Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Skippy Granola posted:

The Age of Aquarius is an astrological concept beloved by the Haight-Ashbury crowd. It describes a utopian age of heightened consciousness and unity for all humans, where war and greed lose all meaning and everyone coexists in a totally groovy way, man.

Anyway if the old hippies ran the world it's be pretty far out.

This is neat and I wish it were real.

Is the dog thing still a thing? Here's a picture of my dog:

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i think the consensus when this got brought up before was something like this is about the same level of connection as most of the republican party, i.e. with plenty of plausible deniability

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe I'm too optimistic but I would forecast that in 20 or so years when we have new generation of politicians in charge, the last remnant of this stuff will dry up.

This is the part I thought was funniest.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Spun Dog posted:

Didn't Brownback try this too and now the state is basically bankrupt?

No, property tax is still there, but all business owners that run LLCs don't pay income tax, which I don't think translates to the workers. Supposedly a bunch of businesses switched over to LLCs from other types of businesses, which doubled the amount of businesses getting a tax break. Brownback and the Repub senators of the state have refused to change the law for fear of "raising taxes." Then like two years ago they passed a tax hike on other stuff that was the largest in the state's history, but on stuff like cigarettes and alcohol.

Kansas' Government is such poo poo, like Kris Kobach pushed for a special investigation team to research voter fraud. Got it, then found like 8 cases. And all of them were like someone moved, got set an earlier voter card, and didn't know it was illegal to fill it out while in a new state. You could tell that they wanted to catch illegal aliens voting so bad, but found nothing.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

AriadneThread posted:

i think the consensus when this got brought up before was something like this is about the same level of connection as most of the republican party, i.e. with plenty of plausible deniability

A couple of percent of his wealth is in a Russian Stock Index fund that has a couple percent holding in some sanctioned companies.

It is nothing and harping about it is dumb.

Xae fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 26, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

This is neat and I wish it were real.

It can be, comrade.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Jesus III posted:

Just quit maintaining and cleaning them.

This isn't intended as advice or a suggestion or anything, just a statement of fact, but

thermite is super easy to make.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I was just informed the source of that Report to the FBI tweet is some kind of Louise Mensch type figure.

I really hate how the crazies are poisoning the well

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Nonsense posted:

I was just informed the source of that Report to the FBI tweet is some kind of Louise Mensch type figure.

I really hate how the crazies are poisoning the well

Liberals/the left fall for Fake News about as much as the right, but the difference is when we find out it isn't true, we adjust our worldviews accordingly, rather than doubling down on the false belief.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Reported by who, and for what exactly

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nonsense posted:

Yeah makes sense.

Caros
May 14, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

It was a tragedy that killed tons of people. And not the plantation owners but the poor whites who the plantation owners sent off to fight and die for them.

The South needed to reform and there was probably no other way to do it than some kind of war but that doesn't mean I can't feel sory for the poor people on both sides who died.

Well...gently caress. She even invoked the "do what you think is right, not what is politically correct" as if all the people who hate the flag are just being PC and actually love the Confederacy.

I guess my hopes are dashed, again.

Please don't being confederate revisionism into this thread.

Confederate states left by a convention, legislature or in some cases flat out referendum. While there were absolutely those who voted against the war, the 'cause' was absolutely seen as something for the common man.

On average, 31% of all southern families owned slaves, and for a majority of those who didn't the reason wasn't moral, it was economic.

The civil war wasn't a bunch of dupes being sent off to fight rich people's war, it was a culture of racism and chattel slavery trying to defend itself, and that extended down to the common voter. Excusing it or trying to pretend that slavery was somehow wasn't buried in the very concept of the south does those who died a disservice.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Anyone can report anything to the FBI.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

People's perception of the 60s is seriously clouded by the usual highlights. For example the Vietnam War was ridiculously popular for basically the entire decade, despite the high profile student protests.

I think people also treat "left" and "right" as static. A lot of people on the left in the 60s got all they wanted and more and are now boring centrists nervously eyeing far far more progressive teen "swjs" and getting a little sweaty about new ideas and wishing they could stick to their own new ideas that are now 50 years accepted.

Some people probably actually change opinion and get more conservative as they age. But you also can get more conservative just thinking the same thing forever till your youthful ideas are regressive attitudes from a generation ago.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

guys i just reported the prez to the fbi, should be taken down any minute now :smug:

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

Reported by who, and for what exactly

Apparently by a fringe loon. I was really hoping that God was intervening against Gianforte's affront to all things decent and good just by existing.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

People's perception of the 60s is seriously clouded by the usual highlights. For example the Vietnam War was ridiculously popular for basically the entire decade, despite the high profile student protests.

