Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Spacebump posted:

Lol UConn is hot garbage (college football will always mean more than college basketball), they lost to a 4-8 Tulane team. If the ACC is going to poach an American team they have much better options.

You think they grabbed Pitt, BC, or Syracuse because of football?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Crotch Bat posted:

Those are all better football programs than UConn. When are we going to stop pretending the north east cares about CFB?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Spacebump posted:

Those are all better football programs than UConn. When are we going to stop pretending the north east cares about CFB?

That's not the answer to the question, though.

The relevance and ability of football programs matters less now than ever before with respects to conference moves. Everyone is going to be scraping the barrel regardless, there's nobody to add, everyone's just going to numbers grab to hit 16.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 27, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crotch Bat posted:

ND's already in the ACC in every sport but football and is currently integrating multiple ACC teams in football each year. They're being groomed for the move, it'll happen.

They're Big 10 for Hockey! :eng101: Then again, ACC doesn't have hockey.

I see no incentive for ND to move though, seriously. Yeah they're ACC in all but those two sports, but seriously, like Texas with the Long Horn Network, I see no incentive for a change, at all.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

iospace posted:

They're Big 10 for Hockey! :eng101: Then again, ACC doesn't have hockey.

I see no incentive for ND to move though, seriously. Yeah they're ACC in all but those two sports, but seriously, like Texas with the Long Horn Network, I see no incentive for a change, at all.

Because they need the ACC for those other sports. The entire reason they've started playing ACC teams in football is because they bowed to demands in order to join the ACC in other sports. The Big 10 isn't going to let them do the same and eventually the ACC will make an ultimatum as well. They will have to make a decision and going back to full independent status would be a very foolish move.

It's an inevitability, not a question.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
When the TV money bubble collapses and ND is left in the cold by NBC, I could see it happening.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Crotch Bat posted:

BC was really good at football when they picked them up though.

By which I mean Matt Ryan was really good at football when they picked them up. Then, well...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Pitt is okay but not great (at least this century)

BC has one amazing season about every 10 years and they're due for another one soon.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crotch Bat posted:

Because they need the ACC for those other sports. The entire reason they've started playing ACC teams in football is because they bowed to demands in order to join the ACC in other sports. The Big 10 isn't going to let them do the same and eventually the ACC will make an ultimatum as well. They will have to make a decision and going back to full independent status would be a very foolish move.

It's an inevitability, not a question.

Frinkahedron posted:

When the TV money bubble collapses and ND is left in the cold by NBC, I could see it happening.

Pretty much this. If they somehow lose their exclusive deal with NBC, then I see them jumping to the ACC (or possibly the Big Ten if they want to completely spite the ACC for whatever reason). Right now there's zero benefit for them to join for football when they have a cushy TV deal.

e: Oh, and this is a national, over the air broadcast. Not on NBCSN, but NBC proper. So TV you can get with just an antenna.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 27, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Scarf posted:

By which I mean Matt Ryan was really good at football when they picked them up. Then, well...

They were perpetually behind Miami, VT, and WVU in the conference and usually fought with Pitt, Cuse, etc. for 4th-6th and remember, this is the Big East we're talking about. Their one good year came in 2004 which was the year when VT and Miami already made the leap to the ACC (and both teams were really good and would have wrecked BC that year).

The original shakeup for the ACC was Miami, Cuse, and BC. VT wanted in but votes were 5-4 against (iirc it was Tobacco Road and UVA against with GT, Maryland, Clemson, FSU for). Virginia governor Mark Warner basically strong-armed UVA into flipping their vote and VT replaced Cuse. NCSU votes against BC at the last second and so Miami and VT made the switch first. BC was voted in unanimously a year later once things had calmed down and the league realized they needed 12 to make a conference title game a reality.

That original lineup was "OK get Miami so we can have Miami/FSU title game every year and then get BC/Cuse to expand the footprint of the conference". They had UVA so they didn't need VT even though VT was a clear #2 in the Big East behind Miami and was just years removed from the craziness of Mike Vick.

You shouldn't need to even look to know who the most successful football pickup the ACC has made since the shakeup in 2004 but the only team they've ever picked up because of football has been Miami, not VT or BC or Cuse or Pitt or Louisville. Hence, when ND likely joins in full and they pick another team to match don't expect them to break out the standings in the AAC and pick up whoever is doing best. You might see them make a run at WVU (although WVU may not want to leave), but Cinci or UConn seems to be the most likely picks right now.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 27, 2017

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Crotch Bat posted:

They were perpetually behind Miami, VT, and WVU in the conference and usually fought with Pitt, Cuse, etc. for 4th-6th and remember, this is the Big East we're talking about. Their one good year came in 2004 which was the year when VT and Miami already made the leap to the ACC (and both teams were really good and would have wrecked BC that year).

