Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

thehappyprince posted:

that clough video is class. will love it if they end this with a neville southall quote

In the immortal words of abba: Lay all your love on me (but not actually me - them):
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/868459889227685889

TheRat fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Guardian is a Lib Dem paper that keeps settling for Labour because the Dems are hopeless. Once you understand that, their editorial angle makes a lot more sense.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pochoclo posted:

Setting him on fire? What the actual gently caress. The craziest form of bullying I've seen in my workplace is someone hiding a coworker's phone for like a minute, I can't even imagine what kind of douchebag thinks setting someone on fire is "just harmless ribbing"

I guess they'd have no issue with someone torching their dealership because it's just banter

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

#bringbackTAZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHLIW0UvIxc

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Thanks Ants posted:

I guess they'd have no issue with someone torching their dealership because it's just banter

uhh hey I know sometimes we joke around about hurting people and silly things like that on this forum but if i'm not mistaken you're talking about damage to property and/or wealth. not cool dude. mods? theresa? i know you're reading this

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

A new scandal is set to engulf Jeremy Corbyn’s general election campaign today as it has emerged that the Labour candidate ‘had a curry’ with Skeletor in 1991.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/DannyDeVito/status/868498673872891904

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

dammit I already made a jim murphy = skeletor gag in this thread, i don't think I can allow myself more than one per month

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I'd be rather surprised if Spud would ever have a curry with Our Jez. I really like the moments when I can forget Murphy existed (outside the awesome avatar of course)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Quincey posted:

Is this the right to mention this horrible story in Reading, Berkshire? Trigger warning - suicide

An Audi apprentice mechanic found dead in woodland near his Woodley home had been locked in a cage, had his clothes set alight and was bullied by his colleagues, an inquest heard.

The parents of 18-year-old George Cheese said he had been "over the moon" when he got the position but soon started coming home covered in bruises and had multiple holes burned into his clothes.

Berkshire coroner Peter Bedford heard at an inquest at Reading Town Hall on Wednesday, May 24, that their son said his colleagues had locked him in a cage by force, doused him in a flammable liquid and set fire to his clothes

His mother, Purdy, said on another occasion he had returned from work in Reading with a limp after four men had held him to the ground while a fifth punched his thigh repeatedly to give him a dead leg.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/reading-berkshire-news/mechanic-george-cheese-locked-cage-13086388

They also laughed at his mental health condition. It's a disgusting story. The coroner found the staff at the Sytner Audi in Reading not to blame for his death, commenting that fears of cancer, his mental health and relationship problems were a contributing factor to his suicide.

Ive been a professional mechanic for 15 years and never in my life have I been witness to bullying to such extremes. That being said, killing oneself seems to be a rather severe solution to a problem where a more appropriate response would have been just to quit, imo. The judge was correct not to deem the dudes coworkers at fault for his death despite the fact that theyre clearly despicable ppl

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Ive been a professional mechanic for 15 years and never in my life have I been witness to bullying to such extremes. That being said, killing oneself seems to be a rather severe solution to a problem where a more appropriate response would have been just to quit, imo. The judge was correct not to deem the dudes coworkers at fault for his death despite the fact that theyre clearly despicable ppl

You don't see that that kind of extreme bullying might impair your ability to make rational decisions (as well as the self-confidence necessary to decide you'd be better off elsewhere)?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

fridge corn posted:

killing oneself seems to be a rather severe solution to a problem where a more appropriate response

Suicide is rarely what most people would consider a rational response to a situation. Stress, and being subject to repeated abuse, has a tendency to impair rational thinking. What you said could be considered quite offensive since it implies blame on the person who killed themselves for not being 'strong enough' to 'act rationally'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fridge corn posted:

No he wasn't and they should be shot.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

fridge corn posted:

gently caress you, oval office. People that kill themselves do not want to die, and they would live if they felt they had a choice. Each individual is entitled to their own threshold of torment before living becomes worse than dying, to them.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/868505634332913664

Not as exciting as the last two polls, but still shows Labour closing the gap.

