Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
God, it's all very Martha walking the Earth, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That episode was kind of a dud.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Can we talk about the one most brilliant thing about this ep? Not once was Erica's height ever mentioned.

This was really cool, though. They just let her be a scientist whose glasses got broken.

The episode was all build up, though, and I'm still not sold on the zombie monks as villains. I'm also not sure that Toby Whitehouse is the writer who can save this concept. Hopefully Gattis's episode is one of his good ones, and after that is Rona Monro, which should be interesting.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I missed the first 15 or 20 minutes but from wha tI saw, Bill made the wrong deal. Enslave the Earth so the Doctor can get his eyesight back? The Doctor is the ruler of Earth and Bill speaks for the Earth. Ugh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mooseontheloose posted:

I missed the first 15 or 20 minutes but from wha tI saw, Bill made the wrong deal. Enslave the Earth so the Doctor can get his eyesight back? The Doctor is the ruler of Earth and Bill speaks for the Earth. Ugh.

If you've missed the last few seasons, the various governments of Earth now have an agreed-upon policy of "If poo poo goes sideways, put The Doctor in charge and stand well back." It's not the best writing, but it's a clean way to just get on with the story at-hand instead of a round of "Who are you? Why should we listen to what you say?!" every single time something openly threatens the entire planet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mooseontheloose posted:

The other thing is that Bill isn't aware of regeneration or the Doctor's past lives. For all she knows, the lab explosion will kill The Doctor for good.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So you're saying the monks work for Nate Silver?

Hey, Nate Silver had the outcome at a decent and realistic value of happening twice in 10 elections. It was us idiots that laughed about it and ridiculed him for not having it at 1 % like we thought it should be.

Absolute poo poo of a episode. And next one looks exactly like a retread of the one where the Daleks conquered Earth and the Doctor was gone for a year or so. Or was it the Master who conquered Earth? It has been conquered so often it's just another Tuesday for everyone there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Decius posted:

Hey, Nate Silver had the outcome at a decent and realistic value of happening twice in 10 elections. It was us idiots that laughed about it and ridiculed him for not having it at 1 % like we thought it should be.

Absolute poo poo of a episode. And next one looks exactly like a retread of the one where the Daleks conquered Earth and the Doctor was gone for a year or so. Or was it the Master who conquered Earth? It has been conquered so often it's just another Tuesday for everyone there.

The Master did it, and Martha spent a year "walking the Earth" to get everyone clapping their hands and believing in The Doctor. And yea, he hath risen to smite the Master mightily.

Also, if they want to do an interesting story with the Doctor being blind, why not just use a known enemy for whom eyesight is a real issue like the Weeping Angels, or the Silence, or even something new along the same lines? You are massively hosed if you can't look at the Angels, after all. :ohdear:.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also, if they want to do an interesting story with the Doctor being blind, why not just use a known enemy for whom eyesight is a real issue like the Weeping Angels, or the Silence, or even something new along the same lines? You are massively hosed if you can't look at the Angels, after all. :ohdear:.

Don't the adaptations made to the Doctor's sonic sunnies basically solve that problem, though? He's having the information constantly streamed to his brain.

And since they don't see to actually copy the image, just create HUD icons that demonstrate where beings should be, that would solve the image-of-an-angle thing.

(I mean, yeah, your point still stands.)

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The cylinder combination lock was such an idiot contrivance. You can clearly see the gears at work in Peter Harness's head going "Why's it not a regular numberpad, oh right he'd still know where the numbers are, and he can hack digital touchscreen displays. What's left... uh....:pseudo:"

The clicks as the cylinders rotated reminded me of the big wheel on The Price is Right. I started laughing at the point of highest tension because I heard the loser game show sound in my head as the Doctor and the scientists looked at each other. It was bad enough before that this secret research facility is dependent on, and the Doctor is foiled by, a goddamn bike lock before those clicks.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The other thing is that Bill isn't aware of regeneration or the Doctor's past lives. For all she knows, the lab explosion will kill The Doctor for good.
Full-body incineration probably would kill the Doctor for good, as there wouldn't be anything left to Regenerate

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

jivjov posted:

No, I meant Bill saying "I wouldn't have even voted for him, he's.....orange"

Goddamn, Bill really IS racist! First blue people, now orange. Sad, really.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well that was interesting. Also my recording hosed off just before the poo poo hit the fan at the end of the episode so I spent most of today assuming that the Doctor saved the day and after getting on the iplayer well I guess he did not. It's a interesting way of watching an episode but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Oh poo poo, habit. I swear I didn't do that on purpose.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you've missed the last few seasons, the various governments of Earth now have an agreed-upon policy of "If poo poo goes sideways, put The Doctor in charge and stand well back." It's not the best writing, but it's a clean way to just get on with the story at-hand instead of a round of "Who are you? Why should we listen to what you say?!" every single time something openly threatens the entire planet.

