Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Al-Saqr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhG1ZNxwCaA

Holy poo poo is all british media this loving terrible?

:q: : IS IT TRUE YOURE A DANGER TO ALL OF BRITAIN AND YOU LOVE TERRORISM

:newdanger: : "Gives thorough explanation but is cut off"

:q: BUT HOW WILL WE FEEL SAFE YOU KEEP SUCKING TERRORIST COCK?! ALSO LOL LOOK AT ABBOTS AFRO
That's seriously a 3/10 example, I called it a fair interview a few pages ago.

Your post is obnoxious but to give a bit of context: British politics is historically conducted through parliamentary-style debate, and the people in that are all well-versed in formal, stuffy, parry and riposte style arguing. Where there are rules and points and strategies, like a chess game. It means that neither side really 100% believe exactly what they're saying, it's as much about forcing rhetorical advances and retreats than it is about exploring the issue. For many cultural reasons, It is, essentially, a game.

So once you're attuned to that then certain aspects of British media interview are sort of like water off a duck's back, it's not even aggressive or overly harsh.

Even a guy like Corbyn, who isn't from a private school background, lives in that world because he's sat as an MP for 30 years. The interviewer is pretty textbook British establishment guy so that sort of interview is his bread and butter.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

winegums posted:

CON: 276
LAB: 289
LD: 6
Other: 79

Charity: The conservative and unionist party of great britain
e: or UNICEF. whichever you prefer.

Zephro posted:

Actually on second thoughts:

CON: 346
LAB: 224
LD: 5
OTHER: 75

Those numbers may look different but let me be very clear: nothing has changed. NOTHING HAS CHANGED

Well it wasted the very funny joke I was going to make about you getting the neighbour of the beats as your number of MPs in the country.

Private Speech posted:

Put me down on:

Con: 349
Lab: 218
LD: 7
Other 76

Charity: Planned Parenthood Montana, because :lol: at this electorate if that happens. :getin:

edit: missed one seat, nothing else changed

I specified registered, UK charities only just to avoid clever people suggesting we give it to a group likely to destroy Britain like ISIS or the Tories or oh wait.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I specified registered, UK charities only just to avoid clever people suggesting we give it to a group likely to destroy Britain like ISIS or the Tories or oh wait.

Aww. Scratch that then, no bet for me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

baka kaba posted:

All right I'll bite with this one, do we actually have any indication she'd be a bad Home Secretary? Unlike the shadow position it's not about being good in interviews or remembering figures, it's about policy development and overseeing the people who work with that policy. Is she incredibly bad at that? Aside from being an office that corrupts everyone who takes it, is there any indication things would be worse with her than, say, Theresa May's stunning record of achievements?

Talking to the press is an important job for a Minister. Doubly so for the Home Sec who will often have to go in front of the media about quite controversial things because it's a horrible depart. Diane Abbott is not someone you would willingly roll out in front of the press. Her as Home Sec? gently caress man, it'd be bad.

Hoops posted:

Even a guy like Corbyn, who isn't from a private school background, lives in that world because he's sat as an MP for 30 years. The interviewer is pretty textbook British establishment guy so that sort of interview is his bread and butter.

Which is a polite way of saying they all saw Jeremy Paxman and decided that was the only way to conduct political interviews

BobbyThompson
Mar 23, 2001

Kegluneq posted:

Literally just threw out my old and lovely printer/scanner in a fit of pique after finding out that the ink cartridges cost more to replace than a new actual printer would, but I can take more photos later.

It doesn't have a wordsearch sadly, just lots of Q&As with May written in a strange bullet point style (Turn to page 8 for more from the PM!) and Fun Fact Corners. The last page has the comparison between the odds on Trump, Brexit and Corbyn's leadership win, with the presumed message that at least two of these things are worse for Britain that the Conservatives would ordinarily admit.

Awesome, hopefully it will become an SA or/and a b3ta photoshop challenge :)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/SunApology/status/868733164075798529

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh Jeremy Corbyn is Ed Miliband's dad? Crikey it's a small world after all.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Hoops posted:

Even a guy like Corbyn, who isn't from a private school background
He is, actually

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also a reminder that Al-Saqr is sitting in Saudi Arabia while looking at our press with disdain. That's how bad it is.

Oh breaking news that motherfucker Farron just sent an email about the Dementia Tax.

Yeeup, he's literally claiming the only way to stop it is to vote Lib Dem because Labour won't oppose the conservatives. Utter fuckhead.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Al-saqr is saudi? loving lol at his posts i've read then

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jose posted:

loving lol at his posts i've read then

Indeed

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Tesseraction posted:

Also a reminder that Al-Saqr is sitting in Saudi Arabia while looking at our press with disdain. That's how bad it is.

Oh breaking news that motherfucker Farron just sent an email about the Dementia Tax.

Yeeup, he's literally claiming the only way to stop it is to vote Lib Dem because Labour won't oppose the conservatives. Utter fuckhead.

It's because British tabloid press is word for word the same screeching fake patriotism madness that wouldn't look out of place in an Egyptian fascist newspaper and it's so loving obvious it's unbelievable. I guess that's what happens when a single Australian fascist businessman gets control of most of your media then it really is no different than a government effort. You would think though that in a free country there'd be more mechanisms to fight back against this but I guess there isn't and that's why democracy is in huge trouble from fake news efforts.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Be nice to him lads he's a good guy. Also part of the orblluminati now but that's what happens when Trump is president.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

It's because British tabloid press is word for word the same screeching fake patriotism madness that wouldn't look out of place in an Egyptian fascist newspaper and it's so loving obvious it's unbelievable. I guess that's what happens when a single Australian fascist businessman gets control of most of your media then it really is no different than a government effort.

