Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

NikkolasKing posted:

I have more sympathy for the CSA than many here I expect but the Lost Cause is a lot cause now.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

axeil posted:

If cities can't then how about a bunch of "concerned citizens" "misplace" the monuments.

To be the nerd that I am: "Menace 1-5, you're nearing the target. Place the X4 charges on the monument and get clear."

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Sloober posted:

gently caress yeah! You ride that rocketship to state fiscal crisis wisconsin!

https://twitter.com/ScottWalker/status/868158321542533120

Didn't Brownback try this too and now the state is basically bankrupt?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

axeil posted:

If cities can't then how about a bunch of "concerned citizens" "misplace" the monuments.

Time for some good ol' fashioned damnatio memoriae.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I have more sympathy for the CSA than many here I expect but the Lost Cause is a lot cause now. I remember back when the Confederate Flag was taken down in South Carolina a couple years ago...and nobody cared. I mean, relatively nobody. I love the South, warts and all, and the idea they are all a bunch of Confederate apologists is just not true. Undoubtedly a small minority are but the olden days are quickly slipping away. The old guard and die-hards are still in positions of power so poo poo like this happens but the average Southerner growing up? I don't think they much care. The Confederacy was for their grandfathers and now even their great grandfathers.

Maybe I'm too optimistic but I would forecast that in 20 or so years when we have new generation of politicians in charge, the last remnant of this stuff will dry up.

Otoh, 38% of Trump voters in SC wish the CSA had won the war http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/269510-poll-38-percent-of-sc-trump-supporters-wish-south-had-won-the-civil-war

And this ad is from this year https://youtube.com/watch?v=lIUX97O11Vk

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Violator posted:

Can you post the URL to this article?

Edit: Can we start posting the URLs to articles in addition to a text snippet? I'd like to read more, know where it's coming from, and be able to save it into my read later app.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.dab3396b9b77

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/22/republicans-rewrite-congress-rules-agenda-238336

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hey Leon Trotsky 2012, after reviewing Mulvaney's budget proposal and if it was ever to pass, what does that mean for corporations like Walmart who are a burden on taxpayers that provide welfare programs for underpaid workers? Does that mean in theory there could be more pressure on Walmart to increase wages with such severe cuts to those programs?

I'm not an accelerationist, but I would think some of these large multinational corporations that have grossly profited from such cheap labor is going to face tremendous heat on paying better wages and benefits. Maybe I'm too optimistic in this leading to violent protests.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It was a tragedy that killed tons of people. And not the plantation owners but the poor whites who the plantation owners sent off to fight and die for them.

The South needed to reform and there was probably no other way to do it than some kind of war but that doesn't mean I can't feel sory for the poor people on both sides who died.

Well...gently caress. She even invoked the "do what you think is right, not what is politically correct" as if all the people who hate the flag are just being PC and actually love the Confederacy.

I guess my hopes are dashed, again.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 26, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

tetrapyloctomy posted:

So if I were hypothetically to erect a monument of Confederate soldiers being hanged for treason, no one could take it down?

A Confederate monument directly in front of this guy's house's front door, in his parking spot, etc.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Thank you sir, really appreciate it.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Confounding Factor posted:

Hey Leon Trotsky 2012, after reviewing Mulvaney's budget proposal and if it was ever to pass, what does that mean for corporations like Walmart who are a burden on taxpayers that provide welfare programs for underpaid workers? Does that mean in theory there could be more pressure on Walmart to increase wages with such severe cuts to those programs?

I'm not an accelerationist, but I would think some of these large multinational corporations that have grossly profited from such cheap labor is going to face tremendous heat on paying better wages and benefits. Maybe I'm too optimistic in this leading to violent protests.

America is built on slavery and some people just want to return to it. If the budget passes no one on the ground level is going to care because a majority of Americans don't pay attention to the budget

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You just roll through employees now. It's why places are happy with their 70+% turnover rate.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Spun Dog posted:

That was the state corporate tax, income tax, and business "passthrough" rules.

They didn't do anything to the property tax at the state level. Most property tax is assessed at the county level.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Spun Dog posted:

Yes (more or less)

What's most frustrating is GOP is just as into the snowflake ideology as they say they're against it. It didn't work for other states but THIS STATE is special.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Lmao, gently caress no, and if there are protests the riot police will be sent in. The Republican end goal is to serve power and money while eliminating any rungs on the ladder; near permanent state of crisis for the nonrich is thus an explicit step in this process.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I have more sympathy for the CSA than many here I expect but the Lost Cause is a lot cause now. I remember back when the Confederate Flag was taken down in South Carolina a couple years ago...and nobody cared. I mean, relatively nobody. I love the South, warts and all, and the idea they are all a bunch of Confederate apologists is just not true. Undoubtedly a small minority are but the olden days are quickly slipping away. The old guard and die-hards are still in positions of power so poo poo like this happens but the average Southerner growing up? I don't think they much care. The Confederacy was for their grandfathers and now even their great grandfathers.