Fieldwork dates should be 23-24th apparently.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Brian Clough is one of those eternally fascinating characters you get in life sometimes. It's a shame they just don't exist in football so much any more because football is so ruined by the middle class & by money.

Why yes, I am a fan of a small team.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

forkboy84 posted:

Brian Clough is one of those eternally fascinating characters you get in life sometimes. It's a shame they just don't exist in football so much any more because football is so ruined by the middle class & by money.

Tangibly related: The Damned United is on BBC 2 tomorrow night.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

fridge corn posted:

I'm not a mental health professional, but I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety about 15 years ago (long since got much better, thankfully), and honestly it isn't that easy or simple.

What is easy is to fall into a spiral of catastrophising where you can't see any way out of a horrible situation, even something like quitting and finding a new job seems utterly impossible, because you feel like a completely hateful, incompetent waste of oxygen who's lucky to have the shittest job in the world where you're bullied every day - so you have to just stick with it.
Life in that situation often feels like being stuck on a runaway train where you have no agency or control over your own existence, and you can't foresee any positive outcome from any decision you make at all, and you're constantly on edge waiting for the next disaster to strike. Eventually waking up and thinking "maybe I'll slit my wrists in the bathtub" is the most natural thing in the world.
It's a horrible, completely debilitating way to live.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/868505634332913664

Not as exciting as the last two polls, but still shows Labour closing the gap.

Fieldwork dates should be 23-24th apparently.

Lib Dem fightback going strong

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

IDS and BoJo both today condemning Corbyn for... his views on the IRA. Do they think there's much more to gain from this strategy, or do they just have nothing else?

Still frustrating that the BBC always considers it front page news every time a Tory brings up stuff Corbyn did decades ago, and has already explained/been questioned about multiple times.

Tories seem to think talking about Corbyn's historical support for the IRA will win them votes.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Also
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/868508038919016452

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

He was bullied to death.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

As much as their collapse has helped the Tories, UKIP becoming a total joke is probably a good thing in the long run I guess

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

forkboy84 posted:

Nationalise the fitba.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

fridge corn posted:

I don't mean to dog-pile on you dude, but the article even says "on the evening before his death, George had been pacing around the house, saying "I have to quit, I can't go back there" over and over again."

But his Dad told him they were only having a laugh and that things would get beter.

And just to be totally clear on what actually happened, an 18 year old boy was being beaten, verbally abused, locked in a cage and set on fire, by a large group of older men, including his bosses, who would greet him of the moring joking about the fact he hadn't killed himself yet, and when he went home and tried to quit he was told he was being 'dramatic' and to just suck it up and get on with it.

At 18, if your life had turned into a SAW film, and you were told that it was normal, and that you now had to spend the rest of your life getting up and going to a horrible place to be tortured and tormented, would you not think about killing yourself?

I mean this was a child, in a situation where even an adult would be driven to extremes.

EDIT: And just to be clear, I think they should be put on trial for manslaughter at least.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

You don't see that that kind of extreme bullying might impair your ability to make rational decisions (as well as the self-confidence necessary to decide you'd be better off elsewhere)?

jabby posted:

Suicide is rarely what most people would consider a rational response to a situation. Stress, and being subject to repeated abuse, has a tendency to impair rational thinking. What you said could be considered quite offensive since it implies blame on the person who killed themselves for not being 'strong enough' to 'act rationally'.

Im not saying he's entirely to blame for killing himself but there's obviously a ton of contributing factors resulting in the dude topping himself so where do you quantify the culpability? What would they be charged with? I suppose the dude who set him alight could be charged with something except the victim is not around any more to press charges?? 🤔

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Well yes, that's clear. I'm not sure it's working though. I think people are waiting to hear something positive from them.

