Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi everybody, what's up

It's my birthday :confuoot:

I'm hoping it is a drama free day today. I don't need much else in life so if I can at least have that, I'll be "happy"

Happy Berf Day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
wait can i date hifumi because that seems like obvious best waifu aside from punk rock free clinic lady

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

precision posted:

wait can i date hifumi because that seems like obvious best waifu aside from punk rock free clinic lady

hifumi is really good, yeah

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bicyclops posted:

I just remembered I haven't finished Phantom Hourglass, I am going to play it.

get the hack that lets you use the dpad and buttons!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
speaking of punk rock free clinic lady, it's always weird/cool/interesting to me how western counterculture is used in japan, especially in japanese media. in a western game, the punk rock lady would at least talk about punk music or culture or something, but japan is a lot more transparent about how fashion doesn't define your personality (except when it does, but that's another whole issue with the culture)

it's a mixed blessing, because on the one hand, yeah why shouldn't a doctor at a clinic dress like that, but on the other hand, it feels totally meaningless - in her s.link you can't be all like "hey, i like your style, do you enjoy the music of guitar wolf?" and that sucks kinda

also gently caress giving girls the wrong gifts. irl and in persona 5.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/hurtdeer/status/868503767515267073

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Okuyasu grew up mean

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35zrB0udhik

The Phantom goddamn owns

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CJacobs posted:

The Phantom goddamn owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar6sEZoSRV8&t=496s

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God drat I love that guy. :allears:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

New CrowbCat video, this time comparing the E3 reveal of DOOM 2016 to the actual final release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU6uZW-wKuQ

It's a great watch for two reasons:
1.)People complain about game companies knowingly tarting up their E3 footage and then downgrading for the final game, but Doom was the one time someone was honest and the final game was actual an improvement and people unilaterally bitched and moaned about how poor it looked compared to games that lied and got ton of hype.
2.)When the game came out and was great one of the ways people tried to justify being wrong was saying that the early footage was slow and clunky compared to the final game, but CrowbCat shows them side by side and they are literally exactly the same gameplay and animations.

CrowbCat does good work

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Phantom could be either a super cool dude in person, or very obnoxious. I don't see how there could be a middle ground

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Happy birthday FirstAidKite, you're one of my favorite posters. :^)

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Phantom seems in the same vein as drdisrespect and that kicks rear end. Games need more characters.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Okay I beat Alan Wake and the "Special Features" DLCs

Folks make sure your plots can be self-contained just in case your sequel projects don't pan out!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It has always disappointed me that Alan Wake ends with a cliffhanger, which is resolved in the DLCs... only to be ended with another cliffhanger, which is then resolved in American Nightmare... only to be ended with another another cliffhanger.

They kept pushin' their luck and it caught up with them :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

The Phantom could be either a super cool dude in person, or very obnoxious. I don't see how there could be a middle ground

He's probably really cool honestly

nice to know that pro Tekken looks functionally identical to "bad netcode Soul Calibur" :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

CrowbCat does good work

That's kind of a selective retelling of events. People were down on DOOM not just for the solo gameplay demonstrations but also for the multiplayer beta, which was by all accounts Not Good and inexplicably what Bethesda decided to showcase in advance of release.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only thing higher concentration than the amount of cherry picking in CrowbCat's videos is vitamin C to orange juice, but they're still good

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Most of the people who play over the top gimmicks are generally extremely chill outside of games. It takes that self awareness to play it up effectively and make it funny in the first place.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CJacobs posted:

It has always disappointed me that Alan Wake ends with a cliffhanger, which is resolved in the DLCs... only to be ended with another cliffhanger, which is then resolved in American Nightmare... only to be ended with another another cliffhanger.

I'm only a few minutes into American Nightmare but it already seems a million times better than Alan Wake in almost every way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The gameplay is a massive step up and it makes the game a lot better right out of the gate. Try out the arcade mode when you feel like taking a break, it's great fun.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

All of the gameplay is a step up, but making the entire supporting cast sexy women was a pretty big step down.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mr Scratch is not a sexy woman

edit: He also steals the entire show and Alan Wake 2 should be about him, not Alan Wake, who is a big loser

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

tap my mountain posted:

All of the gameplay is a step up, but making the entire supporting cast sexy women was a pretty big step down.

Sounds good to me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
man i don't get youtube culture! yahtzee mumbling to his girlfriend while playing dark souls has like 10,000 people watching right now.

i mean poo poo if it will get more eyes on my videos i'll just give my wife the mic while i'm playing

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I can't believe that Jason Statham goes around calling himself The Phantom while owning fools in Tekken

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

man i don't get youtube culture! yahtzee mumbling to his girlfriend while playing dark souls has like 10,000 people watching right now.

i mean poo poo if it will get more eyes on my videos i'll just give my wife the mic while i'm playing

for this to work, there's a presupposition that the internet at large knows what both of you look like and wants to gently caress at least one of you

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

I can't believe that Jason Statham goes around calling himself The Phantom while owning fools in Tekken

Vin Diesel

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I think my brain is broken, all I think of when I hear The Phantom is John Turturro

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

They probably knew since American Nightmare ends with something that serves as a decent ending (Alan's evil twin is defeated, and he steps into the real world to be with his wife... or does he???) but has enough mystery to it that it can easily work as a cliffhanger for a sequel.

Also, the entire supporting cast being women makes sense when you consider the manuscripts by Alan about feeling guilty that he was a piece of poo poo to his wife during their relationship before the first game.

GUI fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 27, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

I think my brain is broken, all I think of when I hear The Phantom is John Turturro

I think of the Billy Zane movie from the 90s.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think of the surprisingly not terrible SNES game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Enter the Gungeon hasn't gotten boring to me yet and I haven't even unlocked any of the secrets aside from the troll shopkeeper

I just put on Spotify and zone out, I think I love it because it's like an 80s arcade game and I've got infinite tokens

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

precision posted:

Enter the Gungeon hasn't gotten boring to me yet and I haven't even unlocked any of the secrets aside from the troll shopkeeper

I just put on Spotify and zone out, I think I love it because it's like an 80s arcade game and I've got infinite tokens

If I think too hard about that game some things about the balance and the slow pace kinda piss me off, but I agree, it's a go-to game for me to chill out and attempt a few runs before bed. Dodging bullets is cathartic somehow..

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I beat Chrono Cross again.

I forgot how poorly told the story was, considering they're just pretty much text dumps at the two or three major areas in the game.

Also calling Kid "clone-daughter" repeatedly in dialog.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Picked up keys in American Nightmare and suddenly I'm off to the next map before I finished exploring the current one without any warning.

Games, don't do that.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Are there any other cool mystery solving games/VNs like these Sherlock Holmes games that I might have missed out on (I've played all the Ace Attorneys/Laytons/LA Noire/Ghost Trick if that counts/Hotel Dusk/Last Window/Zero Escape series)

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

precision posted:

Not to undermine your point, but would "I haven't unlocked any of the secrets yet" signify that you haven't played a whole lot of it, which doesn't counter "hasn't gotten boring yet" at all?

Help Im Alive posted:

Are there any other cool mystery solving games/VNs like these Sherlock Holmes games that I might have missed out on (I've played all the Ace Attorneys/Laytons/LA Noire/Ghost Trick if that counts/Hotel Dusk/Last Window/Zero Escape series)

Hatoful Boyfriend :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

The Poirot game that came out last year (The ABC Murders) tried to do a similar thing to the last two Sherlock Holmes games but wasn't nearly as good, might be worth trying if you find it for cheap though, goes on sale fairly regularly.

• Locked thread