Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Copper Vein posted:

Nightmare definitely has a good chance to spawn wherever you buy Typhon powers. During my first playthrough it frequently spawned when I would spend 6-8 neuromods on upgrading a single power.

It spawned right after I bought Combat Focus, and January gave me a stern talking to "I told you this would happen if you use Thyphon powers!!", which leads me to think that's possibly a bug counting CF as a Typhon power. Maybe it once was.
Although that could have been coincidental, even though I had 0 Typhon powers, I did craft a bunch of Neuromods (up until the license limit kicked in), so I went to Neuromod division to unlock the license and thats when a Nightmare spawned (and ate December right away which sucked but welp).

I kind of regret getting CF since it totally breaks the game and probably should have been put under a late-game Typhon power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Miracle of Sound just put out a Prey song. It's pretty sweet.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm so used to playing video games in which for instance, 'bill smith' has a heavy not-english accent, and some dude with a german name has an american accent, and japanese people have british accents etc (sure it can happen IRL but really, not that common). So when in the crew living quarters area I encountered ukranian kitchen guy called 'will mitchell' with the extremely heavy Russian accent, I remarked to my wife 'lol they hosed it up again'. And then, when I went into the freezer, I said "I bet he'll lock me in". Uh, yeah lol.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Xaris posted:

<snip>
so I went to Neuromod division to unlock the license and thats when a Nightmare spawned (and ate December right away which sucked but welp).
<snip>

Sorry for the double post but what! December spawned dead in my game. Is that not what December is supposed to do??? Dead December in the lobby/entrance of the neuromod division, next to the fountain. Am I missing a quest or two, or something?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

redreader posted:

Sorry for the double post but what! December spawned dead in my game. Is that not what December is supposed to do??? Dead December in the lobby/entrance of the neuromod division, next to the fountain. Am I missing a quest or two, or something?

Yes, you should have got a Who Is December quest? you should have got a quest by December to go to Neuromod division to get codes for Alex's safe or something for the escape pod, this is very early on like right after you fix your LG server. January kills December pretty shortly after you finish her ques. apparently you could kill January first and have december alive through your game tho

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Gadzuko posted:

Ok, amend that to "There is no way to release that specific guy without him becoming unconscious".

The whole "Nightmare is tied to neuromods/Typhon powers" thing is total BS. Supposedly the devs said you could spawn it just by using a whole bunch of Neuromods at once and it would hunt you down but I've used over 50 at one time and nothing happened. It just randomly spawns in a few set locations throughout the game based on your progression, no matter what you do.

It's definitely tied together. Buying three typhon powers at a time always seemed to trigger a nightmare for me.

Its just a shame nightmares are complete pushovers if you have a couple typhon mods. It's like "oh great, a nightmare, I can make it kill all the actual scary enemies and then hit it with the qbeam and watch it blow up"

redreader posted:

He doesn't spawn dead. January kills him. Maybe you just got there too slow? I got to watch the murder happen, myself.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Another couple of questions. I've been getting qbeam cells/ammo for ages, and I'm in the bit now where all the rescued people end up, placing some turrets:
1: I have placed 3 turrets and have the turret blueprint, but the leader person tells me to gently caress off until I've placed some turrets (what?)
2: I have never seen a qbeam. Am I supposed to have one by now, or are they more common later, like if you go to the bridge or something? I've never been to the bridge or shuttle bay yet.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

redreader posted:

Another couple of questions. I've been getting qbeam cells/ammo for ages, and I'm in the bit now where all the rescued people end up, placing some turrets:
1: I have placed 3 turrets and have the turret blueprint, but the leader person tells me to gently caress off until I've placed some turrets (what?)
2: I have never seen a qbeam. Am I supposed to have one by now, or are they more common later, like if you go to the bridge or something? I've never been to the bridge or shuttle bay yet.

