Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the loss of meaning and purpose in the modern digital age is what's led to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myJA9BcgB6Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

loquacius posted:

I was a libertarian in 2004, but thank god I couldn't put it in practice because I was 17

2004 was the age of Ron Paul online wasn't it? god that was awful

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

logikv9 posted:

I had the good sense to hate Ron Paul, thank God once more

I think it was because he was running as a Republican and I was really wary of the whole scene being coopted by GOP hucksters, y'know, like what eventually happened

also I think Ron Paul '08 was the height of Ron Paul fever but I might be remembering wrong

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i definitely think 08 was peak ron paul because he was the outlet for people who hated bush but also were racist so they couldnt go to obama like everyone else

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
yeah 2008 was the year of Pron Haul and dudes calling mass death from radical deregulation "market adjustments"

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
huh. there was definitely some ron paul stuff around 2004 though, at the very least 2004-2008 although that's a given

i faintly remember some posters on some old forums i used to frequent had the ron paul signatures and shared stupid videos and everything. i found it incredibly annoying and hilarious

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was p. dumb in '08. I voted Clinton in the primary :laffo:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i dont think he was in the national spotlight before the 08 primary, but maybe by 04 he was like the one gop iraq war critic? or maybe he was known for wanting to leagalize it, but either way it wasnt the same kind of cult it became in 07-08

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ron Paul's anti-interventionism during the primaries was very refreshing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
2004-2006 was the era of lolbertarianism and puppy avatars in D&D, so Ron Paul was definitely a thing. The Iraq War was going poorly, so all the conservative posters suddenly found Jesus von Mises and decided they hated war and loved markets.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
itd be cool if hillary clinton started some cool childrens charities and worked on empowering women in leadership positions (bc having a top down and a bottom up approach is good imo) and not ever talk about politics ever again

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Frijolero posted:

I was p. dumb in '08. I voted Clinton in the primary :laffo:

I still lol every time I remember she got more votes in that primary and lost that one too lmao

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
2007-2008 was the golden era of fake posting as a libertarian on D&D. LF was so loving good.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anime was right posted:

itd be cool if hillary clinton started some cool childrens charities and worked on empowering women in leadership positions (bc having a top down and a bottom up approach is good imo) and not ever talk about politics ever again

it'd be cool if she just fuckin' nailed herself to the loving cross in front of the capitol building and then bled out and loving died for berniebro sins

then I can get Traister 420:69 tattooed around my rear end in a top hat, "and I beat both of them"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

logikv9 posted:

2006-ish

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

logikv9 posted:

lol if you weren't a deanbro

Kucinich, yo.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Lemming posted:

I still lol every time I remember she got more votes in that primary and lost that one too lmao

She only got more votes because she threw a fit and demanded that Michigan and Florida where Obama wasn't on the ballot get reinstated after she was mathematically eliminated.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

anime was right posted:

how does any of that get hillary rodham clinton more power/money tho

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

She only got more votes because she threw a fit and demanded that Michigan and Florida where Obama wasn't on the ballot get reinstated after she was mathematically eliminated.

I don't mean to imply she deserved to win, I just like the symmetry. I find it poetic

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
"I want to get more votes in the primary, then more votes in the general election"

A gnarled finger on the paw curls

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quoting genius itt so that it may not be forgotten so soon

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

mormonpartyboat posted:

(((gringotts)))

:golfclap:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Frijolero posted:

#RESIST

Seriously though, what is the point of these articles?

if the guy really cared that much he'd start shooting anyone in his way

its the same reason things like "war on poverty" are a joke, politicians arent deploying the national guard to arrest bankers or forcing low controlled rent, etc.

it's pretty hard to grow up in such a hypocritical society and not go insane

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

logikv9 posted:

i faintly remember some posters on some old forums i used to frequent had the ron paul signatures and shared stupid videos and everything. i found it incredibly annoying and hilarious

D&D was a difficult place back then, yes.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

quoting genius itt so that it may not be forgotten so soon

yeah that post was really good

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 04:53 on May 27, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Joementum posted:

rebecca's back on her bullshit

oh a millionare boomer is fine? that makes me so happy while i toil away at my minimum wage job!

Bip Roberts posted:

haha i forgot all about that poo poo

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

PRON HAUL 2008 1 2 3 4 5 6 7...Last

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUk94yxJ1Us

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
do people still google ron paul

is that still a thing

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wait why wasn't obama on the ballot in michigan and florida and how did he win if that was the case. it wasn't that much of a blowout in every other state

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
john galt
ron paul
theres a pattern here

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

deadgoon posted:

is that still a thing

im pretty sure that audience has sworn off of ((((google))))

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Shear Modulus posted:

wait why wasn't obama on the ballot in michigan and florida and how did he win if that was the case. it wasn't that much of a blowout in every other state

the story is:

michigan and florida moved up their primaries in violation of dnc rules
as a result, the dnc automatically stripped them of all delegates. all of the candidates agreed not to campaign in those states. they all withdrew their names from the ballots, except for hillary.
hillary therefore won a shitload of delegates (she might have won both of those states anyway though, but obviously not by as much)
she then demanded the delegates get seated, arguing that it was unfair to disenfranchise voters because of something that was beyond their control

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 05:07 on May 27, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Concerned Citizen posted:

the story is:

as a result, the dnc automatically stripped them of all delegates. all of the candidates agreed not to campaign in those states. they all withdrew their names from the ballots, except for hillary.
hillary therefore won a shitload of delegates (she might have won both of those states anyway though, but obviously not by as much)
she then demanded the delegates get seated, arguing that it was unfair to disenfranchise voters in those states that they'd lose their vote because of something that was beyond their control

lol i had forgotten all about this poo poo

the presidential primaries are so goddamn terrible

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the story is:

she then demanded the delegates get seated, arguing that it was unfair to disenfranchise voters because of something that was beyond their control

pure politics from a pure politician

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

deadgoon posted:

is that still a thing

i Google Ron Paul daily

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

wow people desperately want to have someone represent them who actually wants to represent them instead of wrestle with the 8000 intricacies of the system and strangle their rivals to death -- politically, of course

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

the story is:

lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

so losing elections by how the rules are written and not actually winning but still claiming you actually won is more or less hillary's MO (and trickles down to the super devotees like traister)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
even if they had fully seated those two states, hillary would have lost due to all the caucus state blowouts. if she had done enough to get a pledged delegate majority including those states, i am very certain she would have taken the fight to the convention and try to win by having the rules committee seat those states delegations

• Locked thread