Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Blinks77 posted:

Could be worse, could be in a russian DD.

On the other hand, be in a sec spec Bismarck/Tirpitz. Laugh.

Grinding the Kiev, they are the bane of my existence. Honestly, since I left the game 18 months ago, it feels like DDs have really gotten the shaft. Between the removal of stealth firing, torpedo nerfs, and the addition of radar, it feels like they've added a bunch of anti-DD tools while giving them nothing. And now everyone plays BBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
This weekend feels extra bad. Maybe I am on the wrong end of variance

edit: half the ships don't even bother putting up camo

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

gotta love that daily double

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

MikeC posted:

This weekend feels extra bad.

Worst I've seen in a while.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The Taiho is loving stupid. The Shokaku was already really, really good, but now 150k damage games are starting to feel like "meh, mediocre". Last match, this happened two minutes into the game (sped up 50%). Don't turn away from torpedoes.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
This is a special weekend.

I had a 'friendly' Sims who sat behind BBs and fired torps into mine and another, then bitched about us running into his torps.

e: Oh and somehow we won thanks to heroic Akatsuki efforts at capping.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 27, 2017

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

"I'm sorry my son ate your shoes, he's a bit special."

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I dunno, this weekend has been pretty good to me so far.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Spent the week (really like 3 days out of it) powergrinding the Neptune while the Bismark event is going on, have unlocked and bought the Minotaur, retrained the captain, installed the upgrades, camo, etc, and took it out for a spin.

Trip report: :catstare:

Somebody give me 5000 doubloons for the perma-camouflage. I might never play anything else again.

This ship takes everything that makes RN cruisers cool and good and fun and removes all the limiters from it. The ship is bonkers and has to be used to be believed. If you have more than two brains cells kicking around in there, there's no excuse for doing badly in this short of a random unlucky detonation early on, and even then you should still be able to pile a couple 10's of thousands of damage before then.

It's still fundamentally an RN cruiser; there's nothing really new that you haven't experienced before, it just takes everything to the logical extreme.

VVV I never had that assumption actually.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 27, 2017

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Remember when everyone thought the rn cruisers were bad because ap only and floating citadels? Good times.

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

:allears:

In other news my weekend has been miserable :negative:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Timmy Horsey posted:

:allears:

In other news my weekend has been miserable :negative:

That sounds like a thing that could be helped by DIVISIONS.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

orange juche posted:

That move was less some noble ride and more a suicidal death charge that accidentally had 100% less suicide in it. Maiden is more appropriate.
I take it you haven't seen the movie, then? :v:

Nah, I know what you mean. Maiden works too.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

My "potato of the day" was a guy in a Iowa with a WTR under 700 bitching about bad teams - he promptly zerged towards a FdG, Bismarck, Missouri, and Donskoi and died. He then reported me "for botting" because I was hanging back in my Roon setting fires. Had top score on my team. He had lowest.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I did it. I won the loving Bismarck.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nordick posted:

I take it you haven't seen the movie, then? :v:

Nah, I know what you mean. Maiden works too.

It's been a long time since I've seen Starship Troopers, and they don't have it on Netflix.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
What is the best T8 DD (not Benson because I have a Fletcher). I have a Kagero which is *ok* but nothing special (although I have won 8 out of 9 games in it somehow). The Ognovoi looks interesting but its a lot of creds for something I have never played before. Is the Kiev basically the same now as before the split, but with 8km torps? I liked it at T7, not sure how it would fare vs Moskva, Zao and Hindenberg lasers though. The Minsk is very underwhelming mainly due to the turrets.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Got myself Henri IV.

Except it's weekend and pubbies are normally bad so I've been on losing streak. My average damage on Henri IV is about 85k, but win rate is at around 30% :smithicide:

Apart from a decent win above, I've been having 80~100k damage losses. And the xp Wargaming gives to Henri IV just sucks so much unless I do extremely well. Grinding captains with Tier 10 ship is such a bad idea.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

We dont need no stinking kills.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
This weekend is special.

Killed Myoko and Budyonny and Sims as loving Emile-Bertin, almost killed a Cleveland at point blank but had to dodge crossdrop torps and had him at 300 hp.

Didn't get off torps before explodes so they poofed. gently caress. Useless living BBs hid behind islands.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I unlocked Gearing last night and bought and outfitted it this morning. It's sluggish compared to the Fletcher, but that ROF and 16km torps. :staredog:

I was definitely on the winning side of the pubbie failteams today though. Some of the opponent's teams folded so fast.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 27, 2017

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

kaesarsosei posted:

The Ognovoi looks interesting but its a lot of creds for something I have never played before.

I liked it a lot better at tier 6.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Dear God I found someone considerably worse than WARBEASTY.

Today I had the pleasure of having JUGGALO_GUNNER on my team. Somehow he died in an Atago like 90 seconds into the match.