You have missed a lot of q-beams. There's one in space near a corpse not too far from the hardware airlock, there's another in the beams & waves lab in hardware, which you gain access to by sealing the breach by going to space, again, from hardware, and I believe there's a corpse floating in the GUTS that has one nearby too. There's possibly more.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

redreader posted:

She specifically stated where those turrets should be placed and if you go the mission menu it's written where they should be standing (within the blue loading area in front of the door). Don't worry, a lot of people miss that for some reason.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo that stab in the back when (end end-game) January leaves you to die on Talos by messaging Dahl waiting in the shuttle and telling him "Hi this is Morgan, i can't make it, fly without me" after you turn on the self-destruction. Top 10 anime betrayals

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Holy poo poo that stab in the back when (end end-game) January leaves you to die on Talos by messaging Dahl waiting in the shuttle and telling him "Hi this is Morgan, i can't make it, fly without me" after you turn on the self-destruction. Top 10 anime betrayals

It's what Y(o)u would have wanted.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

HenryEx posted:

I was like Well, that's a dick move. Guess I'll hop in the escape pod that's right here instead, that's fine..

I think that whole... scene bugged out for me. Alex was hostile and January was floating around perfectly silent and it was really really confusing.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

HenryEx posted:

Haha that's great, I haven't done that one yet. Can you just blast him and bail out in Alex's pod if you have the keycard?

e: never mind answered above

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I was sad that there wasn't an achievement for making it to Dahl's shuttle when January speeds up the countdown for you

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
First time i went through the game, that didn't happen (human-only) so i was quite surprised. Yeah you can alwys use the escape pod but i was going for the "Awkward Ride Home" achievement for only you and Dahl leaving on the shuttle as only survivors so that was kind of a dick move :v:

Yeah, you can just bust the op beforehand if you know about it, or you actually get a timer of about 150 seconds to get from the bridge to the shuttle before he actually leaves.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

HenryEx posted:

Huh, that didn't happen to me. I guess it happens when you use Typhon Neuromods.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Jack Trades posted:

It's what Y(o)u would have wanted.

Oh, what a bitch. I haven't seen that as I zapped her just because.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
So I'm guessing (I don't want any replies apart from spoiler replies, which I suppose I won't read yet) that what happens in the end is, because I have played bioshock and system shock 1+2, that the voice synthesization thing to get into deep storage, and also the manual in your own office in the crew habitation area, are foreshadowing that you are never actually hearing your own pre-recorded voice at all. I bet right at the end you get a real message from yourself saying that January is a bad guy (that part I've gleaned from non spoiler text in this thread already) and that Alex was actually on the right side all along. Also where the gently caress IS Alex? I bet you come across his corpse at some point?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
That's the beauty of the game, they're neither good nor bad, it's more a matter of who you agree with.

January ending chat: if your have few/no typhon mods she says something to the effect of, "since you don't have too many typhon mods I think it would be a low risk for you to get on the shuttle as well." I think she also starts saying something about disabling her so that she doesn't try to stop you based on her programming but I was already legging it so I didn't catch what she said.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I was sad that there wasn't an achievement for making it to Dahl's shuttle when January speeds up the countdown for you

Did this my first time and didn't even notice the countdown had been sped up. I though the designers wanted it to be a frantic sprint to the shuttle.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also, whoever said that you always get a choice in the end was wrong. I got to the evaluation at the end, Igwe is all like "the mirror neurons test didn't go very well", Mikhaila says "So, what now?" and Alex goes "We failed". Horror sting music, fade to black. No choice.

They didn't even discuss my choices at the end, which i found kinda sad. I wanted to hear what they had to say about the fact that i got Mikhaila her meds, made her listen to her father's last moments, then killed her after she said "Stay away from me, Morgan", and resurrected her as a Phantom. :unsmigghh:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
And i had this on loop in the background for the last stretch of my psychopathic romp-stomp aboard the Talos 1. Goes extremely well with the shotgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8mH-PQ54Bs

Worked well in DS3, worked surprisingly well here.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HenryEx posted:

i got Mikhaila her meds, made her listen to her father's last moments, then killed her after she said "Stay away from me, Morgan", and resurrected her as a Phantom. :unsmigghh:

Oh, nice. It would have been cool if named phantoms used some corrupted version of the characters lines.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I regards to endings, I didn't see any difference between the ending I got from blowing up the station along with myself versus blowing up the station and hopping on a shuttle home typhoned to the gills with the (only?) three characters who can survive.