Except, they still did that this episode, and got accordingly incinerated for being idiots.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

McDragon posted:

Well that was interesting. Also my recording hosed off just before the poo poo hit the fan at the end of the episode so I spent most of today assuming that the Doctor saved the day and after getting on the iplayer well I guess he did not. It's a interesting way of watching an episode but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Oh poo poo, habit. I swear I didn't do that on purpose.

Mine had done the same thing because of the FA Cup. Boooo.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder how many are adapted War Doctor stories, changed after the tragic news? :(

If that's the case I hope they're of a higher quality than most of what was actually in those box sets. Apart from Infernal Devices they're not really very good and even that had one dud out of only three stories.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

navyjack posted:

:sad:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Mine had done the same thing because of the FA Cup. Boooo.

Yeah, I guessed that was what happened. Oh well, it was an big football thing and sometimes they overrun so I can't get too narky about it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

navyjack posted:

Like that Green Lantern comic.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So after the preview There is going to be 2/3 Monk Episodes with an alternate universe bullshit?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

The Eighth Doctor Time War set is now the first of an annual series of 4!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-big-finish-sunday-digest

Bit extra disappointed that Susan's reunion with the Doctor after the events of the EDAs is relegated to a Short Trip now that we know we're getting more full cast stuff with Eight in the Time War.

Still, I think these should be more successful than the War Doctor stuff purely because these are more at the periphery of the war with the Doctor skirting around the edges just helping people where he can rather than being at the heart of it like the War Doctor stories were so it's less disappointing if they fail to be all high concept time fuckery like those stories mostly did.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Looking like desiccated corpses is an odd choice if you want to be loved. They would have had people lining up to consent a lot faster if they'd looked like beautiful, angelic glowing women. A magic mom telling you she wants to love you and protect you forever.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I feel like it's a bit dishonest that they were setting up the prediction thing to be like a military invasion. Like, we've studied your every move, we know everything you could do, we're teleporting onto your planes and taking them over, and then it was... what we got.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Dabir posted:

I feel like it's a bit dishonest that they were setting up the prediction thing to be like a military invasion. Like, we've studied your every move, we know everything you could do, we're teleporting onto your planes and taking them over, and then it was... what we got.

Rather intentionally on the Monk's part. If they tipped their hand enough towards the real killer, humanity (or at least the Doctor) would be able to solve the problem themselves and the Monks would have no bargaining chips.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dabir posted:

It was a show of power. Have to prove that you have power to convince anyone you have the power to save the world.

Though given that they need adoration it probably would have been better to do that through miracles. They were able to heal the Doctor instantly without touching him, so this was totally within their ability. Heal a bunch of quadriplegics or something. Heal everyone in a single hospital. People will be breaking down the doors to worship you.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

As a children's show, "evil is ugly" is kind of a poo poo lesson. Like "stranger danger" inadvertently teaching kids that bad men wear trenchcoats and lurk in alleys.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
You know, I'm sorry for defending this episode now, I've found the plot hole that ruins it for me.

Why the gently caress is the code lock INSIDE the lab?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Murderion posted:

You know, I'm sorry for defending this episode now, I've found the plot hole that ruins it for me.

Why the gently caress is the code lock INSIDE the lab?

Where do you put your plot devices?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I was expecting a John Crichton moment, where the Doc does the 'if they know what we are thinking, we should do the opposite, but they would have known that so we should do what we do all along, but they would expect that...' sort of dialogue, and he just rages out and decides to become as un-Doctor as he can. He picks up a weapon, shoots the web way future thing.

Or BIll & Ted out of it, just appear in the Tardis and just hand over the antidote he has been working on for the last hundred years.

