Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like I was already clear? If he wasn't making poo poo up they tried to forcefully detain him over their own mistake, people using unlawful force against you is like literally the one clear case of it being okay to escalate force yourself.

Of course, he probably was making stuff up as there are alternatives to detaining an entire restaurant when your cc reader goes down. The reality is his card got declined and then he pulled out his gun.

Are you loving kidding me?

But yeah, there's a pretty good chance that it's a fake one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

fruit on the bottom posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

But yeah, there's a pretty good chance that it's a fake one.

I didn't realize "you should be able to respond with whatever force necessary to free yourself from people illegally holding you hostage" was a controversial viewpoint, but yeah that particular story is fake.

But I mean that's prolly the point of the story, they're making up a fake scenario so people can get in a dumb gun argument.

fwiw i am mostly anti private ownership of firearms that aren't for hunting.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I can believe a dumb chain restaurant manager in some podunk shithole on a power trip would do something like that, but the whole story is just a little too perfect. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the tale of gunfucker magoo owning himself over and over again.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

quote:

I spoke with a 2A attorney today but he refused to represent in my criminal charges and my suit. He said I would need a different attorney for my lawsuits.
I've spoken to several local attorneys but none will take my case and suit without payment upfront.
I have sent emails to a couple second amendment advocacy groups and the ACLU hoping that my story would get some traction. I'm also going to down to the local news station tomorrow and try to talk to someone.
I'll keep everyone updated on how that goes.

Either it's fake as hell (it is) or he's leaving out incredibly important details to make himself look better

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Just pointing out that the Pancake Avenger stated he goes to that IHOP almost every day so:

1.) lol
2.) I bet there are more than a few staff there who knew who he is and that he's nuttier than squirrel poo poo

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
for spoilers I've already googled it and to get contracts with visa etc you have to be able to offer offline options. The scenario simply would not have happened as is.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 28, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

for spoilers I've already googled it and to get contracts with visa etc you have to be able to offer offline options. The scenario simply would not have happened as is and if it did the dude would be in the right.

To get contracts w visa at one point you had to promise not to charge a CC fee or minimum purchase size but many places did.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Is it illegal to take pictures of another person when they are out in public and to have a blog reporting where they are going/what they are doing?

quote:

My cousin is in trouble with the cops for this but I don't think he is doing anything illegal and I want to know if I'm wrong. He made a blog about this girl he used to date and when she went out he would take pictures of her in public places only and then report on the blog where she went and what she did. For example: Jenny drove to get gas, Jenny went to Starbucks and got coffee, Jenny got to work at 9am, Jenny left work at 5pm etc. He never contacted Jenny in any way and he only takes photos of her when she is in public. I get that it's probably creepy, but is anything about what he did illegal under California law? Jenny is over 18 and there is no restraining order or court order forbidding him to stay away from her.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

I didn't realize "you should be able to respond with whatever force necessary to free yourself from people illegally holding you hostage" was a controversial viewpoint, but yeah that particular story is fake.

lol, an unarmed man grabbing your arm and warning you not to dine and dash is a hostage situation now. It's a good thing he had his concealed carry permit, otherwise they would have had to send in a SWAT team to rescue him :ohdear: He was very obviously in no danger, the idea that drawing a gun was appropriate or legal is pure NRA masturbatory fantasy.

Not that it matters, story is 110% fake.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

dudeness posted:

Is it illegal to take pictures of another person when they are out in public and to have a blog reporting where they are going/what they are doing?

Stalking is Very Bad

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Stalking is Very Bad

But is it illegal?🤔

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ArbitraryC posted:

But I mean that's prolly the point of the story, they're making up a fake scenario so people can get in a dumb gun argument.

fwiw i am mostly anti private ownership of firearms that aren't for hunting.

Mr. Bauer, this is an IHOP cash register.

I agree the guy is almost certainly misrepresenting events, but even as he presents them, pulling a gun is the act of a mental disordered person. Someone standing between you and the door is not a kidnapping. You should not feel at liberty to use "whatever force necessary" when your negotiations with waitstaff break down.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

ArbitraryC posted:

It's a fake story because there are like infinity alternatives that would happen when a cc reader went down before "okay we're holding the entire restaurant hostage" so I dunno why you're even bothering to discuss it but yeah if they illegally tried to forcefully detain him he should be within his rights to escalate force. There are literally laws on this, if they have the logo on the door they have to come up with alternative (re: manual) measures to cover the card, they can't hold you hostage for cash when it's their mistake.

But again that didn't happen cause that scenario would never happen, dude was high on meth and when his bill came around his cc bounced so he pulled out his gun, threatened people, and ran away. Or the entire story is made up, dealer's choice.

