Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ThePeavstenator posted:

...wallowing in a sea of depression as you realize that not even the constant praise of strangers nor the physical pleasure of sex can fill the emotional void inside of you?

uh, that's a bit real for the funny commuter forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

final status update on my first ever cold calling recruiter: employed :agesilaus:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lots of figgies being had, congrats

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Diva Cupcake posted:

can't wait for my year end bonus, ty finance

Khym
Jun 11, 2002
congratulations!

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
congrats probably-getting-ripped-off-by-our-first-real-job buddy

you are not alone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

raminasi posted:

congrats probably-getting-ripped-off-by-our-first-real-job buddy

you are not alone
even if im ripped off the arrangement is pretty sweet. i asked for a lot of cash, and i got the exact amount i asked - enough to pocket at least a 3rd of the salary after living like i would like to

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

even if im ripped off the arrangement is pretty sweet. i asked for a lot of cash, and i got the exact amount i asked - enough to pocket at least a 3rd of the salary after living like i would like to

tracksuits for everyone!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Diva Cupcake posted:

welcome to tha

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
more figs in more places

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cis autodrag posted:

he called. figgies are in my future. he did wrestle base pay out of me during the talk though.

:chome::mome::chome::mome:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

cis autodrag posted:

he called. figgies are in my future. he did wrestle base pay out of me during the talk though.

:toot: :toot:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

cis autodrag posted:

now, sashay away. from epic

don't say poo poo until you have a firm offer and plans are in motion

have fun! :D

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

apple and the other big ones are smarter than dramatically lowballing prospects. at the absolute worst you're just a bit shorter than what you could have negotiated but it'll wash out long term. don't lose sleep over it. only the small fries who genuinely need to cut every corner and are dumb enough to short the people building the very foundation of their company do it. or oracle.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

cis autodrag posted:

congrats and good luck!

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cis autodrag posted:

Grats, welcome to the club.

BRB printing out my paystub and rolling around in it.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

cis autodrag posted:

Nice!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
we're in figgietown here

Iverron
May 13, 2012

cis autodrag posted:

:toot:

some day my figs will come

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Symbolic Butt posted:

we're in figgietown here

cementing yospos position as the richest forum

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
yospos literally took me from a dead end tech comm slave job to a successful engineer. pos is good. i lived in my in laws basement 5 years ago ffs. shits crazy.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

in what state are you licensed as a PE? :grin:

but seriously congrats

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

cis autodrag posted:

yospos literally took me from a dead end tech comm slave job to a successful engineer. pos is good. i lived in my in laws basement 5 years ago ffs. shits crazy.

I ascended to higher middle class without having a degree and I could say stuff like "I worked hard to get this" but actually I just parroted stuff from tef and shaggar and people just believe that I know something about computers

this is my yospos success story

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 26, 2017

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Symbolic Butt posted:

I ascended to higher middle class without having a degree and I could say stuff like "I worked hard to get this" but actually I just parroted stuff from tef and shaggar and people just believe that I know something about computers

this is my yospos success story

yeah same it's great

i should read the programmer thread more tho.

Khym
Jun 11, 2002

cis autodrag posted:

pos seems good and stable and populated with good computerers

technical communities are weirdly vulnerable to people not knowing what they are talking about or being ridiculously self-serious (or both)
see hackernews or r/programming which were both once very good
or, heaven help you, /g/

I guess what I'm saying is it is extremely rad that you learned good habits from here and it payed off and it makes me want to stick around

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Khym posted:

pos seems good and stable and populated with good computerers

technical communities are weirdly vulnerable to people not knowing what they are talking about or being ridiculously self-serious (or both)
see hackernews or r/programming which were both once very good
or, heaven help you, /g/

I guess what I'm saying is it is extremely rad that you learned good habits from here and it payed off and it makes me want to stick around

it's a good community. people know their stuff but no one takes it too seriously because who cares it's just the funny computer forum.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also we chase randroids and "race realists" and mra shitheads out with torches and pitchforks whereas every other computer nerd forum allows those people to fester because ostracizing people is always a really mean thing to do guys

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

some local place wants to interview me next week, I fly out for a real interview somewhere else the week after.
it'll be good practice and who knows they could be a good backup option if they offer some figgies

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sapozhnik posted:

also we chase randroids and "race realists" and mra shitheads out with torches and pitchforks whereas every other computer nerd forum allows those people to fester because ostracizing people is always a really mean thing to do guys

i mean, there's a couple assholes who linger anyway but they stay out of the programmer threads so whatevs.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lined up my phone tech interview with amazon for next week. we'll see how badly i get brutalized.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Rex-Goliath posted:

apple and the other big ones are smarter than dramatically lowballing prospects. at the absolute worst you're just a bit shorter than what you could have negotiated but it'll wash out long term. don't lose sleep over it. only the small fries who genuinely need to cut every corner and are dumb enough to short the people building the very foundation of their company do it. or oracle.

nah from what ive heard oracle realized they're a soul-sucking hellscape so when they built up their cloud team they just went a-poaching from amazon and microsoft and whomever by offering triple

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also goongrats to all the figgie getters itt i am v happy for u

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

...wallowing in a sea of depression as you realize that not even the constant praise of strangers nor the physical pleasure of sex can fill the emotional void inside of you?

also same

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Bloody posted:

nah from what ive heard oracle realized they're a soul-sucking hellscape so when they built up their cloud team they just went a-poaching from amazon and microsoft and whomever by offering triple

well yeah if you're on larry's good side ofc you're gonna get paid

Khym
Jun 11, 2002

Sapozhnik posted:

Yeah I couldn't put my finger on why coming back to SA was like a breath of fresh air after years on reddit et al, but there it is.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yospos: its very good!!!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bloody posted:

yeah a former boss of mine is at orcl and he's become the type of guy who upgrades from a beater pickup to a boxster to a gt3

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
So say I am in a LMO situation and all of my server side programming is effectively worthless on a resume. The only "real" programming language i know is javascript, which is sad as hell. Should I just pick python or something?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

So say I am in a LMO situation and all of my server side programming is effectively worthless on a resume. The only "real" programming language i know is javascript, which is sad as hell. Should I just pick python or something?

just be really good at explaining how the concepts you know from your experience map to other problem spaces. i am really good at explaining how you'd do thing <x> with a b+ tree for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

and also learn c#.

• Locked thread