Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sir Kodiak posted:

That's just the price for engaging with people on the Internet.
I'm not talking about the Internet actually. When Prometheus came out, I couldn't find a single person besides my best friend that actually enjoyed it. So talking about it always ended up in the "Yeah that was dumb. Yeah that was dumb too. "

These people ain't even just friends! I'd talk to strangers at parties and we'd talk movies and they'd jump into "gently caress, did you see Prometheus? That movie was so loving lovely! It didn't make any sense!"

quote:

which AvP: Requiem seemed like a bright spot
:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sir Kodiak posted:

that a franchise for which AvP: Requiem seemed like a bright spot

what the gently caress.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

what the gently caress.

I'm not claiming it's a great film, but with five movies where each one is worse than the last, it's at least an uptick. Prometheus and Alien: Covenant make that just a footnote, though.

:saddowns:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I know. It's a real shame. You just have to crank the brightness up, but you shouldn't have to do that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm not claiming it's a great film, but with five movies where each one is worse than the last, it's at least an uptick. Prometheus and Alien: Covenant make that just a footnote, though.

:saddowns:

Yeah, it's slightly better than the abysmal AvP so I see what you're saying. Every sequel is worse than the last until that one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Movie fight!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i disliked requiem more than avp1 because the predalien is a dumb as hell concept and it seemed to be trying way too loving hard. also i couldn't see poo poo!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

It's funny because when they show it on TV it looks fine because they blow the contrast totally out of proportion in syndication.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

superh posted:

I get why people don't like Prometheus and Covenant, but I don't agree with them. Whatever issues you have with the characters (issues that I maintain disappear if you bother to engage with both films) - Scott blew the mystery element back wide open.

But why? Who cares? The aliens don't matter.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Even if the aliens matter to someone, it doesn't do a lot for me to make Chariots of the Gods with po-faced sincerity.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Super Fan posted:

People just want a dumb shooty Aliens type movie.

Super Fan posted:

"these movies are so booooriinnngg! Shoot something goddamnit"

Who are these people? Nobody has made any posts like that.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I don't agree that Covenant or Prometheus is characterized by po faced sincerity, at all. Like many good horror movies, they function straightforwardly as black comedies. The musical framing of Covenant is a farce, carried by the perspective of an outrageous villain, who is characterized simultaneously by 'perfect composure,' as well as by irrepressible glee at the foregone conclusion of the horrific narrative.

If you want po faced, you have Alien 3. Which also isn't a bad movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

I don't agree that Covenant or Prometheus is characterized by po faced sincerity, at all. Like many good horror movies, they function straightforwardly as black comedies. The musical framing of Covenant is a farce, carried by the perspective of an outrageous villain, who is characterized simultaneously by 'perfect composure,' as well as by irrepressible glee at the foregone conclusion of the horrific narrative.

The pofacedness is perfectly symbolized by Charles S. Dutton and you can hardly ask for better than that.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I want to see an Aliens movie where Weyland-Yutani doesn't sabotage an existing mission for nefarious reasons. I want to see them gear up a team, educate them on how to fight xenomorphs and send them to origae-6 to get them some samples....

Where they run into the creations of mad god-king David who been loose for decades with 2000 colonists to work with.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SUNKOS posted:

Who are these people? Nobody has made any posts like that.

SUNKOS posted:

All I want in an Alien movie is solid action with gunz blazin! is that too much to ask?

Check. Mate.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

superh posted:

My major criticism with Aliens is that it really narrowed the universe and mystery down, by making the aliens into "bugs". They're too understandable, and the point above about how they keep Newt alive is part of the same issue.
I get why people don't like Prometheus and Covenant, but I don't agree with them. Whatever issues you have with the characters (issues that I maintain disappear if you bother to engage with both films) - Scott blew the mystery element back wide open.

The premise of these movies is explaining the mystery of the Aliens yet blows the mystery element back wide open?

Is it any wonder people are confused?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The pofacedness is perfectly symbolized by Charles S. Dutton and you can hardly ask for better than that.

Meanwhile the only po faced characters in covenant are David's prick father and captain bad call. Everyone else just acts like they have thankless jobs to do and they've never seen a penis monster jump out of a guy's mouth before, which is motivated and convincing. Nobody phones it in. Not even the desk jockey couple who are just waiting until the movie's over so that they can bone.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

precision posted:

Even if the aliens matter to someone, it doesn't do a lot for me to make Chariots of the Gods with po-faced sincerity.

they shoulda put erich von daniken in the movie but an engineer rips his head off.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Groovelord Neato posted:

they shoulda put erich von daniken in the movie but an engineer rips his head off.

That's basically what Peter Weyland was

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Unoriginal Name posted:

I want to see an Aliens movie where Weyland-Yutani doesn't sabotage an existing mission for nefarious reasons. I want to see them gear up a team, educate them on how to fight xenomorphs and send them to origae-6 to get them some samples....

Where they run into the creations of mad god-king David who been loose for decades with 2000 colonists to work with.

I'm down

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

To fight the bug, we must understand the bug. We can ill-afford another LV-426.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Meanwhile the only po faced characters in covenant are David's prick father and captain bad call. Everyone else just acts like they have thankless jobs to do and they've never seen a penis monster jump out of a guy's mouth before, which is motivated and convincing. Nobody phones it in. Not even the desk jockey couple who are just waiting until the movie's over so that they can bone.

