Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

The right are dismantling the means of ever swinging that pendulum back again. They've normalized every single form of aberrant behavior demonstrated by Trump and their other candidates, including violence against women and reporters. They've normalized treason. They've normalized consigning literally millions of Americans to death.

The right's leaders literally have no reason to renounce any of their shitheads, no matter how bad the behavior. I believe that if a senior right wing politician were indicted on child molestation charges the leadership would stand by them all the way to the prison entrance.

"Disturbing if true.."
"Let the people decide..."
"The Liberal media..."
"Need to get all the facts..."
"The Intolerant Left..."

Yeah, they're trying, but it's a desperate effort by a shrinking coalition that knows it can no longer win by numbers alone. It seems like anyone's guess as to whether crooked tactics and entrenched power will ultimately dominate the majority will of the country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

RuanGacho posted:

No, it's civil war when this empty bluster means they're going to die next time someone is able to take a shot at them.

Just because they're stupid enough to believe the public will remain compliant and civil doesn't mean it's a war yet

It's a relatively cold civil war at the moment but it is definitely a civil war.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Realistically its races like the one they just lost in Montana that the Dems have to be winning in order for a super majority, or probably even "only" a majority, in the House/Senate to be assured in 2018.
What are you talking about? This was a blood red district and it came within 7 points. If every race in 2018 mimics that shift, Democrats are gearing up for the biggest representational shift in generations. This is the dumbest "nothing matters" post I've seen.

kartikeya posted:

Normalizing mental health care in that fashion and getting society to the point where we think of mental illness like gum disease is about as big of a job as fixing all of society's other issues. The reality is that there isn't a way to stop it completely, any more than there's any way to stop, say, terrorism from ever happening. All we can do is push for things that will reduce it as much as possible without giving up all of our freedom and privacy to do so. Where exactly that line lies is something we all have to figure out (and good luck on that one).
Brace for personal anecdotes:

I had to study figures from my university's mental health counseling office. The past 5 or so years have seen a dramatic uptick in students utilizing those services, to the point where the school now has to contract out to other companies in order to handle the demand. My professor likes to jack off about :jerkbag:"kids these days lack resiliency," :jerkbag: but I personally see it as the growing normalization of mental health issues. I think we're headed in the right direction, and it may not be as much about changing hearts and minds as it is waiting for old fogies to nod off.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 26, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

No, it's civil war when this empty bluster means they're going to die next time someone is able to take a shot at them.

Just because they're stupid enough to believe the public will remain compliant and civil doesn't mean it's a war yet

Yeah not to dismiss what happened to Jacobs but before the actual civil war we had, there was a much more violent and infamous incident involving a cane. It was murderous assault taking place in the US Senate itself.

It sets a pretty high precedent I think. Until something like that happens, I'm not too worried about what I'll do here in Texas if civil war breaks out.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Senju Kannon posted:

you can't diagnose someone from their public appearances, and anyone who says they can doesn't have much of a professional reputation to begin with

Diagnose obviously not, but if you spend a lot of time around elderly patients you get to learn to see the warning signs and changes in personality quite well. The confusion and slowly declining cognition can be masked quite well by patients, but the personality changes can be very recognizable. Just my empty thoughts on the matter, but if he is declining and has that waxing and waning functionality you see in early dementia, it would also explain why the most attention seeking man in America is suddenly retreating to his resort for long stretches of time.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

punched my v-card at camp posted:

You're absolutely right, the fact that the Democratic party has consistently had success competing in statewide races in Montana, including Senate elections, has absolutely no bearing on their ability to win a statewide election in Montana. They're totally different!

The Democratic Montana governor won in 2016 with less than 4% against a prototypical GOP candidate while in the very same election, in the very same region, the GOP congressman won by 16.

Then, 6 months later, the guy who narrowly lost the gubernational election went up against an off-brand, politically unknown candidate and won.

That's totally the same thing. Also, the DNC should have invested a huge amount of it's war chest because apparently marginal returns isn't a thing and Montana's at large seat is super important in the broader context beyond a Dem feel good moment. Hint: the GOP passed a horrible bill WITHOUT that seat filled.

gently caress off dude. Anyway, Im going to bed, so you can continue to not post in here until 2018.

Boon fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 26, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Goddamn. I do like that the other guys at first try to say something but realize he's on a roll and just let him monologue. I don't really know this Joe guy but regardless of his affiliation, that's some sound, salient talk he's spittin' there for the most part.