Boxing matches were poltical, disagreeing with certain people was communism, cops were going around killing people and getting away with it. Not much of a difference except technology these days - well that and the toxic effects of social media.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Caros posted:

Confederate states left by a convention, legislature or in some cases flat out referendum. While there were absolutely those who voted against the war, the 'cause' was absolutely seen as something for the common man.

On average, 31% of all southern families owned slaves, and for a majority of those who didn't the reason wasn't moral, it was economic.

The civil war wasn't a bunch of dupes being sent off to fight rich people's war, it was a culture of racism and chattel slavery trying to defend itself, and that extended down to the common voter. Excusing it or trying to pretend that slavery was somehow wasn't buried in the very concept of the south does those who died a disservice.

A South politician preaches to the poor white man
"You got more than the blacks, don't complain
You're better than them, you been born with white skin, " they explain
And the Negro's name
Is used, it is plain
For the politician's gain
As he rises to fame
And the poor white remains
On the caboose of the train
But it ain't him to blame
He's only a pawn in their game

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Skippy Granola posted:

The Age of Aquarius is an astrological concept beloved by the Haight-Ashbury crowd. It describes a utopian age of heightened consciousness and unity for all humans, where war and greed lose all meaning and everyone coexists in a totally groovy way, man.

Anyway if the old hippies ran the world it's be pretty far out.

That was also based on an astronomical miscalculation. We were entering the Age of Ares, not the age of Aquarius.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Caros posted:

Agreed. Herrenvolk democracy was popular across all income levels and demographics.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/tomlobianco/status/868144971236421633

Recusal is a funny word :thunk:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Crabtree posted:

Boxing matches were poltical, disagreeing with certain people was communism, cops were going around killing people and getting away with it. Not much of a difference except technology these days - well that and the toxic effects of social media.

In the 60's people thought that political discussion was ruined forever because of the toxic impact of too many radio stations and people could just tune in to their favorite one and have them describe the news to them.

Then they said that TV made people too superficial and was a toxic impact on discourse which should be about the content of the speech and not the person delivering it.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

But you also can get more conservative just thinking the same thing forever till your youthful ideas are regressive attitudes from a generation ago.

It'll happen to us.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

TheBalor posted:

That was also based on an astronomical miscalculation. We were entering the Age of Ares, not the age of Aquarius.

That explains why I'm not currently wearing gossamer robes and sharing my free love on a bed of wildflowers right now.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Huh, being that the Age of Aquarius comment came on the heels of someone asking about the voting patterns of white people 18-35, I thought the movie in question was Wild in the Streets, seemed apropos.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BarbarianElephant posted:

It'll happen to us.

I hope so.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I don't think he ever "recused" himself, he weasel-worded "stepped aside" didn't he?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

TheBalor posted:

:black101:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In the 60's people thought that political discussion was ruined forever because of the toxic impact of too many radio stations and people could just tune in to their favorite one and have them describe the news to them.

Then they said that TV made people too superficial and was a toxic impact on discourse which should be about the content of the speech and not the person delivering it.

turned out they were right

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Sloober posted:

gently caress yeah! You ride that rocketship to state fiscal crisis wisconsin!

https://twitter.com/ScottWalker/status/868158321542533120

How are their schools currently funded?

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 26, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

evilweasel posted:

turned out they were right

But how can social media ruin discourse if radio and TV already did?!?

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Aeka 2.0 posted:

How are there schools currently funded?

gofundme

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Aeka 2.0 posted:

How are there schools currently funded?

County property taxes, a certain amount of money from the state, and federal grants.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Hellblazer187 posted:

Is the dog thing still a thing? Here's a picture of my dog:

No. Please stop. People have been posting dogs longer than the dog thing was a thing.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

But how can social media ruin discourse if radio and TV already did?!?

scientists have had to invent entirely new kinds of math in order to describe how hosed we are

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
never stop doggin

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

"People were wrong in the past and so will always be wrong." I say as I stare at the barely sentient orange pile of feces that social media helped put in office.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

never stop doggin

ABC

Always
Be
Canine

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

beejay posted:

No. Please stop. People have been posting dogs longer than the dog thing was a thing.

otoh that's a good lookin pupper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Pakled posted:

Well, anyone can report anyone to the FBI for anything. I'd wait to see if the FBI takes it seriously to get excited.

Yeah, and Dworkin is the one who reported him.

• Locked thread