Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Predicting the election is dumb, the polls are the best guideline we have. Pretty sure making a prediction myself would undermine my own opinion.

Can we at least agree on the prediction that Labour will lose the election?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

God forbid the guy having the same slapfight with pissflaps daily looks dumb! Commit to an arbitrary set of numbers and lets do this.

Mine are 32% and con majority of 5 :)

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Namtab posted:

God forbid the guy having the same slapfight with pissflaps daily looks dumb! Commit to an arbitrary set of numbers and lets do this.

Mine are 32% and con majority of 5 :)

If Labour get 32% the Tories will have a much larger majority than 5.

Also Diane Abbott is going on Marr tomorrow with Amber Rudd. I'm not sure this is a good strategy.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

jabby posted:

If Labour get 32% the Tories will have a much larger majority than 5.

Don't forget about the #libdemfightback!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

jabby posted:

Predicting the election is dumb, the polls are the best guideline we have. Pretty sure making a prediction myself would undermine my own opinion.

Yeah man that's a real danger good call!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

namesake posted:

There's also

They are very very willing to accept Single Market/Customs Union for as long as it takes to not be a disaster to leave.

They also promise

So if negotiations are a total shitshow, presumably there's another vote to basically try and renege on Article 50.

There's no "try" involved. It's already been ruled that Article 50 can be revoked at the end of the negotiating period, but that anyone trying it should expect penalties so as to prevent countries trying to use "take our ball" negotiation tactics. I would expect these penalties to take the form of paying everyone's costs and not being allowed to invoke the article again within a given period, rather than anything punitive or substantive.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

33% Lab
34% Con

and hung parliament. resolved by Timmy doing a Clegg.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mister Adequate posted:

33% Lab
34% Con

and hung parliament. resolved by Timmy doing a Clegg.

I admire your optimism, man.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Any new polls?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

tithin posted:

Any new polls?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Hah

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Thanks for that, nice to have a bit of backstory to follow when the horrors of election night are upon us

Rakosi posted:

I dunno mate, going back in time to kill hitler is a pretty popular fantasy trope in pop culture.

That doesn't mean one agrees in principle with killing people before they commit a crime. I happen to like the idea of that Manchester bomb landing on al-Baghdadi. It isn't a more complicated thought or comment than that and I wouldn't read into it too much.

Yo the difference is that nobody's actually going back to Hitler times so it doesn't matter, whereas people cheerleading revenge bombing is a bad thing because it has actual consequences

Side effects of bantz include:

• a more jingoistic tone in society exploited by right-wing shitheads
  • sympathy/demand for the kind of military intervention that's fuelling this whole problem
  • propaganda value and the potential for Manchester to become a symbolic enemy and focus for future attacks, especially if that bomb kills any civilians (or any bomb at all since they can claim it's that one)

It's one thing to go "haha I wish they'd drop a signed bomb on that guy's face", it's another to see they're actually doing it for real and go "what a great a idea this is gonna be hilarious". It's dumb as hell and the kind of thing the Sun furiously jerks off over

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 28, 2017

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Thanks, I appreciate your NI updates.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Barry Foster posted:

I admire your optimism, man.

Ah but you see the country coming so close to salvation before having it snatched away by a Second Liberal Betrayal would be the ultimate repudiation of optimism.

e;

This is helpful and very interesting. Will the GE results have any/much effect on the ballix in Stormont? Or is that all down to the Assembly and, thus, currently undertaking a wee pre-Brexit preview of oncoming doom?

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 28, 2017

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
youch

may is going to want to roll heads over the dementia tax messaging. it's like the bedroom tax reception. in both cases there is an obvious failure to get proponent groups on board first - it allows the principle that "wealthier people should pay more", which Polls and Focus's well, to be washed out by the specifics

ronya fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 28, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm surprised tuition fees are high on the labour one but I suppose it's an easy policy to remember.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
it's disproportionately most interesting to those most likely to have heard of any policies at all (only 60% of yougov's weighted participants, it seems), which is what you have to be to be given this question

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Namtab posted:

Turns out its going to be me that makes the spreadsheet then. Not quite how I intended this to go but very well.

goddamnedtwisto is already doing it but better because there are ~stakes~

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BobbyThompson posted:

CON: 352
LAB: 256
LD: 6
Other: 36

Charity: http://manncat.com/

Got it, but can people remember to quote a post of mine so it gets highlighted? I do tend to skim the thread when it gets a bit like it did last night...

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
They have released cctv pictures of the bomber and surprise, surprise he is a complete nerd.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/27/police-release-pictures-of-manchester-bomber

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Have some election material that I got through my door yesterday

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ookiimarukochan posted:

it's okay, you dont have to pretend - we support your candidacy

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ookiimarukochan posted:

That's like the third :tinfoil: reference to Chatham House I've seen in the last couple of months - are Bilderberg and the Trilateral Commission out of fashion now?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

ookiimarukochan posted:

Someone posted that yesterday! Please rectify his mistake and show us what's overleaf.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

OwlFancier posted:

I'm surprised tuition fees are high on the labour one but I suppose it's an easy policy to remember.