The original shakeup for the ACC was Miami, Cuse, and BC. VT wanted in but votes were 5-4 against (iirc it was Tobacco Road and UVA against with GT, Maryland, Clemson, FSU for). Virginia governor Mark Warner basically strong-armed UVA into flipping their vote and VT replaced Cuse. NCSU votes against BC at the last second and so Miami and VT made the switch first. BC was voted in unanimously a year later once things had calmed down and the league realized they needed 12 to make a conference title game a reality.

That original lineup was "OK get Miami so we can have Miami/FSU title game every year and then get BC/Cuse to expand the footprint of the conference". They had UVA so they didn't need VT even though VT was a clear #2 in the Big East behind Miami and was just years removed from the craziness of Mike Vick.

You shouldn't need to even look to know who the most successful football pickup the ACC has made since the shakeup in 2004 but the only team they've ever picked up because of football has been Miami, not VT or BC or Cuse or Pitt or Louisville. Hence, when ND likely joins in full and they pick another team to match don't expect them to break out the standings in the AAC and pick up whoever is doing best. You might see them make a run at WVU (although WVU may not want to leave), but Cinci or UConn seems to be the most likely picks right now.

Weird, for some reason I remembered BC being better when they first joined.

edit: They were decent IN the ACC, but as a pickup leading in...

Scarf fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 27, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Crotch Bat posted:

Unless it was prohibitively expensive, I have to think WVU would jump to the ACC immediately if given the chance. The ACC has their biggest rival, is more of a cultural fit, and they get to play their road games in the same freakin' time zone.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 27, 2017

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't see any reason why WVU wouldn't jump the second the ACC knocked. Is there anything beyond "mutual survival" that got them into the Big 12 after the Big East collapsed and a quarter of the Big 12 left?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think they'd rather be in the SEC if they had a choice between that and the ACC, but either way yeah there's no particular love between WVU and the Big 12. There is a Grant of Rights that would probably be a pain to get out of for the next few years, although I'm sure it could be done if someone wanted to badly enough.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
WVU definitely has an SEC-like fanbase.

They're kinda like a Bama of the Mountains.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

WVU definitely has an SEC-like fanbase.

They're kinda like a Bama of the Mountains.

I think the No True Southerner contingent of the Bama fanbase is already bent out of shape enough about Arkansas, Aggie, and Mizzou to let in a bunch of sorry carpetbagging race traitors like West Virginia

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

tactlessbastard posted:

I think the No True Southerner contingent of the Bama fanbase is already bent out of shape enough about Arkansas, Aggie, and Mizzou to let in a bunch of sorry carpetbagging race traitors like West Virginia

:stare:

W..wat?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tactlessbastard posted:

Arkansas seceded, though, that's SEC as gently caress.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah how is Arkansas not true southern

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

West Virginia was a slave state too.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Sash! posted:

Because, unless they changed the carriage agreements, the state is what matters, not the city.

What does that mean? It all has to do with media markets, not states. Pitt somehow gives the ACC a foothold in Philadelphia?

iospace posted:

Shame that Rutgers blows chunks.

Sure, but not running a structurally unsound offense this year will help, and we'll see if Ash is any good when he gets to year 3 in 2018.

Scarf posted:

They were picked years before Ryan was seeing the field. Basically it was going to be Miami, BC, and Syracuse, because ACC snobbery is so strong that they didn't want Virginia Tech. (Football is important, but you can't discount the snobbery factor for why UConn won't be invited, or WVU for that matter.) Then VA's governor stepped in and got VT in. BC getting in over Syracuse was weird though, because at that time they still weren't that far removed from being good in the late 90s, while BC was the very definition of average. Supposedly Syracuse's AD was completely checked out at this time, which was a big reason their program went in the tank.

fake edit: CB beat me on all of this.

Pakled posted:

Pitt is okay but not great (at least this century)

BC has one amazing season about every 10 years and they're due for another one soon.

