Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Lasher posted:

Is this guy one of the "troll reviewers" who intentionally just does everything wrong?

Jim Sterling is just a self-righteous dick who has built his internet persona on effectively being a nerd Strong Daddy. He will always claim superiority, never admit fault, and will happily put someone else down to make him look better to his fanbase. He has not been worth listening to for literal years.

Unbalanced posted:

Jason starts out weak, but if he's smart he begins by smashing power boxes to raise everyone's fear and prevent it from decreasing in cabins.
100% of the time my first move is to morph to the power box that services the phone line and bust it. In addition to getting an idea of if there's anyone in the immediate area and making the cabins more hostile to survivors, it also adds ANOTHER step to calling the cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Does Chad look like Jon Bon Jovi or am I suffering from that goon problem where all faces look the same?

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

Lasher posted:

Yeah it's real frustrating. We had to find a weird janky fix to even BUY the game, then had to figure out weird, janky tricks to PLAY the game and even then their servers are there stonewalling us.

Just found out there isn't likely to be a fix for the Xbox until mid next week too. Crazy.

On the bright side it looks like there's been so much love for the game (and franchise) that we're bound to get boatloads of extra content. How could we not?

I was saying last night, I don't recall them talking about any kind of roadmap beyond launch. All they ever said was "we don't like DLC" so I'm not so sure.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm sympathetic to them because the company I work for dealt with 8 months of a disastrous switchover to a new registration and database system that didn't work, and we ended up improvising a termination to the business relationship and changing to a new system while continuing to deal with customers AND a huge increase in business.

Basically I know exactly how Gun Media probably feels right now, and I don't hold it against them. As they said, their numbers said to prepare for half the players they got.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Doctor_Acula posted:

I was saying last night, I don't recall them talking about any kind of roadmap beyond launch. All they ever said was "we don't like DLC" so I'm not so sure.

well they said theyll be making more maps at least

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm sympathetic to them because the company I work for dealt with 8 months of a disastrous switchover to a new registration and database system that didn't work, and we ended up improvising a termination to the business relationship and changing to a new system while continuing to deal with customers AND a huge increase in business.

Basically I know exactly how Gun Media probably feels right now, and I don't hold it against them. As they said, their numbers said to prepare for half the players they got.

I get that, but thinking "oh, well 5k people played the PC beta, that means 3x that at launch" is silly.
I would imagine the target audience for this isn't going to play on a PC. Further, the beta was only backers, and there were definitely TONS of people on their facebook page who wanted to play the beta but couldn't.

The writing was on the wall.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Doctor_Acula posted:

I get that, but thinking "oh, well 5k people played the PC beta, that means 3x that at launch" is sill.
I would imagine the target audience for this isn't going to play on a PC. Further, the beta was only backers, and there were definitely TONS of people on their facebook page who wanted to play the beta but couldn't.

The writing was on the wall.

They used pre-order numbers to estimate as well, not just the beta numbers. Facebook traffic is a very poor indicator of enthusiasm because conversion percentages from excited posters or likers to actual customers is hard to establish. They're frequently in the single digit range, though.

I'm sure there were ways to do things better, but operational forecasting is incredibly difficult when you don't have a pork-plated budget. It's pretty much the height of arrogance to second-guess them after the fact.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also they're a small indie crew of a few dozen people with less than a $1 million budget, when the average game is many times that now.

I'm willing to forgive a shaky launch on a fun game. I'd only change my tune if they totally abandon ship and run.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Coolguye posted:

Jim Sterling is just a self-righteous dick who has built his internet persona on effectively being a nerd Strong Daddy. He will always claim superiority, never admit fault, and will happily put someone else down to make him look better to his fanbase. He has not been worth listening to for literal years.

100% of the time my first move is to morph to the power box that services the phone line and bust it. In addition to getting an idea of if there's anyone in the immediate area and making the cabins more hostile to survivors, it also adds ANOTHER step to calling the cops.

