Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You can go to the arboretum's greenhouse and scan the typhon there, and then the three puppet humans, and get just enough research for mindjack. All from the safety of a window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
If I'm going on a no-typhon run, then the entire research scanning mechanic is useless to me, right? Unlike SS2 and Bioshock I don't think you get damage buffs to enemy types that you research.

Also, my dang computer gun glitched out.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Copper Vein posted:

It would be hilarious if that were an intentional feature after taking Electric damage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Copper Vein posted:

Ayup, I see what'cha done there. What you need to do is pull the clip out, wait twenty seconds, then put it back in. Should fix your firearm right up. :pseudo:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ayup, I see what'cha done there. What you need to do is pull the clip out, wait twenty seconds, then put it back in. Should fix your firearm right up. :pseudo:

Just as a quick aside, I like how the shotgun is looks like some old world technology with what looks like an aftermarket ammo counter slapped on because "FUTURE"

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Wamdoodle posted:

Just as a quick aside, I like how the shotgun is looks like some old world technology with what looks like an aftermarket ammo counter slapped on because "FUTURE"

It might literally be this because if you get exposed to EMP it temporarily shorts out the ammo counter on the shotgun, but the gun itself still works just fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mzbundifund posted:

It might literally be this because if you get exposed to EMP it temporarily shorts out the ammo counter on the shotgun, but the gun itself still works just fine.

The Pistol works fine as well. That said, I really don't get why the GLOO Gun of all things shits the bed when it cops an electrical blast. It's pretty much a pneumatic caulk gun with a digital readout.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Pistol works fine as well. That said, I really don't get why the GLOO Gun of all things shits the bed when it cops an electrical blast. It's pretty much a pneumatic caulk gun with a digital readout.
The firing mechanism is probably electrical. In pistol and shotguns, the explosive force of the bullet also drives the chambering of the next round. Where does this energy come from in the GLOO gun? Certainly not the GLOO itself. It is perhaps an electrically driven pump.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In 6 months time the official wiki will have barely a paragraph on the nature of human existence but there will be pages of redacted arguments over the exact nature of the firing mechanism used by the goop gun.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DancingShade posted:

In 6 months time the official wiki will have barely a paragraph on the nature of human existence but there will be pages of redacted arguments over the exact nature of the firing mechanism used by the goop gun.

Look, we already know the nature of man. It's being a miserable pile of secrets. Done.

The Gloo Cannon, meanwhile, is an enigma. Much more room for discussion.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DancingShade posted:

Humans are boring. GLOO is interesting.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I want to dope my GLOO with exotic materials. Make it semi-sentient and capable to crawling around to maximally incapacitate foes.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I was hoping it'd become an elemental weapon so you can hose people with electro-jelly. I know Bioshock is taboo in Shock game discussions, but I did appreciate how weapon modifications had a major change in the looks and functionality of a gun.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think there was more potential in the mind/machine-control build. They should have let you summon 2-3 phantoms + take over 2-3 enemies and 2-3 operators that follow you around. There should also be simple commands you could give to your little army like 'wait here' and 'attack'. There are most likely technical reasons why this is all impossible anyway but hey I'm just an ideas guy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Mind Jack literally just renders mind controlled humans unconscious, the same exact result as stunning them or killing the Telepath. It's not a very useful skill but you can use it to make Phantoms friendly long enough for two good Shotgun blasts.

Mind Jack is one of the most useful and powerful skills in the game, what are you even talking about.

Bushiz posted:

If you want my insane theory there's a note somewhere that mentions typhon outbreaks happening on the station before, obviously not as bad but still happening, and after they get under control, staff starts getting mindwiped so they didn't see their friend get mummified and start having second thoughts, except for the upper echelons, so Dayo, Sarah, Danielle, and Mikhaila all started building operators with their personalities in secret. All hands were lost when Real Morgan blew up the station except Morgan, who survived by going mimic and floating through space before ending up on the Argus Installation that's mentioned several times as an ultra-blacksite also in orbit of the moon, and the crew-operators, who could just fly over easy enough.

Morgan takes over Argus in the chaos of whatever event causes the typhonization of Earth, and starts building typhon clones from their own genetic material and operator personality uploads to run the sims. Real Morgan figured (trial and error, maybe) that typhon-morgan waking up and seeing Real Morgan would gently caress up the tests so Real Morgan created a LG of Alex to serve as a liason with the experiments. Real Morgan is in the next room monitoring everything and preparing for the next step. Also it's been 100 years since the events on Talos.

