Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Fighting games are great rentals if you can swing that. It looks to have a cool story mode at least. There was a tournament that streamed today that made it look fun, and tutorials have gotten a lot better for fighting games in the past couple of years (with the exception of Street Fighter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Macarius Wrench posted:

I played through the entirety of Fallout 3 on the 360 and yet the utter jank of 4 on the PS4 was enough to put me of after a handful of hours.

I keep saying ill go back to it and then I remember the base building gimmick and, just no.

You must've been ridiculously unlucky because F4 runs way better than F3 ever did on consoles, to say nothing of FNV

Having said that, boarding a vertibird has been the cause of like eight out of the ten crashes I've experienced on PS4

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

You must've been ridiculously unlucky because F4 runs way better than F3 ever did on consoles, to say nothing of FNV

Having said that, boarding a vertibird has been the cause of like eight out of the ten crashes I've experienced on PS4

Seriously. FO4 runs better than FO3 or NV on console by a mile.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Fighting games are great rentals if you can swing that. It looks to have a cool story mode at least. There was a tournament that streamed today that made it look fun, and tutorials have gotten a lot better for fighting games in the past couple of years (with the exception of Street Fighter)

The only real immediate option I have for rentals is Redbox, and that's usually a crapshoot when it comes to what's available. Still, I'll check to see if I can rent it out for a couple of days. Apart from that, I'm not familiar with any other rental services nowadays.

If you want to fight online, do you need to have Playstation Plus? I know Nioh requires that you have Playstation Plus if you want to play coop with people online, and was wondering if that held true for the online for other games. I ask, because apart from Tekken 7, I thought about trying Injustice 2 or possibly trading in my PS3 copy of DOA5U and upgrading to Last Round, and I didn't know if you needed PS Plus to play online with any of those games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yes, you will need PS Plus for online features. The only games that get around this are free to play and MMOs, I believe

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I dunno if I'm just being pickier then, all I had back in 2008 was a scrapped together PC and a PS2/360. Fallout 3 certainly didn't run smoothly on the 360 but it was playable although there was a bit of an uproar at the time around how buggy and broken the ps3 version was.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You've probably gotten pickier because console games actually run pretty well for the most part this gen.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

ElwoodCuse posted:

The season pass is $29 on Amazon right now

The Season Pass was €30 at launch, until they decided it sold well enough to push it to €50.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit: whoops I read that totally wrong.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I still don't know what the cover picture thing on your PSN account is supposed to be for. You can only show half a screenshot at most, and half of that has to be transparently covered over. What am I supposed to show with it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's just a header picture like Twitter/FB/Youtube etc. There's no great conspiracy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

You've probably gotten pickier because console games actually run pretty well for the most part this gen.

I tried playing Skyrim on the PS3 in my gf's house last week (she just upgraded from PS2 :allears:) and it is insane how badly that game runs, I have no idea how I played it for 70+ hours.

I guess we just didn't know better back then (unless your friends had it on PC)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes, you will need PS Plus for online features. The only games that get around this are free to play and MMOs, I believe

How would you rate or grade PS Plus nowadays? I know a few years ago, it was highly praised, but my opinion of it shifted a bit when they made it a requirement for online play. I know you get discounts on certain items and a free game to play every month so long as you stay subscribed, but I didn't know if there any other benefits, or if there was a general opinion of the free/discounted titles than have been offered recently.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still don't know what the cover picture thing on your PSN account is supposed to be for. You can only show half a screenshot at most, and half of that has to be transparently covered over. What am I supposed to show with it?
I use it for really cool glamor shots of my ff14 character, not much else fits

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

homeless snail posted:

Because of its aspect ratio even that doesn't work very well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, that's what I did too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

How would you rate or grade PS Plus nowadays? I know a few years ago, it was highly praised, but my opinion of it shifted a bit when they made it a requirement for online play. I know you get discounts on certain items and a free game to play every month so long as you stay subscribed, but I didn't know if there any other benefits, or if there was a general opinion of the free/discounted titles than have been offered recently.

The games are pretty bad but if you wanna play online it's a necessity. I just buy it yearly and forget about it. Every so often a free game will be good but it's maybe 1/8 every two months.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The discounts can be pretty okay, but then you have to do the math of would you have bought those games at retail/non-PS+ discount and do you really need to add to your forever backlog and and and.

On balance they're probably net equivalent choices, but people would rather have the latitude and you have more of it with PS+ than without.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Seedge posted:

The Season Pass was €30 at launch, until they decided it sold well enough to push it to €50.