The ending robots didn't acknowledge that having a super-human Morgan return to Earth negates some of what blowing up the station achieved.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

HenryEx posted:

That's funny. I figured January was going to double-cross me when she murked December and acted like that wasn't suspicious at all, but I guess I killed her before she could gently caress me over

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Deceitful Penguin posted:

So Nightmares spawning can happen just from plain neuromods right? Because I ended up having to gently caress one up in the place with the cafeteria right away and a buncha folks said that only happens if you use typhon powers but I had zero of those. (As I assumed the ending would change if I didn't but also because it seemed like a neat gimmick)

I just finished up my last 2 achievements (including the no neuromod run) and still ran into the nightmare 3-4 times although it was usually just chilling in an area until I got close enough for it to notice me and then it would trigger the quest.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Copper Vein posted:

I regards to endings, I didn't see any difference between the ending I got from blowing up the station along with myself versus blowing up the station and hopping on a shuttle home typhoned to the gills with the (only?) three characters who can survive.

I had five major characters in the shuttle cabin (and 25 minor ones in the cargo hold), so I'm not sure who your three were. Igwe, Mikhaila, Aaron, Sarah and Dahl can all be in the cabin at the end.
Unfortunately you can't drag unconscious bodies between areas so I wasn't able to get Alex in there too. :sigh:

Copper Vein posted:

The ending robots didn't acknowledge that having a super-human Morgan return to Earth negates some of what blowing up the station achieved.

They don't really care about the results; none of it was real anyway. Even the ending choice itself is just given a throwaway line. All they really cared about was whether Morgan's choices demonstrated an ability to feel empathy.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I keep on thinking "I've seen Q-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate"

(I'm going to get jumped on so I'll pre-emptively say "I know it's C-beams, shut up")

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

NRVNQSR posted:

I had five major characters in the shuttle cabin (and 25 minor ones in the cargo hold), so I'm not sure who your three were. Igwe, Mikhaila, Aaron, Sarah and Dahl can all be in the cabin at the end.

Ok, I definitely murked Aaron because his stupid rear end got stuck in a first and trapped me in the armory.

On my shuttle was Dahl, Igwe, Sarah, and Mikhai. I had no minor characters in the jumpseats even though we had no casualties in cargo bay. I also blew up Dahl's hacker operator almost immediately and Sarah called and said the oxygen was back on and I didn't have to worry about it. I saved almost every mind controlled human as well.

Still a light shuttle.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Copper Vein posted:

I had no minor characters in the jumpseats even though we had no casualties in cargo bay.

The others aren't visible anywhere; there's just a display screen at the back telling you how many there are.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Are there any other differences like that throughout the game that anyone has noticed?

Not sure if this is based on gender, but all my male Yu runs have had January's comment after killing the head of hardware labs's phantom be "They don't seem to have liked you" while my current female Yu run got something along the lines of "They seemed to admire you - unfortunate".

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jawnycat posted:

Not sure if this is based on gender, but all my male Yu runs have had January's comment after killing the head of hardware labs's phantom be "They don't seem to have liked you" while my current female Yu run got something along the lines of "They seemed to admire you - unfortunate".

This one's puzzling me - on my first playthrough, they said he admired me, on my second one they said he must have hated me. Both were played on the same gender though.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

HenryEx posted:

This one's puzzling me - on my first playthrough, they said he admired me, on my second one they said he must have hated me. Both were played on the same gender though.

Maybe it has to do with the personality test? For my current run, I'm going kill everyone, and answered the questions accordingly.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Anything change if you use the special answer to the test in the beginning?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jawnycat posted:

Maybe it has to do with the personality test? For my current run, I'm going kill everyone, and answered the questions accordingly.

Dunno, my ethics run had "like", while my psychotics run got "hate". Dunno what i answered in the test at the start though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Anything change if you use the special answer to the test in the beginning?

Nope.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Fun discovery: there's a hull breach in Crew Quarters that has the Yu parents' quarters. There's nothing in it though unfortunately.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Jawnycat posted:

It's random. I've had both when I died and had to go back through that part.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I took a break from the game to play other things and I'm getting back into it just to finish it up and get it off my hard drive but I'm running into the issue I had before with the combat being horseshit and making the game a chore. Should I just bump it down to Easy and put everything into powering up my guns so I can just destroy everything quickly? Is there an OP weapon I can raze the whole game with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Stealth+security weapon boost+sneak attack boost+shotgun for typhon, upgraded stun gun for robots, q beam for the bigger typhon.