Yeah, that's the funny thing. None of them are stupid, they're just working people. They're all extremely professional, in fact! Their curiosity is sensible, mistakes human and when they overreach, it's understandable. Tennessee, for example, is willing to accept and challenge the unbelievable. That's how he ended up working on a solar barge, he's not a coward.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

Covenant is just a Willy Wonka remake.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Low Desert Punk posted:

If they ever said Daniels' last name (which is Branson) in the movie, I didn't notice, because I was absolutely positive it was going to be a Dark Knight Rises sort of deal at the end where its revealed she's a Ripley.

...wait, her name is Daniels Branson? I figured Daniels was her last name, not her first name.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's her last name. We don't know her first name.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Covenant is just a Willy Wonka remake.

I can't believe they racebended Wonka from white to robot in this one

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The "working stiffs in space" conceit worked for ore haulers but not missions of discovery or first colonization efforts. There's a fundamental tension between the tired slasher elements that alien adapted well to its working class future and the themes of Prometheus and covenant. Mythic hubris and gothic horror don't naturally have a place for idiot protagonists that slasher movies need for their plot beats.

Themailures don't recognize that these genres spliced and sewn onto the shambling corpse of a franchise don't actually make a good movie no matter how many times they reference vaginas or daddy issues or miltonian Satan.

There are posters who are coherent in their apologia for the protagonists of Prometheus and Covenant but I'll never understand the posters who are genuinely impressed by these characters' professionalism.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 28, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Arglebargle III posted:

The "working stiffs in space" conceit worked for ore haulers but not missions of discovery or first colonization efforts. There's a fundamental tension between the tired slasher elements that alien adapted well to its working class future and the themes of Prometheus and covenant. Mythic hubris and gothic horror don't naturally have a place for idiot protagonists that slasher movies need for their plot beats.

Themailures don't recognize that these genres spliced and sewn onto the shambling corpse of a franchise don't actually make a good movie no matter how many times they reference vaginas or daddy issues or miltonian Satan.

Achilles is the height of mythic hubris and he spends most of the Illiad throwing a tantrum because someone else got first pick of the slave girls.

King Arthur dies because someone drew his sword to kill a viper.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tragic heroes tend to be good at something. Achilles is a good example.

Fifeld and Tennessee's wife are slasher film morons. They exist to be killed gruesomely after ignoring warnings.

This is what people are picking up on when they notice that David and Walter are the only characters worth paying attention to; they're characters who have a role in this gothic horror piece. The other characters are unfortunate traveling companions to the guy who gets to talk to Dracula.

Hell Shaw isn't even in the movie and she's got a more interesting role in the story than three quarters of the cast.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 28, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Alien was born directly out of New Hollywood, which favored earthy, improvisational performances, while Prometheus and Covenant are like the Marvel writer's team pulled a Baby of Macon on Lena Dunham.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Arglebargle III posted:

Tragic heroes tend to be good at something. Achilles is a good example.

Fifeld and Tennessee's wife are slasher film morons. They exist to be killed gruesomely after ignoring warnings.

This is what people are picking up on when they notice that David and Walter are the only characters worth paying attention to; they're characters who have a role in this gothic horror piece. The other characters are unfortunate traveling companions to the guy who gets to talk to Dracula.

Hell Shaw isn't even in the movie and she's got a more interesting role in the story than three quarters of the cast.

Sounds exactly like the plot of a Hammer horror film to me

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Arglebargle III posted:

There are posters who are coherent in their apologia for the protagonists of Prometheus and Covenant but I'll never understand the posters who are genuinely impressed by these characters' professionalism.

Are you ok?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Alien was born directly out of New Hollywood, which favored earthy, improvisational performances, while Prometheus and Covenant are like the Marvel writer's team pulled a Baby of Macon on Lena Dunham.

Yeah, part of what makes Alien so great is just how real the characters and their interactions seem. We aren't given much of any typical movie backstories or characterizations for nay of them either, but from how they behave and their interactions we 'get them' and what they are. This sense of reality serves greatly to heighten the horror I think.

It's also interesting to look at Ripley in Alien versus her in Aliens, because it's not really until Aliens that she's this badass movie hero. There's really nothing that special (compared to the others, but like the others she does feel real) about her in Alien, she eventually takes command because the two above her are dead, and happens to luck out on surviving and beating the alien at the end.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The captain being a dipshit was the point

Yeah I mean the movie signposts the "these people do not know what they are doing" thing pretty hard. In addition to the captain not being the captain, the crew was there to set up a colony on a planet that had already been checked out, pronounced clean, no exploration needed.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, that's the funny thing. None of them are stupid, they're just working people. They're all extremely professional, in fact! Their curiosity is sensible, mistakes human and when they overreach, it's understandable. Tennessee, for example, is willing to accept and challenge the unbelievable. That's how he ended up working on a solar barge, he's not a coward.

Yeah, a lot of their mistakes can be contributed to curiosity, the extremes of the situation they're in or simply them being normal people who are way out of their league confronting something as mystifying and horrifying as a loving Xenomorph.

Or they're just dumb. Who cares.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

They probably should have been wearing suits and helmets though. You would think the crew of a colony ship would know this. Would have saved them a lot of trouble.

Anyway, that's just an annoyance really. Though such annoyances tend to come much more to the fore when a movie doesn't really work as a whole.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Randarkman posted:

They probably should have been wearing suits and helmets though. You would think the crew of a colony ship would know this. Would have saved them a lot of trouble.

If you can breathe on the planet without a helmet take off the drat thing. What if you have to sneeze? Or itch your face?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"They should have been much better colonists" is addressed. Two characters even go out of their way to say that the human race does not deserve to colonize the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yaws posted:

If you can breathe on the planet without a helmet take off the drat thing. What if you have to sneeze? Or itch your face?

What if there's a deadly pathogen that enters through your ear?