Yo, you're only allowed to escalate with reasonable force. Hand on arm gives you the right to maybe force a dude (kick, shove, punch, etc.) away, not draw a gun.

You're right in that it's the restaurant's responsibility to have available the methods for payment they advertise and that refusing to let someone leave like they did could be false imprisonment, but brandishing as a response to someone grabbing your arm is definitely illegal.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Charles Get-Out posted:

Yo, you're only allowed to escalate with reasonable force. Hand on arm gives you the right to maybe force a dude (kick, shove, punch, etc.) away, not draw a gun.

You're right in that it's the restaurant's responsibility to have available the methods for payment they advertise and that refusing to let someone leave like they did could be false imprisonment, but brandishing as a response to someone grabbing your arm is definitely illegal.

not if it is recognized as false imprisonment?

I mean yeah idealy if this actually happened dude should just wait for cops to show up but lets be real this is america and you absolutely can get away with waving a gun around if someone else "started it". It's not like he shot anyone he just responded to their threat with his own. If zimmerman got off I'm p sure this guy could if things went down as written.

e: think about it this way, once physical restrictions were already established what would be "reasonable" force? We dunno this dude's weight or the managers weight, maybe a weapon is the ony way he could assert his rights. He didn't use the force he just threatened it in response to unlawful force against him. There's a p clear distinction.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 28, 2017

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

ArbitraryC posted:

not if it is recognized as false imprisonment?

I mean yeah idealy if this actually happened dude should just wait for cops to show up but lets be real this is america and you absolutely can get away with waving a gun around if someone else "started it". It's not like he shot anyone he just responded to their threat with his own. If zimmerman got off I'm p sure this guy could if things went down as written.

No, you can't get away with it. Even if it is false imprisonment.

Zimmerman got off because the jury bought the prosecution's argument that Trayvon was using deadly force against Zimmerman and thus Zimmerman's use of deadly force in self defense was justified.

In that case, the prosecution convinced the jury that Trayvon was beating Zimmerman in the head and practically curbstomping him.

quote:

e: think about it this way, once physical restrictions were already established what would be "reasonable" force? We dunno this dude's weight or the managers weight, maybe a weapon is the ony way he could assert his rights. He didn't use the force he just threatened it in response to unlawful force against him. There's a p clear distinction.

I already told you what would be reasonable force in the reddit scenario. Dude doesn't get to draw his gun unless the manager starts beating him, draws a knife, draws a gun, etc.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 28, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I guess we will never know because there's never been a case of someone being illegally detained in response to a businesses failing to provide the payment options available where the person then tried to fight back in order to leave.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

ArbitraryC posted:

I guess we will never know because there's never been a case of someone being illegally detained in response to a businesses failing to provide the payment options available.

You aren't an actual expert on the law here.

Do you want me to fax you my bar card or will my diploma suffice?

edit: "fighting back" would have been fine, but the guy did not just "fight back." He pulled a deadly weapon.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I actually wrote a law review article once lmfao

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Charles Get-Out posted:

Do you want me to fax you my bar card or will my diploma suffice?

edit: "fighting back" would have been fine, but the guy did not just "fight back." He pulled a deadly weapon.
Is there actual case law on a dude trying to leave a mcdonalds after their cc servers go down?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I feel like the exact same conversation was had the last time the IHOP Gunman story was posted

possibly by the exact same people as well

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

Is there actual case law on a dude trying to leave a mcdonalds after their cc servers go down?

It's probably excessive but a jury might buy it if you weren't a meth smoking weirdo who returned to the scene of the crime

CharlestonJew posted:

I feel like the exact same conversation was had the last time the IHOP Gunman story was posted

Time is a flat circle

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

ArbitraryC posted:

I guess we will never know because there's never been a case of someone being illegally detained in response to a businesses failing to provide the payment options available where the person then tried to fight back in order to leave.

nice edit lmao

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I am 100% not trying to be snarky, I legit think pulling a gun out in that situation is unacceptable and am largely against personal firearm ownership for self defense (rather than hunting or sport). I just think if this literal case came down to an actual court a dude (or perhaps more importantly, a woman) using a gun to say they don't want to be held against their will in an illegal manner, but not shooting anyone, would fall in a p grey area that would boil down to an individual trial and when I originally googled around about this there was nothing similar.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

I am 100% not trying to be snarky, I legit think pulling a gun out in that situation is unacceptable and am largely against personal firearm ownership for self defense (rather than hunting or sport). I just think if this literal case came down to an actual court a dude (or perhaps more importantly, a woman) using a gun to say they don't want to be held against their will in an illegal manner, but not shooting anyone, would fall in a p grey area that would boil down to an individual trial and when I originally googled around about this there was nothing similar.