Worth noting that it doesn't take many neuromods to increase your lifespan to hundreds of years!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Just finished the game. Ending question (some spoilers): What does it take for Sho to approve of you in the ending? Do you have to commit murder for her? I found her and KOed 37 but it seemed like her evaluation still dinged me for not killing him and because "a lot of humans were killed by the Typhon". I had 25+5 NPCs in the shuttle at the end, could I have saved more? Sarah did mention over at one point that she lost some people storming life support after I asphyxiated Dahl.

Good game, but the bugs - at least on PS4 - were a pain. Personnel location objectives always disappeared whenever I went into G.U.T.S. or Talos 1 Exterior, which made a few side quests almost impossible. I also had the ending glitch out on two out of three attempts? Possibly to do with activating the ending just as the timer runs out? After loading the "Hidden Location" it started the shuttle escape and credits movies a second time, then dumped me into the final scene without starting the cutscene so I still had control. Couldn't do anything but walk around the room and look at Alex and the operators, though - nothing was interactable and the transcribe button didn't work.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Going to word this in a way to avoid any spoilers, though I don't really consider this a spoiler.

To get into your office, you get a key code. I was playing as a male and when I got to the office, January just told me the code. In a video I saw someone go the the secretary's desk and use their computer to get the key code. The password to their computer had the password stickied on it and it read something like omghotboss, which made me wonder if that was for if you are playing as the female Morgan. Are there any other differences like that throughout the game that anyone has noticed?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it stays omghotboss regardless of gender

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Cowcaster posted:

it stays omghotboss regardless of gender

hmm, I wonder why January told me the code instead of just making me check the secretary's computer

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

He/she does so regardless of gender as well.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

January always tells you the code

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think it's just one of those single solution multiple approach things, just that january just straight up telling you the code was added later since it's plot important

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I think the only differences between genders are the family photo, January being male/female and all the dialogue swaps when they're needed.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

I think the only differences between genders are the family photo, January being male/female and all the dialogue swaps when they're needed.

And the toilet seat

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Does anyone get slightly disappointed when you access an area with your neuromod abilities only to learn you can access the same area with other neuromod abilities? I kinda feel it's going for Deus Ex but doesn't get the balance right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

snoremac posted:

Does anyone get slightly disappointed when you access an area with your neuromod abilities only to learn you can access the same area with other neuromod abilities? I kinda feel it's going for Deus Ex but doesn't get the balance right.

This is my way in. There are many like it, but this one is mine :colbert:.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
It's actually pretty clever how they handled gender with minimal work and some very clever tricks. I went with femorgan, completely forgetting I even had a choice at the start, and i thought it felt very natural and great with brother-sister dynamic and being headhoncho and stuff, then I see people talking about himorgan and I'm like oh, oh yeah I guess you could play either way.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

snoremac posted:

I don't, but that's because there is no experience linked to doing things a different way so I don't feel compelled or like I'm missing out on anything. I find it fun to explore those options anyways though.

I think a good example if the fabrication office. You can get a keycard off a body, can hop onto a ledge outside the window, break it and hit the manual unlock with either a nerf dart or a power. Or you can go the hidden route where you jump onto a air duct and monkey your way to on top the office where there is a slot whee you can either mimic, remote press, or shoot the button. I think that is great design and since it is consistent throughout the game it makes me super happy to play around with them.

You could say that Prey... is good.

Broose fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 26, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

snoremac posted:

Turning into a coffee cup and rolling through the slot in a security booth will never disappoint me. Even if the door was already open.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

HenryEx posted:

And the toilet seat

You've got to be kidding, there's no way anyone was this brilliantly subtle.

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
Gave in and starting another play through. Promised myself I'd wait until the deepest drought of summer too.
The reaction to you hiding behind the chair will never get old.

Nice slip by the 'pilot' in the helicopter- "mind the glass on the way out." - I guess I thought they were telling me to watch the glass on the helicopter's windows and thought it was a dumb line. Obviously he means the glass of the big square room you're in. (I can't remember the name of the stuff Lg glass? Everytime I go to post I lose all the vocabulary words.)

I got out my tinfoil hat and wondered why this line would be allowed into the Simulation. Then my brain imploded and I decided to just post.