Ha, I didn't even think of that. I know what I'm doing from now on.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Coolguye posted:

That box was always destroyed. Are there two boxes for the cabin?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I really don't get why the first thing that every Jason doesn't do is running around smashing power boxes. It rarely seems to happen when I play counsellor

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I really don't get why the first thing that every Jason doesn't do is running around smashing power boxes. It rarely seems to happen when I play counsellor

Order of Things to do as Jason

1) Place two traps at phone
2) Place traps on drive side, front, and gas side of cars
3) kill power boxes

At this point you should have trapped atleast one person or your shift is up. Then you go ham on all counselors.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
As Jason, can you walk over your own trap without getting caught?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Scalding Coffee posted:

yes

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Repaired the boat. Two people got in without me. gently caress them.

So I just ran laps around Jason.

Vanessa with a baseball bat is no loving joke.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think yes. Counselor traps trap everyone, however.

Couple of my favorite moments:

• Playing Jenny (ofc), Jason is getting poo poo on by someone who is a much better counselor than me as Adam. Adam is constantly taunting Jason with: "Tinfoil is fixing the car" which he flat out does not believe because he thinks there's 0 chance I'll actually get that done. At which point he hears me start the car and does an "oh poo poo" morph over to it. I manage to *just* evade him with the vehicle, while Adam meets me on the road. We play the reverse game on the main road until he blows morph again and we get out.

• Playing an ironic Vanessa doing Vanessa things all game, sometimes playing her correctly by distracting. I get the car fixed while Jason is refusing to go after me the whole game. I pick up Tommy Jarvis, promptly drive into the dead end at Packanack. I reverse and get going back the right way again, but Jason morphs into the road and I crash the car in such a way that Tommy is pinned inside. I get out and run to the police, leaving Tommy to his doom.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Repaired the boat. Two people got in without me. gently caress them.

So I just ran laps around Jason.

Vanessa with a baseball bat is no loving joke.

You're gonna love Buggzy

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Donnerberg posted:

This game has the most 80s credits song (probably because it is from the 80s), and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D92DFHSChaM

The entire soundtrack is 80's as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDh65khi8f4

They loving killed it, its honestly the biggest reason I like the game despite its jankyness, you can tell that people that made it loved the source material.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alteisen posted:

They loving killed it, its honestly the biggest reason I like the game despite its jankyness, you can tell that people that made it loved the source material.

Yea, I remember some QA saying they tried to get rights for Jason X but weren't allowed or something.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I hope my two account levels get merged, my alternate is now way ahead of my main. Database Jason is OP.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snatch Duster posted:

Yea, I remember some QA saying they tried to get rights for Jason X but weren't allowed or something.

I don't get why. I mean they got to use the one from JGTH.

The only one I'd suspect being an issue was the 09 one.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Alteisen posted:

It is important to remember that the game was originally designed as a generic slasher game. But they did such a loving bangup job with the initial product that the guys who owned Friday the 13th were actually open to giving them the rights. They clearly loved the material, so I'm willing to give them a decent amount of leeway, even if the game hates me right now.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Snatch Duster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPMGmCcuMzg

• Best kill
  • Girl is hot AF, want her as a playable counselor
  • Kane Hodder copping a feel

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snatch Duster posted:

I think its because a different studio owns it, New Line Cinema if I'm not mistaken, hence why it was called Jason X and not Friday the 13th.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Alteisen posted:

I think its because a different studio owns it, New Line Cinema if I'm not mistaken, hence why it was called Jason X and not Friday the 13th.

New Line made "Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday" as well, under license.

Gun Media could technically get the rights to the Jason X regular Jason under their current deal, as it's copyrighted by the previous owners. UberJason from later in the film is wholly owned by New Line.

It changed hands again, in its entirety from Frddy v Jason, then once more to F13 Remake. So the singular character Jason is owned by 4 companies plus more when you count NES Purple Jason, etc.

Aren't artistic licensing rules fun? :suicide:

Side note: I'm sad Jason 7 has janky powers, because he is by far the best, absolutely most iconic looking Jason, imo.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 29, 2017

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

weekly font posted:

I think a pretty good rule of thumb is if you spawn near a main house, the phone or a car, get the gently caress away.