And again, thank you for these posts, PPJ.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Baronash posted:

What are you talking about? This was a blood red district and it came within 7 points. If every race in 2018 mimics that shift, Democrats are gearing up for the biggest representational shift in generations. This is the dumbest "nothing matters" post I've seen.

That's a pretty big if.

Unless GOP politicians choke-slamming reporters becomes a very frequent occurrence, it's pretty stupid to expect the shift to be realized nationwide.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah not to dismiss what happened to Jacobs but before the actual civil war we had, there was a much more violent and infamous incident involving a cane. It was murderous assault taking place in the US Senate itself.

It sets a pretty high precedent I think. Until something like that happens, I'm not too worried about what I'll do here in Texas if civil war breaks out.

The political opponents of the higher population areas believe they're some sort of self made and sustaining ubermench but they need look no further then the Oregon wildlife refuge incident as to what will happen when people are not trying to send them 5lb bags of sugarless gummy bears and dildos and just instead telling them to gently caress off.

We are in a cultural war for sure, but they are going to lose.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 26, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

Didn't they do that in FLorida and find that it was incredibly cost prohibitive?

It's a giant waste and just serves to fill the pockets of testing companies. Poor people can't afford.drugs. the false positive rate alone is gonna get.people killed due to lack of necessary medical care.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

enraged_camel posted:

That's a pretty big if.

Unless GOP politicians choke-slamming reporters becomes a very frequent occurrence, it's pretty stupid to expect the shift to be realized nationwide.

I don't expect the shift to be realized nationwide, (though it's worth pointing out that the shift is pretty consistent in early voting numbers as well) I'm replying to his assertion that winning this district in Bumblefuck, MT was a barometer for the Democratic Party's chances in 2018.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Hillary should of decked a reporter

Unironically this. Hillary laying out Chris Cilliza would've at least meant he wouldn't be writing more EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS poo poo until he woke up.

It's gonna be awesome once Sinclair owns 80% or so of all local broadcasting since they're ramping up their acqusitions and tens of millions of voters will never see anything negative about conservatives and everything negative about their opponents prior to elections. They're easily as evil as Fox News, if not moreso, but much better at not coming across as blatantly in the tank for the GOP.

Pakled posted:

Well, I wouldn't say Georgia is "looking good" as in Ossoff has an advantage. It's a dead heat right now.

Ossoff is going to lose. The next several weeks will have the full focus of the GOP turned to that race now that Montana's over and as good as Ossoff is doing the fact remains that the area is a very red district (R+8, over 70% white) in a state whose government will run interference for the GOP without hesitation. Considering Gianfonte would've liked won with over a 10% margin of victory had it only been a two person race, Georgia's turnout from Dems would need to blow Montana (and Kansas) out of the water.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

People still watch local news?!?

I mean, hell, olds, but I'm old and to me Sinclair sounds like a plot to set up a conservative rotary phone network

Local news viewership blows cable news viewership out of the water and local news is seen as extremely trustworthy compared to cable news. Sinclair being a near/total monopoly on local news coverage can easily cause a several point shift in elections just through its skewed coverage.

Office Pig posted:

Oh look, the polling places in Fulton have been shaken up.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/fulton-changes-district-poll-spots-after-unforeseen-circumstances/kU9onYZzOOPXFCqw1kKGoM/

Who could have ever expected this.

Oh hey, the state government is running interference. What a shock.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Isn't blanket drug testing for government benefits unconstitutional?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Captain Invictus posted:

Goddamn. I do like that the other guys at first try to say something but realize he's on a roll and just let him monologue. I don't really know this Joe guy but regardless of his affiliation, that's some sound, salient talk he's spittin' there for the most part.

And again, thank you for these posts, PPJ.

He SUCKS.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

People aren't going to trust local news anymore if Sinclair goes through with their plans.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump's USDA and Department of HHS have given Scott Walker approval to require drug testing for all Wisconsin residents on food stamps, Medicaid, or unemployment insurance.

The Wisconsin joint finance committee just approved it at the state-level today.

This will be the largest public drug testing program in the United States; even more than the Federal government.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/lo...5391bb6d48.html

Now where does Wisconsin rank out of all 50 states on where not to live in America?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

RuanGacho posted:

People aren't going to trust local news anymore if Sinclair goes through with their plans.

