Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Oh dear me posted:

Where are you?

I'm in Cornwall and there's been amazing continuous lightning and hardly any noise at all.

Plymouth.

Now stood outside because the lightning removed a neighbours chimney and flew half the fuses. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The air feels like just before a tropical depression around here, but no actual storm. It's gone a bit cool, but the humidity is through the roof.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

It's heading east with the wrath of at least half a terrorist. Stay safe.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Ehh, I was lazy and bored.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ratjaculation posted:

It's heading east with the wrath of at least half a terrorist. Stay safe.

Im going to punch it

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Current lightning map

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ratjaculation posted:

Current lightning map

poo poo ACTIVATE TRIDENT NOWWWWW

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The sun is shining here in the Arctic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My national faraday cage idea is looking more sensible by the second.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Ratjaculation posted:

Current lightning map

There was a solar coronal mass ejection not too long ago, coupled with a coronal hole stream directed at earth. That storm is probably due to all that energy being input into the earth's atmosphere and focussing on that region because of the polarity differential between ground and upper atmosphere. you'll get a violent storm and a poo poo-ton of lightning both from the ground and the clouds. I wonder what it looks like above the clouds there? I'd love to see if there's a shitload of Sprites and Elves exchanging between the clouds and the ionosphere.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 27, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's about to hit Glastonbury

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Live music venues are a prime target atm

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ratjaculation posted:

Live music venues are a prime target atm

Jesus :stonkhat:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M36y6HaSM-8

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

2spooky4me

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Ratjaculation posted:

Current lightning map

"What are those bright flashes in the distance? They're far too frequent to be lightning"

loving hell

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

That isolationism is quite old, and part of the reason America was so slow to join the second world war.

I guess modern politics has somewhat skewed the perspective a bit if it seems surprising.

Also they were busy trading with Hitler's regime:

George Bush's grandfather, the late US senator Prescott Bush, was a director and shareholder of companies that profited from their involvement with the financial backers of Nazi Germany.

The Guardian has obtained confirmation from newly discovered files in the US National Archives that a firm of which Prescott Bush was a director was involved with the financial architects of Nazism.

His business dealings, which continued until his company's assets were seized in 1942 under the Trading with the Enemy Act

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/sep/25/usa.secondworldwar

Interesting that company, which I think was Brown Brothers, ended up being part of Brown Brothers Harriman, which ended up part of Kellog Brown and Root which ended up as part of Halliburton.

War profiteering in America has been going on for a while, destabilizing the world and making fat profits for the bastards at the top.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

JFairfax posted:

Also they were busy trading with Hitler's regime:

George Bush's grandfather, the late US senator Prescott Bush, was a director and shareholder of companies that profited from their involvement with the financial backers of Nazi Germany.

The Guardian has obtained confirmation from newly discovered files in the US National Archives that a firm of which Prescott Bush was a director was involved with the financial architects of Nazism.

His business dealings, which continued until his company's assets were seized in 1942 under the Trading with the Enemy Act

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/sep/25/usa.secondworldwar

Interesting that company, which I think was Brown Brothers, ended up being part of Brown Brothers Harriman, which ended up part of Kellog Brown and Root which ended up as part of Halliburton.

War profiteering in America has been going on for a while, destabilizing the world and making fat profits for the bastards at the top.

I'm pretty sure Brown Brothers Harriman is still it's own company and that the Brown in KElogg Brown and Root is unrelated.

BBH is a bank.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yeah, Brown Brothers Harriman has nothing to do with it, my bad.

But I am pretty sure about the other bit. anyway, grand poppa bush was trading with the nazis.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

JFairfax posted:

Oh yeah, Brown Brothers Harriman has nothing to do with it, my bad.

But I am pretty sure about the other bit. anyway, grand poppa bush was trading with the nazis.