They added more content to it than they originally planned but let you get the extra content as part of the $29 original price if you bought it before a certain date

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAO7DftIs5Q

trigger here to save the ps4 library

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

glam rock hamhock posted:

So did anyone end up getting Rime and if so how is it?

My Rime hot take, it's better than TLG in my opinion. It's some sort of mix between Ico and Journey. Looks and sounds fantastic, there are definitely some frame rate issues but it's personally not bothering me too much. Lots of hidden items that encourage you to explore. I'm 2-3 hours in, not sure how long it is. I also wouldn't describe it as being difficult but I don't necessarily want puzzles difficult to the point where I get frustrated and just look up the solution on youtube. I'll take a cute scripted fox buddy over a dumb dog/cat/bird thing any day.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

katkillad2 posted:

My Rime hot take, it's better than TLG in my opinion.

This take so hot its practically a meltdown.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's not that hard to be better than TLG.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The takes are going critical, everybody run

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
TLG was good but was not for everyone, even more so than most games that get labeled that.

I will admit that having new game described as good version of already good game always makes me warey, like when people were saying Abzu was better than Journey.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tlg is too good for you guys. Probably should hold your posts, save some embarrassment.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

glam rock hamhock posted:

TLG was good but was not for everyone, even more so than most games that get labeled that.

I will admit that having new game described as good version of already good game always makes me warey, like when people were saying Abzu was better than Journey.

I tried Abzu a few days ago, it felt like underwater Journey with the life sucked out of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Tlg is too good for you guys.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Friday the 13th is so magical when everyone's got mics. It's so unreal. Don't do party chat or Discord or any of that poo poo, get in there with the commoners!

Played a game last night where it was down to only 3 of us against Jason and I run into one of the counselors in a cabin, and we start going over what we've found to escape. Oh I found the battery, he found the fuel, that sort of thing. Eventually a third voice chimes in like "Have you guys checked the boat house?" and we're all "No we should try that!" and a few seconds later I realize there wasn't the third counselor on the mini-map nor was it voice over the radio, and seconds later Jason just loving appears out of nowhere from one of the adjacent rooms! Crafty motherfucker had used the Stalk power to sneak into the cabin when we weren't looking, hid, then started talking to us to keep us in the building until his cooldowns could refill! Open voice chat is a godsend for this game. Just wish they'd fix the wait times to get into games faster.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TLG is very good, Abzû isn't as good as Journey but it's still very good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Friday the 13th is so magical when everyone's got mics. It's so unreal. Don't do party chat or Discord or any of that poo poo, get in there with the commoners!

Played a game last night where it was down to only 3 of us against Jason and I run into one of the counselors in a cabin, and we start going over what we've found to escape. Oh I found the battery, he found the fuel, that sort of thing. Eventually a third voice chimes in like "Have you guys checked the boat house?" and we're all "No we should try that!" and a few seconds later I realize there wasn't the third counselor on the mini-map nor was it voice over the radio, and seconds later Jason just loving appears out of nowhere from one of the adjacent rooms! Crafty motherfucker had used the Stalk power to sneak into the cabin when we weren't looking, hid, then started talking to us to keep us in the building until his cooldowns could refill! Open voice chat is a godsend for this game. Just wish they'd fix the wait times to get into games faster.

That sounds so good. I haven't seen it advertised at all on the UK/Ireland PSN, literally didn't know about it until people here talked about it. Might pick it up next week but it sounds pretty expensive for a mp only game 😳

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Critics seem to hate friday 13th for being jank city but im glad its enjoyable

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Policenaut posted:

Crafty motherfucker had used the Stalk power to sneak into the cabin when we weren't looking, hid, then started talking to us to keep us in the building until his cooldowns could refill! Open voice chat is a godsend for this game. Just wish they'd fix the wait times to get into games faster.

Jason doesn't talk! MY CANON!

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Samurai Sanders posted:

You can also use a screenshot from the bowser so my cover photo is a pretty good shot from 2001: A Space Odyssey when they're on the Moon. Maybe try that if you want something cool

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

friday the 13th sounds kinda like they took the concept of evolve and made it not bad

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The Far Cry 5 drama is already hot. Has any gameplay even been shown yet?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The Far Cry 5 drama is already hot. Has any gameplay even been shown yet?

Yeah, four games worth.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is Friday the 13th digital only? Didn't see it on Gamefly.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Feenix posted:

Is Friday the 13th digital only? Didn't see it on Gamefly.

It's a kickstarter indie game so yeah, it p much is a digital game only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

Samurai Sanders posted: