Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

New CrowbCat video, this time comparing the E3 reveal of DOOM 2016 to the actual final release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU6uZW-wKuQ

It's a great watch for two reasons:
1.)People complain about game companies knowingly tarting up their E3 footage and then downgrading for the final game, but Doom was the one time someone was honest and the final game was actual an improvement and people unilaterally bitched and moaned about how poor it looked compared to games that lied and got ton of hype.
2.)When the game came out and was great one of the ways people tried to justify being wrong was saying that the early footage was slow and clunky compared to the final game, but CrowbCat shows them side by side and they are literally exactly the same gameplay and animations.

The final game is also slow and clunky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

Bad thing(s):
80% of the voices in the game are interchangeable dumb low gravelly demon voices

I guarantee Metzen is doing all of those.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FirstAidKite posted:

I dunno much about tales of the abyss but based on my knowledge of the plot, I think the ff7 comparison is fairly apt yeah?

maybe on like a surface level but abyss is more a story about how all human life holds value, even if it's "fake" or "manufactured", and even if you feel like you exist as a replacement for someone else you need to love yourself and understand that the people around you love you for who you are

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

As per usual for me, I can already tell that about 90 percent of my deaths are going to be from taking falling damage in the dinosaur robot game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bicyclops posted:

As per usual for me, I can already tell that about 90 percent of my deaths are going to be from taking falling damage in the dinosaur robot game.

There is an ability that helps with this!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

Thankfully Persona 5 has a bunch of pre-designed dungeons (though it also has a big procgenned one) and thus is much better to play. I don't really think that the writing is as good though...

playing p5 and loving it is what inspired me to try 4 and tbh while i like a lot of the characters in 4 the plot in 5 is more interesting 2 me

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

numbers

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I played ARMS and guess what? It owns.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There is an ability that helps with this!

I think right now I'm just bad at seeing the little yellow marks that say "you can climb me," but I'll get better at it. More importantly is I'm not great at stealth yet, but that's just getting used to the controls, I think.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played Rev2 for like 10 hours straight today and my nerves are fried.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNCme2bP4wY

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

I played Rev2 for like 10 hours straight today and my nerves are fried.

drat. I got through two hours of bumbling through HZD and spent half of it trying to calm down the bird, haha.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

When the rapture hits not only are the dead brought back to life from nothing but they are back to their physically sexual peak.

Don't ask why it's just a quirk of the program Jesus wrote.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

When the rapture hits not only are the dead brought back to life from nothing but they are back to their physically sexual peak.

Don't ask why it's just a quirk of the program Jesus wrote.

jesus really likes gilfs

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i just drove for 7 hours and boy are my arms tired

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

i just drove for 7 hours and boy are my arms tired

Condolences. Enjoy the weird feeling like your head is humming, because of the absence of the car noise, restless legs, and a weird feeling like you need to pop your ears but can't.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the child robot in va-ll hall-a is as bad as people have said

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So is Guilty Gear Rev 2 really that good? They don't seem to show up on Gamefly and fighting game-wise I'm going to be occupied by Injustice canceling into Tekken

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GG is my fave fighting game and also one of my favorite games period but Rev2 is very much more Xrd, so if you have given it a shot in the past and didn't enjoy it there's nothing that's going to be radically different in Rev2 to sway you

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

the child robot in va-ll hall-a is as bad as people have said

Actually she is your best friend.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In Training posted:

GG is my fave fighting game and also one of my favorite games period but Rev2 is very much more Xrd, so if you have given it a shot in the past and didn't enjoy it there's nothing that's going to be radically different in Rev2 to sway you

I actually haven't! The only fighting games I've played in the past ten years have been Street Fighter and NRS games, so what makes GG unique?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBTAGVnfXAw

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

My friend convinced me to play Hero of the Storms, it's fun. I played DotA 2 a few times about five years ago, that's my background

Things I appreciate:
I'm a dummy who likes Blizzard's art style
The skill system is very intuitive
Not having to worry about a bunch of poo poo like items and consumables and stealing kills away enemy heroes or whatever
Games last ten to fifteen minutes
Playing co-op vs the AI means a sure but challenging win

Bad thing(s):
80% of the voices in the game are interchangeable dumb low gravelly demon voices

I don't know how long I'll keep logging in but it's good clean fun for now!
Wait, seriously? I'm actually interested in HotS now. My biggest beef with Mobas so far is that their learnjg curve is super steep, and yet each game takes almost an hour, so when you are learning, it's often "well, I was teying my nest but didn't understand how to capitalize on my character's strengths, so now we're gonna lose 40 minutes from now"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I actually haven't! The only fighting games I've played in the past ten years have been Street Fighter and NRS games, so what makes GG unique?

