Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I hope one day Martin Shkrelli develops a super villain serum like Norman Osborne and he tests it on himself, only instead of becoming the Green Goblin he turns into the screaming blob from the end of Akira and just pops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I think the leaks from the Tormp administration show that legitimacy/political capital matter a lot. That's not inherently a good or bad thing. Reminds me of how Chinese emperors claimed legitimacy through divine right, but if everyone hated their guts, they "lost the Mandate of Heaven." In other words, even in an absolutist monarchy, a ruler has to build and maintain social and political capital. For his many faults, Louis XIV understood that. The Cheeto Benito does not.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BarbarianElephant posted:

It's the loving alt-left on this site. I'd like to know what they *do* want, because everything every establishment person does is worthless in their eyes. If some amazing Democrat leader managed to introduce full socialized medicine, they'd still whine like little bitches because it didn't cure all cancer instantly or something.

I want a Democrat that manages not to cock up a crucial election and hand control of the Executive and Legislative branches to the Republicans that should be a gimme. Does that help?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'll take zuck over trump, but i'd take many things that would probably kill me over trump

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Pakled posted:

He isn't a good candidate, but you've seen Trump debate too, right?

Zuckerberg would be a worse debater than Trump. It's not even close.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

empty whippet box posted:

. Zuckerberg is a good candidate and I'm ready to support him as long as the policies he espouses line up with mine

lol but in a sad way

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Won't. Trump is an attention addict. Not unless the lawyers follow him into the bathroom every morning​.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

ok but making it clear this is an actual expectation, not a bullshit one like the economic rules for being in the eurozone they let greece ignore is probably a good idea right?

Yes, it is a requirement.

However, I doubt anything will happen to a member state that doesn't meet the standard. NATO is an important tool for the US to legitimize its actions around the world. Being left with only England and Poland(?), doesn't do much for the US anymore.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 26, 2017

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

maskenfreiheit posted:

Question: is it true that part of the nato treaty states states should spend 2% of GDP on their military?

If so, while Trump is not being very diplomatic, isn't it valid to complain they are not meeting their obligations?

Supposedly the nato treaty states that states have until 2024 to get to 2% of GDP spending on military.

source: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/dont-forget-trump-is-brazenly-lying-about-nato

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Sloober posted:

gently caress yeah! You ride that rocketship to state fiscal crisis wisconsin!

https://twitter.com/ScottWalker/status/868158321542533120

I own my home in Wisconsin and pay about $2,700 a year in property taxes. I think the state portion is around $10 or $11 of it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Plot twist: Zukerborg is replaced with Jesse Eisenberg halfway through the primary and everyone is astounded at how much more personable and human he suddenly seems without realizing it.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Won't. Drumpf is an attention addict. Not unless the lawyers follow him into the bathroom every morning​.

The whitehouse wifi could mysteriously have trouble accessing Twitter.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Won't. Trump is an attention addict. Not unless the lawyers follow him into the bathroom every morning​.

Yeah he'd fire those lawyers the moment they told him that tweeting something was a bad idea.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I get Zuck is a terrible candidate and speaker with no experience but so was Trump and welp here we are.

After 4 years of Trump I could easily Zuck get the primary Nod if he promises the world like Trump did. Just the left version of it. So instead of banning Muslims, building walls, lock up Hillary and opening the coal mines again. Zuck promises UBI, free weed, tons of wind/solar, and locking up Trump yea he could easily get the Nod of liberals who are desperate like conservatives were in 2016.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Counterpoint: The 2017 Republicans still talk about Lincoln.

And how many goons buy it?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Slade/status/868157697350410240

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

But how can social media ruin discourse if radio and TV already did?!?

Social media can ruin it in entirely new ways that TV/radio could not. TV and radio are largely passive, and while that works well for a selection of people for teaching propaganda, social media systems are interactive and more importantly, they can be gamed. For the heavy users, getting Likes or being retweeted gives them a gigantic chubby and you can see most of the content people publish on social media is very low effort poo poo that is just forwarded or copied from elsewhere. If you have a propaganda agenda and you provide compact nuggets of your message in an easily digestible format, like (don't laugh) a funny meme picture or a really startling clickbait blurb, your heavy users that were already listening for your message will then aggressively spread it for you, to targets you never could have reached with passive media. Being anonymous is also a huge factor because it frees your promoters of social consequences for advocating ugly poo poo like white power, whereas if they appeared on television or even in radio, their neighbors and friends would recognize them.

e: IF YOU APPRECIATED THIS POST BE SURE TO LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE AND RETWEET :thumbsup:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 26, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd support him if he were running for governor or Congress. The presidency is too important to gamble on a candidate with no experience or track record.

Yeah, this is where I am with the Zuck. I don't hate the policies he appears to support. He comes across as about as sincere as a fresh-faced tech billionaire possibly could (which is not a particularly high bar, but hey). But running someone for president with no track record and no experience is a massive loving gamble and I'm not in the mood to gamble.

That said, if he somehow won the 2020 Democratic primary and went up against Trump I'd vote for him. Probably not in the primary, though, unless like nobody else runs except, like, Clinton again.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

If Zuck dumps his entire fortune supporting downticket races across the country he can get my support, Democrats need money and Soros doesn't pay out like the right likes to pretend he does.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah, this. The moment they knock him off his soapbox is the moment he "resigns for medical reasons" or something like that.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I get Zuck is a terrible candidate and speaker with no experience but so was Trump and welp here we are.

After 4 years of Trump I could easily Zuck get the primary Nod if he promises the world like Trump did. Just the left version of it. So instead of banning Muslims, building walls, lock up Hillary and opening the coal mines again. Zuck promises UBI, free weed, tons of wind/solar, and locking up Trump yea he could easily get the Nod of liberals who are desperate like conservatives were in 2016.

