Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KKKLIP ART posted:

That conference would own and nobody could tell me otherwise :colbert:

Right? We can even point to Georgia Tech, Miami, and to a lesser extent UF as our academic schools!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm on board but only if they call it the Dirty South conference.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
I saw a very cool realignment on some Wyoming Cowboys board a while back that had all the conferences geography based. I can't find it again but the gist was every Florida team was a conference, California west coast conference, Texas/Louisiana Conference, and merge Big10 with MAC.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Would Lil Jon and Ludacris be the Dirty South Conference's big boosters?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyst posted:

I'm on board but only if they call it the Dirty South conference.

The winning coach of the conference championship also has to wear an old NWA world title on the sidelines every conference game of the next year.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spintzel posted:

I saw a very cool realignment on some Wyoming Cowboys board a while back that had all the conferences geography based. I can't find it again but the gist was every Florida team was a conference, California west coast conference, Texas/Louisiana Conference, and merge Big10 with MAC.

An all-Florida conference would be very top heavy, I think.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
My semi-realistic fantasy in the event the ACC breaks apart is for GT, FSU, Clemson, and either VT or Miami to join the Big 12. (I'd prefer VT but they'd probably end up in the SEC)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pakled posted:

A lot of ACC schools seem like they'd "naturally"

My semi-realistic fantasy in the event the ACC breaks apart is for GT, FSU, Clemson, and either VT or Miami to join the Big 12. (I'd prefer VT but they'd probably end up in the SEC)

Yeah, if it broke up, that's most likely, since all of those teams already are in SEC states, so they wouldn't be interested.

Unless they didn't want to compete even more with Big 12 recruiting, but that's unlikely.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Right now the Big 12 feels like it's a really, really odd spot. Yeah they added TCU and WVU, but Houston didn't join which either means Houston feels it isn't ready (which I doubt), or they feel the Big 12 isn't worth it, given that Texas and Oklahoma dominate control of it (or it could be option three: they want another full time school so they have 12 teams again).

They're also the only major conference without a network (way to go, Texas).

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

Right now the Big 12 feels like it's a really, really odd spot. Yeah they added TCU and WVU, but Houston didn't join which either means Houston feels it isn't ready (which I doubt), or they feel the Big 12 isn't worth it, given that Texas and Oklahoma dominate control of it (or it could be option three: they want another full time school so they have 12 teams again).

Houston wasn't invited, were there? I doubt they would turn that down.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Point. I remember seeing a poll of Texas last year saying they should invite Houston though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

whiteyfats posted:

Houston wasn't invited, were there? I doubt they would turn that down.

Yeah as I understand it Houston basically got played by Texas going "we'll totally support you joining" if you don't oppose something Texas was trying to do when they knew the league wasn't going to expand.

kayakyakr or someone remembers the details on that I'm sure?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

iospace posted:

LOL. Houston wasn't invited. The Big 12 did the song and dance last offseason that they were expanding, when in reality it didn't appear that was ever an option. Houston was played by UT so UT could open a campus in Houston.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The true existential threat to the Big 12 is whether Texas and Oklahoma can continue to get along. The conference is stable as long as those those two are committed to making it work, and both are going to have a clear path to the playoff and get paid plenty as long as they stick around. The question is whether ego is going to drive one of them (Oklahoma) to go somewhere else.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'd be winning to offer Oklahoma and WVU a good home.

Although I support any scenario that gets VT into the SEC. Make them play UT in the Hoke-Smokie Classic and TAMU for a giant Medal of Honor every year. These are too obvious to not have happen.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Neil Armbong posted:

LOL. Houston wasn't invited. The Big 12 did the song and dance last offseason that they were expanding, when in reality it didn't appear that was ever an option. Houston was played by UT so UT could open a campus in Houston.

