Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Countdown until Trump tweets "We're going to make Friend Russia's lives easier"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

"For example, no one has sanctioned Kasparov yet! We have an entire list of prominent Russians provided by our sources that should be sanctioned!"

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

titanium posted:

The body slam was ordered by him personally to test the optics water. The test is finish time for phase 2.
Hadn't early voting already happened?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

They are going to put sanctions on the Russian opposition.

The ones who aren't dead, anyway.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
They'll probably input super harsh sanctions on things that don't affect Russia at all like " All Volkswagen imports from Russia are completely BANNED". Etcc. So it'll look like really tough sanctions but then in reality they do nothing.

" We completely banned all avocado imports from Russia, as you can see we are very tough on Russia".

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Hollismason posted:

They'll probably input super harsh sanctions on things that don't affect Russia at all like " All Volkswagen imports from Russia are completely BANNED". Etcc. So it'll look like really tough sanctions but then in reality they do nothing.

" We completely banned all avocado imports from Russia, as you can see we are very tough on Russia".

"Their millenials can no longer get avocado toast"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Basically, just imagine the most ineffectual sanctions on Russia that would do the least harm but would sound like the worst thing.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
"We're going to curb even more of their exports. Look at Chechnya! All those homos trying to export themselves! We'll ensure they never get out. If they even exist..."

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

titanium posted:

The body slam was ordered by him personally to test the optics water. The test is finish time for phase 2.
I would like to play in this eFed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I need an emote that means "not mutually exclusive"

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Ooh, did I miss Grover Norquist time? Did everyone somehow forget that he LITERALLY COMPARES *THE HOLOCAUST* AND *TAXATION* AS EQUALLY EVIL CONCEPTS

He thinks someone losing a portion of MONEY

is exactly the same amount of evil

as the extermination of millions upon millions of human lives

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hollismason posted:

Basically, just imagine the most ineffectual sanctions on Russia that would do the least harm but would sound like the worst thing.

We're going to throw the Russians into the briar patch?

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
If you ever feel the urge to use the phrase "sane Republican" repeat the following until the urge passes.

THERE ARE NO SANE REPUBLICANS.

Do not allow bullshit to stand as fact.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/868151928181723138

God damnit Comey

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What in the goddamn world?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

CNN posted:

Sources close to Comey tell CNN he felt that it didn't matter if the information was accurate, because his big fear was that if the Russians released the information publicly, there would be no way for law enforcement and intelligence officials to discredit it without burning intelligence sources and methods.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

So Comey again was worried that the document would be leaked by his own people.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Comey was misled, in a small, possibly meaningless way.

eta: God drat, I am not good at this

Star Man posted:

Wrong state, dipshit.
I'm not racist, but all those rectangle states looks alike.

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 26, 2017

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Didn't they do that in FLorida and find that it was incredibly cost prohibitive?

That and the pesky issue of the 4th Amendment.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This just popped up, not sure of the significance of this?

http://observer.com/2017/05/mike-rogers-nsa-chief-admits-trump-colluded-with-russia/

E: beaten

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This just in: Nation's Top Cop A Flop; Ball Dropped

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

From a not-moron perspective it looks like he was trying to do damage control on a situation he thought could get waaaay worse.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
There are other worlds than these, gunslinger
There is a world where Comey resigned to Clinton
There is a world where the centrists are reaching out to embittered rural boomers
There is a world where the congressional GOP is still having a temper tantrum
There is a world where my fiance didn't break my heart
But it is not this one. Comey is a stooge. Rural boomers are the enemy. There are no sane Republicans.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Crackbone posted:

From a not-moron perspective it looks like he was trying to do damage control on a situation he thought could get waaaay worse.

I want to give Comey the benefit of the doubt on this stuff, that he was playing 3D Chess and trying to keep ahead of a worse situation by sacrificing pieces strategically. But god drat, dude.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I view that as a question thats technically precise, but easy to misread. And when you look at the fact that the survey had about 200 questions, it's real easy to misread. If I was taking that survey there's a reasonable chance I'd say yes without really thinking about it, because I think Russia's actions affected the vote tallies but not by hacking the machines, they affected them through their propaganda and email hacking. If i stopped to think about it I'd probably realize what they were asking, but I could easily screw it up.

