Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Wheany posted:

That is really lame. What if I want my games to have better graphics than what the Switch is capable of. Is it still "strictly better?"

This is such a boring and dumb argument that it's draining me. And I mean both your and my counter argument.

If playing Witcher 3 in 4k would be possible in comfortable portable form it would be strictly better, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I play everything sat on the couch in my underwear anyway so it doesn't matter to me

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Imagine, if you will, a video game entertainment system that connects to your tv and plays some video games. But wait, your friends are calling you out to a nice non-alcoholic rooftop party! Imagine, if you will, if you could pick up the console and continue gaming while you walk next door and set up the console and knock your craft sarsaparillas together and have fun with your friends playing some nice video games

Just imagine if that was possible...

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I hate heights

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The stairs stage is the loving worst.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why do people think this is going to happen? The Wii U never got a revision. The Gamecube never got a revision. The Wii only got a revision at the end of it's lifecycle, and it was bad. Nintendo doesn't do revisions for their home consoles

But this is their potable console too, and those always get revisions? So which will it be????

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

El Burbo posted:

But this is their potable console too, and those always get revisions? So which will it be????

You know it in your heart.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

At this point I'm happier with Nintendo making games that are fun and smooth, if cartoony, because that is what they are good at. Leave the games that render every hair follicle to the other consoles, because nine times out of ten those hyper-detailed games suffer from garbage gameplay.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
ARMS is really fun, you guys

Also playing the game online tethered over 4G works great. I feel bad for those with capped data contracts though

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I don't know if my joycons are hosed or if I am incapable of moving my fighter :shrug:

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Dugong posted:

I don't know if my joycons are hosed or if I am incapable of moving my fighter :shrug:

Try calibrating them?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Use gods own controls instead of the devils waggle

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Try it in handheld mode and compare the movement speed. It's pretty slow, I guess intentionally as the game is more about attack/block/throw trinity rather than movement. Someone ITT I think compared ARMS to Punch-Out and I think that is apt.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

DreamShipWrecked posted:

At this point I'm happier with Nintendo making games that are fun and smooth, if cartoony, because that is what they are good at. Leave the games that render every hair follicle to the other consoles, because nine times out of ten those hyper-detailed games suffer from garbage gameplay.

Did you know that the dumb graphics vs gameplay argument is older than the SNES?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
You're right Nintendo does both now and art design still supersedes

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Wheany posted:

Did you know that the dumb graphics vs gameplay argument is older than the SNES?

Nintendo games tend to be more downgraded graphics while other consoles tend to go for higher fidelity, and every time Nintendo tries to Port it looks like poo poo. A historical analysis.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

For everyone hating on 1v1v1 and 1v1v1v1 and 2v2, the dpad in thumbs up mode switches your target :ssh:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ribbon girl dash, jump, air dash, air jump, air dash again is godly.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

a.lo posted:

I liked the commercial
That was Team Ninja at like the height of their popularity wasn't it? After Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 people thought of them as 'the' action game-makers before Platinum became ascendant. Can't really blame people for being tricked by Team Ninja plus new Metroid game.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I just noticed that from my bed, my TV is the almost exact same apparent size as my laptop. I picked up my Switch and held it at a comfortable distance, and it's the exact same apparent size as those other rectangles

thought you'd wanna know

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

:same:

Arms is a ton of fun. Only played in handheld mode without motion controls, but I liked it a lot. The 2v2 mode is too hectic, though - it really shines in 1v1, where things are a more strategic. That said, I only played it for like 40 minutes, so 2v2 might feel better with more play time. :shrug:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Ribbon girl dash, jump, air dash, air jump, air dash again is godly.

She can just straight up never touch the ground it's great

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I'm gonna guess SF2 was a poor release? Haven't heard many people mentioning it

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pierson posted:

That was Team Ninja at like the height of their popularity wasn't it? After Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 people thought of them as 'the' action game-makers before Platinum became ascendant. Can't really blame people for being tricked by Team Ninja plus new Metroid game.

Now imagine Platinum is announced as developing the new Metroid :allears:

they'd gently caress it up of course, that IP is cursed.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Dizz posted:

I've heard 'it's literally SF2 for $40' which doesn't sound great honestly

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm really digging this terrible ARMS game, guys.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Now imagine Platinum is announced as developing the new Metroid :allears:

they'd gently caress it up of course, that IP is cursed.

Other M is the only bad game, wtf are you on about?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, I want it but that price is insane. I'll pick it up when it's $20 or below.

Arms is pretty fun still and I'd love to play it in a goon lobby.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Other M is the only bad game, wtf are you on about?

Federation Force tho

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Wheany posted:

The game is called Arms because it has no legs

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

I figured the ability to go to HD or standard graphics would be a good selling point.

Also the online play.

And yeah I will aggree with people that 40 bucks is a bit too heavy, I'd pay 30 I guess.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dizz posted:

Nothing wrong with it just overpriced. The DigitalFoundry review said it wasn't a zero effort port or anything, they rebalanced, made it closer to the real SFII Turbo, have some good additions and whatnot, fixed some things from the old version, it just should be $15.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Federation Force tho
A mediocre at worst game that came off as totally tone deaf to fans that for some reason didn't want a multiplayer spinoff to a single-player series after the last real title cratered so hard it knocked the planet out of orbit.

Bonus points for the prime branding too.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

A mediocre at worst game that came off as totally tone deaf to fans that for some reason didn't want a multiplayer spinoff to a single-player series after the last real title cratered so hard it knocked the planet out of orbit.

Bonus points for the prime branding too.

It had basically the worst sales imaginable as well, I still don't fully know what Nintendo was thinking there.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

C-SPAN Caller posted:

It had basically the worst sales imaginable as well, I still don't fully know what Nintendo was thinking there.

"Other M still has an impact on Metroid, which was never a top-selling IP. Next Level did us pretty good with that Luigi's Mansion sequel, surely another arcade-y take on a gamecube era title will provide ground swell for a full proper console Metroid."

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
How quickly we all forget Metroid Prime Hunters.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

How quickly we all forget Metroid Prime Hunters.

It was very good

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
If Federation Force came out during the DS era it would have attracted .01% of the hatred it did and probably would have done similar business to Hunters.

Other M hosed the series so hard that only a Retro helmed Prime 4 could save it at this point.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
im starting to lose hope for super mario world

so, when is super metroid coming? its would be perfect... for the switch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
You'll get the Snes classic pack of 30 games for $40 ($30 digital) and you'll probably want to preorder the SFC/SNES themed pro controller which also has a masturbation HD rumble mode

• Locked thread