Instead we have what looks like a lovely excuse to get into 'broken universe' version 2.0.

Edit: Calling next week, he traps them in the simulation.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 29, 2017

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Namtab posted:

Where do you put your plot devices?

The job of the airlock is to keep the dangerous germochemicals in and unprotected people out. Unless they're trying to make intelligent plants that can operate airlocks, there's no need to have people inside punch in a code.

If unauthorised people can get in without using the front door, the whole "airlock" thing is sort of pointless.

If the sealed lab isn't in lockdown, then there's no reason to make operating the airlock any more complicated.

If the lab is in lockdown, then giving the (panicking) people inside a way to let themselves out is stupid. In that case, the airlock should only open from outside.

It's not the stupidest bit of the episode in any respect, but it's the straw that broke my suspension of disbelief's back.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jivjov posted:

The Eighth Doctor Time War set is now the first of an annual series of 4!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-big-finish-sunday-digest

Four more years of the 8th Doctor is very good news indeed :)

Also, the new UNIT story is out. I liked their first, disliked their second, loved the third, I'm hoping there is more to this one than the gimmick of bringing in the Pertwee-era UNIT guys (and girl)

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
You know, for a little while during this episode I thought it was going to turn out that they'd made something like a universal pesticide and that was what was going to wipe the planet out. Especially when the guy in the lab had his helmet off for a while and seemed OK. That would have been kind of neat, something that wasn't directly deadly to humans but would wipe everything out all the same.

But then the guy melted and oh, no danger of them doing something interesting.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Vinylshadow posted:

Full-body incineration probably would kill the Doctor for good, as there wouldn't be anything left to Regenerate

True. He's a Time Lord, not Captain Jack! :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

Four more years of the 8th Doctor is very good news indeed :)

I just hope there's more coming out for 8 besides those, given the year long gaps between 2-3, and 3-4

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

jivjov posted:

I just hope there's more coming out for 8 besides those, given the year long gaps between 2-3, and 3-4

They've said there is! Doom Coalition 4 ends on a cliffhanger they mean to resolve. The Time War ones will just be at a later point in his incarnation.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

They've said there is! Doom Coalition 4 ends on a cliffhanger they mean to resolve. The Time War ones will just be at a later point in his incarnation.

Huzzah!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I was really surprised at how contrived the whole lab thing was. I like the idea of a series of tiny events leading to a catastrophe, and I guess accidentally creating a world-ending bacteria by missing a decimal is within the realm of tolerable weirdness for Doctor Who, a show where one villain last series was the gunk in your eyes when you wake up in the morning, but the combination lock looked like a comedy prop and it was only there so the Doctor wouldn't be able to let himself out. Off the top of my head, make the lock a touchscreen, have him need to wire the sunglasses into the bomb to use as a timer, and have him give his sonic screwdriver to Nardole for some reason and that scenario is at least a bit less transparent. It's not like they're scared of for some reason because the lock is already a big cylinder combination padlock for some reason and the sonic couldn't unlock it for some reason. Could they not think of anything better? How rushed was this?

I'm also fed up of the president of Earth thing, which I think Harness reused before in the Zygon episodes. Why does he love the Doctor being president of Earth so much? It was originally used in one episode to make a point, it's not some piece of inviolable canon. At least it was used for something here, with the Doctor's position of authority meaning Bill can act as his representative and sell out the world to save him.

Which is more than I can say for the simulation, whose use in this episode doesn't really justify having a previous episode devoted to it. Though I guess the previous episode justifies itself by being good in its own right, certainly better than this one.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

God, it's all very Martha walking the Earth, isn't it?

Moffat's gonna Moffat.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Vinylshadow posted:

Too bad the universal executioners didn't think of that when trying to off Missy.

I wonder if the reason that Bill was made lesbian is so that when she said she loved the Doctor it isn't taken as romantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm 99% sure she was made lesbian because Steven Moffat wanted to address his image as a conservative fuddy duddy who can't imagine Doctor Who as anything but a show about a white man hero whose beautiful female sidekicks fall in love with him.

Hey is the voice of the Monks the same guy who voiced the Mouth Of Sauron in Return Of The King?

Edit: no he was not. He's not been in anything I'd recognise him from even though the voice sounds maddeningly familiar

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 29, 2017

• Locked thread