Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
So why the hell is Yusuke super intentionally the spitting image of Jun Kurosu but you can't date him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

precision posted:

I actually thought Shadow Hearts was a mild hit at the time, I certainly bought it just off the box art and could have sworn a lot of people owned it.

My memory is that it's actually a super good JRPG in that it's really simple and not hard at all to play, no bullshit ultimate/hidden weapon stuff (or if there is, it's not bad/necessary IIRC), the plot and translation are easy to follow, dungeons and towns look great and are pretty easy to navigate. The only thing I didn't like much was the timing minigame on EVERYTHING YOU DO but it wasn't HARD, just repetitive.

It's kind of like the opposite of Koudelka, in the sense that Koudelka was almost Unlimited Saga levels of bizarre gameplay.
one of the ultimate weapons is missable because you need a random-rear end item with no indication of its importance, but it's halley's ultimate weapon and who cares about him

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Futaba activated Hyper Focus right after I dropped Debilitate and Matarukaja. I did 3500 damage to the Palace 7 boss in one turn, killing it.

Also shoutout to Star rank 10 in that fight.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Do Futaba's lines for the trophy carry over to ng+ or am I gonna have to gently caress around for a hundred years swapping characters and hoping for status ailments again

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I'm kinda hoping Persona 5 gets a full blown second game as its expansion in the style of Persona 2.

And in the second game, in a reversal of roles, the phantom thieves get recruited* into the adult world as secret agents and even have to defend key diplomats against palace invaders. That'd be what I'd want to see, defo.

*Or perhaps forced or manipulated into it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

Do Futaba's lines for the trophy carry over to ng+ or am I gonna have to gently caress around for a hundred years swapping characters and hoping for status ailments again

If you haven't gotten to the final boss yet it has some unique ailments with lines to go with them and you might ding the trophy then like I did.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I never changed my team from Joker/Ann/Yusuke/Makoto and sometimes Goro and I still got the trophy to pop in the final battle.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would post some kind of sarcastic thing about spoiling party members but the game itself does that every fuckin' time you start it up. It's hilarious.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Goro's on the box right next to everyone and in the very OP for this thread, he is the worst kept secret, I won't go along with this tip toeing aroumd.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
People should know that Goro is only a one palace guest party member anyways so they aren't blindsided by losing his bless and curse coverage.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Considering he tells you that himself outright...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Moltrey posted:

Goro's on the box right next to everyone and in the very OP for this thread, he is the worst kept secret, I won't go along with this tip toeing aroumd.

I actually never read the OP and I'm glad because holy crap I didn't want all the S. Links spoiled too. Some things are worth the wait

(like hifumi~~~)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

precision posted:

I actually never read the OP

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Dragonatrix posted:

Considering he tells you that himself outright...

Sure, but usually JRPG guest characters can't have their equipment changed and essentially function as a entirely new party member. One could totally assume that something might happen and he'll stay in the party.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Oh my god, this (Endgame Spoilers) Igor reveal... the voice change was a plot point??

I just got to this point last night, and I flipped the gently caress out. My roommate was laughing at me the whole time. :tizzy:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm watching the credits right now. A++++ amazing game, best persona game I've played. Akechi might be my favorite character in game, for me he's up there with characters like Shinjiro for best in the series.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/yohosiefgc/status/868592024496128000

this is too adorable not to share

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Now that I have exposed the traitor, I can confirm

that Persona 5 was a bad game all along

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
https://twitter.com/grandmarth/status/868663753646014464

Love the Persona twitterverse.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The principal was The Kingpin only in a mustard colored outfit.

Also Twitter is never funny

:goonsay:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

You know who would have been a great replacement VA for Igor? Jim Cummings. That would have owned.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nina posted:

So why the hell is Yusuke super intentionally the spitting image of Jun Kurosu but you can't date him

Atlus wanted a greater representation of asexual characters so Yusuke's SL is where you're dating but not really in front of your friends. If you do complete his SL you're practically platonic BFs at the end but Japan.

I don't understand why people want Hifumi/Sae as party members esp since we hardly used Haru at the end. Dev team only has so much :20bux: and time you know.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kay Kessler posted:

You know who would have been a great replacement VA for Igor? Jim Cummings. That would have owned.