It was never an option. It was a UT land scam and the other nine schools played along because it cost nothing to do so. It worked perfectly and UH made a very, very bad deal. UH is super lucky their lobby in Austin managed to get the UT board to kill their end of the bargain.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Texas isn't leaving the Big 12 any time soon. There's no way any of the other Power conferences allow them to have the Longhorn Network, and Texas isn't about to give up on LHN.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Sash! posted:

Although I support any scenario that gets VT into the SEC. Make them play UT in the Hoke-Smokie Classic and TAMU for a giant Medal of Honor every year. These are too obvious to not have happen.

This. Tech would fit in perfectly with the SEC, and that TAMU matchup would be so much fun. Unfortunately, it would be too good to be true. I don't think those possibilities are enough to entice them away from the top of the pack in the ACC.

Korranus posted:

It was never an option. It was a UT land scam and the other nine schools played along because it cost nothing to do so. It worked perfectly and UH made a very, very bad deal. UH is super lucky their lobby in Austin managed to get the UT board to kill their end of the bargain.
Everything about this is so scummy, but it doesn't surprise me in the least. I'm usually not particularly sympathetic to Houston, but boy y'all got hosed by Texas. First they do that and then your coach ditches for Austin.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Texas isn't leaving the Big 12 any time soon. There's no way any of the other Power conferences allow them to have the Longhorn Network, and Texas isn't about to give up on LHN.

I don't think Texas leaves without some other dominoes falling first, but how much is left on their LHN contract when the Big 12 GOR expires in 2024? I want to say it's around 5 years. From everything I've heard LHN has been a bad deal for ESPN. All that is to say, by the time Texas could possibly be making a move, they may have milked about all the money they're going to get out of LHN anyway.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Cnidario posted:

Everything about this is so scummy, but it doesn't surprise me in the least. I'm usually not particularly sympathetic to Houston, but boy y'all got hosed by Texas. First they do that and then your coach ditches for Austin.

When you can lock down a 6th place AAC coach, you gotta act immediately.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Send Oklahoma to big 10. Send WVU to SEC. Send UT into the loving sun

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

OU in the Big Ten makes a lot of sense, but if I'm OU I might be worried the move might go a bit like it did for Nebraska. Obviously they won't be completely cut off from recruiting in Texas like Nebraska was, but their exposure would still suffer to some extent.

Also I'm not sure if the Big Ten has moved on from its "market size isn't everything, it's the only thing" phase

WVU belongs in the ACC

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

General Dog posted:

Also I'm not sure if the Big Ten has moved on from its "market size isn't everything, it's the only thing" phase

The Big Ten already has a quarter of the top 50 media markets:

#3 Chicago, IL
#4 Philadelphia, PA
#8 Washington, DC
#15 Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
#18 Cleveland Akron Canton, OH
#23 Pittsburgh, PA
#26 Indianapolis, IN
#27 Baltimore, MD
#32 Columbus, OH
#34 Milwaukee, WI
#35 Cincinnati, OH
#39 Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek, MI
#43 Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York, PA

And the states of Iowa, Nebraska, and New Jersey.

Where the hell do you pick next? The Big Ten would have to go beyond media market because they already won that race, unless they inexplicably get a Florida or Texas school and run up the score. Or go for Syracuse to actually get NYC, but....eh?

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

#3 Chicago, IL
#4 Philadelphia, PA
#8 Washington, DC
#23 Pittsburgh, PA
#26 Indianapolis, IN
#27 Baltimore, MD
#32 Columbus, OH
#34 Milwaukee, WI
#35 Cincinnati, OH

Where the hell do you pick next? The Big Ten would have to go beyond media market because they already won that race, unless they inexplicably get a Florida or Texas school and run up the score. Or go for Syracuse to actually get NYC, but....eh?

