Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Len posted:

Yeah I've never understood realm grinder. It gets a lot of love over in the incremental game thread and I just don't get it because unless I'm missing something it's just adventure capitalist with a shitload of different skins

That's all idle clickers. But for those of us who have a problem and play idle clickers, Realm Grinder is relatively deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Our magikarp are more like tragikarp.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Any game​ tips? I just got my derp to evolve and am quickly getting back to lvl 1000 again. I'll probably idle to that when I next check it...

Sure, but bear in mind that I'm still relatively new to the game myself.

- Set your angels to only promote objectively better (green on all four stats) Derps. You do this by clicking the little mutation button between the two breeding Derps, which took me a while to figure out.

- When it comes to using mutation points (the sphereoid color ball thing), I tend towards Freaky (improved swing numbers for new Derps) and Breeding (breeding speed), but generally its been a whatever-I-can-afford situation. I've avoided Recon and Boosted, because I'm usually kicking rear end in combat and I don't use active abilities too often.

- Every once in a while, there's nothing wrong with cleaning house (the three-skull button on each building pane) and repopulating all of them. This is especially true when you've come back after a decent amount of idle time, your breeding pair is significantly higher-gen than your workers.

- You can totally get away with not buying any premium currency. Generally, I used the amount I'd get for achievements to speed up the Angel (promoting better Derps) and Reaper (auto-sacrificing worse Derps), and expanding the time I could be away from the game.

- If you're willing to drop money on the game, the five-dollar starter pack will give you puh-lenty of Slurpies (the premium currency) to really improve the above things (and other things) comfortably enough that you'll never (IMO) need to buy any more. I was lucky to have a bunch of store credit, so for me it was a dollar affair.

- Do not use Slurpies to open up population slots, as they reset when you get a better alien. You'll be generally swimming in basic currency.

- If you have random Slurpies and want to use some for potions, use the Gene Genie (green, heart next to it) potion. Basically, it makes the next 30 Derps bred to be leagues better than you currently have, each time. Promote each new Derp into the breeding pair, then when the next Derp (which is better), promote that, and send the first Derp to a building. 30 derps means you'll be able to completely update all your buildings to be packed with holy-poo poo-way-better Derps.

- Set every panel's sorting (bottom-right on the panel) to Stats, Ascending. That way the best Derps are always off-screen to the right, whereas the most-needing-replacement will be on the left.

- Once you evolve a few times (I'm in Jigglies, the smuggest monsters I've seen in a video game), don't be confused or scared if you initially breed monsters with 0 stats. Because the stat range is -X to +X, it's possible for your initial breeding to be flat-out 0 at something.

- There's no hard and fast rule on this, but try to keep your Angel/Reaper times equal to your breeding time, if you can. Keep your base-level population limits (the left-most one, not the factory/army/research) high enough that there's never a bottleneck.

I'll add more if I remember to.

quote:

How do you deal with wack a mole candy and time boost?

I don't bother with doing the wack-a-mole thing. Like I said above, I tended to just spend some Slushies on improving the amount of time the game notice I'm gone.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The Magikarp minigame event with the glittery water thing has burned me every time. Five burns! It is a trap that eats JP.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's all idle clickers. But for those of us who have a problem and play idle clickers, Realm Grinder is relatively deep.

Then some tips would be appreciated

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Dodoman posted:

Then some tips would be appreciated

This covers most everything in the early game:
http://www.kongregate.com/forums/8945-realm-grinder/topics/643873

That will take you to about where this will make sense:
https://www.kongregate.com/forums/8945-realm-grinder/topics/598227-guide-optimized-gem-grinding-2-11-2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The thing that has always kept Realm Grinder from being a play-all-the-time game for me is that all the guides don't seem to correspond with what I'm doing. Nobody talks about the Faceless, for example, but for the bulk of my time playing the only way I could consistently progress through the game is through Faceless.

RG is deeper than most clickers, sure, but it's always felt fundamentally opaque, to the point where it almost feels like work.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Have any of you played interstellar pilot? It's basically a mobile X3, it's insane.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Dely Apple posted:

The Magikarp minigame event with the glittery water thing has burned me every time. Five burns! It is a trap that eats JP.