I take you have never been around youngs who start screeching that their parents got free Uni while they get lumped with debt for studying at Uni

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

There's no "try" involved. It's already been ruled that Article 50 can be revoked at the end of the negotiating period, but that anyone trying it should expect penalties so as to prevent countries trying to use "take our ball" negotiation tactics. I would expect these penalties to take the form of paying everyone's costs and not being allowed to invoke the article again within a given period, rather than anything punitive or substantive.

I don't think there's a single part of this post that's grounded in reality. There's been no 'ruling' on the reversibility of article 50 - the EU's response to our invocation of it included the statement that it is. The existence of any penalties for doing so and what these penalties might be are just something you've made up. Bizarre.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
Who's Tim? More than half of voters do not know who Tim Farron is

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/26/tim-half-voters-do-not-know-tim-farron/

quote:

Fewer than half of the public know who Tim Farron is, according to a new poll.

The leader of the Liberal Democrats has travelled thousands of miles on his yellow battle bus across the length and breadth of Britain trying to convince voters to back his party.

He has been photographed in a hover craft on a beach, he has had a row with a Leave voter and taken part in a fun run in full view of the ever present television cameras.

Yet the party's poll rating has barely moved and now a new survey of people by the pollsters Opinium has found that 52 per cent of voters cannot name the Lib Dem leader.

The study also found that nearly one in five people in Britain do not know Theresa May is the leader of the Conservative party.

It also revealed that 12 per cent of those surveyed couldn’t correctly identify Jeremy Corbyn as Labour leader.

Ed Fulton, political trading spokesman for Sporting Index, said: “Theresa May, Jeremy Corbyn and Tim Farron have spent big to make sure they are as recognisable as possible, but according to our research, a large percentage of the population still don’t know who they are.

"This could indicate an apathy from the British public to politics, or that the likes of May, Corbyn and Farron simply aren’t charismatic enough to be remembered."

It came as Mr Farron said the Manchester Arena bombing should not be "politicised" for election gain.

He called for communities to come together in the wake of the atrocity as he urged political leaders to resist the temptation to exploit what had happened.

He told the Press Association: "This is not a time for us to be pointing the finger.

"It is very tempting, isn't it, for politicians to try and score points and to make some political capital, and it's important to resist that temptation."

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Labour will win.

Because I want them to.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Who's Tim? More than half of voters do not know who Tim Farron is

I heard a thing on the radio a while back where they interviewed a load of leavers together about the election and then a load of remainers. In the remainers section they had a load of labour voters and a load of people that had voted lib dem previously.

Two of the previously lib dem voting ones didn't know who farron was and didn't even seem particularly embarrassed that they didn't. These were (by the sound of it) people in their 30s/40s with decent jobs.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Cerebral Bore posted:

Wouldn't this imply that Labour is not in fact completely committed to ending free movement?
They've straight up said they want to:

quote:

LONDON — A Labour government would bring an end to freedom of movement from the EU, the party’s shadow Brexit secretary confirmed.
Their manifesto uses weaselly language to try to skirt around this but ending free movement means no single market, which means a harder Brexit than even Vote Leave were officially calling for.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Zephro posted:

I'm guessing you quoted the headline rather than just quoting Kier Starmer because this is the article where he correctly stated that freedom of movement would end if we left the single market, and didn't actually lay out any policy?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

what could have been...

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/868661862665269248

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ed's been having a loving ball since he resigned. It's adorable, to be honest.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Ed's been having a loving ball since he resigned. It's adorable, to be honest.

TBF I think anybody would like to unwind after having to live in backstab central for four and a half years.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Praseodymi posted:

I'm guessing you quoted the headline rather than just quoting Kier Starmer because this is the article where he correctly stated that freedom of movement would end if we left the single market, and didn't actually lay out any policy?

Freedom of movement will end when we leave the European Union. - Labour manifesto, page 28

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

Their manifesto uses weaselly language to try to skirt around this but ending free movement means no single market, which means a harder Brexit than even Vote Leave were officially calling for.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Freedom of movement will end when we leave the European Union. - Labour manifesto, page 28

I think you all might be mistaking the descriptive for the normative again.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Cerebral Bore posted:

I think you all might be mistaking the descriptive for the normative again.

No, just reading a completely unambiguous policy commitment as a completely unambiguous policy commitment.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
How much nuance do you have to huff to not be able to pretend that Labour are pro hard Brexit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

All the stuff about keeping the benefits of single market access, not accepting 'no deal' situations; wanting transition arrangements, etc.

Seems very clear.

• Locked thread