Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Question: to make the comparisons closer, do you think I could just replace ChefSteps' spice rub with Meatheads's spice rub in the sous vide ribs?

Yeah and piss everyone off by using a teaspoon of pink salt in 6 pounds of ribs, most of which will stay in the bag, even though you might use two teaspoons of it for 5 pounds of bacon and that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Haha that's actually part of the reason why I'm doing this

edit: reposting for new page:

On memorial day, I'm going to be doing a side-by-side of sous vide ribs and smoker ribs.

For the smoker ribs, I'm looking at Meathead's Last Meal Ribs:
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html
Here's his rub:

quote:

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup American paprika
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder

For the sous vide ribs I was looking at ChefSteps' Smokerless smoked ribs:
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/smokerless-smoked-ribs-incredible-barbecue-no-smoker-required
Rub:

quote:

100g Paprika
50g Yellow mustard seed
30g Garlic flake
25g Black pepper
10g Onion flake
10g Cumin
200g Brown sugar
(It also uses liquid smoke separately as a marinade.)

Question: to make the comparisons closer, do you think I could just replace ChefSteps' spice rub with Meatheads's spice rub in the sous vide ribs?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 25, 2017

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

sterster posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. As for loosing a bunch of moister, I haven't found that to be the case. Maybe just on the outside where the bark builds up. I've also had someone who regularly smoke try some of both the brisket and the pulled pork both of which he said were on par with something he would make both in texture and moisture. Salt in the rub during SV helps the meat retain some of the moisture.

That's my point. You're losing out on the unique characteristics of SV when you smoke it after for that long. What's the point of SVing first if you end up with something on with with a traditionally smoked result?

The difference between the 140 SV finished ribs coming out of the water, and the resulting ribs after smoking for 3 hours is the same difference as a medium steak and a well done steak. Embrace the 140 SV characteristics. Don't smoke them back above that temp.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

That's my point. You're losing out on the unique characteristics of SV when you smoke it after for that long. What's the point of SVing first if you end up with something on with with a traditionally smoked result?

The difference between the 140 SV finished ribs coming out of the water, and the resulting ribs after smoking for 3 hours is the same difference as a medium steak and a well done steak. Embrace the 140 SV characteristics. Don't smoke them back above that temp.

no, the break down on a pure smoke still requires you to get past a plateau which SV avoids entirely.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Sure, but you're getting past the stall turning collagen into gelatin either way. You accomplish the same results, connective tissue broken down, meat cooked to above 160f (well done), just using different methods, so what's the point? I guess if someone only wants to have to smoke the ribs for 2-3 hours, instead of 5, and are willing to SV them for 24 hours first to accomplish that, okay, but it just seems like a wasted opportunity.

If you're going to the trouble of using 2 different cooking mediums, embrace the benefit of the SV and don't smoke the meat above 140f IMO.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I don't like ribs enough to spend over a day cooking one rack. Sounds like you're playing yourself.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Sure, but you're getting past the stall turning collagen into gelatin either way. You accomplish the same results, connective tissue broken down, meat cooked to above 160f (well done), just using different methods, so what's the point? I guess if someone only wants to have to smoke the ribs for 2-3 hours, instead of 5, and are willing to SV them for 24 hours first to accomplish that, okay, but it just seems like a wasted opportunity.

If you're going to the trouble of using 2 different cooking mediums, embrace the benefit of the SV and don't smoke the meat above 140f IMO.

160 is less than 180+ so even well done there's benefit. For layman's presentation you'd want 160 regardless (referencing the pink/red SV chicken people freak out about.) I agree 2-3 hours is likely better than 5, but until you're going past plateau temps there'll be different results.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

quote:

Does meat stop taking on smoke?

There is a popular myth that at some point the meat stops taking on smoke. Sorry, but meat does not have doors that it shuts at some time during a cook. There is a lot of smoke moving through the cooking chamber although sometimes it is not very visible. If the surface is cold or wet, more of it sticks. Usually, late in the cook, the bark gets pretty warm and dry, and by then the coals are not producing a lot of smoke. Smoke bounces off warm dry surfaces so we are fooled into thinking the meat is somehow saturated with smoke. Throw on a log and baste the meat and it will start taking on smoke again. Just don't baste so often that you wash off the smoke and rub.

I love this. "It's a myth that meat takes on smoke more earlier in the process. What actually happens is that the meat is in better condition (colder and wetter) earlier in the process to take on smoke than later."

E: I want to smoke some this weekend, and I've done a variety of things but I need to do something < 8 hours. I probably do a couple racks of ribs, and I was thinking some chickens. Anyone else have some good ideas that don't take butt-levels of time commitment?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

SoftNum posted:

E: I want to smoke some this weekend, and I've done a variety of things but I need to do something < 8 hours. I probably do a couple racks of ribs, and I was thinking some chickens. Anyone else have some good ideas that don't take butt-levels of time commitment?
ducks

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Doom rooster, I'm smoking for 3 hours at 180F where it won't go above 150, so I don't expect to lose the benefits of sv. Further, meat texture isn't just about getting it to a certain temp, how long it takes to get there matters. I can do a stable 225 easy on my bge but I can't do 140 without micromanagement, tricks and luck. 180f for 3 hours is enough for me.