Jim Cummings did voice Igor, because the entire voice-acting industry is just a series of aliases for Jim Cummings.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
3 years isn't enough time to add one stinking party member?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

precision posted:

Those 3 years are going to be dedicated to expanding Akechi's SL and increasing fun events during the school year because the Hawaii trip was terrible :colbert:

Also, Marie's SL was bad and I hope they never add it again in future Persona. Not to mention wouldn't her ability (strategian) overlap with Makoto and Futuba's skills? I like Hifumi because she reminds me of myself as a kid.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

precision posted:

They already had trouble it making Haru fit in.

I feel like six is a good sweet spot for party members anyway.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Every confidant should have been an optional party member. Tora will show those shadows just how "No Good" he is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why yes I would like to go dungeon crawling with Bernie Sander-san, Siouxie Sioux, and Great Teacher Ohnoyoudidn't.

edit: talking of the Hawaii trip, is there a reason it was so pointless and stupid? Even the characters themselves say "we didn't do anything we couldn't have done at school".

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

precision posted:

Why yes I would like to go dungeon crawling with Bernie Sander-san, Siouxie Sioux, and Great Teacher Ohnoyoudidn't.

edit: talking of the Hawaii trip, is there a reason it was so pointless and stupid? Even the characters themselves say "we didn't do anything we couldn't have done at school".

People say it's to show how the Phantom Thieves have global influence now in America. Also, so you can hate on Mishima because tell me again why couldn't RYUJI been my roommate esp Yusuke who isn't available at all.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I really don't think they needed to spend assets to show that America likes the Phantom Thieves. Like, it adds to the game's dreary tone that the school trip sucks and sets up the fifth palace's plotline, but it's pretty dumb. Like the write Yusuke back into the trip only for him to literally like two or three lines before the trip ends, it's weird

Len posted:

The principal was The Kingpin only in a mustard colored outfit.

Also Twitter is never funny

:goonsay:
this sounds like something that someone who's not popular on twitter would say :smug:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

OMFG catbus!!!!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Alder posted:

People say it's to show how the Phantom Thieves have global influence now in America. Also, so you can hate on Mishima because tell me again why couldn't RYUJI been my roommate esp Yusuke who isn't available at all.

Ryuji's in a different homeroom.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this game is good but also you can really tell it's pieced together from like 4 different plots in places

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's so weird when Japan's extreme conservatism shows up in games like this. Like OH NO THERE ARE ONLY TWO FULL SIZE BEDS SURELY A BOY AND GIRL COULDN'T JUST SLEEP IN THEIR CLOTHES IN THE SAME BED or OH NO TWO GUYS CAN'T SHARE A BED

Like holy poo poo you guys, I was in high school a lot longer ago than this game and let me tell you about drama club field trips

e: also how everyone is like YOU CAN'T DRINK you're JUST A KID meanwhile in Actual Japan high school girls get paid to go on dates with middle aged men AND THAT'S LEGAL

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

precision posted:

It's so weird when Japan's extreme conservatism shows up in games like this. Like OH NO THERE ARE ONLY TWO FULL SIZE BEDS SURELY A BOY AND GIRL COULDN'T JUST SLEEP IN THEIR CLOTHES IN THE SAME BED or OH NO TWO GUYS CAN'T SHARE A BED
i grew up in the conservative part of virginia and lemme tell you, my field trips were definitely like that.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

precision posted:

Well, where would you have them go on their class trip? They sure as hell wouldn't go to Inaba like the cast of 4 did with Tatsumi Island.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the hawaii trip is just a leftover of when the game was about world traveling.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kay Kessler posted:

Well, where would you have them go on their class trip? They sure as hell wouldn't go to Inaba like the cast of 4 did with Tatsumi Island.

I meant more like how they/we didn't... do anything or go anywhere. There's barely even a beach scene! Nobody plays volleyball!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

At this point I think it's just a running joke that school trips/festivals in Persona always turn out lovely or underwhelming. That doesn't make it a good use of time, though. If they're going to just dedicate a week without advancing the plot, and without any of your normal pursuits available, there really ought to be more interesting alternatives. Will you play beach volleyball with Ryuuji and improve your proficiency, or go spear fishing with Yusuke and improve your knowledge? That kind of thing. Also equipment exclusively available to buy during that week which is literally just overpriced tourist garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i have to imagine the beach trip with futaba and the hawaii thing were originally one thing, until they made the decision that futaba would be a dropout and then they had this bizarre collection of anime FMVs that they had to get some use out of.