Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkuDzSB4gN0

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I think the Democrat jokes were fairly harmless, making fun of them for being naive, incompetent or horny, but ultimately trying to do the right thing. In comparison they make no bones about the idea that Republicans are pure evil. Like the show generally had a strongly liberal slant on issues like Gay Rights (Homer learns to stop being such a Homophobe), Vegetarianism (Society seems to conspire against Lisa to make it difficult to not eat meat), Immigration (as an issue it exists only to distract people from actual problems and victimizes innocent people like Apu), Labor relations (Jimmy Hoffa jokes aside, the Plant's union is ultimately fighting for important rights that Burns wants to rip away because money), the Environment (the power plant is blasting poison into the rivers, mutating the fish), Feminism (Lisa fights against crappy female representation in Malibu Stacey dolls) and various other things.

Like, I'm mostly talking about episodes from the 90s so some of the values might seem a bit more conservative these days.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

khwarezm posted:

(They mocked H.W Bush and Clinton tons while they were in power, but they never mentioned George Bush at all, or any of the other crazy political stuff happening during his tenure?)

The american media as a whole rarely if ever mocked GW Bush during his tenure due to 9/11 and "respecting the office" during times of crisis. It was hosed up and awful. America was in such a state of perpetual terror and desperation that no one dared, it was an unquestioning time of paranoia. It's almost impossible to imagine compared to now. I was just explaining this to some kids the other day re: why Kanye West calling him a racist on live TV, and the release of Fahrenheit 9/11, was loving mind blowing heroics at the time vs what happens on Twitter 24/7 these days.
If there is another crisis it will happen again.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

I think the Democrat jokes were fairly harmless, making fun of them for being naive, incompetent or horny, but ultimately trying to do the right thing. In comparison they make no bones about the idea that Republicans are pure evil. Like the show generally had a strongly liberal slant on issues like Gay Rights (Homer learns to stop being such a Homophobe), Vegetarianism (Society seems to conspire against Lisa to make it difficult to not eat meat), Immigration (as an issue it exists only to distract people from actual problems and victimizes innocent people like Apu), Labor relations (Jimmy Hoffa jokes aside, the Plant's union is ultimately fighting for important rights that Burns wants to rip away because money), the Environment (the power plant is blasting poison into the rivers, mutating the fish), Feminism (Lisa fights against crappy female representation in Malibu Stacey dolls) and various other things.

Like, I'm mostly talking about episodes from the 90s so some of the values might seem a bit more conservative these days.

Yeah I think you gotta stretch pretty hard to see any positive conservative messages in 90s Simpsons but the liberal ones are fairly obvious. Whenever the townsfolk are up in arms they're always expressing outright conservative views from what I remember for example

I mean I don't know why you would expect the Simpsons of all things to be neutral towards conservatism considering the huge backlash about Bart Simpson being a bad role model stuff was mainly a right-wing thing

quote:

Bart's rebellious nature, which frequently resulted in no punishment for his misbehavior, led some parents and conservatives to characterize him as a poor role model for children.[127][128] Robert Bianco of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote that "[Bart] outwits his parents and outtalks his teachers; in short, he's the child we wish we'd been, and fear our children will become."[129] In schools, educators claimed that Bart was a "threat to learning" because of his "underachiever and proud of it" attitude and negative attitude regarding his education.[130] Others described him as "egotistical, aggressive and mean-spirited."[131] In response to the criticism, James L. Brooks said, "I'm very wary of television where everybody is supposed to be a role model, you don't run across that many role models in real life. Why should television be full of them?"[132]