Fox News is still the most trusted cable news channel and in the top 5 for most trusted news source altogether.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

RuanGacho posted:

Yeah, nobody "trusts" Fox News, America's most trusted news channel, at the moment either, right?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...tm_source=atltw

quote:

The Trump Organization Says It's 'Not Practical' to Comply With the Emoluments Clause

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TyroneGoldstein posted:

This is a fantastic post. My uncle has been taking care of my Aunt, who had early onset, for almost 20 years at this point. I would never wish it on anyone, even the President and I don't like how I see certain undercurrents going on with even good people almost not resisting the urge to get a shot in on this one. Trump is a contemptible piece of poo poo, but him going through that ordeal as President is real sad and absolutely loving terrifying for all of us at the same time.

Part of why I hate him so is that he made me want him to suffer. I hate that he was able to affect me that way. I don't hate anyone, but I do hate him and I consider it a violation of my mind and spirit that he changed me that way. I will always hold it against him.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

enraged_camel posted:

This is a really bad post if you actually follow the thread for a lot of reasons.
1) The chokeslam had marginal impact due to early voting and no-change restriction
2) It's already a trend nationwide. That's not the question, the question is, what's driving it and will it continue.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's also not practical for republicans to practice oversight. Makes sense.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Kaboobi posted:

Yeah, nobody "trusts" Fox News, America's most trusted news channel, at the moment either, right?

Most people don't. Those that do wouldn't trust anything to the left of them anyways.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Apparently it's acceptable to ignore the Constitution if it's inconvenient. They're anti-American through and through.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wow, great stuff.

Unfortunately he's going to have to wait for a real leader that can unite the country but in this political climate that could be a long time.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

You're not wrong about Fox news but television itself is losing effectiveness.

When was the last time you took a local news story seriously? I'm going to be surprised if the dynamics of local reporting dont significantly change as local government entities gain the ability to connect directly with constituents.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I mean they're being honest.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's gonna be awesome once Sinclair owns 80% or so of all local broadcasting since they're ramping up their acqusitions and tens of millions of voters will never see anything negative about conservatives and everything negative about their opponents prior to elections. They're easily as evil as Fox News, if not moreso, but much better at not coming across as blatantly in the tank for the GOP.

In a saner world, the FTC and FCC would block this, but they certainly aren't going to under this administration, and of course Sinclair is going to be doing their best in the meantime to make sure that situation continues.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Citizen's United is AWESOME!

https://twitter.com/level39/status/867405510663974914

e: I'm the Support To Ensure Victory Everywhere Pac-Steve.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

Apparently it's acceptable to ignore the Constitution if it's inconvenient. They're anti-American through and through.

Could you imagine the alternate timeline where Hillary Clinton says it is too difficult to reveal her foreign money ties, the white house would be on fire right now.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

aware of dog posted:

I'd be very surprised if it was, since the Constitution doesn't really address benefits or drugs, both being largely unknown back then.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Baronash posted:

I think we're headed in the right direction, and it may not be as much about changing hearts and minds as it is waiting for old fogies to nod off.

Society, like science, advances one funeral at a time.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mother of God.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

aware of dog posted:

Supreme Court has never ruled on it.

It's been struck down in federal courts because the Obama administration opposed and the benefits were implemented by the state, but the program was paid for and jointly run by the federal government.

Other courts have also ruled that it could be interpreted as an unwarranted search.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

You're not wrong about Fox news but television itself is losing effectiveness.

When was the last time you took a local news story seriously? I'm going to be surprised if the dynamics of local reporting dont significantly change as local government entities gain the ability to connect directly with constituents.

Local tire shop fails to rotate tires after claiming it had. We went undercover to investigate. Tune in at 10 to WSGTTBFOXTV63 for the latest breaking news.

BarbarianElephant posted:

I'd be very surprised if it was, since the Constitution doesn't really address benefits or drugs, both being largely unknown back then.

Thomas Jefferson was addicted to laudanum, I think.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 26, 2017

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

BarbarianElephant posted:

The Florida drug testing program was declared unconstitutional several years ago because it violated the 4th amendment.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mcmagic posted:

This is a civil war.

jesus christ is that real? i always though norquest was one of the "sane" ones.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Confounding Factor posted:

Now where does Wisconsin rank out of all 50 states on where not to live in America?

Pretty high, the rust belt is a shithole and things are only getting worse

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

People need to really get it out of their heads that there are "sane" or "good" Republicans if somehow the last sixteen years hasn't made that super clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus christ is that real? i always though norquest was one of the "sane" ones.

Drown the federal government in a bathtub guy?

Same?

• Locked thread