Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sorry peak tvailures, great TV shows are actually just okay if they aren't constantly blowing your mind with the newest freshness :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think that person watched the show at all

quote:

The show’s most offensive shortcoming is also the most common one in this golden age of television. It’s boring, and very confusing. Our protagonist is in Milwaukee, Amsterdam, Luxembourg, and I think Texas (?) in the first episode and it’s never especially clear why he’s traveling or when he’s traveling. He has to shove a man in front of a bus and steal someone’s urine to maintain his undercover job in Wisconsin, but no one ever says why he needs one or why the government makes him do that dirty work himself.

:psyduck: And people say goons are bad at watching TV. Almost all of that is explained in the first like 20 minutes.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Man everything he says is wrong with the show is stuff where it's all part of the larger themes and ideas of the show. Like straight up he doesn't get it.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I wonder if Netflix actually keeps PulpFiction.avi on their servers and just hides it from the website or if movie people make them actually completely get rid of it only to send it to them again in a few months

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm pretty sure they keep the file and just 'hide' it when they lose rights. When the MST3K pack went up a few months ago I had a few episodes with my progress still marked from when it was available before.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm pretty sure they keep the file and just 'hide' it when they lose rights. When the MST3K pack went up a few months ago I had a few episodes with my progress still marked from when it was available before.

That's likely from progress tracking data attached to your profile. Nothing about it would require them to keep the file.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The_Rob posted:

Man everything he says is wrong with the show is stuff where it's all part of the larger themes and ideas of the show. Like straight up he doesn't get it.

"Why does he need this job?" the writer asks, when the first image of the first episode explains what a NOC is and then his dad says "I've got a job for you, NOC, you have to have this job to go here and do these things"

I literally don't think that person watched the show.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Reminds me of that stupid New York Times critic that panned Goliath because he watched two episodes out of order.

http://www.mediaite.com/print/ny-times-critic-pans-show-after-accidentally-watching-first-two-episodes-out-of-order/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 27, 2017

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Everything coming to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and HBO in June

edit: I'm stoked for Paterson. Jarmusch is great. Other notables that jumps out to me is Magnolia, Blue Velvet, I Am Not Your Negro, and the David Lynch documentary that was recently mentioned here are all coming onto Amazon too.

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 27, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Oh word, Zodiac is gonna be back on Netflix again.

To this day I'm still boggled it got zero Oscar nods (unless it came out in some weird window where it came right after one year's and was forgotten by next year's...)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The_Rob posted:

"Why is he just sitting in a courtyard singing, why isn't anything HAPPENING?? You gotta be some kinda arty farty film snob to love this" - person who's keeping the bloated corpse of network television shambling along another decade

That was the third Google hit when I went looking for reviews after finishing Patriot yesterday, and while I don't mind reading less than favorable reviews in theory to get another perspective, running into this kind of boastful ignorance is just deflating. I really miss Ebert.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't notice this the first time I read it:

quote:

At one point, John’s father has him recite a complicated plan back to him to prove he was listening. “Money, Luxembourg, Iran, buy an election,” he grumbles, and his father admits that’s basically it.

That is just a paragraph before what I quoted earlier:

quote:

Our protagonist is in Milwaukee, Amsterdam, Luxembourg, and I think Texas (?) in the first episode and it’s never especially clear why he’s traveling or when he’s traveling. He has to shove a man in front of a bus and steal someone’s urine to maintain his undercover job in Wisconsin, but no one ever says why he needs one or why the government makes him do that dirty work himself.

The irony is deafening :newlol:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

rngd in the womb posted:

edit: I'm stoked for Paterson. Jarmusch is great. Other notables that jumps out to me is Magnolia, Blue Velvet, I Am Not Your Negro, and the David Lynch documentary that was recently mentioned here are all coming onto Amazon too.

This is loving fantastic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh word, Zodiac is gonna be back on Netflix again.

To this day I'm still boggled it got zero Oscar nods (unless it came out in some weird window where it came right after one year's and was forgotten by next year's...)

Zodiac is so good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Doomed! is on Hulu, it's pretty entertaining. I had no idea how good The Thing's mask actually looked in it, the people who made that on such a tiny budget are great.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I was very interested to watch Mommy Dead and Dearest and had it queued up but wasn't in the right mood for it. The next day, it's gone! Anybody else?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mescal posted:

I was very interested to watch Mommy Dead and Dearest and had it queued up but wasn't in the right mood for it. The next day, it's gone! Anybody else?