In 1990 William Bennett, who at the time was drug czar of the United States, visited a drug treatment centre in Pittsburgh and upon noticing a poster of Bart remarked, "You guys aren't watching The Simpsons, are you? That's not going to help you any."[133] When a backlash over the comment ensued, Bennett apologized, claiming he "was just kidding"[134] and saying "I'll sit down with the little spike head. We'll straighten this thing out."[135] In a 1991 interview, Bill Cosby described Bart as a bad role model for children, calling him "angry, confused, frustrated." In response, Matt Groening said, "That sums up Bart, all right. Most people are in a struggle to be normal. He thinks normal is very boring, and does things that others just wished they dare do."[136] On January 27, 1992, then-President George H. W. Bush said, "We are going to keep on trying to strengthen the American family, to make American families a lot more like the Waltons and a lot less like the Simpsons."[100] The writers rushed out a tongue-in-cheek reply in the form of a short segment which aired three days later before a rerun of "Stark Raving Dad" in which Bart replied, "Hey, we're just like the Waltons. We're praying for an end to the Depression, too."[137][138]

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i remember a post-9/11 episode where bart moons the american flag, a newspaper puts it on the front page with the headline "U.rear end.A!" and the entire simpsons family is sent to jail as a result. there's a scene where bill clinton performs for the prison talent show

it was probably unfunny trash, and definitely less subtle than classic simpsons political gags, but at least they were willing to say something about it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

i remember a post-9/11 episode where bart moons the american flag, a newspaper puts it on the front page with the headline "U.rear end.A!" and the entire simpsons family is sent to jail as a result. there's a scene where bill clinton performs for the prison talent show

it was probably unfunny trash, and definitely less subtle than classic simpsons political gags, but at least they were willing to say something about it

Right, which sounds like them trying to make an actual point about expected patriotism and making up for it by taking the softest of jabs at Bill Clinton who was definitely not in trouble of being in jail or even probably in the news at that time

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Yeah it was already after the point where the majority of the country was openly against the Bush administration and long after the point where it would have been considered controversial

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's an interesting discussion because I remember in the first few seasons it often had overtly religious themes. Some episodes in particular, such as the one where Lisa fears (literally) going to hell because Homer is stealing cable, were pretty shocking to secular European audiences, and did a lot to cement the US's reputation as a backwards semi- Third World theocracy. A few seasons later and it was completely different.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Overtly religious themes are just 1) easy to write, and 2) fun to draw

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

It's an interesting discussion because I remember in the first few seasons it often had overtly religious themes. Some episodes in particular, such as the one where Lisa fears (literally) going to hell because Homer is stealing cable, were pretty shocking to secular European audiences, and did a lot to cement the US's reputation as a backwards semi- Third World theocracy. A few seasons later and it was completely different.

Yeah not even the Simpsons could escape from the "every TV family goes to Christian church" thing until 90s counter culture stuff made it a little safer. If they'd started out the way they deal with religion in even the 4th or 5th seasons they probably wouldn't have lasted very long. 80s was still silent majority Ronald Reagan jerry falwell land in mainstream culture

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

when did the simpsons get partisan? in the classic days, they were cynical towards republicans (for being cartoonishly evil) and democrats (for being incompetent morons, plus mayor quimby was a caricature of the worst parts of JFK)

trump is insanely bad.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, in retrospect that episode was really weird to more secular people. I always thought Lisa sounding like some kind of Evangelical preacher when she asks Homer why he devoted himself to a lifetime of blasphemy and debauchery, its really seems out of character for her now.

And then by contrast you the Bart's soul episode, there was a scene in that where Milhouse asks Bart what religions would have to gain from lying to people and it cuts straight to Reverend Lovejoy putting a bunch of money in a sorting machine with the obvious implied answer. In Ireland when I was growing up I swear to god that that punchline was cut out from the episode whenever it was on, must have been too much to be deemed acceptable.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the simpsons treated religion with the same cynicism as every other topic, although the most obvious examples were later in the golden years. i'm thinking Bart Sells His Soul and the episode where Marge becomes the "listen lady" for the church

Groovelord Neato posted:

trump is insanely bad.
no disagreement there, but trump jokes don't try to be funny first and foremost

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

Yeah, in retrospect that episode was really weird to more secular people. I always thought Lisa sounding like some kind of Evangelical preacher when she asks Homer why he devoted himself to a lifetime of blasphemy and debauchery, its really seems out of character for her now.

