Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

So say I am in a LMO situation and all of my server side programming is effectively worthless on a resume. The only "real" programming language i know is javascript, which is sad as hell. Should I just pick python or something?

get good at sql

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ugh, I have to wait until Tuesday to give notice because I need to clean out my office over the weekend. also there's this thing I've been working on for quite a while that I really want to finish and I can do that by then. but I keep wanting to just say it. it's hard to sit through meetings.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Sapozhnik posted:

also we chase randroids and "race realists" and mra shitheads out with torches and pitchforks whereas every other computer nerd forum allows those people to fester because ostracizing people is always a really mean thing to do guys

I was ostracized once in high school for expressing my love for Omigaze Tokubetsu Shin and that pain taught me that I must respect what other nerds like /u/redpilljavaguru1488 think - some reddit user, probably, when clicking the up arrow

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

yospos: its very good!!!

hosed up but true

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Munkeymon posted:

I was ostracized once in high school for expressing my love for Omigaze Tokubetsu Shin and that pain taught me that I must respect what other nerds like /u/redpilljavaguru1488 think - some reddit user, probably, when clicking the up arrow

implying that they wouldn't use go or javascript instead

javacucks lol

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Cocoa Crispies posted:

get good at sql

i highly recommend this course of action and can personally assure you that it is both Cool and Good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

So say I am in a LMO situation and all of my server side programming is effectively worthless on a resume. The only "real" programming language i know is javascript, which is sad as hell. Should I just pick python or something?

learn c# and sql server and asp.net

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

even loving microcontrollers use javascript these days

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Bloody posted:

nah from what ive heard oracle realized they're a soul-sucking hellscape so when they built up their cloud team they just went a-poaching from amazon and microsoft and whomever by offering triple

they also tried to create a culture "silo" but unfortunately I hear that failed and it's still oracle :(

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

even loving microcontrollers use javascript these days

clownshoes maker stuff is but real microcontroller work will always be hobbled by c99 and crap proprietary compilers

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Bloody posted:

clownshoes maker stuff is but real microcontroller work will always be hobbled by c99 and crap proprietary compilers

the arm version of gcc is very legit, way better than the propietary crap compiler we were using before

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya it'd be nice to use a real compiler but currently clown shoes is the only option

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

keil seems ok though? I mean, my standards for embedded tools are extraordinarily low

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

keil seems ok though? I mean, my standards for embedded tools are extraordinarily low

it's okay, yeah. I haven't used it since they switched to llvm though.

basically if you want a good tool chain you should be using an arm.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yes but in the real world your pcb will be designed by some greybeard who will put some crappy 16 bit garbage micro on there and back in my day we programmed those with assembler and we liked it! You kids with your electrically eraseable proms and your on die program storage

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

keil isnt the clownshoes in this case and neither is iar

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

get good at sql
sql is crazy useful, and it boggles my mind every time we hire a new person who's never touched sql before, whether they're a new grad or someone with 10 years of dev experience. like, how many dev jobs are there that never interact with a database?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
sql is a relic from the 70s which is why you should use mongodb

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
can you imagine? a whole language just to get data, why not just use these library functions

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

The Leck posted:

sql is crazy useful, and it boggles my mind every time we hire a new person who's never touched sql before, whether they're a new grad or someone with 10 years of dev experience. like, how many dev jobs are there that never interact with a database?

if you're even kinda competent with sql people think you're a wizard, it rules.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Leck posted:

there are databases older than sql and there are applications that don't require particularly rich data persistence. why learn tools for problems you don't have?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

rt4 posted:

sql is a relic from the 70s which is why you should use mongodb

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why use sql when you can perform joins on csv files

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

why use sql when you can perform joins on csv files

if all you need to persist is some settings and user preferences, unironically csv is fine.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

unironically csv is fine.

don't do this

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Leck posted:

runtime dev, frontend app dev, really anything where you aren't on the same system the data is on, operating systems...

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
knowing sql and how to reason about relational data will help you even in a nosql hell

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ive touched sql once in 15 years, was for a management dashboard querying total bug counts per area

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
hmmm sql is probably a good idea, is there a good book or website that people recommend?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189826(v=sql.90).aspx

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING
SQL is cool and good, and I thank my lucky stars every day that my databases prof was so good (even if he was cranky and tough).

I can't imagine how unpleasant working with databases must be without a good grasp of it.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
SQL for Smarties is good as an intermediate/advanced reference. i'd been doing sql poo poo for years and learned stuff

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

schools are trying their hardest not to be vocational schools so they teach you about big o and all fifty variations of whatever useless sorting algorithms instead of using software packages

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

SQL for Smarties is good as an intermediate/advanced reference. i'd been doing sql poo poo for years and learned stuff

i've got "the manga guide to databases" that i 've put off reading forever

Iverron
May 13, 2012

hifi posted:

schools are trying their hardest not to be vocational schools so they teach you about big o and all fifty variations of whatever useless sorting algorithms instead of using software packages

We did FP for 4-5 courses and at the time I absolutely hated / didn't understand it, but I'm really glad for the experience now.

Haskell, Scheme and Common Lisp.

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING

hifi posted:

We had a lot of formal treatment of topics at my uni and, frankly, I wish we that more and I took more math because it helps a lot with reading literature in topics I'm interested in.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hifi posted:

if you do not know the fundamentals of computer science you are a lovely software developer.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

if you do not know the fundamentals of computer science you are a lovely software developer.

dont sign!!!!

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

i didnt appreciate the cs education i had until i came in contact with devs who didnt have it in the real world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Never took a CS class. Frequently don't know some algorithm that "any freshman would".

Working in this industry anyway, doing useful work and getting paid.

• Locked thread