K

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

ArbitraryC posted:

There's case law on everything, this is America.

CharlestonJew posted:

I don't think I've read this story or had this particular conversation before.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Charles Get-Out posted:

Probably only need Florida to cover like 99% of case law.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Charles Get-Out posted:

I'd legit enjoy to see when this happened for real. Is there a good link or something?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

ArbitraryC posted:

I'd legit enjoy to see when this happened for real. Is there a good link or something?

I've been poking around, but I'm mostly turning up cases of what is reasonable force to resist unlawful arrest by a police officer.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Charles Get-Out posted:

I've been poking around, but I'm mostly turning up cases of what is reasonable force to resist unlawful arrest by a police officer.

np I really didn't mean any disrespect, I initially edited that snarky response even before you said you were a lawyer cause I wasn't trying to be that confrontational over a fake story. If you're bored and find something go ahead and post it, it's in the flavor of this thread either way.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

ArbitraryC posted:

np I really didn't mean any disrespect, I initially edited that snarky response even before you said you were a lawyer cause I wasn't trying to be that confrontational over a fake story. If you're bored and find something go ahead and post it, it's in the flavor of this thread either way.

It's not a problem. I don't think I'm going to be able to find anything post-able that makes an interesting read as I'm more the legislative-bill-scrubbing variety & my old casebooks are actual books; can cite statutes and model penal code though :v:

Anyways, an interesting read in 3 acts:
I'm [18M] meeting up with a guy [36M] for "cuddles and fun". Anything I should know going in to this?

Act I posted:

So this will be the first time I've ever done anything sort-of sexual/relationship-y, so I understand I'm completely naive.
I messaged him on Grindr abot a week ago and we've talked a fair bit. He has a bf the same age as me but he says I don't have to meet him and I don't particularly want to.
We've exchanged pics (including... non-innocent ones) and he's really hot. Like, exactly what I'm looking for and he seems interested in me too.
So yeah, I should be going to his house today to cuddle and stuff. I know that there is a large age difference (double my age lol), but he's agreed we'll basically be FWB. He says he's really into kissing/cuddling which I am too, so that's perfect. I understand that things will go further than that when I meet him, which I'm ok with also. He's also fine with me being completely inexperienced which I am so glad.
But yeah, is there anything that I should know beforehand? Thanks.
tl;dr: Meeting with an older guy for cuddles, he's not a creep, anything I should know?

Act II posted:

edit: Thank you for the advice. I'm sorry I'm ignoring the main one which is "don't go you loving idiot". I'm pretty sure you guys are the voice of reason.. It might be extremely loving stupid of me, but I am planning to go. Here's my plan:
If he says to meet him today, I'll ask to meet with him at a cafe. If he says no or doesn't agree to another public place, I won't go.
I'll ask for his address in person. If I go to his house, I'll text my location to my flat mate. Obviously if the address and location are different, I'll nope the gently caress out of that.
I'll always keep my phone on/near me.
I've never bought condoms before, but I have a condom packet and lube, so I'll take them. I don't want to do... penetration? If he tries to pressure me into it I'll leave. If he doesn't have condoms, I'll leave.
I'll remind him again in person that I want to go slow and not to pressure me into anything, Even if it means jack poo poo, I'll do it if only to reassure me I guess. Obviously if he doesn't agree I'll leave.
I know the absolute safest/sanest thing to do is not to meet with a guy who's literally double my age, but I'm going to do it. I'm sorry. I don't know why, but I'm genuinely not interested in guys my age.
Honestly, thank you and everyone else for the advice. Lets hope it goes ok..

And the TWIST UPDATE

Act III posted:

