it started and decided not to go forward with it.

This is about 6x larger than the FL plan, even though Wisconsin is much smaller.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

That's really terrifying

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

What intel do people think the Chinese have on the whole Russia thing? I see a lot of talk so to speak about the Russians murdering loose ends and the FBI/NSA/CIA doing investigations into it and the GOP sticking their head in the sand but what about other countries and their intelligence agencies? This whole thing isn't happening in a vacuum right? Where does everyone else fit in in all of this?

It's anyone's guess what the Chinese know.

As far as western europe, there's a constant drip drip of articles that they all were screaming at the Americans to do something about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/13/politics/trump-russia-british-intelligence/

quote:

British and other European intelligence agencies intercepted communications between associates of Donald Trump and Russian officials and other Russian individuals during the campaign and passed on those communications to their US counterparts, US congressional and law enforcement and US and European intelligence sources tell CNN.

The communications were captured during routine surveillance of Russian officials and other Russians known to western intelligence. British and European intelligence agencies, including GCHQ, the British intelligence agency responsible for communications surveillance, were not proactively targeting members of the Trump team but rather picked up these communications during what's known as "incidental collection," these sources tell CNN.

The European intelligence agencies detected multiple communications over several months between the Trump associates and Russian individuals -- and passed on that intelligence to the US. The US and Britain are part of the so-called "Five Eyes" agreement (along with Canada, Australia and New Zealand), which calls for open sharing among member nations of a broad range of intelligence.

this is all very obvious, very out in the open, and its just waiting for an official report to be issued so politicians can't hide behind ignorance any more.

There are plenty of high ranking senators and republicans who know the full extent of this, and the fallout is going to be substantial.

Hollismason posted:

Not for the person who owned the drug testing company!

You know, the governor. who spearheaded the whole thing.

No, he was not thrown in jail for corruption, why do you ask?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sloober posted:

It's been done in a dozen states or so and they have all failed miserably.

Yeah. There is no reason to do it other than to score political points. It costs many many times what not issuing some stamps does.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Well it's not gonna last forever. US politics have always swung back and forth, but with a preference for conservatism.

The right are dismantling the means of ever swinging that pendulum back again. They've normalized every single form of aberrant behavior demonstrated by Trump and their other candidates, including violence against women and reporters. They've normalized treason. They've normalized consigning literally millions of Americans to death.

The right's leaders literally have no reason to renounce any of their shitheads, no matter how bad the behavior. I believe that if a senior right wing politician were indicted on child molestation charges the leadership would stand by them all the way to the prison entrance.

"Disturbing if true.."
"Let the people decide..."
"The Liberal media..."
"Need to get all the facts..."
"The Intolerant Left..."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

RuanGacho posted:

I hope someone is measuring how stupid and costly this is going to be so it can finally be disowned at least as much as trickle down is.

The Wisconsin budget for 2018 funds over $500 million through loans, but they don't actually have a cost for this program.

The budget assumes that it will save money by kicking people off or denying people who fail.

They also say that even if very few people fail, that it will save money because people who would fail the drug tests just won't apply.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

China, I don't know. But it's said that a lot of the intelligence that is driving the investigation has come from other five eyes countries. And Germany and Israel. Others like China probably do have their own cache of info, but as they're not directly involved I'd imagine they're just holding on to that and using it to steer their own dealings.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is a civil war.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

evilmiera posted:

Yeah. There is no reason to do it other than to score political points. It costs many many times what not issuing some stamps does.

It's never been done for food stamps or medicaid before. Only TANF and unemployment insurance.

This will be the first time ever and is why so many more people will be required to be tested compared to Florida, which is obviously much bigger.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Grover Norquist has to be the worst name in history. And I knew a guy who changed his name legally to Pac-Man upon immigrating to America.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

mcmagic posted:

This is a civil war.

No, it's civil war when this empty bluster means they're going to die next time someone is able to take a shot at them.

Just because they're stupid enough to believe the public will remain compliant and civil doesn't mean it's a war yet

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Fake, no mention of vaping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

This is a civil war.