Maybe I'm too optimistic but I would forecast that in 20 or so years when we have new generation of politicians in charge, the last remnant of this stuff will dry up.

I still see a lot of Confederate sympathy, but that's purely anecdotal. The fact that monuments and flags are being removed at all is a sign of real change.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

If his budget were to be implemented as-is with no changes (not happening) it would probably result in fewer total jobs at places like Wal-Mart and more full-time positions, rather than a raise in actual wages.

Or the company probably wouldn't change anything and just let their employees suffer unless they were going to die or something. It really depends.

There might be pressure from society, but economically there would be no reason to raise wages if your employees lose benefits unless it was directly impacting your ability to hire/keep employees or run your business.

Wal-Mart is actually a huge fan of food stamps because it makes it easier to work at Wal-Mart and a significant portion of those people spend the stamps at Wal-Mart. They probably don't care about any changes to Medicaid eligibility outside of prescription sales (grocery and pharmacy are the fastest growing profit sources for physical Wal-Mart locations)

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 26, 2017

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Spun Dog posted:

making states bankrupt is the GOP's goal

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I'm sure Scott Walker will pair the end of the sales tax with a robust property tax increase!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Fansy posted:

I can't wait for wisconsin avenue to be a gravel road because they cant afford to maintain it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fansy posted:

Nah, transferring wealth to established businesses and high-income individuals is the GOP's goal.

They've proven that they are willing to fund the government or raise taxes as long as the tax is regressive and used to subsidize established business interests.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Nah, transferring wealth to established businesses and high-income individuals is the GOP's goal.

They've proven that they are willing to fund the government or raise taxes as long as the tax is regressive and used to subsidize established business interests.

It just happens to work handily with the wealth transfer

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Just quit maintaining and cleaning them.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fansy posted:

States can't go bankrupt.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jesus III posted:

Just quit maintaining and cleaning them.

It seems someone has spilled yellow paint all over General Lee. Shame we can't do anything about it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
:lol:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

"Bankrupt" in this sense means "insolvent" not bankrupt as in the legal concept.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Just start leaving tons of bread crumbs around the statues

Nobody likes a bird poopy statue

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Sounds like Scott Walker wants to test that theory.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It seems someone has spilled yellow paint all over General Lee. Shame we can't do anything about it.
Also a shame Molotov cocktails are illegal, an unremovable melted metal statue would be an interesting artistic statement.

kzin602 posted:

I know this was a a million pages ago in this fast moving thread; it really seems like these things can build on eachother.

Heathcare for all should be the core of the democratic platform. It should be the democrat's version of lower taxes. Having healthcare to fall back on, eases a lot of pressure on people. If people have less economic pressure they have more job mobility; this puts the thumb on the scale of the labor/capital balance. Reproductive rights seem like they would really start to fall into place at that point. If the poor/working class have access to regular checkups and decent reproductive care, they will end up making better informed decisions and getting educated on issues of birth control/plan-b/abortion.
I was reading about the history of socialized medicine a while back and apparently TR was the first president to consider it seriously, but it was over a hundred years till Obama and the Democrats both had enough support and were willing/able to spend the political capital to do it. Now that it's here people are going to fight to keep it. It's incredibly valuable politically.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I like the 40 year stipulation in the Alabama law. It's pretty much acknowledgement that a multitude of Confederate monuments went up right before that, and gee I wonder why that was???

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Sloober posted:

I can't wait for wisconsin avenue to be a gravel road because they cant afford to maintain it.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

trickybiscuits posted:

Also a shame Molotov cocktails are illegal, an unremovable melted metal statue would be an interesting artistic statement.

Rust and aluminum cans are perfectly legal.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Sloober posted:

I don't see why this would be a problem. Just take your helicopter.

Unless you are some sort of *poor.*

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The thing I never understand about Confederate symbols are when they're seen in places that were still territories when the Civil War broke out or were states that were created after the Missouri Compromise. Obviously it's just a symbol of racism no matter what, where, and when, but it's just weird to me when I see a Confederate battle flag underneath a Wyoming state flag on a flagstaff while I'm commuting to work.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

BarbarianElephant posted:

I don't see why this would be a problem. Just take your helicopter.

Unless you are some sort of *poor.*

I have conducted an extensive survey of southeast WI and they notably lack decent helicopter landing facilities, i cannot take my heli everywhere

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Hold my beer

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

How about....we get rid of welfare programs AND get rid of workers protections like minimum wage?

That way, everybody wins! :newt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Grover Norquist used to be so reasonable.

• Locked thread