Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
vanquish was really good, but i'm kind of sad it didn't have the super explosive, satisfying or even just charmingly goofy endings that resident evil 4, god hand and most of platinum's games have. it had a good last boss but the actual ending just sorta... ends, doesn't even fade out on elena chasing gideon with a hatchet

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone tried Gwent/is it actually fun to play against people instead of easy AI opponents

Sakurazuka posted:

For ages it was a 'recommend to anyone no matter what they were asking about game' like Dark Souls or Dwarf Fortress so I dunno what happened.

I just assume it's​ the usual chat thread hating everything nonsense.

Maybe eventually we'll loop around to a new phase where the good games that are now bad are good and new good games stay good for more than a month

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Gwent is much better against people than AI, the since the AI is really easy to bait.

What I don't like is that they added targeted abilities, which were absent from W3 version of gwent and made it much more straightforward.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In Training posted:

The only bad metal gear is...Metal Gear 1. You spend half your time swapping cards on the same door until you remember which one goes where

For a while I really hoped that they'd make 3D remakes of Metal Gear 1 and 2 but eventually I realized that if Kojima did that the entire story would be a complete retcon and it'd basically have maybe 6% to do with what the originals were so I gave up on that dream.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The Colonel posted:

vanquish was really good, but i'm kind of sad it didn't have the super explosive, satisfying or even just charmingly goofy endings that resident evil 4, god hand and most of platinum's games have. it had a good last boss but the actual ending just sorta... ends, doesn't even fade out on elena chasing gideon with a hatchet

I get a sense that Vanquish wasn't really finished, which is a shame :(

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the thing that actually bugs me about vanquish is that there's almost no payoff to beating the last boss. in basically any of shinji mikami or platinum's other action games you'd get a super cool last boss beat down, and they sort of give you that, but they rob it of satisfaction less than a minute later. plus, the main villain kind of barely has any presence and he doesn't actually contrast with sam at all, so he's a lot more limp as a rival than, like, prince vorken, or jeanne, or vergil, or even azel. which is i think what they were trying to present him as?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Snak posted:

Gwent is much better against people than AI, the since the AI is really easy to bait.

What I don't like is that they added targeted abilities, which were absent from W3 version of gwent and made it much more straightforward.

The Witcher 3 version is sorta solved, though. CCGs are always about card advantage, so the fact it was super about card advantage and there were only two factions who could draw cards or recur them from discard. They had to find something to add complexity if it was ever going to be standalone, so targeting kind of makes sense.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

an actual dog posted:

I get a sense that Vanquish wasn't really finished, which is a shame :(

Welcome to Platinum.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, Gwents play strategies have more in common with a traditional card game than a TCG, though.

Yeah, I get why it was necissary, but it's a much less elegant​ game for it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lots of platinum's original titles feel really good and, at the very least, complete at the end though??? vanquish is the exception, most of them have pretty satisfying endings even if, like, bayo 2 doesn't land the same heights that bayo 1 did, it's just vanquish that ends on a supremely limp note.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The Colonel posted:

lots of platinum's original titles feel really good and, at the very least, complete at the end though??? vanquish is the exception, most of them have pretty satisfying endings even if, like, bayo 2 doesn't land the same heights that bayo 1 did, it's just vanquish that ends on a supremely limp note.

it's Lurdiak, making a bad post

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lurdiak posted:

For a while I really hoped that they'd make 3D remakes of Metal Gear 1 and 2 but eventually I realized that if Kojima did that the entire story would be a complete retcon and it'd basically have maybe 6% to do with what the originals were so I gave up on that dream.

Metal Gear Solid basically is a 3D remake of Metal Gear 2, gameplay-wise at least.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

raditts posted:

Metal Gear Solid basically is a 3D remake of Metal Gear 2, gameplay-wise at least.

wasn't Metal Gear 2 the one with the deadly poisonous hamsters

e: and also Black Color, the elite assassin operative from NASA

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Don't forget the terror of RUNNING MAN, the man who runs in a circle. :allears:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

raditts posted:

Yeah I know, and it's very similar in structure, too, but I wanted to play the story of those first 2 games in 3D instead of having to fiddle around with janky-rear end MSX gameplay. Also with voice acting. :toot:

The Colonel posted:

Every Clover/Platinum title I've played feels like it could've used some more dev time or polish or like it ran out of budget near the end. Bayo reuses stage assets constantly, Anarchy Reigns needed like 3 balance patches, Wonderful 101 lacks enemy variety... Even Madworld gets really repetitive in the last few stages.

I still really love them, but I'm almost always left with the feeling that it could've been just a little better with more time/money.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 26, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Standalone Gwent seems cool but also seems like you need to really dive into it because every card has many different abilities now and figuring out synergies alone looks like work (or just google op decks I guess). It's a bit overwhelming like having the first contact with MTG be some late expansion with all those cyclings, exiles and splicings thrown at you at once.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

Don't forget the terror of RUNNING MAN, the man who runs in a circle. :allears:

He's... he's so fast!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Standalone Gwent seems cool but also seems like you need to really dive into it because every card has many different abilities now and figuring out synergies alone looks like work (or just google op decks I guess). It's a bit overwhelming like having the first contact with MTG be some late expansion with all those cyclings, exiles and splicings thrown at you at once.

The interface is also really bad. I guess I should give them some constructive feedback...

