Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

rudatron posted:

A media landscape dictated by a small number of media conglomerates is effectively equivalent to a totalitarian control of the press, by any metric you care to use.

so, uh, you don't know anything about totalitarianism, huh? or anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Say something meaningful, I'm not interested in interrogating your vapid 'impressions' that you mistake for insight.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
OK, what you said was laughable even by your standards. go back to posting trolley problems about which you have no particular insights.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
if you think the media landscape in America is effectively equivalent by any metric that one might care to choose to that of fascist Italy, you are dumber than a particularly dumb bag of rocks.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

baloogan posted this earlier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcy8uLjRHPM

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Media conglomerates self censor to preserve their diverse business interacts, tow the 'party line' of the ruling elite, are under the supreme editorial control of a very small number of people (who are unaccountable, and themselves encultured into said elite, and in the case of Murdoch, highly ideological), and are today practicing less and less actual journalism, in favor or republishing press releases from the government or lobbyists.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
ok, now list all the metrics by which they are not equivalent. i mean, not that any of those things were metrics per se, more qualities stated in vague terms. and if vague qualities is all you need, boy howdy, it will blow your mind how dissimilar the American press is from the fascist press!

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The American media landscape being effectively equivalent to the media landscape of Stalinist Russia is true in the sense that the American party duopoly is effectively equivalent to a one party state. Which is true, in the sense that a one party state is equivalent to an absolute monarchy. Which is true, in the sense that an absolute monarchy is equivalent to an oligarchic/aristocratic republic. Which is true...

Either you're speaking in generalities that mean nothing, or what you said was laughably stupid.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
you guys certainly got all your vaccinations

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why do you believe that a 'duopoly' is distinct from 'totalitarian'? Today, both sides are simply representing different members of the elite, each with their own prejudices. But both are conjoined by their class interest. It's actually a lot more sophisticated then the scheme of fascist Italy, which sought to bring everything into one 'side'. What you have instead, is a perpetual 'changing of the guard', making promises of monumental change, but delivering none. Both sides are subsumed and subservient to the same totalizing system, cogs in the same machine. The result: nothing ever changes.

That is the 'effectively equivalent' you're looking for. From the standpoint of the liberal ideal, of bad ideas being pushed out by good, of a diversity of thought, that is, the experience of the system from a practical, user-facing perspective, the result is the same.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Baloogan posted:

I just inject mercury directly into my eyeballs fortnightly to keep the chemtrails off.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

rudatron posted:

Why do you believe that a 'duopoly' is distinct from 'totalitarian'? Today, both sides are simply representing different members of the elite, each with their own prejudices. But both are conjoined by their class interest.

This is about the crudest class analysis possible; it does not rise to the level of the most vulgar Marxism. That's not how class works. Even if you can't be bothered to read anything else, you can surely read The 18th Brumaire.

I'm not going to address your general "1984 but with liberals" thesis because lol. Jesus Christ.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

ScrubLeague posted:

I just inject mercury directly into my eyeballs fortnightly to keep the chemtrails off.

yeah ill need a hit off that mercury syringe when ur done with it

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
tet anus

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

This is about the crudest class analysis possible; it does not rise to the level of the most vulgar Marxism. That's not how class works. Even if you can't be bothered to read anything else, you can surely read The 18th Brumaire.

I'm not going to address your general "1984 but with liberals" thesis because lol. Jesus Christ.

Do you have anything to contribute or are you just making sure we know how smart you are

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

the marketplace of ideas has resulted in enormous growth in LGBT acceptance and support for LGBT rights over the past two decades.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Dapper_Swindler posted:

surprised this hasnt been posted yet.

far cry 5 gets announced tomorrow, it takes place in Montana and the bad guys are a white supremacist christian identity hard right cult.

the alt right is of course pissed and screaming and bitching. as are some dumber liberals(no surprises there unfortunatly) but i liked the last 3 enough and Ubi letting you shoot right wing nutjobs sounds fun.

it still looks like they're in a loving jungle and there will probably be reskinned leopards

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
hey guys, just because there's some big media companies in the united states, this means it's exactly equivalent to totalitarian state control of all media outlets, also

https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Neither of those things are good

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Neither of those things are good

one is demonstrably better than the other though unless you have an extreme ideology-induced mental handicap

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess it's all good then

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I guess it's all good then

hey man stop attacking media conglomerates, you're being so dumb right now

stop that, stop being so dumb

remember that fox news is not actually hitler and is therefore cool and good

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Leave fox news alone!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

it still looks like they're in a loving jungle and there will probably be reskinned leopards

We call them cougars out West. Personally I'm looking forward to befriending a moose.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
oh man fox news sure is bad. xinhua on the other hand? much worse

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
friend, I dont just accept bad things as not so bad because worse things exist. Sorry.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
the global times is 100000% better as a source of info than any murdoch owned rag

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

sneakyfrog posted:

friend, I dont just accept bad things as not so bad because worse things exist. Sorry.

that's great and lovely but rudatron was arguing that actually the worse thing is the better thing hth

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

that's great and lovely but rudatron was arguing that actually the worse thing is the better thing hth

didnt realize that weirdness was what you were responding to, my apologies

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

it seems like what is allowed to be read is just as relevant as what is allowed to be printed

no one is going to arrest you for reading settlers or the rhizzone but the fascist secret police in italy probably would have arrested you for reading l'unita

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Newspapers suck.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Ace of Baes posted:

Newspapers suck.

i use them to line bird cages!!!!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I get all my news from tweets referencing dril tweets or the simpsons

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dril tweet meme on it's last legs

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

well montana does have cougars.

anyway trailer and info came out. seems to be more of a christian doomsday cult ISIS deal then a race based alt/hard right deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdaoe4hbMso

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well montana does have cougars.

anyway trailer and info came out. seems to be more of a christian doomsday cult ISIS deal then a race based alt/hard right deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdaoe4hbMso

They look ripped straight from the FLDS Cult.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Baloogan posted:

:fishpop:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
kinda feel like shooting a buncha virtual christian cultist rednecks now

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

kinda feel like shooting a buncha virtual christian cultist rednecks now

Just play any shooter and leave voice chat on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Media oligopolies are in a sense far more insidious than state-run censorship regimes, because there's always going to be lib dipshits like Bulgogi Hoagie running interference for the Murdochs of the world.