Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whether or not you pay $60 for games depends entirely on how patient you are. I'm not very patient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
True, there is no way in hell I was gonna wait months or a year to get Persona 5

That would be hosed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

veni veni veni posted:

Whether or not you pay $60 for games depends entirely on how patient you are. I'm not very patient.
Yeah, tho Amazon usually has new games from $50-55 which helps a little bit.

Personally, I've been through the Steam sale-bundle ringer for little under decade since that poo poo started taking off, and now I pretty much don't buy bundles or games just because they're on sale because even though it's <$5. It's probably $5 for a mediocre game that "it's alright" but "it's alright" doesn't cut it for me in my older-age since free time is more valuable than just putting up with something "thats ok". I have so much other poo poo I could be doing with my life than playing something that isn't an nearly A+ fun as gently caress game. My backlog (and others if you get down to it) isn't really as bad as it seems since most of that bundle-sale poo poo falls into that category that I'd honestly never play except if I was unemployed on a desert island all by myself for the rest of my life.

So I'd rather drop $50-60 on a shiny new AAA game that I know I'm going to enjoy playing start to finish than wait for a sale (Nier, Witcher, Horizon, Zelda, Prey, Dishonoreds, Dooms, etc). Same with even dropping $15-20 on a brand new indie game I know I'll enjoy (bought things like Stardew, Ori and Blind Forest, Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, etc) no complaints, I don't need to putt around for a sale.

e: That's part of the reason I recently bought a PS4 in addition to my PC is I was really running out of top of the line poo poo I wanted to play on the PC. I'd look at my Steam library and go "ehhh nope" for several hundred unplayed games in a row. Meanwhile I know a PS4 was taunting me with actually really good exclusive games so I caved.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 26, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Was the Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition on ps4 supposed to be good? Or did they gently caress it up somehow? I hope not, because I saw it was on sale for 7.50 last night and bought it...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Snak posted:

Was the Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition on ps4 supposed to be good? Or did they gently caress it up somehow? I hope not, because I saw it was on sale for 7.50 last night and bought it...

I got it for €5, it runs pretty badly on PS4 for such an old game I have to say.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. poo poo adds up. I buy a lot of stuff at release and I've been trying to cut down. In the end though if I really want to play something I'd rather pay full price than have to wait months to play it and save $30. If it's not at the top of my radar I can wait months or even years, even if I know it's something I'll enjoy.

This last 7 or 8 months has been brutal on my wallet because so much good stuff came out. There's really nothing for a while I care enough to buy day one though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'm probably concurrently playing 11 games at the moment, 6 of which have been recent releases

This year has been stupid good for game releases, to a point where it's becoming a burden!!! And it's barely about to be June, christ on a cracker

Now a game has to literally be a potential perfect ten for me to dig into because there's just too much good stuff to wade through, what a time to be alive

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do you think the FC5 trailer has enough images of a cross? I don't think it has enough images of a cross. Some people might not get what they are going for.

Hold the phone, the game about an evangelical death cult has crossed everywhere? 🤔

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So my pro has garbage loving nightmare download speeds compared to my launch PS4. Anyone know where to start on fixing this? This is a joke and Sonys servers are a joke.

Been downloading Dirt for about 16 hours and it still has 24 hours to go. I have tried pausing and resuming. Either I can't get a decent server to save my life on anything I have downloaded or there is something wrong with the wifi on it.

Goddamn Sony you suck.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

should be the opposite , sounds like an issue with your wifi although the odds of there being a problem with Sony's servers are usually... high

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I mean, it's the same connection I was using up until I got a new console. It's always been sort of slow because Sonys servers are garbage but nothing like this.

I honestly just think it might be their servers. I wish it was easier to tell if it is even working in rest mode. I kind of suspect it's not.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I mean, it's the same connection I was using up until I got a new console. It's always been sort of slow because Sonys servers are garbage but nothing like this.

I honestly just think it might be their servers. I wish it was easier to tell if it is even working in rest mode. I kind of suspect it's not.

Is there a settings toggle for allowing downloads in rest mode? If it exists, is it on?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yup it's on. I keep trying to download stuff in rest mode and I come back and virtually nothing or nothing at all has happened.

I wish I had checked the progress last night when I went to bed to see where it was at but I was kind of in shock that it was only half downloaded when I turned it on today. It's hard to be sure though. I'll probably come back in an hour and see where it's at.

Something similar just happened with Farpoint too.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Are you wired or wireless?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It's also slower for me, but not nightmarish slow, just freaking slow in a 'come the gently caress on Sony' way.
The bastards have been using the worst servers they could muster for quite a while now.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Everybody's Golf PS4 quickly became a game I will purchase, unless I get busy with all the PSVR games I'm drowning in. Being $40 makes it easier, so chill and relaxed.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

MrLonghair posted:

Everybody's Golf PS4 quickly became a game I will purchase, unless I get busy with all the PSVR games I'm drowning in. Being $40 makes it easier, so chill and relaxed.

I really want to be excited for Everybody's Golf, but the difficulty spike in Hot Shots Vita kind of ruined it for me. Maybe it's just me, but that game got hard real quick.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Is this HyperX CloudX Pro the headset model everyone recommends? or is it the model below? Anyways it's on sale for $60 (normal price is $100) at the MS store w/free shipping.

