Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

First watch through I didn't like the ending, but on the second watch I was like "wait, the ending is God did it, and they were outright stating right from the start that God did it, this is actually really clever".

And yeah the whole New Caprica thing is just incredible.

Same, watching it in all row instead of piecemeal over years with every tiny thing being dissected by the internet really helps too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Just got done catching up with the thread. Thanks for the earworm. :argh:

Hopefully this can clear it out for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVcAyEMM4Cc

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McSpanky posted:

Same, watching it in all row instead of piecemeal over years with every tiny thing being dissected by the internet really helps too.

I think Moore and Eick also kind of doomed themselves with their podcasts, where they were entirely too open about their creative process and then just started flat-out admitting that they were making it up as they went along. Sometimes it's good to be quiet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Timby posted:

I think Moore and Eick also kind of doomed themselves with their podcasts, where they were entirely too open about their creative process and then just started flat-out admitting that they were making it up as they went along. Sometimes it's good to be quiet.

This is only a problem for people who don't know that literally every writer makes it up as they go. That's how writing works. Even the most obsessive outliner writers change things along the way. In novels you get to go back and fix it before anyone else sees it, serial formats like TV don't have that luxury.

Babylon 5 is the only non-miniseries TV show I can think of that had a complete plan before being produced, due to the fact that it took JMS ten years to get anyone to make the thing, and even then if you read the plan it isn't that much like what they actually put on the air.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
BSG was a little shittier about that because they literally started every episode with "...and they have a plan." There was no plan, there was never a plan. Not even an outline.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Elementary, Dear Data now and it's incredible.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Also they made a movie about the cylon plan called "The Plan" and it was all about the complete lack of any plan.

:psylon:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

This is only a problem for people who don't know that literally every writer makes it up as they go. That's how writing works. Even the most obsessive outliner writers change things along the way. In novels you get to go back and fix it before anyone else sees it, serial formats like TV don't have that luxury.

Babylon 5 is the only non-miniseries TV show I can think of that had a complete plan before being produced, due to the fact that it took JMS ten years to get anyone to make the thing, and even then if you read the plan it isn't that much like what they actually put on the air.

There's a big difference between having a degree of flexibility and going full improv plot.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

They made a great show. If they'd had a plan it would have been a religious experience.

Wait...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tunicate posted:

There's a big difference between having a degree of flexibility and going full improv plot.

Not particularly. Wherever you fall on the outline to seat of the pants writing spectrum, the majority is made up on the fly and not at all what you expected it to be when you started writing. With TV you are seeing the process because it can't be edited. That results in plot holes and things not hanging together as well as you get in a novel or a miniseries.

If they had gone to Moore and crew and said okay, you guys have a guaranteed four years to make this show and a year to work it all out before we start filming, then it would have fit together better. Unfortunately that is not how TV works.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I saw someone post an analysis of BSG, which ended up having a comprehensive explanation of who became a cylon and when.

You just have to assume cylonism is a STD and it works out perfectly.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

Also they made a movie about the cylon plan called "The Plan" and it was all about the complete lack of any plan.

:psylon:

zoom in on the cock

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Casting specifics, per Nerdist.

http://nerdist.com/star-trek-discovery-complete-casting-breakdown/

Sonequa Martin-Green's character is named....Michael?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gonz posted:

Casting specifics, per Nerdist.

http://nerdist.com/star-trek-discovery-complete-casting-breakdown/

Sonequa Martin-Green's character is named....Michael?

Michael Michele is a relatively prominent actress...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe they'll bring back everyone being called Mister regardless of gender.

I quite liked that.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I've heard of streamlined watchthroughs of TNG and DS9 where you skip over the unnecessary tripe, but is there a way to watch Voyager that tells the general story while skipping all of the atrocious episodes and only keeping in some of them?

I know there's a few decent episodes in there somewhere.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm trying to find a way but most of them end with "...then turn it all off right there and pretend that's how the show ended"...

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

CommaToes posted:

I've heard of streamlined watchthroughs of TNG and DS9 where you skip over the unnecessary tripe, but is there a way to watch Voyager that tells the general story while skipping all of the atrocious episodes and only keeping in some of them?

It's a season seven episode, so it might spoil some things, but Shattered?

Orv
May 4, 2011

CommaToes posted:

I think three different people have tried this in the last month alone and the unanimous verdict was :barf: gently caress Voyager.

Unrelated, hey guys remember how transportation kills Trills? No, anybody, nobody?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Orv posted:

Unrelated, hey guys remember how transportation kills Trills? No, anybody, nobody?

I hate this episode because it's the closest TNG ever came to doing an actual soap opera episode. It's pure melodrama and it's just godawful. It reminds me of the early episode with Troi's arranged marriage. TNG does not do romance well, at all.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I hate this episode because it's the closest TNG ever came to doing an actual soap opera episode. It's pure melodrama and it's just godawful. It reminds me of the early episode with Troi's arranged marriage. TNG does not do romance well, at all.