Welcome, UM-Amherst.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Sash! posted:

#3 Chicago, IL
#4 Philadelphia, PA
#8 Washington, DC
#23 Pittsburgh, PA
#26 Indianapolis, IN
#27 Baltimore, MD
#32 Columbus, OH
#34 Milwaukee, WI
#35 Cincinnati, OH

You forgot Detroit.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I thought Rutgers was the NY mark... lol

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Sash! posted:

#3 Chicago, IL
#4 Philadelphia, PA
#8 Washington, DC
#23 Pittsburgh, PA
#26 Indianapolis, IN
#27 Baltimore, MD
#32 Columbus, OH
#34 Milwaukee, WI
#35 Cincinnati, OH

Detroit is at #13...

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC or gtfo. :colbert:

Interestingly, the Dude has been making a ruckus on Twitter lately about WVU going to the ACC. Interesting because he was scoffing at that idea not two years ago.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why would WVU move so soon after joining the Big XII?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

whiteyfats posted:

Why would WVU move so soon after joining the Big XII?

It seems like a better geographical fit, but the real answer if this were anything other than some guy spitballing would be to get out of the Big 12.

I'd imagine nothing major with conference moves/additions is going to happen in the next few years.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
The next major news will probably be ND joining the ACC as a full-time member. If that's the case then the ACC would likely take second school to make an even 16 overall. WVU might make noise but at this point UConn is probably the most likely.

Geographically WVU belongs best in the Big 10 but with their academic resume I doubt you'd ever see it. Coincidentally, that's exactly where UVA will go if the ACC were to explode for some reason.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 27, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
UConn would be pretty disappointing. I'd prefer WVU and probably Memphis or Cincinnati but then again I don't care about basketball so I'm definitely in the minority among ACC fans.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

AsInHowe posted:

You forgot Detroit.

Accidentally deleted Detroit. I was a bit surprised it was as high as it was and that Buffalo is smaller than some of those.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Sash! posted:

Why do you think Syracuse adds NYC in any capacity? That's like saying the Buffalo Bills add the NYC market to the NFL. Rutgers indeed has the largest plurality in the very fractured NYC market. Syracuse gets you Buffalo and that's it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pakled posted:

UConn would be pretty disappointing. I'd prefer WVU and probably Memphis or Cincinnati but then again I don't care about basketball so I'm definitely in the minority among ACC fans.

Those are some pretty ok basketball programs other than Memphis right now (Jesus what is Tubby Smith doing?) so maybe the fans would be ok with it? Not UConn level, but solid enough to belong in the conference.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Take UCF, ACC

Eat poo poo Tobacco Road

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crotch Bat posted:

The next major news will probably be ND joining the ACC as a full-time member. If that's the case then the ACC would likely take second school to make an even 16 overall. WVU might make noise but at this point UConn is probably the most likely.

Geographically WVU belongs best in the Big 10 but with their academic resume I doubt you'd ever see it. Coincidentally, that's exactly where UVA will go if the ACC were to explode for some reason.

Notre Dame football joining a conference is as likely as the Big Ten booting out the non-original members. They have the ability to set their own schedule, have their own TV deal, and can get special treatment from the Playoff Committee because, no matter how strong or weak their schedule is, someone is going to be pushing them to be in if they do well enough.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Why do you think Syracuse adds NYC in any capacity? That's like saying the Buffalo Bills add the NYC market to the NFL. Rutgers indeed has the largest plurality in the very fractured NYC market. Syracuse gets you Buffalo and that's it.

Shame that Rutgers blows chunks.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kim Jong Il posted:

Because, unless they changed the carriage agreements, the state is what matters, not the city.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

iospace posted:

Notre Dame football joining a conference is as likely as the Big Ten booting out the non-original members. They have the ability to set their own schedule, have their own TV deal, and can get special treatment from the Playoff Committee because, no matter how strong or weak their schedule is, someone is going to be pushing them to be in if they do well enough.

Shame that Rutgers blows chunks.

ND's already in the ACC in every sport but football and is currently integrating multiple ACC teams in football each year. They're being groomed for the move, it'll happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Crotch Bat posted:

Lol UConn is hot garbage (college football will always mean more than college basketball), they lost to a 4-8 Tulane team. If the ACC is going to poach an American team they have much better options.

• Locked thread