Quite a lot. This is nice timing, here's a friendly exhibition of some of the best NA players that just started and will probably include the entire cast https://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The design philosophy of GG is basically that, instead of defensive options, what if everyone had one million different offensive options.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I have GG Xrd, but I haven't played it much due to lack of an irl play partner. I played a lot of GG X2 about a decade ago...

It's a really slick, really fast game. I would say it's highly technical, but I think it's more accurate to say it has the potential to be highly technical, but you don't need to understand, say, air counters to pick it up...

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Snak posted:

Wait, seriously? I'm actually interested in HotS now. My biggest beef with Mobas so far is that their learnjg curve is super steep, and yet each game takes almost an hour, so when you are learning, it's often "well, I was teying my nest but didn't understand how to capitalize on my character's strengths, so now we're gonna lose 40 minutes from now"

I'd put it closer to 20-25 in most cases, though time can vary a good amount depending on the map and quality of the teams.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Revelator also introduced a Stylish control scheme that autocombos hit confirms so you can learn your character more smoothly

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

e: whoops, forums ate my post.

I was asking "Cindy boob controversy?"

and then I went on about how FF Type Zero looks like fun and if I ever get a chance to play it, I'm gonna have fun experimenting with all of the different weapon styles

i keep asking, getting answered, and then forgetting over the period of a couple years, but does type zero have more than one ending? or like a "true ending" type thing where you gotta play through it again to see?

corn in the bible posted:

how are those trails of cold steel games, and should i play them on my pstv because i dont wanna have to find my dualshock 3 and ps3 wherever th ehell it is

to offer my lovely perspective of them:

they're good games, like objectively, and i kind of like them, but for me now they're a little too plodding to be my thing anymore. i feel like they came out a decade too late for me and i woulda been all over them ten years ago. i kinda think of them as a more closed-ended growlanser.

the combat is really slow--not as bad as ff9 panning to hide loading slow; more of a harvest moon 64 slow animations by design slow--and i think someone here who knows how would direct you to like a guide on how to use cheatengine to double the framerate in battle.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 27, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In Training posted:

Quite a lot. This is nice timing, here's a friendly exhibition of some of the best NA players that just started and will probably include the entire cast https://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

Thanks, I'll check it out for a bit, even though today has been a lot of watching fighting games -- I was watching the Combo Breaker Injustice 2 matches earlier and ELeague Street Fighter V is on right now too

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Rev 2 asks me to suspend too much belief because you cannot properly wield Japanese steel with one arm. A glaring flaw in an otherwise perfect game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You only get one lootbox a day so Injustice has it beat in that category

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Also it is a constant and painful reminder that Elphelt is not my real wife.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Persona 4 golden is good - me, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's kind of hard to tell what's going on. I guess I need iconic characters in my fighting games to ground myself.

I'm excited for Tekken 7 mainly because I know who Heihachi, Nina, and Akuma are

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

I've been kind of learning elphelt in the run up to Rev2 and it's comical how easy it is her to just poo poo out damage with like 3 buttons.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

I thought Ramlethal was supposed to be the popular waifu?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's kind of hard to tell what's going on. I guess I need iconic characters in my fighting games to ground myself.

I'm excited for Tekken 7 mainly because I know who Heihachi, Nina, and Akuma are

Yeah its definitely more visual overwhelming that other games. Most of the characters in Xrd have more movesets than like...the entire cast of SFV combined.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Grapplejack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20uvHKENOUs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Grapplejack posted:

People fall in love.

SOME NEVER GET OUT

JUDGE BETTER HALF

• Locked thread