Probably should have just let Patrick have a couple episodes about fuckin' and truckin'

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

gently caress you new people. Watch Voyager. We did it. Watch it all.

ALL
OF
IT

:kheldragar:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

THERE ARE SEVEN SEASONS

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

ALL
OF
IT

I've watched at all at least twice.

There is good stuff in there, but it's a slog to marathon in modern style because it's so samey and dull in a lot of places. It also has the highest stinker:great episode ratio by a country banjo-playing-alien mile.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

ALL
OF
IT

I didn't. I missed a lot of seasons 5-7 because I got so bored and sick of it. I only came back for the last part of season 7 to see them get home.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Orv posted:

I think three different people have tried this in the last month alone and the unanimous verdict was :barf: gently caress Voyager.

I'm one of them. Literally skipped to Endgame today because gently caress watching any more of this bullshit show.

Star Trek ended with DS9 and came back with JJTrek and that's all there is to it.

gently caress everything.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Watch that fun two part miniseries, Star Trek: Equinox.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I didn't. I missed a lot of seasons 5-7 because I got so bored and sick of it. I only came back for the last part of season 7 to see them get home.

you must experience bij

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I spoiled the end of Voyager earlier in this thread anyway. You don't need to watch it.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Orv posted:

They really should have renamed the species when they changed the makeup for DS9. Virtually nothing carries over from the TNG appearance - the original Trill was pretty clearly a parasite that completely took over the host, not a symbiotic joining, and are meant to be a weird species nobody knows much about, but Dax has apparently been hanging around Federation space for centuries.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hell, Dax banged McCoy when he was at Ole Miss.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Grand Fromage posted:

This is only a problem for people who don't know that literally every writer makes it up as they go. That's how writing works.

It is amazing that people do not realize this. WTF, that's some basic poo poo.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Fun fact: the first episode of Best of Both Worlds was written by a guy who thought he was leaving after its air date, so put zero consideration into how a second part would go down. Then he didn't leave, so he had to write his way out of the corner he had written himself into.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

That's actually not a bad way to write a cliffhanger, all things considered. Although it probably dooms you to a weak followup in much the same way.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Some time ago there was some talk about the TNG writers' cultural bubble; I've just finished The Higher Ground, and I can't believe they dropped 'the Irish reunification of 20whenever' into Data's mouth, while mentioning other 'successful' guerilla campaigns like Mexico's indepencence from Spain. What the gently caress?

Picard going into GET OFF MY BRIDGE mode and taking a swing at Bridge invaders was good, even though it happened for plot reasons. Maybe this was when Patrick Stewart was starting to grumble about wanting more action scenes?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

ALL
OF
IT

No way I remember being totally uninterested in it as a kid and then later finding out my intuition was justified and I don't have to watch it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

spincube posted:

Some time ago there was some talk about the TNG writers' cultural bubble; I've just finished The Higher Ground, and I can't believe they dropped 'the Irish reunification of 20whenever' into Data's mouth, while mentioning other 'successful' guerilla campaigns like Mexico's indepencence from Spain. What the gently caress?

Picard going into GET OFF MY BRIDGE mode and taking a swing at Bridge invaders was good, even though it happened for plot reasons. Maybe this was when Patrick Stewart was starting to grumble about wanting more action scenes?

Doesn't the US exist because of a successful guerilla campaign?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

spincube posted:

The background of Star Trek assumes a whole lot of poo poo going down in the late 20th century and the 21st century. That Irish Reunification occurs following the Eugenics Wars and just before World War III pops off.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Doesn't the US exist because of a successful guerilla campaign?

IRA bombs were still going off at the time that the episode was recorded and broadcast: I'd imagine a similar line today would be something about Islamic State resulting in peace in the Middle East and thus the formation of ECON.

[e] The terrorist who kidnaps Crusher compares himself favourably to George Washington, but I'm unsure whether that was to deliberately show him as your standard ends-justify-the-means type, or just poor writing :v:

SomeMathGuy posted:

The background of Star Trek assumes a whole lot of poo poo going down in the late 20th century and the 21st century. That Irish Reunification occurs following the Eugenics Wars and just before World War III pops off.

I thought the Eugenics Wars led directly to WW3? - Khaaaaaaan and the others were overthrown, humanity promptly started killing each other again, something something post-atomic horror, then the Borg show up to stop Zef Cochrane and Trek history begins.

spincube fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

spincube posted:

IRA bombs were still going off at the time that the episode was recorded and broadcast: I'd imagine a similar line today would be something about Islamic State resulting in peace in the Middle East and thus the formation of ECON.

I thought the Eugenics Wars led directly to WW3? - Khaaaaaaan and the others were overthrown, humanity promptly started killing each other again, something something post-atomic horror, then the Borg show up to stop Zef Cochrane and Trek history begins.

Nah there's like a twenty year reconstructive gap that results in massive wealth disparities leading to, like, riots and poo poo, per DS9 anyway.

You're right about the line being politically awkward, though, apparently it got the episode censored in the UK.

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 27, 2017