I'm also curious about the Mind controlled guy in Trauma I kept him safe and alone in his nice cell the entire play through and I never found out what the code Inside the room he's in is for - is it something obvious? and I never found out who was Controlling him, I thought everyone was tied to a specific Telepath? Did I forget to go back and check on him once I'd killed 'his' Telepath somewhere?

I figure I should still be as thorough with the spoilers because there's probably people jumping into the thread all the time?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ravinghobo posted:

I'm also curious about the Mind controlled guy in Trauma I kept him safe and alone in his nice cell the entire play through and I never found out what the code Inside the room he's in is for -

I'm curious about this too. I accidentally killed him early on since he just started whacking me and I figured that mind controlled meant his brain was toast anyways (wasn't until I got to Arboretum that I learned otherwise). is there any dialogue or anything saving him or does he just go unconscious?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Xaris posted:

I'm curious about this too. I accidentally killed him early on since he just started whacking me and I figured that mind controlled meant his brain was toast anyways (wasn't until I got to Arboretum that I learned otherwise). is there any dialogue or anything saving him or does he just go unconscious?

There's no way to release a mind controlled human without them going unconscious. He just disappears once you leave the area, I don't think you ever see him again. The code is for the safe inside DeVries' office next door.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
So Nightmares spawning can happen just from plain neuromods right? Because I ended up having to gently caress one up in the place with the cafeteria right away and a buncha folks said that only happens if you use typhon powers but I had zero of those. (As I assumed the ending would change if I didn't but also because it seemed like a neat gimmick)

Gadzuko posted:

There's no way to release a mind controlled human without them going unconscious. He just disappears once you leave the area, I don't think you ever see him again. The code is for the safe inside DeVries' office next door.
What about the lady in the greenhouse? She stays conscious if you manage to kill the controller fast enough

Also goddamn, I am so pissed the unique weapons are better: time to find a shitload more mods again I guess

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Deceitful Penguin posted:

So Nightmares spawning can happen just from plain neuromods right? Because I ended up having to gently caress one up in the place with the cafeteria right away and a buncha folks said that only happens if you use typhon powers but I had zero of those. (As I assumed the ending would change if I didn't but also because it seemed like a neat gimmick)
What about the lady in the greenhouse? She stays conscious if you manage to kill the controller fast enough

I also had one spawn in the exact same place (opening hall to crew quarters) the first time I stepped in there on a no typhon-mod run. I was in absolutely no position to fight it, so I just immediately left and waited out the clock which was sorta dumb :/

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Ok, amend that to "There is no way to release that specific guy without him becoming unconscious".

The whole "Nightmare is tied to neuromods/Typhon powers" thing is total BS. Supposedly the devs said you could spawn it just by using a whole bunch of Neuromods at once and it would hunt you down but I've used over 50 at one time and nothing happened. It just randomly spawns in a few set locations throughout the game based on your progression, no matter what you do.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

My first nightmare was when I took a sidetrip back to Neuromod Division. I zoned into the lobby where you get your first neuromod and it was just standing in front of me.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Mind Jack literally just renders mind controlled humans unconscious, the same exact result as stunning them or killing the Telepath. It's not a very useful skill but you can use it to make Phantoms friendly long enough for two good Shotgun blasts.

Mind Jack isn't quite as useful as Psychoshock in terms of direct offense, but it is an extremely good power. Immediately breaks up alien packs through in-fighting, works on everything but Telepaths and robots, and a short cooldown. It really shines whenever you are backtracking or in the late game, because you can just Mind Jack anything you are running past and ignore it.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Nightmare definitely has a good chance to spawn wherever you buy Typhon powers. During my first playthrough it frequently spawned when I would spend 6-8 neuromods on upgrading a single power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Gadzuko posted:

The whole "Nightmare is tied to neuromods/Typhon powers" thing is total BS. Supposedly the devs said you could spawn it just by using a whole bunch of Neuromods at once and it would hunt you down but I've used over 50 at one time and nothing happened. It just randomly spawns in a few set locations throughout the game based on your progression, no matter what you do.

There's some sort of interaction but I'm still not sure exactly what it is despite beating the game twice now. There have been several times where I've crafted a bunch of neuromods at once and used them, and as soon as I got out of the menu screen a nightmare started hunting me. Maybe each neuromod you use has a low chance to spawn the nightmare or something like that, where it's a gamble each time but never guaranteed to actually happen if you're lucky.