Absolutely noped the gently caress outta there. Cheers guys.
Welp, you guys were right - he was a creep. I'm not going to meet him because - shock horror! - he was lying/not 100% truthful with me.
A few hours ago I got a message from the guy (Ray) saying he can meet up with me today after he's done with work. At that point, I was so excited - finally, I'm able to meet this guy and do everything I was longing to! I asked him where and when and while I was waiting I decided to casually just scroll through grindr to look at pics he's sent me.
Turns out I got a message from his boyfriend (Ryan) thanking me for contributing to them breaking up. At this point, my immediate thought was "nicolas cage dammit..". After talking with Ryan for a bit it turns out that 'surprisingly' Ray hadn't told Ryan about me, and Ryan had only consented/agreed to Ray talking with someone only. Then that I said I wanted to meet up with both of them which I explicitly said the opposite to..
Ryan pretty much said what you guys were saying - that he'll forget me after a couple times, that he's a dick etc.
So yeah. Turns out he was a lying cheating shitbag. And apparently he's HIV positive which I was not told about.
I told my flat mate about this and his only response was "Leave. Get the gently caress out. This situation is going too far.", which I had to reluctantly agree with. I gotta say if the only person who I could tell that wouldn't instantly judge me about it is telling me to run, I probably should run.
So yeah, I sent screenshots to Ryan and he said he's broken up with him. Ray basically said "why did you show proof of my cheating on Ryan to Ryan this is all your fault" - lol, I wasn't the one who cheated/lied to his bf multiple times.
Ray started to blame me for ruining his relationship (even calling me a "little jealous fag") and started ranting about how Ryan was suicidal and had OD'd on pills and how he was taking him to get his stomach pumped and at this point I just blocked everyone on everything. I'm not proud of it, but I was honestly terrified.. I think that might have been a lie though, because when I was talking to Ryan he didn't come across that way.
I need to take some time to reevaluate what the gently caress is wrong with me. Again, thank you all for your help.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want to send this guy one of those screaming letters from Harry Potter that's just 800 copies of the sentence "WHY DO YOU NEED SECOND OPINIONS ON WHETHER YOU SHOULD LEAVE WHEN SOMEONE WITHHOLDS THAT THEY ARE HIV POSITIVE FROM YOU?"

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

No way is that normal levels of brain function for an 18 year old.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

No way is that normal levels of brain function for an 18 year old.

Refusing any and all advice in the face of having sex but realizing maybe they should ask put in a token ask puts them squarely in the top 10% of 18 year olds with Grindr profiles.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

"I reluctantly left" :downs:

That dude has the mind of a robot vacuum cleaner.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 28, 2017

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

Depends on the state but in most cases that's an open and shut case of brandishing.

Typical rule of thumb for concealed carry is that the gun doesn't leave the holster unless you're very sure you have to use it. If you're that interested look up some example cases of brandishing convictions and you're liable to see a bunch of people getting dinged for being as dumbass like that guy.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

chumbler posted:

Probably only need Florida to cover like 99% of case law.
Floridaman shot like, 8 people, and got away with it.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

ArbitraryC posted:

this one has been posted before and tbh I almost feel bad for the guy cause assuming it was not a meth filled dreamsequence then I legit feel like he was mostly in the right in the encounter itself. Not his fault their cc readers were down and an "average person" would assume they were able to pay with cards if it said so at the establishment, most people don't really carry cash nowadays so it would be p unreasonable for them to try and detain him when he was offering valid payment over something that was entirely their fault.

otoh I believe most companies have backup systems where they just take the numbers of your cc and charge later so the story is either fake or the dude waving around a gun at ihop is lying about the events.

There is no way the IHOP part of the story is true. Here's how I imagine it actually went down:
"Sorry our ATM is temporarily offline, if you don't have cash you can wait a short time and it should be right back"
*Mumbles something incoherently*
"Sorry what was that sir?"
*Turns and walks towards the door"
"Sir? Sir????" * Briefly touches shoulder to get his attention"
*Draws Glock 23 9mm*

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

abigserve posted:

There is no way the IHOP part of the story is true. Here's how I imagine it actually went down:
"Sorry our ATM is temporarily offline, if you don't have cash you can wait a short time and it should be right back"
*Mumbles something incoherently*
"Sorry what was that sir?"
*Turns and walks towards the door"
"Sir? Sir????" * Briefly touches shoulder to get his attention"
*Draws Glock 23 9mm*

The Glock 23 is in .40S&W jfc do your research dude GOD

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
My [41M] parents [60s] are accusing me of bad parenting of daughter [18F] for a ridiculous reason

quote:

This started last weekend when my parents were visiting. At one point my daughter said she had a preference for black men and my parents seemed disturbed.

They accused me of not teaching her good values, of letting her watch the wrong things on TV, hang out with the wrong crowd, etc. They blamed me for not taking her to church, and that I need to watch Joel Osteen with her.

I got them to stop talking about it, but they brought it up again the next day when she wasn't in the room and drilled me on her TV viewing habits, saying that if I had BET I need to cancel it now.

Last Thursday my mom called me and asked me if I had done any of the things she had instructed me to do. I told her to let it go and we ended the conversation. Now I'm wondering how I should respond if they try to bring it up again.

tl;dr: My racist parents don't want my daughter to like black guys. What do I tell them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

maskenfreiheit posted:

one nice thing about europe is you can get an overnight train to pretty much anywhere pretty cheap, he should ditch his friend and finish the trip alone

Uhhh not the part of Europe known as Britain which is apparently where he is. Trains are expensive here.