Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

Leraika posted:

Yep, it would totally suck. (and were terrified about missing a quest because Nier).

:negative:

Take solace in knowing you're not the only one :smith:

Spatula City posted:

I dearly love all these machines. like, everything in the game seems morally ambiguous at best, but I can't conceive of any better cause than helping out Pascal and his people. :3:

Except J-P. What a blight on an otherwise perfect little village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

The Dark Id posted:

As I’ve said, they are NOT a factor in this story. They’re just set dressing. That’s why their appearance was the most generic Japanese version of default aliens. Which is, yes, penis monsters with tentacles. And before you start with the “oh Japan...” casual racism... they got that poo poo from the Americans. Specifically, the Martian description from War of the Worlds. Which is pretty much... a big phallic thing with eyes, a beak and a mess of tentacles at the bottom. The more you know...

But H.G. Wells was English!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Doing these quests early isn't that bad. The world is pretty small, the only real slog is getting into or out of the middle of the desert.

Also I expected there to be some bigger philosophical or existentialist point to the J-P quest but nope it's literally just "Jean-Paul Sartre was a complete rear end in a top hat".

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

havenwaters posted:

That would suck wouldn't it. Might drive a man mad you'd say. :unsmigghh:

I repeat myself from earlier in the thread:

END ME SCOOB posted:

Anyway, this was what I looked like when I got fast travel, and I threw the game down in a rage for a day.

BUT I HAD A REALLY GOOD LOADOUT I'VE USED EVER SINCE

gently caress me sideways.

dalthorn
Apr 23, 2016

Edit: I guess I may of overlooked what would of been a spoiler in the post.

dalthorn fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 26, 2017

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I know Id made a passing mention of it in the update, but as an added note, there was some difficulty concerning the voice acting due to the legal issues concerning Jean-Paul/Sartre's name. The VA's had long since recorded all the dialogue, including some lines mentioning him by name, and it presumably would cost a lot to drag them back into the studio to record lines, so Platinum just decided to have a goofy sound effect *BLEEP* literally every time someone says "Sar-*BLEEP*."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
FWIW, this isn't done in Japan because it is impossible to win copyright cases in Japan unless you are Japanese.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Mzbundifund posted:

But H.G. Wells was English!

Yeah, he was. But America kinda did this whole invasion and occupation thing a while back and really crammed a lot of western culture down Japan's throats. And a lot of weird Japanese poo poo traces its roots back to 1940's America being into some weird poo poo. I'll change it to the West instead.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 26, 2017

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

dalthorn posted:

Not sure if it was ever brought up in the thread but there is a Nier: Automata music video.

This video is spoilers.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I repeat myself from earlier in the thread:

gently caress me sideways.

What is wrong with your brain that you somehow grinded to level 99 on super low level enemies before getting fast travel.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah I really want to know how and why you reached level 99 that early.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I'm kind of curious why Sartre has followers. Like, honestly he doesn't seem like that much of a jerk - he doesn't want followers, and yet they're totally obsessed with him for basically no reason. And all "female". Maybe it's his hat.

SIGSEGV posted:

It'd be kinda awkward if Jean-Paul's "admirer" in the amusement park was Simone.

Also JP's eyes are insufficiently hosed up.

Kind of a familiar silhouette, isnt it?

Qrr fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 26, 2017

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Qrr posted:

I'm kind of curious why Sartre has followers. Like, honestly he doesn't seem like that much of a jerk - he doesn't want followers, and yet they're totally obsessed with him for basically no reason. And all "female". Maybe it's his hat.

Definitely the hat. The only thing more dapper than a robot with a top hat is a skeleton in a suit.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014
I dunno, I did these quests before having fast travel. But I'm the sort of weird rear end in a top hat who enjoys just running around in games, so it didn't really bother me that much.

Also gently caress Jean-Paul. Literally the worst machine, and a strong argument for why the war is justified.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
When Jean Paul first went into his philosophical ramblings I thought he might be the writer of the Machine Blade story.

It would make sense that a Machine reading the bible ten times over and then figuring out that he knows nothing would turn into a philosophical twat :colbert:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Qrr posted:

I'd make a joke about 2B saving them from a bad marriage but it's too late for me to find one.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
...I like some of Sarte's ideas :smith:

I'll be the first to admit that he always struck me as someone best known from a long distance though. I definitely wouldn't want to have dinner with the guy.

e: on the plus side, you also just picked up my favourite quest so far :3: (I'm about where the LP is at the moment due to a lot of stuff keeping me from this game until very recently)

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

His philosophy wasn't what made him a complete prick, it was merely his being a complete prick, I don't think he could see eye to eye with anyone.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatula City posted:

I dearly love all these machines. like, everything in the game seems morally ambiguous at best, but I can't conceive of any better cause than helping out Pascal and his people. :3:

Even Jean-Paul? I just find it so weird that 99% of the village are really sweet and endearing and then you have this rear end in a top hat just hanging around.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I wonder what Sarte would have thought if he had lived long enough to see a crazy Japanese video game developer make a sidequest entirely devoted to calling him an rear end in a top hat.

The Dark Id posted:

Hmm... not the best paint job we’ve seen. She should really go ask the Machine family for some pointers... But, that’s none of our business. Let’s hear what she has to say about Jean-Paul for... wait, why are we doing this again...?

Is she wearing a loving Ring Pop on her finger?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Is she wearing a loving Ring Pop on her finger?

Papa machine liked it, so he put a ring on it. Not his fault machines have literally zero interest in using diamonds for things other than drill bits and saw blades. Poor guy had to improvise.

Hunt11 posted:

Even Jean-Paul? I just find it so weird that 99% of the village are really sweet and endearing and then you have this rear end in a top hat just hanging around.
Everyone knows that every sizable group of people (well, group of machines) has at least one guy who is the designated rear end in a top hat of the group.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hey give him some credit for owning the Alt-Right before they were at thing

Jean-Paul Sartre posted:

The anti‐Semite has chosen hate because hate is a faith; at the outset he has chosen to devaluate words and reasons. How entirely at ease he feels as a result. How futile and frivolous discussions about the rights of the Jew appear to him. He has placed himself on other ground from the beginning. If out of courtesy he consents for a moment to defend his point of view, he lends himself but does not give himself. He tries simply to project his intuitive certainty onto the plane of discourse. I mentioned awhile back some remarks by anti‐Semites, all of them absurd: "I hate Jews because they make servants insubordinate, because a Jewish furrier robbed me, etc." Never believe that anti‐ Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti‐Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past. It is not that they are afraid of being convinced. They fear only to appear ridiculous or to prejudice by their embarrassment their hope of winning over some third person to their side. ..
What he flees even more than Reason is his intimate awareness of himself. But someone will object: What if he is like that only with regard to the Jews? What if he otherwise conducts himself with good sense? I reply that that is impossible. There is the case of a fishmonger who, in 1942, annoyed by the competition of two Jewish fishmongers who were concealing their race, one fine day took pen in hand and denounced them. I have been assured that this fishmonger was in other respects a mild and jovial man, the best of sons. But I don't believe it. A man who finds it entirely natural to denounce other men cannot have our conception of humanity; he does not see even those whom be aids in the same light as we do. His generosity, his kindness are not like our kindness, our generosity. You cannot confine passion to one sphere.

Also I am 100% sure that despite what I just said, there is someone on Reddit right now finishing their treatise on how Nier's Jean-Paul is Redpill as gently caress

Not A Gay Name
Nov 8, 2008

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I know Id made a passing mention of it in the update, but as an added note, there was some difficulty concerning the voice acting due to the legal issues concerning Jean-Paul/Sartre's name. The VA's had long since recorded all the dialogue, including some lines mentioning him by name, and it presumably would cost a lot to drag them back into the studio to record lines, so Platinum just decided to have a goofy sound effect *BLEEP* literally every time someone says "Sar-*BLEEP*."

I actually really like how they handled it. It's very Kill Bill and anytime they say *BLEEP*'s name. If you're gonna break the 4th wall, it's best when you just own it and act like it's perfectly normal.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I wonder where the machines and androids are finding all the records of humanity's past. Regular paper books seem a bit unlikely to be found intact after all this time, so are they running into bits of internet servers and hard drives or something?

The Dark Id posted:

I know just said the last update to avoid taking a bunch of quests

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Existentialism is dangerous because it dabbles in concepts that rely talking a lot about metaphysics, and metaphysics is the branch of philosophy most prone to devolving into complete bullshit. Every time you've ever mocked philosophy you're probably thinking about someone discussing metaphysics.

The only problem is... most of the time, metaphysical bullshit is reasonably (internally) coherent and when you go to the bother of thinking it all through it holds up. The problem is that all of these fascinating conclusions are completely useless. Most objections to metaphysics are basically an extended "so what?".

A classic example; it turns out that two of the most difficult concepts to define are truth and identity. The notion of any two things being the same thing requires such a staggering burden of circumstance that it's basically impossible, and it's technically easier to prove that two things are not different than that they are the same, or that a thing is not false than that it is true. There's loving reams and reams of this poo poo. I looked into some of it once. It checked out, I thought. I felt very clever for about a second and a half. Then I instantly forgot it.

Jean-Paul *bleep* here started out on a spiel about essence and existence, and which came first, which is an equally fascinating rabbit hole you'll want to walk past. Essence is the most fundamental aspect of being some particular thing - what all things that are a given particular thing have and what all things that are not a given particular thing lack. Existence is... well, okay that one doesn't need much background (don't talk about definite description don't talk about definite description). So which of those things is dependent on the other? Is what it is a function of whether it is, or is the fact of being determined for a given thing? It's deeply fascinating. Maybe.

Existentialism is, in essence (lol) what happens after you realise that existence does, in fact, precede essence. Existential dread is, broadly, the consideration of... well, you definitely exist (thanks, Descartes), so then... what the gently caress are you? To what extent can you say you are any given thing? Can you meaningfully self determine? Is there even any meaning to be found, or is there only meaning to be ascribed? It kinda spirals from there. It's a trip.

We might conclude that Yoko Taro is definitely an existentialist, sort of, although that would probably be getting ahead of ourselves.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Everyone should've listened to Kant and stopped doing metaphysics.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Fedule posted:

A classic example; it turns out that two of the most difficult concepts to define are truth and identity. The notion of any two things being the same thing requires such a staggering burden of circumstance that it's basically impossible, and it's technically easier to prove that two things are not different than that they are the same, or that a thing is not false than that it is true. There's loving reams and reams of this poo poo. I looked into some of it once. It checked out, I thought. I felt very clever for about a second and a half. Then I instantly forgot it.

Those are things some branches of mathematics (and sometimes computer science) tend to care about a lot; though not being in the real world ... changes things.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fedule posted:

Existentialism is, in essence (lol) what happens after you realise that existence does, in fact, precede essence. Existential dread is, broadly, the consideration of... well, you definitely exist (thanks, Descartes), so then... what the gently caress are you? To what extent can you say you are any given thing? Can you meaningfully self determine? Is there even any meaning to be found, or is there only meaning to be ascribed? It kinda spirals from there. It's a trip.

It's a trip that tends to give me panic attacks if I sit still and think about it for too long, which, on balance, is probably the correct response.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Don't worry! Soon you'll die and you won't have to worry about any of this bullshit anymore.

dalthorn
Apr 23, 2016

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Don't worry! Soon you'll die and you won't have to worry about any of this bullshit anymore.

Ah, the mantra that gets me through the day.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Eopia posted:

What is wrong with your brain that you somehow grinded to level 99 on super low level enemies before getting fast travel.

Sindai posted:

Yeah I really want to know how and why you reached level 99 that early.
In short: never not killing things when going between quests, then trying to power up a little for some of the harder fights, then it became "well I'm close to having the drops for this weapon upgrade" which would become "you know just a few more bucks for this chip upgrade" and then...

"One more turn" writ large.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
RADICAL FREEDOM!

You have the radical freedom to do your makeup on a hubcap and just do a faceplant into it!

You have the radical freedom to just completely loving blow off a letter you received!

You have the radical freedom to plug yourself into what I am only presuming is some massive network of empty, echoing madness! Or maybe not! But I can't stop you!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My freshman year in college, our math class started off proving 1+1=2 (which mainly involves a lot of "define 1" "define addition" and such) and worked through mathematics up to e^2*pi*i=1 by the end. That sort of definition of truth that really only needs to be done once to prove the footing is solid before going on into the weird maths.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I personally think the *BEEP* works in the quests favor, because it sounds like 9S is calling him rude words instead of his name.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Bruceski posted:

My freshman year in college, our math class started off proving 1+1=2 (which mainly involves a lot of "define 1" "define addition" and such) and worked through mathematics up to e^2*pi*i=1 by the end. That sort of definition of truth that really only needs to be done once to prove the footing is solid before going on into the weird maths.

Right, but how do you know the whole system is internally consistent? There's no guarantee that if you keep building on those basic axioms and foundations you won't eventually derive contradictory statements, is there?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lord_Magmar posted:

I personally think the *BEEP* works in the quests favor, because it sounds like 9S is calling him rude words instead of his name.

Sartre? more like Fartre

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Right, but how do you know the whole system is internally consistent? There's no guarantee that if you keep building on those basic axioms and foundations you won't eventually derive contradictory statements, is there?

That's the glory of mathematics.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Welcome to one of the big obsessions of late 19th century and early 20th century mathematics. Or as the Germans called it, the Grundlagenkrise der Mathematik.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This reminds me of one of my favorite images.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S3aH-BNf6I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Waffleman_ posted:

This reminds me of one of my favorite images.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S3aH-BNf6I

Oh my goodness, I'd never seen the voice acted version before. Amazing.

• Locked thread