Still there for me. It's under documentaries on hbo now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HBO produced it. It's not going anywhere.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mommy Dead and Dearest is fantastic and incredibly hosed up in ways I haven't seen since Tabloid (which is, I think, back on Netflix)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

drunken officeparty posted:

I wonder if Netflix actually keeps PulpFiction.avi on their servers and just hides it from the website or if movie people make them actually completely get rid of it only to send it to them again in a few months

Pulp Fiction's available in the UK at the moment so, for that one at least, yes :v:

If you start a film before midnight on the day it disappears you can finish watching it (so long as you don't let it time out), so most likely they stay up there the entire time, just hidden, yeah

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
War Machine is on Netflix. It's a pretty good movie about how the media is poo poo and Obama was a bad president.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

veni veni veni posted:

Zodiac is so good.

Yeah I think it might be my favorite Fincher movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Zodiac is almost head and shoulders the best Fincher film, really. Fight Club and Gone Girl come close but Zodiac is kind of the happy medium between the two, stylistically.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I watched Creed on Hulu and that was somehow exactly what I expected yet oddly compelling. Weird.

david_a fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 28, 2017

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

business hammocks posted:

Still there for me. It's under documentaries on hbo now.

What the hell. It is there. Why doesn't it show up when I use the search feature?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Creed's definitely one of the best Rocky movies and really is worth a watch.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

david_a posted:

Creed is definitely the... third best (?) Rocky movie.

poo poo I edited this post instead of actually posting what I meant to say I'm sorry david_a

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've never seen any of the Rocky movies. Do they follow the Rambo format where the first one is a somber look at a PTSD afflicted veteran and by the fourth one he is machine gunning down entire asian armies single handedly?

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I've never seen any of the Rocky movies. Do they follow the Rambo format where the first one is a somber look at a PTSD afflicted veteran and by the fourth one he is machine gunning down entire asian armies single handedly?

No they're about a boxer not a soldier

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

It's not that bad (except for Rocky IV which is ridiculous)

The first one is about a street thug journeyman boxer getting the shot of a lifetime because the world champ picked his name out of a book as a goof/promotional idea. Rocky takes the chance seriously and goes toe to toe with the best boxer in the world.

The second one has Rocky dealing with sudden fame, a potential career-ending eye injury and Apollo obsessed with getting a rematch to prove himself.

The third one deals with Rocky having an inflated ego [due to defending his title against a bunch of tomato cans] and dealing with a real challenger with no respect for anything.

The fourth one is complete fantasy.

The fifth one deals with Rocky losing everything and trying to deal with life after boxing.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

They're all amazing that's all you need to know.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Creed was loving fantastic. The script is a good solid script, but the movie shines in directing and editing. Not to mention the training montage with the dirtbikers was just beautiful and perfect. I loved the running theme of respecting the past but making the future the way you want it to be. I also love that in a lot of shots you always see Apollo in the background in some way because he can't not be shadowed by his past. I really loved that movie a lot.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

The_Rob posted:

Creed was loving fantastic. The script is a good solid script, but the movie shines in directing and editing. Not to mention the training montage with the dirtbikers was just beautiful and perfect. I loved the running theme of respecting the past but making the future the way you want it to be. I also love that in a lot of shots you always see Apollo in the background in some way because he can't not be shadowed by his past. I really loved that movie a lot.

Also Stallone was fantastic.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The cut to ESPN mini documentary on his upcoming fighters going full screen was jarring and a mistake. But wanna see the directors next step.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

rngd in the womb posted:

Psyched about Okja, Blow Out, Shivers, and I don't know, maybe Birth of a Nation or the Accountant?

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Not sure if it has been posted but they pbs docs on Ruby Ridge and Oklahoma City are pretty good, especially if you were a kid in the 90s and didn't really get the full picture of what was going on. They are on Netflix.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

Not sure if it has been posted but they pbs docs on Ruby Ridge and Oklahoma City are pretty good, especially if you were a kid in the 90s and didn't really get the full picture of what was going on. They are on Netflix.

Yeah I double featured these, there's a fair amount of material repeated between the two but both are worth watching.

Also, on a different note, the first season of Hap and Leonard, adapted from the books by Joe R. Lansdale, is up on Netflix and it's very good. Stars James Purefoy, Michael K. Williams and Christina Hendricks and also features a really great villain performance by Liam McPoyle. Very highly recommended for crime fiction fans, it's a six episode season that flies by and while I haven't read the specific book it's adapted from, it definitely does justice to Lansdale's writing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh those books were written by Landsdale? I gotta check that out then. Michael K Williams be damned, I wasn't too excited about checking out another basic cable Burn Notice thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh those books were written by Landsdale? I gotta check that out then. Michael K Williams be damned, I wasn't too excited about checking out another basic cable Burn Notice thing.

Oh it's way better than that, much more True Detective or Fargo than Burn Notice (but of course with that Lansdale sense of humor)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
From the promo stuff on it I never would've known. Never trust commercials.