But yeah, good luck even figuring out what cards do...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Monkey Fracas posted:

dang I hope Far Cry 5 is kinda like Justified: The Game or something

Last one I actually played was 3

no wait Blood Dragon; ha ha that ruled actually

Should I go back and watch Justified? I kind of fell off a bit into season two. Not because of anything particularly wrong with the show but that was around the time I shifted most of my television free time into games

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I actually don't mind the interface, I like that there are multiple ways to do different actions (dragging, double clicking, clicking on-screen buttons, using keyboard shortcuts).

But yeah, figuring out cards looks like a time investments. They have a lot of abilities, those abilities work together or against one another but then you can play some cards to certain rows and some cards to various rows and you have to figure out what makes the most sense...for each of 5 factions.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 26, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Should I go back and watch Justified? I kind of fell off a bit into season two. Not because of anything particularly wrong with the show but that was around the time I shifted most of my television free time into games

Justified is one of my favorite shows of all time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Ff12 is so boring that the new release adds a goddamn 4x speedup option to try and make it remotely playable

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would give it a shot; I think it improves (as most shows tend to) as it gets past the first season.

But yeah all of my TV/Book/Slacking time has been devoted to videogames lately too. I should probably read a book or something before I dive into Persona 5 after I'm done with 4... I have a paperback of The Shining sitting here from when I bought a bunch of used books from that one big used bookstore in Portland when I was on vacation there

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Ff12 is so boring that the new release adds a goddamn 4x speedup option to try and make it remotely playable

It's gonna be completely uncontrollable in 4x speed to the point that I feel like that's a comedy option at best. It's hard enough to control movement in 2x speed in the original IZJS release.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Palpek posted:

Isn't that kind of how they all function, though? Hearthstone etc. have all seemed like MTG clones that try to start with mid-level complexity and kind of land on one of the sets with about six keywords and minimal interaction. I guess that complexity is sort of wasted if there's like a maximum of five decks you can possibly have extant in the meta, though.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Alright so it looks like FC5 is just Waco: The Game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

remember metal gear acid?? also

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

They should just re-release FF13 as a button you press that gives you all the game's achievements.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FF15 is basically just a camping simulator with four dudes saying things that all sound like double entendres over and over again, with some kind of Final Fantasy 12-like story in the background that I barely understand because of how long I take between interacting with it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like I guess there's a bad Empire with factions within it and they're all trying to kill the player character because he's a prince, and they have some kind of robot army, but I can't keep track of who's in what faction. Also Noct has some kind of important magical girlfriend but he seems afraid of her for some reason?? And it feels like he slept with Gladio's sister that time in the hotel.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I can promise you if you don't understand FFXV's story it's not your fault.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Bicyclops posted:

Isn't that kind of how they all function, though? Hearthstone etc. have all seemed like MTG clones that try to start with mid-level complexity and kind of land on one of the sets with about six keywords and minimal interaction. I guess that complexity is sort of wasted if there's like a maximum of five decks you can possibly have extant in the meta, though.
I haven't played Hearthstone so I can't compare. Other digital card games I played were all MTG so welp.

It seems like every faction could focus on a few different gimmicks so it doesn't look that simple (but of course a couple of them will be OP) and many cards can be used by different factions (especially heroes) so their abilities are spread throughout the entire game. One big change from TW3 Gwent is that there's a limited ammount of hero cards you can have in your deck so you're always forced to fight against the opponent's tactics against your regular army which makes the game varied. You can't just go all hero cards + 2 healers or something.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My favorite thing is when you get the city where they tell you, very clearly, that only the women work in the city, but then literally every store that you go to is staffed by a man.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have not touched a Final Fantasy game since X and have completely lost track of whatever the gently caress is going on with that series

is 15 better in some major way than the last like 10 years of FF output? Seems like people made a big deal about it when it came out

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

I have not touched a Final Fantasy game since X and have completely lost track of whatever the gently caress is going on with that series

is 15 better in some major way than the last like 10 years of FF output? Seems like people made a big deal about it when it came out

Honestly, I think FF15 is a massive, disjointed mess of a game and I also don't really see the appeal of the combat, but I know there are some people here who love the hell out of it.

But also I think 12 was the last truly good single-player Final Fantasy game (unless you count spin-offs or the occasional direct sequel, in which case Lightning Returns is also good) and I've been told many, many times how wrong I am for that one so who knows, maybe 15 is amazing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Monkey Fracas posted:

The big deal was mostly that it came out at all.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Its a ok game stopped by being great thanks to an incoherent storyline and an atrocious combat system.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

I like it a little better than 12 (I skipped 13, 11 and 14 are online games), because the camping simulator part of it is actually kind of fun. You learn recipes, catch new fish (the fishing mini-game is actually pretty okay), hunt down dangerous beasts for people in diners, and drive around in a car listening to Final Fantasy soundtracks from older games. The dungeon diving feels a little less tedious, crafting magic is fairly simple, combats give you a little to do besides mash the command button, and if you do lots of sidequests, it feels like you never run out of money for stuff you want to buy. There's an extent to which it's a bit shallow, but it feels a little less laden with "dodge 200 lightning bolts" gimmicks. The only irritating things I can think of are times when it forces you to fight a specific monster in the rain (you literally just have to wait for it to rain), and sometimes there are fish that can be really tough to find.

The story is kind of bad and also fairly incomprehensible, but like all Final Fantasy games, it takes up about 10 percent of your time playing it, probably.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Macarius Wrench posted:

Its a ok game stopped by being great thanks to an incoherent storyline and an atrocious combat system.

Saying that the combat is atrocious is a bit too far. It works fine but isn't great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hot Coldman

• Locked thread