Pitt was mediocre between firing Wannstedt and hiring Narduzzi. They went 6-6 four straight years. One coach was fired for domestic violence, Todd Graham quickly left, and Paul Chryst didn't really do anything either. Let's not forget that Wannstedt's teams were really talented but consistently underachieved. They had something like the 4th or 5th best record in the Big East in the post-ACC raid era, they were consistently, overwhelmingly mediocre in football. To put that in context, everyone gives me poo poo about Rutgers, and we deserve it right now given what Kyle Flood did, but we were categorically, overwhelmingly better than Pitt in this era. Schiano owned Wannstedt, and Schiano is a loving mediocre coach who knows a poo poo ton about underachieving himself.

BC is stuck in the 6-6 zone under Addazio, he's already on thin ice, and the new AD won't do him any favors.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kim Jong Il posted:

What does that mean? It all has to do with media markets, not states. Pitt somehow gives the ACC a foothold in Philadelphia?

The Big Ten claims entire states as in market. That's why.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sash! posted:

West Virginia was a slave state too.

So was Delaware, that don't make them SEC.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

big money big clit posted:

So was Delaware, that don't make them SEC.

Also Sash! Is either wrong or technically correct at best, considering West Virginia didn't separate from Virginia until 1863 and then to join the Union.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Don't over estimate the effect of Pitt being in the ACC. That's not a friendly rivalry. From what I understand, that's a would rather see it burned to the ground, don't give a poo poo, would rather not play ever again sort of rivalry.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Add Pitt, get rid of Penn State

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

:stare:

W..wat?

My wife has a lifetime friend that married an Alabama girl who at the wedding in Tuscaloosa insisted that everyone that wasn't from within 30 miles of Tuscaloosa was Yankee scum.

I completely unfairly let her be my representative Alabama fan, and as for the silly joke about WVU, west virginia is only a thing in the first place because they didn't want to secede.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tactlessbastard posted:

as for the silly joke about WVU, west virginia is only a thing in the first place because they didn't want to secede.

To be fair I'd imagine the ancestors of WVU football fans are the ones who wanted no part of the union.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

I completely unfairly let her be my representative Alabama fan,

Nothing unfair about.

I got called a yankee in a bar in birmingham.

I was from Atlanta.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
It's hard to imagine what sort of backwards inbred fucktards still call people Yankees (actually it's easy to imagine). I say this as someone born in Atlanta.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
At a gas station in Mississippi I was verbally abused and threatened because I was wearing a T-shirt with "that Yankee sumbitch" General Ulysses S. Grant on it.

The good news is the guys doing the threatening were three 75+ year old dudes sitting around a checkerboard and I pointed out that the Yankee sumbitch cleaned their loving clocks and if they didn't like my shirt they could eat poo poo. There was a lot of grumbling but alas, the Lost Cause stayed down that day.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Nothing unfair about.

I got called a yankee in a bar in birmingham.

I was from Atlanta.

This is a real thing? Well I'm from Dallas so what does that make me?

Also, only just a few years ago did I realize that Texas wasn't considered to be a part of the "true south".

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

tactlessbastard posted:

West Virginia's vote to separate from Virginia and rejoin the union was likely fraudulent fwiw

No returns from southern counties, Union army took part in blatant voter suppression in the eastern panhandle :sad:

General Dog fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 28, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

John Brown posted:

This is a real thing? Well I'm from Dallas so what does that make me?

literally hitler.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Was driving around Memphis and I saw a Tennessee 'Ole Miss' vanity plate that just said "SEC". That's the most second SEC thing I've seen irl in awhile.

an adult beverage fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 28, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

an adult beverage posted:

Was driving around Memphis and I saw a Tennessee 'Ole Miss' vanity plate that just said "SEC". That's the most second thing I've seen irl in awhile.

This is a fantastic Freudian slip.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

an adult beverage posted:

Was driving around Memphis and I saw a Tennessee 'Ole Miss' vanity plate that just said "SEC". That's the most second thing I've seen irl in awhile.

I wish I could have been there to see Auburn students chasing Richard Spencer out of town while chanting "S-E-C"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ulmont posted:

Also Sash! Is either wrong or technically correct at best, considering West Virginia didn't separate from Virginia until 1863 and then to join the Union.

Had slaves until the war ended and the emancipation proclamation didn't apply to them. Those Virginia counties weren't interested in leaving the US, not abolitionist though. Just like Maryland and Kentucky.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/alexwilcoxwndu/status/868866163450802176

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Welcome to the carnival

• Locked thread