Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Harold and Kumar go to Frankenstein's Castle?

drat I would definitely watch this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

El Santo, Blue Demon, Mil Mascaras, and other luchadors have a sort of cinematic universe where all the wrestlers know each other and occasionally team up to fight monsters even though each individual film is rarely directly connected to others, which allows the wrestlers to battle different versions of the same monsters over time depending on which production company is making the films. It also postulates a world where wrestlers regularly hang out with brilliant scientists, drive around in sports cars and pick up women while still in their masks, are international spies, and wrestle various monsters in the ring where they almost always win (even if the monsters cheat!)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FlamingLiberal posted:

So Baywatch is DOA at the box office this weekend and is only going to bring in around $21 million which is pretty low for a movie with The Rock in it.

Looks like it ended up making $22.7m for the 4 day opening. That's slightly more than Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising and My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 but less than Boo! A Madea Halloween and Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 made on their opening weekends, just to put that into context.

Ouch.

Edit: I just looked up the opening numbers for recent(ish) comedies based on old TV shows: CHiPs $7m, 22 Jump St $57m, 21 Jump St $36m, Land of the Lost $18m, Get Smart $38m, The Dukes of Hazzard $30m, Starsky and Hutch $28m. The Jump St films and Get Smart made a bunch of money and most of the others at least made a tidy profit at the box office except CHiPs and Land of the Lost which were horrible flops.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 29, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Red Bones posted:

Only if they drive there in a van and bring a Great Dane along.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Tars Tarkas posted:

It also postulates a world where wrestlers regularly hang out with brilliant scientists, drive around in sports cars and pick up women while still in their masks, are international spies, and wrestle various monsters in the ring where they almost always win (even if the monsters cheat!)

Most of those seem pretty reasonable to me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ahahaha, I didn't even think the CHiPS movie had come out yet. I assume it sucked even harder than the trailers.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm genuinely upset now that there's not a movie where Harold and Kumar spend the night in a haunted house. Who do I blame for this?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

precision posted:

Ahahaha, I didn't even think the CHiPS movie had come out yet. I assume it sucked even harder than the trailers.

CHiPS made less in its entire run than Baywatch made on opening weekend. It bombed super super hard.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Tars Tarkas posted:

El Santo, Blue Demon, Mil Mascaras, and other luchadors have a sort of cinematic universe where all the wrestlers know each other and occasionally team up to fight monsters even though each individual film is rarely directly connected to others, which allows the wrestlers to battle different versions of the same monsters over time depending on which production company is making the films. It also postulates a world where wrestlers regularly hang out with brilliant scientists, drive around in sports cars and pick up women while still in their masks, are international spies, and wrestle various monsters in the ring where they almost always win (even if the monsters cheat!)

Can we have this,please? :allears: Luchadores VS Monsters cinematic reboot. Keep the camp all the way.
Those movies were great,btw, if you like campy stuff. El Santo was some sort of masked James Bond, Blue Demon used to be a "bad guy" but in some movie he would redeem himself and turn in to Santo's best luchador buddy. Then they will teamp up with whatever comedian was popular back in the day just to fight monsters. I think the luchadores vs monsters kept going until the early 90's with Tinieblas fighting some monster,I don't remember well.

I mean, goddammit, reboot that universe!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Red Bones posted:

Modern Day Abbott and Costello? Laurel and Hardy?

Tars Tarkas posted:

See, if you're gonna do a shared universe....

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Desperado Bones posted:

Can we have this,please? :allears: Luchadores VS Monsters cinematic reboot. Keep the camp all the way.
Those movies were great,btw, if you like campy stuff. El Santo was some sort of masked James Bond, Blue Demon used to be a "bad guy" but in some movie he would redeem himself and turn in to Santo's best luchador buddy. Then they will teamp up with whatever comedian was popular back in the day just to fight monsters. I think the luchadores vs monsters kept going until the early 90's with Tinieblas fighting some monster,I don't remember well.

I mean, goddammit, reboot that universe!

Lucha Underground is sort of like that. Luchadors fighting monsters and other mystical beasts and other luchadors.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One episode of Lucha Underground I saw had a US soldier who was the only survivor of a militant attack in Iraq or Afghanistan. He survived because he killed all the attackers John Wick style, shown in a flashback video.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

wdarkk posted:

Most of those seem pretty reasonable to me.
El Santo the scholar

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Policenaut posted:

Lucha Underground is sort of like that. Luchadors fighting monsters and other mystical beasts and other luchadors.

Oh my God this is fantastic...this is what I want from pro wrestling.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

CHiPS made less in its entire run than Baywatch made on opening weekend. It bombed super super hard.

It should have been Training Day but with motorcycles.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gatts posted:

Oh my God this is fantastic...this is what I want from pro wrestling.

I don't remember his name but he's a dragon who took human form so he could lucha.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man, American wrestling is so lame now. Has been for a good, what, 15 years? Jesus. Every now and then I'll try to watch RAW but the magic is so far gone it's depressing. I don't know what happened, did the public at large just suddenly go "Nah, we don't want plot lines about an undead wizard wrestler crucifying the company's owner's daughter on a cross and then marrying her"

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Len posted:

I don't remember his name but he's a dragon who took human form so he could lucha.

That's Drago dude.

Everyone should watch Lucha Underground so it get's lots of money and they can make series 4 (it's on US Netflix)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gaz2k21 posted:

That's Drago dude.