I got 8 gems from it once and now my gem total is going to be an awkward number, forever

Even when you win, you still lose :(

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

EzEight posted:

1. King of Dragon Pass
2. Day R
3. Fate Grand Order
Wow, thanks for mentioning Day R, it's awesome.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Man, this Magikarp Jump reminds me of Survive! Mola mola! in a lot of ways.

Edit: holy poo poo the same developer designed it, that explains things

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

datajosh posted:

Okay you just sold me on the game with this information, Mola mola! was hilarious.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

The art style is the same as another game I played by them, Hunt Cook, which I only just realized because of your post

That game was pretty fun for a minute, in the same do basically nothing way that Magikarp splash is

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Veib posted:

Okay you just sold me on the game with this information, Mola mola! was hilarious.

:same:

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

RBA Starblade posted:

Have any of you played interstellar pilot? It's basically a mobile X3, it's insane.

Whoa. I think I'm gonna like this. I hope there's a VR mode planned at some point.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Do you guys properly close games with​ the back button or just hit the home button and be done with it?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Depends on how lovely the game is designed. Some don't properly sleep, so you need to swipe them out of app switcher. Games are about the only thing you should do that on.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I don't think it's been talked about, but I found Slurpy Derpy today and I'm really digging it as a timewaster game.

The synopsis:

Basically, you always have two Derps, who breed other Derps. At first, you use whatever offspring are made to populate your buildings, which provide you with currency/research/armies. While doing that, you're always replacing your breeding Derps with offspring that are better-statted, which provides better offspring to populate your buildings, continually repeating the process. I wouldn't call it an idler, it's actually pretty fun to continually be juggling where the newest Derp should be allocated.

One thing that really sticks out at me that I like is the ease in which I can do some things that I didn't expect to be so easy. For example, you eventually get the ability to automate the replacement of new offspring to be one of your breeding Derps. Specifically, you can adjust to what makes the determination if a new Derp becomes one of the breeding pair: either just better in one stat, or if they must be Objectively better in all stats. Want to purge an entire building of gen-40s and repopulate it with fresh gen-60s? There's a button for that. It's the little things that I find myself appreciating.

IAP seems to be contained to making things faster, and I've found I can get a decent amount of it just by completing in-game milestones.

This is pretty neat so far

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there a goon presence in it.?

emormu
Jan 16, 2012

datajosh posted:

They don't have educational Magikarp facts they way they do with molas however.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Interstellar Pilot is a trick. It seems really cool and detailed, but has almost no depth whatsoever, and pretty terrible combat and controls.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

coyo7e posted:

Wow, thanks for mentioning Day R, it's awesome.

Well me and my wife are now addicted to this sad Russian life simulator

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Interstellar Pilot is a trick. It seems really cool and detailed, but has almost no depth whatsoever, and pretty terrible combat and controls.

I didn't play it too much but the controls seemed alright for what it is. I didn't do much combat though.

I went to NY and I mostly played Knights of Pen and Paper 2 instead though. It's free now apparently! And pretty good.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

Drunk Tomato posted:

Well me and my wife are now addicted to this sad Russian life simulator

Yeah is insanely addicting and you have the whole of russia to explore.

Starter tip save all your canned meats, condensed milk and pasta.

Once cooked these are super food. Also keep in mind you can hunt for food so there is no rush to scavenge from one city to another take your time and have fun.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

DemonMage posted:

Depends on how lovely the game is designed. Some don't properly sleep, so you need to swipe them out of app switcher. Games are about the only thing you should do that on.

Sadly, Slurpy Derp seems to suffer from this.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

EzEight posted:

Yeah is insanely addicting and you have the whole of russia to explore.

Starter tip save all your canned meats, condensed milk and pasta.

Once cooked these are super food. Also keep in mind you can hunt for food so there is no rush to scavenge from one city to another take your time and have fun.
Is canned pork useful? I never noticed a recipe. Fishing with rotten food is where it's at though, just bring a few molotovs for the catfish.

I tried playing online but the hunger thirst and radiation are so bad it's not very fun. I survived for a few weeks but it's pretty much just a mad dash for food skipping searching whenever possible.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

coyo7e posted:

Is canned pork useful? I never noticed a recipe. Fishing with rotten food is where it's at though, just bring a few molotovs for the catfish.

