Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The more I think of it, the more I like how the Inceptors seem to play. Thanks to a lack of a dedicated melee option, you want to strafe around firing, rocket down to chance a mortal wound, then bail and repeat the process. It makes them feel nice and distinct compared to chainsword units.

But as a compromise they look really goofy and have a dumb name compared to Assaults. I wish GW just kept the same names, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Maybe they should have made those guys look more like they're doing all the cool things you can do in the game with them then!!

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

The Bee posted:

The more I think of it, the more I like how the Inceptors seem to play. Thanks to a lack of a dedicated melee option, you want to strafe around firing, rocket down to chance a mortal wound, then bail and repeat the process. It makes them feel nice and distinct compared to chainsword units.

But as a compromise they look really goofy and have a dumb name compared to Assaults. I wish GW just kept the same names, honestly.

...and you can still shoot after falling back if you fly. So they're still getting their six S5 shots a piece.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Exactly. They want to strafe around and keep peppering the opposition, while regular assault marines want to stick in and chew their foes up before bailing. It's more like a risky crisis suit than an assault marine replacement.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
What's this New GW business? It's been a while since I paid attention but is it still fair to say that GW is a dodgy company with overpriced models and garbage business practices?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

AgentF posted:

What's this New GW business? It's been a while since I paid attention but is it still fair to say that GW is a dodgy company with overpriced models and garbage business practices?

It's as if not being total shitheels when it comes to social media, rules availability, community feedback, etc. suddenly makes them "Good" as opposed to "not poo poo".

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I suspect "less awful GW" isn't as good, marketing-wise

AgentF
May 11, 2009
But like, have the models gotten any cheaper or are they still extortionate? Have the really fuckin awful business practices and horrendous game balance gotten any better?

When I last stopped paying attention GW was releasing Age of Sigmar and it looked like an absolute poo poo show, to like a degree that would be obvious to anyone. Did that release end up working out?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The head of the company left. The cuntish policies were designed to push share prices up for when he left, with no regard for what came after. His underlings got booted, and the new management been making significant and noticeable attempts to turn things around. Prices won't come down, but there have been a lot of stealth reductions in the form of bundles, starter boxes, and stand alone games which are, in essence, price reductions.

AoS is, by all accounts, actually pretty fun now. Although its setting is still arse gravy. The reception of AoS when it came out pretty clearly shook the people in charge.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 27, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I watch Tabletop Minions and he features AoS semi-regularly and frankly, his mature approach to the hobby and his thoughts on AoS in particular (i.e. it's an introductory game, it's got a bit of strategy but it's meant to be very light, not particularly crunchy, etc.) have done more to convince me to give it a shot (though I won't) than anything I've ever seen come out of GW.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The head of the company left. The cuntish policies were designed to push share prices up for when he left, with no regard for what came after. His underlings got booted, and the new management been making significant and noticeable attempts to turn things around. Prices won't come down, but there have been a lot of stealth reductions in the form of bundles, starter boxes, and stand alone games which are, in essence, price reductions.

AoS is, by all accounts, actually pretty fun now. Although its setting is still arse gravy. The reception of AoS when it came out pretty clearly shook the people in charge.

Didn't AoS have a thing where you deployed a unit and then your opponent did, and you alternated regardless of what the unit was. So your opponent would put down 10 spearmen and you'd plop down a bloodthirster. Then your opponent deployed some archers and you'd place another bloodthirster. And just anything goes and whoever has the weaker army got some pissweak bonus that didn't make up for it?

Edit: Because they did away with point values and decided people would just come up with balanced games by, I dunno, the sanctity of social interactions with strangers.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It was a load of poo poo. It may still be, I haven't played it. They released The General's Handbook a while back which made it an actual proper game though. With points and balance etc.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

In terms of game design the new 40K shows a fairly large willingness to change things up compared to the most recent editions, maybe adding up to a 'new 3rd'.

However, they remain committed to a lot of bad practices like keeping both to-wound and armour save rolls for every shot, and with the new penetration system even IG/Orks/Termagaunts will be rolling saves as often as not...

And if they have designed a revolutionary new activation system to finally kill IGOUGO dead and show the dynamic flow of tactical combat they sure haven't been leading with it.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Random charges are still in and you don't lurch forward on a failed charge, either.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Bee posted:

Yeah, 3 of them drop down, rock 18 heavy bolter shots into a support character, and laugh.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Irate Tree posted:

Random charges are still in and you don't lurch forward on a failed charge, either.

Random charges are a pointless absurdity in a game with overwatch, yeah...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Age of Sigmar is still a bad game though now it actually is a game. Baby steps I guess.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The head of the company left.