That reminds me of Trump supporters alright -projection!

Zuckerberg is pretty centrist. He'd run a business-friendly campaign decent on social issues, but hardly what left-wingers are dreaming of. I don't think he'd lock up Trump. UBI? Don't make me laugh! Possibly some pro-weed legalization stuff.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

nine-gear crow posted:

I hope one day Martin Shkrelli develops a super villain serum like Norman Osborne and he tests it on himself, only instead of becoming the Green Goblin he turns into the screaming blob from the end of Akira and just pops.

Or just a regular OD.That'd be cool, too.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So why are people lining up excitedly to do the same thing we're all bitching about again?

Oh yeah, we dum

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

JazzFlight posted:

I don't wanna see this loving dweeb's face anywhere near the democratic primary.

If wants to prove himself, he can run for congress first and actually fight for some policies

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BarbarianElephant posted:

It's the loving alt-left on this site. I'd like to know what they *do* want, because everything every establishment person does is worthless in their eyes. If some amazing Democrat leader managed to introduce full socialized medicine, they'd still whine like little bitches because it didn't cure all cancer instantly or something.

there is no such thing as the "alt-left"

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

UBI is being tested by corporations right now. There's a concern they're planning on using it to convince the government to totally get rid of social services.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Missing Donut posted:

I own my home in Wisconsin and pay about $2,700 a year in property taxes. I think the state portion is around $10 or $11 of it.

You pay federal property taxes?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, the thing is, someone like Zuckerberg could probably do a lot more good by finding good candidates to support with his giant bags of money than by running himself. That he's clearly positioning to run himself instead of doing that just makes me think he overvalues his own competence and has somehow convinced himself "only he can fix it." I'm not sure if that's fair, but like if he got his own ego out of the way and worked to support people who know what they're doing I'd be thrilled.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Aves Maria! posted:

there is no such thing as the "alt-left"

I agree but what label should we use for someone like Jimmy Dore?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I would vote for Zuck if he printed it every racist Facebook post or comment of every candidate for every office nationwide and sent that to the press.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'd bet a lot of these loving things are on 24/7 surveillance

On further review it looks like this law doesn't prohibit modifying the monuments, so maybe they could be updated to properly describe the Confederates as the traitors and slavers they were.

maskenfreiheit posted:

Question: is it true that part of the nato treaty states states should spend 2% of GDP on their military?

If so, while Trump is not being very diplomatic, isn't it valid to complain they are not meeting their obligations?

It's absolutely valid to complain that an ally isn't meeting their obligations, but throwing a tantrum in public like a child isn't going to make said allies take you any more seriously.

Ekster posted:

Zuckerberg will get choke slammed by The Rock who will go on to win the presidency.

Does this mean that Gianfonte will be The Rock's running mate?

Also holy poo poo gently caress every last one of you who think Zuckerberg should be allowed to hold an elected office of any kind. He's a billionaire SV techbro. Nothing about him or his behavior is progressive you idiots. If he could flood the tech sector with cheap foreign labor to crash the wages for those jobs he'd do it without hesitation.

Yeah I'm sure Donald motherfucking Trump is going to be ok with having to have a lawyer greenlight his posts on Twitter.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TildeATH posted:

You pay federal property taxes?

Municipal most likely

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Slow news day, yeah. But just spoke with someone whose argument about the choke-slam was, "reporters are the real bullies :qq:, the rep just fought back like a 12 year old hitting a 15 year old bully!"

:psyduck:

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
The difference between Zuckerberg and Trump is that while Trump says absolutely ridiculous things, he says them with force and confidence. Zuckerberg looks like a wet blade of grass whenever he tries to articulate anything serious.

And he sweats.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I agree but what label should we use for someone like Jimmy Dore?

I don't know, but "alt-left" is a really awful term that only exists because people are desperate to normalize the alt-right and paint them as something that isn't unique to the right. Most of what people are trying to describe as the "alt-left" is literally just the left wing of the Democratic party.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The flaw in this reasoning though would be that maybe Zucky would be about as good a president as Trump. So even if he did win by some miracle, we'd be stuck with another idiot.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

CelestialScribe posted:

The difference between Zuckerberg and Trump is that while Trump says absolutely ridiculous things, he says them with force and confidence. Zuckerberg looks like a wet blade of grass whenever he tries to articulate anything serious.

And he sweats.

Say what you will about toxic masculinity, there's something unsettling about a president you can vividly imagine shoving into a locker.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah I'm sure Donald motherfucking Trump is going to be ok with having to have a lawyer greenlight his posts on Twitter.

He can't stand being told No in any arena, he certainly won't stand for it there.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Spun Dog posted:

The flaw in this reasoning though would be that maybe Zucky would be about as good a president as Trump. So even if he did win by some miracle, we'd be stuck with another idiot.

Zuck is a lot of things but I really don't think he's an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

enraged_camel posted:

oh man, look who joined the seth rich conspiracy circle-jerk!

That shithead deserves to get kneed repeatedly in the cock. Repeatedly. gently caress him.

nine-gear crow posted:

Plot twist: Zukerborg is replaced with Jesse Eisenberg halfway through the primary and everyone is astounded at how much more personable and human he suddenly seems without realizing it.
Doesn't Jesse Eisenberg suffer from a shitload of mental health issues and uses acting/writing as a coping mechanism? Off the top of my head, I know at least that he suffers from depression and OCD (Jennifer Lawrence thought it was "cute" and "wishes she could have a thing" like him, not knowing that even having one of those is incredibly crippling for a day-to-day life).

I know, joke post, but still.

• Locked thread