I forgot what thread I was in and ohhhh boy I was pretty loving confused when I read this.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
One other tip for Day R: you can save up to three characters+games if you go to menu->profiles.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Incessant Excess posted:

Do you guys properly close games with the back button or just hit the home button and be done with it?

this is a cargo-cult legend about how android works and does not correspond to reality: you cannot "properly" close an app by doing some magical incantation of button presses. while it is true that some apps behave differently depending on how they were put into the background, this is because they are poorly made and do not follow google's code/design guidelines. it has nothing to do with some secret voodoo that you the user did, and the world will be a better place if and when people stop spreading tech superstitions like this

also, my top android game of all time is Alcazar. if you enjoy the free puzzles it's absolutely worth the price to unlock everything

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 31, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well if you want to 'properly' close an app you need to Force Stop it, that's the only way to intentionally end the process. Swiping away does make it more likely the system will kill it when it needs the memory though

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

coyo7e posted:

I tried playing online but the hunger thirst and radiation are so bad it's not very fun. I survived for a few weeks but it's pretty much just a mad dash for food skipping searching whenever possible.

I've never bothered with online. Heard a ton of bad stuff such as ban happy mods.

Canned pork aren't really used in recipies. Early game they are useful as you lack he necessary tools and time to efficiently scavenge and travel until you get the bike and cart. Just use them when you don't feel like hunting.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

Well if you want to 'properly' close an app you need to Force Stop it, that's the only way to intentionally end the process. Swiping away does make it more likely the system will kill it when it needs the memory though
Well, swiping it away kills the Activity (the actual foreground visible screen part of the app) immediately but background services are up to the OS.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Day R felt repetitive after a few hours. The wiki talks about one quest that takes about 20 hours of resource grinding to complete. I uninstalled it.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

Montalvo posted:

Day R felt repetitive after a few hours. The wiki talks about one quest that takes about 20 hours of resource grinding to complete. I uninstalled it.

Thats the weakest point of the game. There is no story but if you need to kill time its the best choice with the resource management

khy
Aug 15, 2005

baka kaba posted:

I don't know if it's my phone or what but anytime I want to close an app I just hold down the home button for 5 seconds and it goes to a basic alt-tab/task manager type interface where I can scroll through my open apps, and either switch to them or close them. It seems to be as effective at closing as force stopping from the app menu. It's possible it's not entirely closing them but if so there's no indication of it.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Does anyone have recommendations for good kind of light android 4x games?

Basically, I've been playing battle for polytopia and have found myself wishing that it lasted longer/had more options for trading, culture victory etc. From googling around, it looks like Civ Revolution might be a good option, although it looks like it's gotten somewhat mixed reviews.

I'd kind of rather not have it be in space, although if the best options are all set there I'm down to try it.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

foutre posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for good kind of light android 4x games?

Basically, I've been playing battle for polytopia and have found myself wishing that it lasted longer/had more options for trading, culture victory etc. From googling around, it looks like Civ Revolution might be a good option, although it looks like it's gotten somewhat mixed reviews.

I'd kind of rather not have it be in space, although if the best options are all set there I'm down to try it.

For the love of God please someone have a good recommendation. I love Polytopia but it is so basic that spamming catapults is the answer in every scenario.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

After getting pretty addicted to Sherlock, which was mentioned recently in the thread, I've been looking for more good logic games. I did find Honeycomb Hotel, also made by Everett Kaser, but I'm curious if anyone has any other suggestions.

Something with programming logic would be cool, I think. Except Spacechem is way too much to try to display on a phone, from what I remember.

I've always liked puzzle games and that Sherlock game never got recommended by Google Play, so I'm just hoping that I'll get another great suggestion here, since Google Play has failed me. :)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chinook posted:

After getting pretty addicted to Sherlock, which was mentioned recently in the thread, I've been looking for more good logic games. I did find Honeycomb Hotel, also made by Everett Kaser, but I'm curious if anyone has any other suggestions.

Something with programming logic would be cool, I think. Except Spacechem is way too much to try to display on a phone, from what I remember.

I've always liked puzzle games and that Sherlock game never got recommended by Google Play, so I'm just hoping that I'll get another great suggestion here, since Google Play has failed me. :)

Is Sherlock an evolution of that old DOS game?

I kept a 100-In-One CD for years that had Doom ep1 and Sherlock.exe on it

Got more play out of Sherlock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Because everything needs to be distilled into a clicker theses days, there's a Crazy Taxi clicker out.

quote:

Features killer tracks by The Offspring, “All I Want”

Sold!