Main thing is don't loving sprint or jog at the beginning if you don't have high stealth. Jason can see the noise bubbles anywhere on the map, teleport to the area he imagines you're in then follow you around until he gets sense, and by then you should be afraid enough that you aren't getting away. If you walk, you make no noise. There are stealth break points for no noise while jogging/sprinting (5 and 9 I think) and then you can just run around like mad. If everyone walks in the beginning, it gets very hard for Jason to figure out where you are and what you're doing, but if you run away from an objective because he will morph there (he probably will pick one) then you'll be lit up on his screen and he'll just find you anyway.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Slow and steady wins the race.

Also, don't be in Packanack Lodge at the outset. The nearby houses are littered with stuff and Jason never goes there at first. You can stroll to the house near the car with the keys and gas/battery, drop them, then get the other or wait for someone.

Driving out of Packanack just requires not going in the lodge right at the start. Because Jason WILL be there because pubbies run to that flame like moths.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Slow and steady wins the race.

Also, don't be in Packanack Lodge at the outset. The nearby houses are littered with stuff and Jason never goes there at first. You can stroll to the house near the car with the keys and gas/battery, drop them, then get the other or wait for someone.

Driving out of Packanack just requires not going in the lodge right at the start. Because Jason WILL be there because pubbies run to that flame like moths.

Has the upstairs of that place ever gone right for anyone? It's always a festival of death from what I've seen.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I wish I kickstarted this game so I could sell my kickstarter DLC for 350+ dollars . Ridiculous.

Loving this game, played all day Saturday and we didn't have a single match that felt like any of the others. The tree death is ridiculous. It's great when you're against a dumb Jason who will chase you around in circles around a car without bothering to put down a bear trap , or shift, or throw a knife but will ragequit after 10 minutes of running in a circle.

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 29, 2017

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Has the upstairs of that place ever gone right for anyone? It's always a festival of death from what I've seen.

Get there early, scour it fast, leave it forever for the pubs who will have to choose between a two story fall and a bladed implement in the groin.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

As Jason, I've gotten cocky up there and lost people to a bear trap. Also, if they dive out the window.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
As soon as the leveling system gets straightened out and I unlock Jason Part 2, I'm definitely gonna use him almost exclusively because he's always been the scariest Jason, plus he can run.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Get Gud Scrub, I know, but man it sucks to spend all round sneaking around collecting things to escape just to have Jason pop his sixteen teleports to juke his way around your car and smash it.

A lot of people are saying that it's fine because it's the "experience of being a counselor in a Jason flick". That's cool and all but I kind of feel that 80% of the fun is concentrated in the person playing Jason, which I haven't been able to do for going on fifteen rounds. Right now the constant grind of being repeatedly insta-killed is making the game wear a little thin.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Decided to pick this up. Sent a request to join Goon Campers - same username is here.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Maybe it's just me, but I have "prefer counselor" checked.

Jason is fun, but getting everything to go perfect and clowning Jason is infinitely more rewarding to my lizard brain pleasure center.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The weirdest thing about this game is I'm not seeing it being sold on any of the key sites. Is the game being sold for the same price everywhere?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Donnerberg posted:

This game has the most 80s credits song (probably because it is from the 80s), and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D92DFHSChaM

I found me!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

What I do with the big lodge buildings is enter and hide immediately. Jason shows up, everyone panics and leads him away. A minute or two in the closet and all the conflict is outside. I got away with a shotgun once, which saved my rear end running to the cops.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ah yes, the rarely seen "rear end in a top hat" perk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

That box was always destroyed. Are there two boxes for the cabin?

Talking about the one that powers the lights.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Ah yes, the rarely seen "rear end in a top hat" perk

Don't even know why this would be a thing that would HELP. The speed on the car is never the problem. Hell, my car moves like 5% slower because I have My Dad's A Cop and I'll never notice because I'm always too busy trying to keep the drat thing from flying off the road.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 29, 2017

• Locked thread