It is weird looking back cause I don't think that fit Lisa's character in either previous or later episodes so it was pretty much just a MacGuffin. The rest of that episode was pretty good for an early seasons one though, and it introduced Drederick Tatu AND Troy McClure

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's also weird looking back at it because lisa is now a buddhist

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
It fits Lisa's character in that she always has to be right, and see herself as a good and moral person, and pleasing to her teachers (Sunday school in this case), no matter how much it affects other people or if poo poo even matters at all in the long run. Her role on the show at that time was just "the good kid". That was season 2 and the only other Lisa plot that year was her falling in love with the supply teacher.

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Any lisa themed episode is a bad one

maybe the one where she teams up with burns and recycles is okay, but only cos of him

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

lisa was good as a support character but episodes with her at the center were weak. i'm not counting Lisa On Ice because that was both her and bart

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Lisa is different in season 1 and 2 than even how she was in the "golden era", she was moody and philosophical, kind of supposed to be some sort of child prodigy rather than just a morally conscious (and later preachy) straight A student .

The good seasons have plenty of good Lisa episodes.

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I dont doubt it, but which ones as a refresher

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington is good, as is the Jebediah Springfield museum one, and the Malibu Stacy ep is a triumph.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
There was a funny throwaway gag in a S6 episode about Dr. Hibbert and Bleeding Gums Murphy being brothers. Nowadays they would go back to that and play it straight with Hibbert being all sad trying to reconcile it. Al Jean is poo poo.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cool new Polack jokes posted:

There was a funny throwaway gag in a S6 episode about Dr. Hibbert and Bleeding Gums Murphy being brothers. Nowadays they would go back to that and play it straight with Hibbert being all sad trying to reconcile it. Al Jean is poo poo.

Every episode must have redeeming moral message at the end now regardless of how cliched or contextually patched in with tongue depressers and glue. :stare:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The episode where Lisa teams up with Burns has a funny ending but rejecting the money doesn't seem moral when it will end up in Burns's pocket.

It's very similar to the ending of the episode where Bart gets hit by Burns's car too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

EnvyJ posted:

Any lisa themed episode is a bad one

maybe the one where she teams up with burns and recycles is okay, but only cos of him

i've posted it before but a lisa episode led to one of my fave scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYns5vR3QuQ

homer's angry face gets me every time.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Scudworth posted:

Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington is good, as is the Jebediah Springfield museum one, and the Malibu Stacy ep is a triumph.

i was a kid when i first saw lisa goes to washington and didn't pick up on the sarcasm in the third act and thought it was just a regular happy ending on tv :shobon:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Scudworth posted:

It fits Lisa's character in that she always has to be right, and see herself as a good and moral person, and pleasing to her teachers (Sunday school in this case), no matter how much it affects other people or if poo poo even matters at all in the long run. Her role on the show at that time was just "the good kid". That was season 2 and the only other Lisa plot that year was her falling in love with the supply teacher.

Eh, I think its been well established that Lisa doesn't just follow the crowd and try to lick up to people or concepts so she can considered good or smart. She usually strikes out on her own against preconceived wisdom. Homer the Heretic was season 4.

I also hate when people say 'Lisa episodes suck', while its easy to mess up writing her and make her seem ludicrously arrogant and preachy, that was mostly a problem in the very early seasons and then the lovely era after season ten. In the interval there are tons of great episodes with her as the main, the Jebediah Springfield one, the one where she gets displaced by Winona Ryder as the smartest kid, the Malibu Stacey one, the one where she dates Nelson and especially the one where she reinvents herself to be a cool kid while on holiday, I always thought that was super sweet.