Which isn't to say they won't still win, they should. But the whole point of this snap election was meant to be to give Theresa May a massively increased majority, so the Tories should probably be offering a little more than running about with their winkie out shouting IRA over & over.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

fridge corn posted:

Im not saying he's entirely to blame for killing himself but there's obviously a ton of contributing factors resulting in the dude topping himself so where do you quantify the culpability? What would they be charged with? I suppose the dude who set him alight could be charged with something except the victim is not around any more to press charges??

Okay, now I am joining the dog-pile.

If you and a large group of older men, who are in a position of authority over an 18 year old boy, torture that boy regularly, and joke about how you're suprised he hasnt killed himself when he comes back into work, then you are responsible when he actually does commit suicide.

And the logic that you can set an 18 year old boy on fire and get away with it as long as you make sure he kills himself before pressing charges is both stupid and disgusting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fridge corn posted:

Im not saying he's entirely to blame for killing himself but there's obviously a ton of contributing factors resulting in the dude topping himself so where do you quantify the culpability? What would they be charged with? I suppose the dude who set him alight could be charged with something except the victim is not around any more to press charges?? 🤔

All of them, manslaughter at the least, murder for preference.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

forkboy84 posted:

Alternatively it's good that the unrepentant homophobic bully is gone

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
The way young men are treated in these industries is loving atrocious. Every single one of my friends who work in construction/mechanics has gone through some period/kind of hazing at the hands of the 'lads' who've worked on the site/firm for longer. These kind of jobs are infected with "old boys" cliques. I'm getting married in a week and my future brother-in-law just turned 20 and is, because of his age, on half the pay of the skinny alcoholics that make up the majority of the scaffolders he works with, despite being able and willing to do four times the work they can.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/868512679702429697

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/868514757963390978

seems significant

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/868515497310126080

:eyepop:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

cosmically_cosmic posted:

I don't mean to dog-pile on you dude, but the article even says "on the evening before his death, George had been pacing around the house, saying "I have to quit, I can't go back there" over and over again."

But his Dad told him they were only having a laugh and that things would get beter.

And just to be totally clear on what actually happened, an 18 year old boy was being beaten, verbally abused, locked in a cage and set on fire, by a large group of older men, including his bosses, who would greet him of the moring joking about the fact he hadn't killed himself yet, and when he went home and tried to quit he was told he was being 'dramatic' and to just suck it up and get on with it.

At 18, if your life had turned into a SAW film, and you were told that it was normal, and that you now had to spend the rest of your life getting up and going to a horrible place to be tortured and tormented, would you not think about killing yourself?

I mean this was a child, in a situation where even an adult would be driven to extremes.

EDIT: And just to be clear, I think they should be put on trial for manslaughter at least.

So by your logic you believe the boys father who told him to suck it up and the girlfriend who broke up with him should also be charged with manslaughter?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what's the percentage of people who start uncontrollably vomiting the moment they hear the phrase "hard working families", do they measure that

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

fridge corn posted:

So by your logic you believe the boys father who told him to suck it up and the girlfriend who broke up with him should also be charged with manslaughter?

C'mon, man, don't be deliberately stupid. You really can't see why the people who locked him in a cage and set him on fire might bear the lion's share of responsibility for his death?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Rakosi posted:

The way young men are treated in these industries is loving atrocious. Every single one of my friends who work in construction/mechanics has gone through some period/kind of hazing at the hands of the 'lads' who've worked on the site/firm for longer. These kind of jobs are infected with "old boys" cliques. I'm getting married in a week and my future brother-in-law just turned 20 and is, because of his age, on half the pay of the skinny alcoholics that make up the majority of the scaffolders he works with, despite being able and willing to do four times the work they can.

Im my 15 years experience in the industry I can say that this is simply not true

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So we have several polls from the same time period putting the Tory lead between 5 and 12 points. Election night is certainly gonna be interesting.

One thing seems likely though, and that's that we all get to mock Pissflaps for his prediction of Labour being in the high 20's of vote share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I assume that's asking the general public about old people stuff, not asking just old people?

Either way that's a very good number though.

• Locked thread