71 games in the Fujin, average damage 5,245 and an impressive 212 WTR

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
I don't know how to Podvoisky.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

kaesarsosei posted:

What is the best T8 DD (not Benson because I have a Fletcher). I have a Kagero which is *ok* but nothing special (although I have won 8 out of 9 games in it somehow). The Ognovoi looks interesting but its a lot of creds for something I have never played before. Is the Kiev basically the same now as before the split, but with 8km torps? I liked it at T7, not sure how it would fare vs Moskva, Zao and Hindenberg lasers though. The Minsk is very underwhelming mainly due to the turrets.

My personal rating for destroyers at tier 8 are Benson > Lo Yang > Akizuki > Kiev == Z-23 > Ognevoi > Kagero.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

kaesarsosei posted:

The Kiev is the Kiev, it's cool and good. I think it's actually better now than when it was a T7 but I don't have a lot of games in it.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Akizuki and Benson are very strong at T8. Kagero isn't as good as old Fubuki, bleh. The Kiev is decent, the Ognevoi feels bad, the Z-23 is a german DD so it depends on if you're good at videogames or not.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Just had my first 200,000 damage game. Minotaur confirmed for best cruiser.

Really funny holding 2 battleships and a cruiser in place on the other side of an island. Oh, you want to poke your nose around? 3000 damage, 3000 damage, 3000 damage, 2500 damage, 3000 damage. *Enemy ship backs up, repeats process 45 seconds later*

I love it when the opposing team are loving morons.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It's amazing what the difference between a team where the Bismarcks push(and are at least vaguely supported), and a team where the Bismarcks cower in the back sniping.

Finally ended the hiatus I've been on for a few months on Friday, and have had some decent and a bunch of terrible games since (especially since it's an exp weekend), but this one was pretty decent. One of their Bismarcks kinda sorta pushed, both the others hid in the back.

Shame I missed the High Caliber, but oh well. Absorbed plenty of damage for the team instead.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So, I figured out that the t-22 isn't as bad as it first seemed. And watching a video of flamuu with the z-52 suggests that the way I play the t-22 is how it pretty much plays to the end. Number 1, forget it has guns. They are pea shooters anyway. With CE and the top torps, there is a small window where you can stealth fire your torps. Play in that little window. Number 2, like guns of other ships, your torpedo launchers should always be on cooldown, they reload hilariously quick. Number 3, if you do have to use your guns, remember that it has the same german ap characteristics as the other ships. Lower on pen, but a bit higher on damage. And at only 100mm in size, overpen isn't going to happen much which means fun times. This also works against things like scharnhorst superstructure. Basically, treat them more like ijn dds. Except they have lower damage with the trade of firing more often. And more often gives you a great advantage on keeping the enemy weaving to dodge your fishes causing broadsides to your team.

Since switching out, I've found myself doing much better. Even in t7 matches.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So I completed the Bismarck campaign collection without ever purchasing a duplicate.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Saipans are a drat blight upon this earth and I hate them so much. The only time I ever come close to 'winning' against them is if I am running a fighter spec CV with piles of planes to throw down the toilet. Even when I am strafing everything ( including my own bait fighters :rip: ) they have an endless supply of lovely planes.

Sky hitlers, all of them

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Saipans are a drat blight upon this earth and I hate them so much. The only time I ever come close to 'winning' against them is if I am running a fighter spec CV with piles of planes to throw down the toilet. Even when I am strafing everything ( including my own bait fighters :rip: ) they have an endless supply of lovely planes.

Sky hitlers, all of them

On the other hand, hoods with defensive fire running can munch through both squads of torp bombers and they don't have that many in reserve.

az
Dec 2, 2005

hey dark remember how last night I tried to get my emile double and threw the game because I was tired? I just dragged my team to victory in a 175k game in it, dedicated to your memory :catstare:

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Sky hitlers, all of them

thats what you get for being a carrier yourself :colbert:
the saipan is hazing the cancer out of your body.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Carriers are good when I'm in a ship capable of shooting down their planes.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

El Disco posted:

Carriers are good when I'm in a ship capable of shooting down their planes.

For some inexplicable reason an Independence kept flying within 5km of my Atlanta on Friday. I thanked him for all the Free XP as I would shoot down his entire compliment of planes every time.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Boy....let me tell you how THIS game went

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

MikeC posted:

Boy....let me tell you how THIS game went

I'm guessing lots of battleships died stupidly and the Hakuryu carried?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I'm actually going to guess it was the Midway...IMO Essex's and Midway are loving brutal against BBs but struggle to deal with DDs which is why Taiho/Hakuryu is generally superior.

By that I mean that any Midway player worth his salt will have no problem flooding a BB and when it repairs they can get 3 fires very easy if not 4. Hakuryu can do it too but the fires are less reliable.

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

wdarkk posted:

I'm guessing lots of battleships died stupidly and the Hakuryu carried?

Both teams never came within 10km of each other. I was one of two ships to fire any secondaries. Lost to basecap after my team hid in a corner. Both our T10s ended with less than 500xp