Yeah it basically is a massive propaganda wing for the remnants of the Nazi Party at this point.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Be nice to him lads he's a good guy.

He really isn't

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

jBrereton posted:

He is, actually

Kind of yes and no - he went to a private primary school and a rather posh but still state grammar school (if I'm reading the wiki right). Not quite Eton/Harrow though so he'd still have been looked down on.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

TheRat posted:

He really isn't

Hi friend, if there's anything you wanna talk about and clarify I am free anytime to talk through PMs :)

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAzDlcq4Ud8

I sure hope he included the parts where the parents got the BNP to march through the town centre for them and about Charlene's bad homelife at the time

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well it wasted the very funny joke I was going to make about you getting the neighbour of the beats as your number of MPs in the country.

http://apps.charitycommission.gov.u...sidiaryNumber=0

so...to be clear is UNICEF aight?

Also I've been reading 4chan and people there seem surprisingly on-side with Corbyn? It's an arbitrary small smattering of neets who won't vote, but they seem to like him and the "lets not bomb the middle east forever" idea. This is a website who, previously, utterly sucked Farage's cock. Even people posting things like "economy is always better under Tories" are getting dogpiled on. Are things getting better?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

baka kaba posted:

All right I'll bite with this one, do we actually have any indication she'd be a bad Home Secretary?

Not much, only everything she says and does. I don't doubt Corbyn would like to put her somewhere she can succeed just by having her area of responsibility not turn into a crater, especially as he must know their personal history makes it look bad, but the PLP deprived him of the luxury.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

winegums posted:

Also I've been reading 4chan and people there seem surprisingly on-side with Corbyn? It's an arbitrary small smattering of neets who won't vote, but they seem to like him and the "lets not bomb the middle east forever" idea. This is a website who, previously, utterly sucked Farage's cock. Even people posting things like "economy is always better under Tories" are getting dogpiled on. Are things getting better?

The old school lefties remain on /pol/ in small numbers but mostly gather on the /lit/ and /co/ boards

I know /leftypol/ on 8chan has a big following

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Did Abbott and the Corbman actually date or is that some Sun gossip

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

It's because British tabloid press is word for word the same screeching fake patriotism madness that wouldn't look out of place in an Egyptian fascist newspaper and it's so loving obvious it's unbelievable. I guess that's what happens when a single Australian fascist businessman gets control of most of your media then it really is no different than a government effort. You would think though that in a free country there'd be more mechanisms to fight back against this but I guess there isn't and that's why democracy is in huge trouble from fake news efforts.

It being a free country just means that the state isn't allowed to tell private interests not to do what some states have to employ entire ministries to achieve.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Beyond her sometimes poor interview technique I don't actually see what everybody's problem with Abbott is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TomViolence posted:

Beyond her sometimes poor interview technique I don't actually see what everybody's problem with Abbott is.

Yeah I don't know of any policy issues I would take with her, just that I wouldn't put her in front of a camera because she doesn't seem to do well when that happens.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lightning Lord posted:

100%, total destruction

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Considering there are politicians who have had far more noteworthy fuckups and got nowhere near the same amount of stick, I think everybody's problem is that she is a black woman with opinions and has become fashionable to mock as a result.
I voted for her when she stood for Labour leader, I haven't seen or heard anything that has made me regret that choice.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

TomViolence posted:

I've got nothing against her and she's right about white people, but my nan could do better in interviews, and she's dead

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Also greetings from Trumptopia, UKMT. Today I've learned that America doesn't have beer gardens because the puritans thought they were sinful. The Land of Almost Right.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/868859355197820928

https://twitter.com/YanniKouts/status/868845655049080833

TRUMP

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kegluneq posted:

Kind of yes and no - he went to a private primary school and a rather posh but still state grammar school (if I'm reading the wiki right). Not quite Eton/Harrow though so he'd still have been looked down on.
Let's put it this way - he's had years more in private education than me and I would guess at least half the thread. Saying he's not from a private school background is disingenuous.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Hey at least they're being neighbourly with us and the Rus'!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

Did Abbott and the Corbman actually date or is that some Sun gossip

Yes in the 70s. It was used during the first leadership campaign as a "HE DATES NEGROES" smear.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Oh god May has sent Rudd to take part in the ITV debate, please please Corbyn do not send in Abbott.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
He also grew up in a mansion and is called Jeremy. Posh oval office.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Oh god May has sent Rudd to take part in the ITV debate, please please Corbyn do not send in Abbott.

may is so poo poo lol

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

When looking at Corbyn's gains in the polls, I have two questions; 1) What would be the impact if he decided to campaign the second he was made Labour leader instead of the second he was declared leader, and 2) What would an aggressive left wing leader have done in his place?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

winegums posted:

UNICEF is fine (I did in fact mean UK-registered but brainfarted and put registered, UK instead).

Reading 4chan... not so much.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gorn Myson posted:

When looking at Corbyn's gains in the polls, I have two questions; 1) What would be the impact if he decided to campaign the second he was made Labour leader instead of the second he was declared leader, and 2) What would an aggressive left wing leader have done in his place?

I don't understand the first part of your question. Campaign for what? Made leader and declared leader?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If you want a full transcript of that Merkel speech here is this guy's attempt:

The times when we could rely completely on others, those are over. That's what I've come to experience in the last few days.

Because of that, all I can say is that we,
as Europeans, have to take our destiny into our own hands, naturally in friendship with the US and with the UK, and with neighbourly relations with everyone in the world, including Russia as well as other countries, but we have to understand that fighting for the future of Europe is our responsibility alone. And I look forward to doing it together with you.

• Locked thread