Everyone should watch Lucha Underground so it get's lots of money and they can make series 4 (it's on US Netflix)

I wanted to say that was it but it seemed too Obvious

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

precision posted:

Man, American wrestling is so lame now. Has been for a good, what, 15 years? Jesus. Every now and then I'll try to watch RAW but the magic is so far gone it's depressing. I don't know what happened, did the public at large just suddenly go "Nah, we don't want plot lines about an undead wizard wrestler crucifying the company's owner's daughter on a cross and then marrying her"

Maybe they saw the success of the Rock and realized your ticket to stardom requires nothing more gimmicky than an arched eyebrow.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Policenaut posted:

Holy poo poo this is amazing :stare:

I'll take this moment to share some random luchador goodness. FYI, this was scary when I was like 6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1bSZksnupI

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lobok posted:

Maybe they saw the success of the Rock and realized your ticket to stardom requires nothing more gimmicky than an arched eyebrow.

Says someone who clearly never saw The Rock in his heyday. Dwayne Johnson is a gift to us from on high and has better comedic chops than most comedians!

It did make my heart grow a bit when Steve Austin said a while back that he's known gay wrestlers and he has no problem with gay marriage. :unsmith:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

precision posted:

Says someone who clearly never saw The Rock in his heyday. Dwayne Johnson is a gift to us from on high and has better comedic chops than most comedians!

It did make my heart grow a bit when Steve Austin said a while back that he's known gay wrestlers and he has no problem with gay marriage. :unsmith:

I listened to a few episodes of his podcast and Stone Cold seems like a pretty okay guy. He was talking about how his movies might not be great but they're direct to video so you can pick up a pizza and some beer and then watch them from your couch.

And that his podcast is about "whatever Stone Cold wants to talk about for how ever long Stone Cold wants to talk about it and that's the bottom line because Stone Cold says so" or something similar

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Desperado Bones posted:

Holy poo poo this is amazing :stare:

I'll take this moment to share some random luchador goodness. FYI, this was scary when I was like 6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1bSZksnupI

This has to have been the inspiration for Werewolf Gimmick by the Mountain Goats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYwcSIBdOik

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Len posted:

I listened to a few episodes of his podcast and Stone Cold seems like a pretty okay guy. He was talking about how his movies might not be great but they're direct to video so you can pick up a pizza and some beer and then watch them from your couch

The Condemned was a legit good movie.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Mexican Wrestler Cinematic Universe needs to be made. Just Fast and the Furious it.

I'm all in for the Nintendo Cinematic Universe myself.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Who would be the nick fury? Luigi? He doesnt really have powers. Mario has the costumes (frog, raccoon, doctor, shoe), there'd be yoshi, dk, link, kirby, bowser...

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
"I'd-a like-a to talk to you about-a the Smash Bros. Initiative-a."

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Which Avenger has the Stare of Death as a power? Maybe Luigi can be Cyclops.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Which Avenger has the Stare of Death as a power? Maybe Luigi can be Cyclops.

Ghost Rider?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

For as much as I think that doing a Baywatch movie in 2017 is a dumb idea (it seems like a major product of its time and has not been relevant in years), doing a CHiPS film in 2017 is 1000x stupider.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

What has the world come to if you can't build (or at least sell) a successful movie on the premise of being afraid of being seen as gay.

Baywatch at least leaned into its ridiculousness and the people making it had fun doing so. And the Rock.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Maybe these idiots will figure out that no one gives a gently caress about 80's and 90's tv shows rebooted as movies finally!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rough Lobster posted:

Maybe these idiots will figure out that no one gives a gently caress about 80's and 90's tv shows rebooted as movies finally!

Except both 21 and 22 Jump Street were great.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Very surprisingly so.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
More successful than the movie reboots of 60s and 70s TV shows, remember S.W.A.T.? I Spy? Dukes of Hazzard?

For real though we can't stop doing 90s reboots until Thunder in Paradise and The Highwayman happen.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neo Rasa posted:

More successful than the movie reboots of 60s and 70s TV shows, remember S.W.A.T.? I Spy? Dukes of Hazzard?

Mission Impossible, Addams Family and Charlie's Angels did really well though (but not the sequels of those last two)

But other notable TV adaptation flops include Power Rangers, The A-Team, Lost in Space, Wild Wild West, The Brady Bunch, McHale's Navy (starring Tom Arnold), The Three Stooges, The Honeymooners (starring Cedric the Entertainer), Flipper (starring Paul Hogan), Bewitched, Dragnet and Serenity so there's way more failures than successes, but since there's been a few massive hits they'll keep reaching for those stars and crank out more and more of these awful films.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Neo Rasa posted:

For real though we can't stop doing 90s reboots until Thunder in Paradise and The Highwayman happen.
Starsky and Hutch made $170 mil worldwide in 2004 on a $60 mil budget. Hard to say if that is a success or not.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mission Impossible, Addams Family and Charlie's Angels did really well though (but not the sequels of those last two)

But other notable TV adaptation flops include Power Rangers, The A-Team, Lost in Space, Wild Wild West, The Brady Bunch, McHale's Navy (starring Tom Arnold), The Three Stooges, The Honeymooners (starring Cedric the Entertainer), Flipper (starring Paul Hogan), Bewitched, Dragnet and Serenity so there's way more failures than successes, but since there's been a few massive hits they'll keep reaching for those stars and crank out more and more of these awful films.

Addams Family Values is better than the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Timby posted:

These were probably what started all the new interest in this genre. By virtue of being good they've inspired a ton of insipod clones hoping to replicate the magic.

• Locked thread