Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

purple death ray posted:

2016 sticking its head back in the door just for a little bit

Although 89 isn't really a age where you say "taken before his time" like the 2016 reaping was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol if you didn't realize 2016 is the new normal

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I like comics.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Lightning Lord posted:

I like comics.

Me too!!!!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

I like comics.

They're okay I guess

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The IDW Judge Anderson comic was bad

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
I highly recommend the Comic Book Museum in Brussels to anyone who is ever in Brussels.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightning Lord posted:

I like comics.

NEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Teenage Fansub posted:

Love Is Love was added on to the Eisner Best Anthology nominations after everyone told them that basing release dates on Amazon listings is pretty dumb.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05/03/love-love-now-added-2017-eisner-awards-nominations/

That was such a good book, I kept having to put it down because I was crying

Guy Goodbody posted:

The IDW Judge Anderson comic was bad

I tried the new judge dredd and him in a western setting is cool but the drawings dont look gritty enough, they're more cartoonish, plus the split story every other page didn't really interest me.

Anyway, manowar 3 is cool, and I picked up some new comic called Grrl Scouts because it looked very punk.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Grrl Scouts let me down. Mahfood's art has gotten really scratchy in a way I'm not terribly fond of. And I say this as someone who has one of his prints hanging in his apartment.

Basically this:

Grrl Scouts: Work Sucks #2 (2003)

vs this:

Grrl Scouts: Magic Socks #1 (2017)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Don't worry, once you get to the third season, he's voiced by Joey from Full House.

Also Egon is the Brain.

Also, don't be scared of Janine's pointy glasses, they fix that at that point too. (They actually got network notes telling them that kids were scared by sharp things so Janine needed to have round frames. Also that she needed to be redesigned to dress less "slutty" and not argue or trade quips with the guys.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

Also, don't be scared of Janine's pointy glasses, they fix that at that point too. (They actually got network notes telling them that kids were scared by sharp things so Janine needed to have round frames. Also that she needed to be redesigned to dress less "slutty" and not argue or trade quips with the guys.)

You're making me very sad.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
slutty, sharp, argumentative women are the best

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Oh that was the same janine? I remember as a kid thinking they got a new secretary

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
JMS quit over that network interference and only came back on condition he be allowed to fix what they'd done to Janine, so he wrote an episode where the 'nice' Janine turns out to be because she had a genie change her to try and make Egon like her more.

It's worth looking up some of the stuff from the Real Ghostbusters DVD set to see the production team talk about it and there's articles online about the group ABC hired to help them improve their kids' lineup (Q5).

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 25, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm especially confused because, at least so far, it's not like Janine is a completely done-with-it buzzkill like in the movies. She's just kind of sassy and scolds the Ghostbusters sometimes for being slobs or overworking her, but overall she's just enthusiastic and likes hanging out with Slimer.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Was Louis ever in the show or was he just movie thing?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Guy Goodbody posted:

slutty, sharp, argumentative women are the best

Silent, invisible men are also pretty amazing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

Was Louis ever in the show or was he just movie thing?

They added him in the last season, maybe the second to last.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Having restored Janine to her sluttiness, JMS wept and left children's animation, knowing there were new lands to conquer. As he tearfully raised a middle finger to his coworkers who he neglected to tell about his departure and were expecting scripts (and his share of the office coffee/snack fund) from him that Monday, he mouthed to himself, "Never... Surrender... Dreams..."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

JMS wrote for some Canadian show based off that toyline where the screen would flash and it'd interact with the toys. Captain something or other. One of the last episodes has one of the characters sacrifice herself to save everyone else. JMS drew from an experience where his friend killed herself while on the phone with him.

That's how I ruined my day by wiki'ing a toy I saw advertised in a 80's Spider-Man book.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

JMS wrote for some Canadian show based off that toyline where the screen would flash and it'd interact with the toys. Captain something or other. One of the last episodes has one of the characters sacrifice herself to save everyone else. JMS drew from an experience where his friend killed herself while on the phone with him.

That's how I ruined my day by wiki'ing a toy I saw advertised in a 80's Spider-Man book.

Captain Power.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's like the time I spent 6 hours on the phone unsuccessfully trying to prevent a father of two from killing himself.

Weirdly enough I have yet to put that in a script for a children's property.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'll just be happy when you're known for more than just complaining about stuff.

I'll still make fun of JMS's Superman, but he got a lot of sympathy from me out of a show hardly anyone heard of.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

That's like the time I spent 6 hours on the phone unsuccessfully trying to prevent a father of two from killing himself.

At least he didnt kill the kids too. Was he a friend or did you work a hotline?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

got any sevens posted:

At least he didnt kill the kids too. Was he a friend or did you work a hotline?

Someone in IRC told me someone in another chatroom they hang out in was talking about killing themselves and I was the only person awake who wasn't like a burnt-out druggie so they figured I could try and do something.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Well get on it already!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Open Marriage Night posted:

I'll just be happy when you're known for more than just complaining about stuff.

Why on earth would this be your response to that.

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry, I've been in similar positions (with both better outcomes and similar outcomes) and no matter how it turns out it's nightmarish to feel the responsibility for somebody else's life being put onto your shoulders. One of the absolute worst moments of my life was waffling on whether or not to reach out to a friend I was worried about (she hadn't said anything explicitly about suicide or self-harm but I knew she wasn't doing well and was sort of isolating herself from friends/family), sending a long e-mail of support and commiseration to them at 1:30 in the morning, then waking up the next day to find out she'd hung herself just after midnight.

For what it's worth there are lots of people who wouldn't have done what you did, and as someone who's also been in that position with no idea what to say I'm grateful to you for trying.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Endless Mike posted:

Grrl Scouts let me down. Mahfood's art has gotten really scratchy in a way I'm not terribly fond of. And I say this as someone who has one of his prints hanging in his apartment.

Basically this:

Grrl Scouts: Work Sucks #2 (2003)

vs this:

Grrl Scouts: Magic Socks #1 (2017)

i can't stop looking at the shoulders.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How did WB get away with making such a good cartoon like JLU? I thought I had nostalgia goggles for it but it's genuinely well done and the voice acting is stellar.
Like the episode where Circe turns Wonder Woman into a pig is genuinely and intentionally funny while the overall plot of the first season is super interesting and well developed

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really enjoyed going back and watching JLA/U, but it made me sad because I watched it right after Superman, and I saw the slow transition from BTAS style classic animation to digital animation in the JLU era and man, it's really night and day.

I felt similarly sad when the JLA intro and musical motif got changed for GuitarRiff3 from free music samples dot com.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I really enjoyed going back and watching JLA/U, but it made me sad because I watched it right after Superman, and I saw the slow transition from BTAS style classic animation to digital animation in the JLU era and man, it's really night and day.

I felt similarly sad when the JLA intro and musical motif got changed for GuitarRiff3 from free music samples dot com.

JLU's buttrock theme and incidental music was like, the second best part of the show

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Patton Oswalt posted about this on Twitter and I thought I'd share it for those who care about indy comics

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1859912366/kilgore-books-and-comics-2017-spring-line?ref=project_tweet

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Had totally forgotten how JLU did use the Super Friends C-Listers in a super cool way

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

JLA had the worst intro of any of the DCAU shows.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I mean the CG was ugly but the theme song and the characters walking heroically towards the screen was classic as hell and perfectly encapsulated what the show was about.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrlYxTA0Wn4

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I know that's technically a Batman Beyond spin-off, but you know what I loving meant.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One of the least subtle backdoor pilots I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I mostly post it because I don't understand anything about The Zeta Project.

• Locked thread