Slickdeals thread with some discussion on console use etc

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Healbot posted:

It's also slower for me, but not nightmarish slow, just freaking slow in a 'come the gently caress on Sony' way.
The bastards have been using the worst servers they could muster for quite a while now.

Somebody with knowledge wrote in to giant bomb about it. Sony pairs you with a server and thats it. Steam finds the best server or combo of servers for you. Xbl is somewhere in between. I forget specifics, but it was complicated and not just a hardware issue in the server farm

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I got it for €5, it runs pretty badly on PS4 for such an old game I have to say.

Huh? i've been playing it, runs fine and looks good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Obsurveyor posted:

I'm glad Zack Snyder and his DC producer wife are on sabbatical, hopefully forever. DC might get some good films now. BvS was okay, except for everything to do with Batman and Superman.

I like how in every other thread revolving around the movies everyone was respectful around this issue and of course it's the PS4 thread where this poo poo crops up "Maybe we'll get some good movies now :smug: "

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I like how in every other thread revolving around the movies everyone was respectful around this issue and of course it's the PS4 thread where this poo poo crops up "Maybe we'll get some good movies now :smug: "

Yeah because family tragedy means we should just enshrine everything they've pooped out for forever and ever now? Grow the gently caress up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also on Far Cry 5: It looks like you can pick the gender and race of the protagonist

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Obsurveyor posted:

Yeah because family tragedy means we should just enshrine everything they've pooped out forever and ever now? Grow the gently caress up.
The last thing on my mind when someone has to bow out of a project because their daughter committed suicide is "Now a corporate franchise's product quality might improve", because that would be sociopathic

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The last thing on my mind when someone has to bow out of a project because their daughter committed suicide is "Now a corporate franchise's product quality might improve", because that would be sociopathic

Holy poo poo, you're the sociopath here making these implications. Zack Snyder has been bad at this poo poo for a long time and now he's out. The reason doesn't matter. If he said he was quitting cause he had all the money he needs, I'd be just as happy and hope for the same thing for DC universe. It's been beat to poo poo and he's treated it like crap ever since they handed it to him.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also on Far Cry 5: It looks like you can pick the gender and race of the protagonist

:hellyeah:

Can't wait to see the tweets about white genocide on it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

honestly kinda surprised at that one

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

ya but how many gender options???

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

ya but how many gender options???
The best was always to just have a slider like in Saints Row 2.

edit: I want a Vietnamese grandma.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 27, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

veni veni veni posted:

Yup it's on. I keep trying to download stuff in rest mode and I come back and virtually nothing or nothing at all has happened.

Yea seriously what the gently caress. At first I thought I was imagining things, but then I tested it and nothing downloaded in rest mode. Checked the option and it is turned on. Happened again just a few days ago.

Turning on my PS4 and having 1-2 patches just starting to download is the worst thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

Yea seriously what the gently caress. At first I thought I was imagining things, but then I tested it and nothing downloaded in rest mode. Checked the option and it is turned on. Happened again just a few days ago.

Turning on my PS4 and having 1-2 patches just starting to download is the worst thing.

Yeah it's like the opposite of my og PS4 which started blazing once I put it in rest mode.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PS4 Pro-bably shouldn't buy :smug:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mine works

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

VideoGames posted:

SMB2 is definitely in my top 5 games of all time. I begged for it for my birthday and was so stoked to get it and play it. It remains one of my most joyous video game presents :D

as a moderator named "VideoGames" what are your top 10 favorite games? Cause i'd probably put Portal 2 in my top ten, but I'd swap SMB3 with Super Mario World.

also yeah lol how this thread has become people nitpicking over other people's criticisms of games. Games are fun!

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Far Cry 2 had a lot more wrong with it than respawning outposts, it was zero fun at all

I recently started playing it for the first time on my PS3, and was having a good time with it, until I ran into a game-ending bug about 12 hours in where I couldn't get missions from either of the factions in the first main town. Apparently this bug has existed since launch and they never fixed it. I immediately deleted it because gently caress that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So I have been checking on and off and rest mode does not outright pause my downloads on my pro, but it totally loving throttles them to the point where they might as well be paused. It's like the second it goes into rest mode it finds the worst server it can and when I turn it back on it's incredibly hard/ not possible to find a good one. I had about 3 hours estimate to finish the last 20 gigs of Dirt Rally, put it rest mode. 3 hours later it's downloaded 2 gigs and has an estimated 25 hours wait to finish. Pause/resume over and over and I can't find a server that is much better.

What on earth could be causing this? This is so loving stupid I'm tempted to try and return this thing unless there is just some dumb thing I'm missing, which seems unlikely since I have been over every setting ten times now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BisterdDave posted:

I really want to be excited for Everybody's Golf, but the difficulty spike in Hot Shots Vita kind of ruined it for me. Maybe it's just me, but that game got hard real quick.

Nah, EG Vita was viciously hard. It's not just you.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

:hellyeah:

Can't wait to see the tweets about white genocide on it.

From back when all we had was the cover image.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah Vita EG was skull achingly hard in the later events but I still love it. The new EG seems fun too. I like how you can walk around the holes

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

kirbysuperstar posted:

Today I learned the average American does not believe in the First Amendment.

Until they need to spew their vitriol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

kirbysuperstar posted:

As someone who really wishes coverage of games at many sites could read a lot less like the front page of Salon, I'd offer the same outlook on these folks and suggest they too have a Coke and a smile and just enjoy the pew pews.