I'm not sure I agree, a reasonable number of Democrat respondents were able to say they thought the Russian state released the DNC emails to help Trump get elected but didn't think they altered vote tallies. I suppose a push-poll might try to make it easy to make the kind of mistake you mention, but my understanding is that The Economist/Yougov polls are generally regarded as fair.

On further thought a 200 question survey is kind of ridiculous, there's no way you're getting reliable results after question 20 or so.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Crackbone posted:

Comey is a stupid idiot that may in the end redeem himself.

We'll see.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Skex posted:

If you ever feel the urge to use the phrase "sane Republican" repeat the following until the urge passes.

THERE ARE NO SANE REPUBLICANS.

Do not allow bullshit to stand as fact.

I don't know. The current governor of Massachusetts comes pretty close.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if the FBI is still full of trump fans that would leak poo poo specifically to help him anymore. I hate hate that we are relying on these dumbfucks to investigate them now.

Alter Ego posted:

Much like ACAB, ARAB

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nocturtle posted:

I'm not sure I agree, a reasonable number of Democrat respondents were able to say they thought the Russian state released the DNC emails to help Trump get elected but didn't think they altered vote tallies. I suppose a push-poll might try to make it easy to make the kind of mistake you mention, but my understanding is that The Economist/Yougov polls are generally regarded as fair.

On further thought a 200 question survey is kind of ridiculous, there's no way you're getting reliable results after question 20 or so.

The exact question asked is in the image, that's what I was going off of. I don't think it was intentionally misleading but I think the way it was phrased and the volume of questions asked made it easy to get a number of people who believe Russia influenced the election but did not hack the voting machines to say "yes".

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
If I am understanding this right.... he closed the investigation because he knew of false emails that could drop through wikileaks or the like at any time that purported to show lorreta lynch was co-opted by Clinton and that would influence the election. So he tried to get ahead of it by ending the investigation before it was actually done. But even then... why not just say that there was fake Russian emails? Really bizarre, and if you are going to do that then why would you reopen the investigation a week ahead of the election? There is a bunch of info missing here.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I would like to play in this eFed

Good luck getting it past the BC. Just sayin.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Apoplexy posted:

I want to give Comey the benefit of the doubt on this stuff, that he was playing 3D Chess and trying to keep ahead of a worse situation by sacrificing pieces strategically. But god drat, dude.

I don't think anyone's playing 3D chess. Politics is more tactical than strategic.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think because releasing that information would burn their sources

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

particle9 posted:

If I am understanding this right.... he closed the investigation because he knew of false emails that could drop through wikileaks or the like at any time that purported to show lorreta lynch was co-opted by Clinton and that would influence the election. So he tried to get ahead of it by ending the investigation before it was actually done. But even then... why not just say that there was fake Russian emails? Really bizarre, and if you are going to do that then why would you reopen the investigation a week ahead of the election? There is a bunch of info missing here.

Answer is that Comey is a Republican and didn't want Hillary to win. In common with every other Republican out there, he didn't stop to consider that meant that Trump would win.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alter Ego posted:

The state legislature of Massachusetts is overwhelmingly Democratic, which limits the kind of damage he can do. There are no sane Republicans. GOP Delenda Est.

EDIT: also the only reason he won Governorship this time (aside from Massachusetts having this weird belief in balance and thinking Republicans need to have a turn at running things every few years), is because the Democrats again ran Martha Coakley for something and she is not a good candidate for Senate, or Governorship. She's a fine AG but she can't campaign well.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 26, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Answer is that Comey is a Republican and didn't want Hillary to win. In common with every other Republican out there, he didn't stop to consider that meant that Trump would win.

Yeah he figured he could damage Hillary so that her victory would be narrower and thus give the GOP more ammo to decry her as an illegitimate President.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

There are sane Republicans they are just evil.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah he figured he could damage Hillary so that her victory would be narrower and thus give the GOP more ammo to decry her as an illegitimate President.

I think this is it.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Looks like violence against reporters, actual or threatened, is fast becoming a Republican plank.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/868125634773614592

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/868118572752568322

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rebel Blob posted:

Looks like violence against reporters, actual or threatened, is fast becoming a Republican plank.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/868125634773614592

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/868118572752568322

Oh good, we're back in the days of Sarah Palin's "Second Amendment Solutions" only now it's directed against the press.

Also I'm pretty sure if a Black Democrat (or any Democrat) did this "joke" it would not be received as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Oh man when some reporter gets shot for real I can't imagine how many thoughts and prayers are going out for his or her family.

• Locked thread