Kirby is still around, he's just no longer running the company.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

AgentF posted:

They refer to the later years of Kirby's reign as 'The Dark Times' at HQ.

Lots of behind the scene changes and new strategies to engage with customers and sell them things they might want.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Slimnoid posted:

Kirby is still around, he's just no longer running the company.

He even still writes the insane introductions to their financial reports.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Hello, riff raff

I just saw a FB post about some kind of new skirmish game for AOS. A group of friends are looking at starting mordheim, which is a Bad Game. Is the skirmish game worse than mordheim?

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
This is the Death thread, right?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/27/alan-bligh/

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Atlas Hugged posted:

He even still writes the insane introductions to their financial reports.

However they very deliberately schedule the big meetings for when he is on holiday.

Share price has doubled since he stepped down, staff morale has soared and sales are up. In three weeks they put out a make or break new edition and the buzz is positive because they are engaging in marketing.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

:(

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Pawl posted:

I cannot imagine why people think you are a loving idiot.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Pawl posted:

Can't expect much from a MAGA imbecile, I guess.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

anti_strunt posted:

In terms of game design the new 40K shows a fairly large willingness to change things up compared to the most recent editions, maybe adding up to a 'new 3rd'.

Fair enough. If they're willing to make substantial changes to the game mechanics to make things better then that deserves a little respect, even if I don't actually expect the results to be any good unless they replaced all their rules writers as well, or learnt a million lessons from AoS.

Also I read some of that leaked new fluff and that is garbage tier. The Tyranids almost kill all of the Blood Angels until they are saved by Ultramarines (of course) and then maybe Khorne is involved? That is Necron-Blood Angel Fistbump level of story development.

Edit: Also, what's with these "index" books? Are codexes no longer a thing?

AgentF fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 27, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Index books are the bare bones day one replacement (each index has rules for multiple armies) for the existing codices, which are all obsolete on launch day. More traditional codex releases will follow at a later date.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
oh hey Mort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E415aFoSDcY

e: oh gently caress meant to post it in the other thread

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

It's kind of a shame that Firefight exists but is basically ignored :(

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In other "bad company" news it seems like Ninja Division/Soda Pop is continuing to poo poo the bed.

First they sent a press email saying that they are breaking up with Prodos and the AvP kickstarter will be fulfilled by... magic fairy dust basically. Then they sent an email telling people to ignore it! Now there is a intellectual property dispute on the AvP game (that might not be new, who knows) and it seems like that was a waste of a kickstarter.

SDE, one of their most popular games, is undergoing so much churn who knows how that will end up. They are changing up the brand, game modes, and model releases on a weekly basis. They have been focusing on Pet Parade, a minigame that nobody asked for, instead of Legends, which is what the kickstarter was actually funding.

Relic Knights has the heaving anime breasts, but its rule system is going under an entire overhaul, including removing everything that made it unique! That's going over well so far.
Literally. Their order of activation system and hand-of-cards system where good and made the system unique. It had its problems, of course, but nothing that couldn't be solved. So they decided to just dump them for a standard activation system and a flip system. They basically made their game poo poo Malifaux. Which is tough, cause Malifaux is a pretty drat good game. Massive backlash in the kickstarter of course.

Rail Raiders, Way of the Fighter, Ninja All Stars: still kinda poo poo.
This is what happens when mediocre game makers try to get into business. Internal drama, kickstarters to stay afloat, vastly shifting the established rules of their money making game systems...

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I've head that AvP was a massive shitshow but i had no idea Ninja Division was involved, i thought it was all Prodos.
Anyone feel like elaborating on this?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Didn't they originally do the models for the Robotech wargame too?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging Dentist posted:

Didn't they originally do the models for the Robotech wargame too?

Yup.
Ninja Division was also the last nail in the coffin of Anima Tacics and Hell Dorado.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

gently caress. You.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

man your a lovely person bro

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

If you didn't earn that AV before, you certainly have now.

Good job.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Southern Heel posted:

It's kind of a shame that Firefight exists but is basically ignored :(

Malibu Stacy got a new hat, unfortunately

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

For a moment it looked like the Garden of Morr had finally been taken out of rotation, and I was a bit upset since I never got around to buying it. But no, it turns out they just chucked two of them and some extra crap in the same package and called it a "Sigmarite Mausoleum".

It's more expensive of course, but cheaper than buying two Gardens, so I got one. I figured even if I never touch another GW game in my life, I can use it as a Bolt Action cemetery or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pawl wtf

• Locked thread