So yeah, it's cause it's easier to do 24HR at 140f with sv than a smoker.

Edit: also, I sv a large batch, then fridge and smoke as I need them over the weekend. Like this weekend I have an event each day to bring them to. It's just easier.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 26, 2017

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

It's one of the UK's three warm pure sunshine days, which I managed to get last minute off work purely to get sunburnt, cook BBQ and drink beer.

Unfortunately the UK's largest supermarket, Tesco, now only sells precooked re-refrigerated ribs, brisket and pork shoulder. It's shite.

Couldn't be arsed to go anywhere proper like a butcher or better supermarket, but I did spot lamb ribs. I don't think I've ever cooked them low and slow on the pit before, so decided to give them a go. Lamb ribs are pretty small, so bought some fake Wagyu burgers to cook in the meanwhile..

The burgs filled us up, so the lamb ribs were reheated in the evening. Gotta say they are very nice especially with homemade lamb sauce - so many different flavours and textures. The connective tissue and fat stood out, lean meat tasted like tender lamb chops.

Anyway, here's the cook which took about 4 hours plus 30 mins reheat but some of that time the lid was open to cook the burgs semi-hot and fast.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

SoftNum posted:

tri tip. marinade the sucker and smoke it until rare, and then finish it on the grill.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What the gently caress is going on with that burger to bun ratio

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I've done a sous-vide/smoker combo for pulled pork in the past where it needs to be served on a weeknight, and I work Mon-Fri. I have sous-vided 20lbs of pork shoulder for 21 hours at 165 and then I get home and smoke them for 2-3 hours (until it hits 203 internal) and then serve that night. The end result is still incredible.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
So I can buy whole loins of pork for $1.99/lb here but pork shoulders are $2.99/lb. loving pulled pork popularity.

Whole pork legs are $1.00/lb. Has anyone smoked a whole leg? I assume you'd treat it like a shoulder.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I've been looking everywhere for pork shank. Where did you find whole legs?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Bottom Liner posted:

What the gently caress is going on with that burger to bun ratio

Bun selection was crap, large baps was all they had. It compressed down nicely all the same.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Obtained 20lbs of beef short ribs at the super duper slc costco yesterday. $3.29lb bone in, rather than the $6.99lb boneless. Also grabbed a very nice fatty brisket flat. Truly feels like the section on the point end minus the giant piece of fat usually left there.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I made some loving bacon for the first time.
I was very careful in doing so despite the butcher giving me more meat than I ordered, and so this is the first of two batches.

Maple is boring, so I used molasses and black pepper instead, then smoked it in cherry wood.

I just wish I had a deli slicer.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Big Beef City posted:

I made some loving bacon for the first time.
I was very careful in doing so despite the butcher giving me more meat than I ordered, and so this is the first of two batches.

Maple is boring, so I used molasses and black pepper instead, then smoked it in cherry wood.

I just wish I had a deli slicer.

looks good dude!

Bring it to a deli after its cooled and ask them to slice it for you, and offer a bit of it as payment.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Cimber posted:

looks good dude!

Bring it to a deli after its cooled and ask them to slice it for you, and offer a bit of it as payment.

Does look good.

But never mind slicing. Just cook it up and gnaw on it like a beast.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

No problem. YOu don't want to keep opening the lid on the smoker if you can at all help it, so the remote probes really help. Make sure you practice tomorrow, you don't want to be learning the smoker while having actual meat on the grill, its a quick way to get bad food.

I ended up having today to start my first experiment with the smoker. It's currently in progress, avoid 30 minutes in, and I'm doing a bit of a dance with the temperature. I used too much charcoal initially, now I'm having a hard time getting the temp down below 260 consistently. I figured nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I made a rub and put it on a whole chicken to smoke, against the recommendation here. If it turns out terribly, we'll go out for dinner, otherwise I may as well get something edible out of the material and time. My smoke looks a thick blue, so I think I'm at least getting something right so far.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Lawnie posted:

I ended up having today to start my first experiment with the smoker. It's currently in progress, avoid 30 minutes in, and I'm doing a bit of a dance with the temperature. I used too much charcoal initially, now I'm having a hard time getting the temp down below 260 consistently. I figured nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I made a rub and put it on a whole chicken to smoke, against the recommendation here. If it turns out terribly, we'll go out for dinner, otherwise I may as well get something edible out of the material and time. My smoke looks a thick blue, so I think I'm at least getting something right so far.

Nothing wrong with whole chicken. Spatchcocking it or cutting in half makes things a bit faster and easier, but you'll get there eventually. The chickens I've smoked have had amazing dark meat and tough, dry breasts so next time I do one I'll try injecting with creole butter or whatever in hopes of improving that. With chicken, it doesn't hurt to allow it to get a bit hotter as well. I've seen 275f recommended and higher at the end to crisp the skin.