Yup. Even still in the benighted age of drumpf I kinda miss ole Dubbya.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Tramadol is a horrible pain killer

Just gives me the worst nightmares

What's wrong with it? I used to take for a while for some pretty bad bouts of stomach pain, seemed to work.

Don't remember how much though, usually one tablet, usually during the nights since that when an attack might come (and last hours).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/868217762027536384

Is it just me or could this also be an ad for Labour?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That thunder and lightening was loving apocalyptic. I was in a really deep sleep and dreaming and it just rolled in like train. Couldn't sleep from about 2.30 - 4 am. Made me feel like a little kid again.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
gently caress I told the party I'd help with doorstepping today, and it definitely feels like the sky is about to explode into a megastorm at any moment.

If I get hit by lightning remember me as a martyr for the cause.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

The damage a few doors up. Please stop all political campaigning.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I really thought my net would be down given the amount of trees/over head line around here but looking at that I escaped. I felt like one of those youtube videos of dogs hating thunder with a pillow over my head trying to sleep.

I've never experienced a "lightening storm" or what ever that was. Normally you get just individual forks every now and then but this was constant with this really menacing rolling thunder.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Ratjaculation posted:

RIP Dick van Dyke

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ratjaculation posted:

Current lightning map

This is amazing, how does it work

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

For me it was a bit like this, I read a stat on twitter saying there were 130 strikes a minute. Imagine all the lightening you have ever seen in your life squeezed into 90 mins.

https://twitter.com/SusanSpry/status/868287531565109253

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Think the weather radar stations have a lightning detector at the same site. Believe they just detect the EMP pulse that lightning gives off, and with multiple ground sites you can then triangulate the coordinates of the strike, its why its not 100% accurate as the ground sites are 50-100 miles apart, especially away from the south coast.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/4eyedcow/status/868297994751414273

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Ratjaculation posted:

Ratjaculation posted:

Current lightning map

2017 and blitze are once again destroying english homes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
More importantly it's now drizzling slightly in London so the UK needs to declare a state of emergency immediately.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've never seen lightning like that before it was fascinating to watch. Going out into my back garden a second before the sky decided to dump a years worth of rainfall on it wasn't such a good idea though.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Didn't get the lightning here in East London :(

Also, question about JC because it's something my anti-Corbyn friends ask a lot - are there any examples of him actually achieving something significant, politically? But which I mean, I know he's 'been on the right side of history' plenty of times but has he ever, for example, played a key role in an organisation that has brought about a significant change of policy or whatever?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

No lightning in Wiltshire, sad to have missed it.

El Grillo posted:

Also, question about JC because it's something my anti-Corbyn friends ask a lot - are there any examples of him actually achieving something significant, politically? But which I mean, I know he's 'been on the right side of history' plenty of times but has he ever, for example, played a key role in an organisation that has brought about a significant change of policy or whatever?

Corbyn has won the Parliamentary "Beard of the Year Award" a record six times, as well as being named as the Beard Liberation Front's Beard of the Year, having previously described his beard as "a form of dissent" against New Labour.

Basically I think the answer is No, not because he's terrible but because he joined Labour in opposition, remained and rebelled against new Labour and is now the leader: before now he simply wasn't in a party or parliament capable of giving him a really influential position. He has been on select committees but I don't know if they did anything ground-breaking while he was on it.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Thunder and lightning just started here in sunny Sarfend-on-Sea.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

El Grillo posted:

Why should this be considered an argument against him? In order to achieve things you need power and an opportunity to act, which you're not going to get on the back benches. This is not an indication of how he would perform when given those things.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

El Grillo posted:

I think remaining principled and honest his entire career is a significant achievement; I don't believe all politicians start off as empty suits for hire but most of them end up that way.

Edit: Also, his Wikipedia page is probably as good a place as any for an overview of organisations he's been part of or supported. If your friends are wanting him to achieve his goals before getting into power then he's in a bit of a catch-22.

TACD fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
You could argue talking with Sinn Fein is being part of the peace process.

• Locked thread