In most of these episodes she still approaches situations with a certain childish, naive attitude and doesn't always act like a 35 year in an 8 year old's body, which is something that later episodes usually forgot. They also emphasised the fact that really, when you get under her skin she's a really insecure, awkward nerd, another characteristic that mostly got forgotten.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Scudworth posted:

Moaning Lisa might be my favorite season 1 Ep. - whatever that counts for.

Osric posted:

Season 11 was where it fell apart for me.

This is the season where Maude is killed by a t-shirt cannon, Apu and his wife have octuplets, Barney quits drinking, Bart is on Ritalin, and Homer gets a job as a food critic and local restaurant owners try to assassinate him. There are funny bits but it feels like they're having to constantly escalate things with zany, tone-deaf character developments.

This is from a while back, but I still laugh when I remember the reporter getting Apu to grudgingly say, "We have a love-eight relationship!"

----
Also Re: South Park, all other factors notwithstanding, Randy Marsh is one of the funniest TV characters of all time.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

khwarezm posted:

Actually its kind of surprising just how relevant some of the older political episodes still are

I'm guessing its because most of the political stuff they brought up in the older episodes are things deeply ingrained in American culture so I guess they'll always be relevant

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like those clowns in Congress did it again. What a bunch of clowns.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

i was a kid when i first saw lisa goes to washington and didn't pick up on the sarcasm in the third act and thought it was just a regular happy ending on tv :shobon:

same :shobon:::hf::shobon:

also, i still don't get the "hey let me tell you about lisa, yes / she's that little eight-year old mcgregoress" line

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnRt_JEoBRU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I forgot how perfect that scene was

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah I think you gotta stretch pretty hard to see any positive conservative messages in 90s Simpsons but the liberal ones are fairly obvious. Whenever the townsfolk are up in arms they're always expressing outright conservative views from what I remember for example

I mean I don't know why you would expect the Simpsons of all things to be neutral towards conservatism considering the huge backlash about Bart Simpson being a bad role model stuff was mainly a right-wing thing
You're right for the most part, but there was one noticeable exception I noticed that's going to be super-loving-:goonsay:

I was watching the non-syndicated cut of "Treehouse of Horror IV" online and in the opening where they pan through a graveyard with gag names on the tombstones one of them says "A Balanced Budget" which is a clear dig at Clinton's proposals at the time (the episode aired at the end of 93). It's literally the only example I can think of, which is why it stood out to me.

Also :goonsay:

Aesop Poprock posted:

I forgot how perfect that scene was
:agreed:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

YeahTubaMike posted:

same :shobon:::hf::shobon:

also, i still don't get the "hey let me tell you about lisa, yes / she's that little eight-year old mcgregoress" line

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muckraker

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Watching a new episode where Marge is doing a Marie Kondo type clean of the house, and drat her voice is completely hosed. She sounds like an 80 year old smoker. Has she wrecked her vocal cords over the years?

Also there's a storyline around spiderpig.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Has there ever been an episode where Marge gets super into doing kegels?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

SEX BURRITO posted:

Watching a new episode where Marge is doing a Marie Kondo type clean of the house, and drat her voice is completely hosed. She sounds like an 80 year old smoker. Has she wrecked her vocal cords over the years?

Also there's a storyline around spiderpig.

I'm kind of amazed Julie Kavner is still doing the voice. Her regular speaking voice sounds very much like the other characters she voices, who all smoke. I'm pretty sure she smokes, too.

e: wait, spiderpig? they specifically didn't want any callbacks to previous episodes in the movie... then they put something from the movie in the show? :ughh:

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
They have referenced Spider Pig a few times. That seems to be the only carry over from the movie. Granted I've only seen about 10 or so episodes since the movie came out so I may not be an authority on this matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Homer was trying to pass Spiderpig off as a therapy animal or something. And Lisa had a full blown panic attack which made for a weird and unsettling scene.

I'm weak. I couldn't make it through one new episode.