Chicken is a great early smoke, IMHO. Fast, easy, low cost. Heck, I bought two whole chickens for $0.67 a pound last week.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Nothing wrong with whole chicken. Spatchcocking it or cutting in half makes things a bit faster and easier, but you'll get there eventually. The chickens I've smoked have had amazing dark meat and tough, dry breasts so next time I do one I'll try injecting with creole butter or whatever in hopes of improving that. With chicken, it doesn't hurt to allow it to get a bit hotter as well. I've seen 275f recommended and higher at the end to crisp the skin.

Chicken is a great early smoke, IMHO. Fast, easy, low cost. Heck, I bought two whole chickens for $0.67 a pound last week.

Same price for this chicken, and I've been a spatchcock convert for several months now. I didn't think to inject with anything, but that's a good idea for next time. I cook a lot of chicken so it will be cool to have another method up my sleeve.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
A quick pre-smoke smoke brine question. Last time I did chicken thighs they were in the brine (20:1 water salt ratio) overnight for about 12 hours total and ended up too salty. What's the sweet spot I'm looking for and is there a good way to calculate time based on weight?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well poo poo. Weather forecasts in my area are calling for rain on Memorial Day and pretty much the whole week after. Based on that, I may have to either postpone my smoking plans until the following week, or do it tomorrow and pray to god it doesn't rain then too (which the forecasts say it will). :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why can't you smoke when it's raining? It's literally set it and forget it until you need to either take it off or add more fuel or mop it every few hours or whatever

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I just found out Char Griller sells the smoker boxes that bolt to my grill. What's different about using an offset smoker box? I guess the smoke still carries the heat?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

sellouts posted:

Why can't you smoke when it's raining? It's literally set it and forget it until you need to either take it off or add more fuel or mop it every few hours or whatever

My smoker is electric, and I don't have anything to shield it from the rain.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

My smoker is electric, and I don't have anything to shield it from the rain.

If you're using a MES, it works fine in the rain, I've done it before. I just made a piece of foil into a tent to partially cover up the vent on the top and my ribs turned out perfect.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

DiggityDoink posted:

If you're using a MES, it works fine in the rain, I've done it before. I just made a piece of foil into a tent to partially cover up the vent on the top and my ribs turned out perfect.

I am using an MES, but I don't know if I feel safe doing that. I'm also using the cold smoker attachment to generate smoke, which is also electric, and I don't know how well that's going to work in the rain.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I am using an MES, but I don't know if I feel safe doing that. I'm also using the cold smoker attachment to generate smoke, which is also electric, and I don't know how well that's going to work in the rain.

I wouldn't feel safe either. Do you have a place you could hang a small tarp up?

This is what did to get through this terrible Seattle spring:

Worked like a charm. Granted, having a deck situation like this isn't common.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 28, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I wouldn't feel safe either. Do you have a place you could hang a small tarp up?

This is what did to get through this terrible Seattle spring:

Worked like a charm. Granted, having a deck situation like this isn't common.

I can't set up a tarp over my balcony, no.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What about a small table on risers

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
I put a plastic tub over the controller on top of my MES in the rain and it's been fine for the last year.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Anne Whateley posted:

I've been looking everywhere for pork shank. Where did you find whole legs?

The local Italian grocery store with an enormous butcher shop in the back has them.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
What about a small portable force field generator

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Depends on what kind of save roll you want to get out of it. You don't want to be on the last leg of your 10-hour cook just to botch a 5+ roll because you were too cheap for a good model blessed by the techseers over at Home Depot

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
5lb slab of beef "short" ribs, 1/4 of the pack from Costco. Woooostershire slathered and salt/peppered. 4 hours smoked hickory at 225-250F, and pictured just before putting together with the reduced red wine braise (wine, chicken stock because I didn't have beef), a shallot and a clove of garlic, foiled and 3 more hours at 225-250F, then plan to chuck back onto the grate for some crisp.

First attempt and will be modifying based on results. Shows promise so far!

@ $3.29lb, I am loving stoked.

Edit: Came out very nicely. Tender and slide off the bone. However flavor was lacking a little. May modify, marinate or dry rub overnight. I am hesitant to separate the ribs from each other.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Lawnie posted:

I had that exact same grill and side fire box. It was my first. A couple things:

1) Don't get discouraged by it. Meaning it is drat near impossible to just get a stable temp on it.
2) It is very inefficient. It eats charcoal like nobody's business.

And as for anyone cooking chickens, I hope to hell you are all making stock with the remains of the carcass. Given the cost of chicken stock in the store, it basically cuts the price of the chicken you paid for in half.

Edit: And just to add, if you are on the fence for a Insta-pot type electric pressure cooker, it makes great stock in about 90 minutes.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 30, 2017