Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
GameStop is going to be in for a rude awakening when they discover that board games make basically zero dollars, and the board game stores that stay open do so either by money made off snacks/drinks, offering table space for TCG events, or just by the owners treating the place as a hobby/vanity project that loses money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
are they gonna try to charge $90 for a $70 board game that's missing the instructions and a handful of the pieces, or will that be confined to their used video games

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Is the used videogame market getting that bad?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

when was the last time you bought a video game at a physical store

i think my last was in 2007

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

^^ I still buy physical games a lot because even with huge hard drives on consoles, I get anxious about storage space.

More people are buying video games digitally, and you can't really trade that in.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Just about two months ago, mainly because most of Yoko Taro's work is still disc-only and the Amazon prices were spiking.

But not often, it's true. But people who post on forums like this are a biased sample of a much larger market.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Just about two months ago, mainly because most of Yoko Taro's work is still disc-only and the Amazon prices were spiking.

But not often, it's true. But people who post on forums like this are a biased sample of a much larger market.

Last I bothered to look it up, digital sales of console games were the majority by a pretty large margin.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-04-19-digital-sales-now-represent-74-percent-of-the-us-game-market

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Speaking as someone who used to work in an Electronics Boutique (which got subsumed by GameStop): it's always been that bad. Video game trade-ins are a total ripoff. Sell it new for $60, take it in trade for like $20 by the time you finish it (because the trade-in values drop like a stone), then sell the used copy for $40 regardless of if it's missing the manual or included extras or a case or whatever.

GameStop is basically having Radio Shack's problem, only slower: they're not adapting well to a digital sales world, and instead of changing their business model to match, they try to keep doing what they've always done while applying band-aids that aren't fixing the core problem.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

About a month ago. But I'm also the scrub that goes through the piles of sub $20 games for stuff a few years old instead of $60 new ones. Otherwise, it's all Amazon Prime for 20% off on pre-orders all the time.

In any case, Game Stop is going to find that the best way to get a small fortune in the tabletop games business is to start with a much larger one. There's a reason why there are no chains of LGSes making money. Game Stop is unfortunately going to die soon, and with it the main way to get older games at anything resembling reasonable prices.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 28, 2017

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I guess they weren't hemorrhaging money fast enough?

I'm genuinely not sure what they could do at this point to get back in the game. They could try to elbow into digital distribution but that ship kind of sailed and they have zero consumer confidence anymore.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Maybe they saw that Barnes and Noble was doing it and thought it'd be a good idea, too?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

D&D 6E will have the Warlord as a Gamestop prebuy exclusive

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Reene posted:

I guess they weren't hemorrhaging money fast enough?

I'm genuinely not sure what they could do at this point to get back in the game. They could try to elbow into digital distribution but that ship kind of sailed and they have zero consumer confidence anymore.

As someone who worked at Gamestop for a painfully long time: they're hosed. Even their bad attempts at band-aids are handled very, very poorly. My store attempted, over the span of about three years:

a.) Getting into cell phone/tablet trades. It involved a completely separate application on an ancient computer's terrible, jury rigged OS, so trading in a single phone could take up to an hour (if the connection stayed stable). You didn't know if a particular model of phone could be taken in without searching said program, and there was no way for people to check the website or anything. This, of course, lead to a number of very angry customers (typically holding, like, a plastic bag full of flip phones).

b.) The Gamestop Credit Card. Y'know, because you trust Gamestop like that. Not to be at all confused with the Gamestop Card, which is a separate entity we also had to jam down peoples' throats.

c.) We became a test store for Cricket Wireless, which I guess Gamestop bought or something. We were responsible for getting people hooked up with a cell phone service, or transferring them from their old service. Absolutely none of the process was explained to it. We had a helpful binder full of printed off information, none of which actually mattered to what we were doing. We had online classes we could take, but they only told us poo poo like what the logo represents and what the history of the company was, not how to actually do our god drat job. Even our manager gave up on the whole thing, and would come up with excuses for not being able to help people get Cricket. "Uhh, the system is down, come back in... about three hours when somebody else is behind this register."

Every one of these was treated like the second coming of God, critical to our jobs and to be pushed hard alongside Gamestop cards, year guarantees on products, side items, and reservations. You know, because we haven't irritated enough people yammering on for ten minutes about poo poo they don't want, we need to make it twenty minutes. Say that poo poo on the phone, too, make it part of the greeting. Customers love a long, convoluted phone greeting. My point is, even if Gamestop struck gold and found something that would keep them afloat, they'd gently caress it up. After I left the store I worked at dropped cell phone stuff and became a "merch store." Wall to wall Pop figures, cringey T-shirts and My Little Pony socks.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For anyone looking for inspiration for Blades in the Dark, the Guy Ritchie King Arthur movie may actually be a pretty good fit. It basically turns into a medieval heist picture pretty early on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, but what if they wanted to see a good movie?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Like, Italian Job heist picture, or Snatch heist picture?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Like, Italian Job heist picture, or Snatch heist picture?

It's very much a Guy Ritchie movie, so the latter.

It's a bit overlong and inconsistent but I couldn't help but be charmed by how weird it is. It's a King Arthur movie with a character referred to as Kung Fu George.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Hey anyone got some tips for running apocalypse world play by post?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

For anyone looking for inspiration for Blades in the Dark, the Guy Ritchie King Arthur movie may actually be a pretty good fit. It basically turns into a medieval heist picture pretty early on.

i'm getting the reverse suggestion here; buy & play blades in the dark so i can get that kind of story without the fuckin mess of a third act king arthur had

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, but what if they wanted to see a good movie?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i am also a cool guy who doesn't like the thing

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

as someone who watched it and more or less enjoyed it i still wouldn't suggest going to bat too hard on Guy Ritchie's King Arthur's account

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Banana Man posted:

During the recruit: Don't over-prep. Let your players determine as much of the world as you do. Don't worry as much about group cohesion; PbP handles people off doing their own thing much better.

During the game: go tits out. Make your descriptions metal and bloody and visceral. Players will give you a lot more to jump off so use that.

Also, in general, watch Turbo Kid.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Awesome thanks :)

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

my experience running any PbtA game is ten minutes of prep work followed by sitting back and letting my players go hogwild and do 99% of the narrative lifting for two hours.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Is there any basketball tabletop game I could mine ideas from? I basically want to create tabletop NBA2K MyPlayer for a group of dice rolling nerds and am looking for some good inspiration for on-court rules.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Kibner posted:

Is there any basketball tabletop game I could mine ideas from? I basically want to create tabletop NBA2K MyPlayer for a group of dice rolling nerds and am looking for some good inspiration for on-court rules.

It's not a direct parallel but Baseball Highlights 2045 is the gold standard of "Season based deckbuilders".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cease to Hope posted:

The Thing is great, what's wrong with you?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Halloween Jack posted:

The Thing is great, what's wrong with you?

One of Carpenter's best.

Plutonis posted:

FYAD, the Forum you still get mad at years after they made fun of you.

I loving love FYAD. You just don't get me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zurui posted:

If people take one thing away from this thread, let it be this.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Zurui posted:

Also, buy the soundtrack, it is great.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Drop owlbears: villagers taking the piss, or the ultimate apex predator?

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Banana Man posted:

I don't have experience doing that, exactly, but I do have experience running Dungeon World play by email. I found that the enemy was the lack of clearly defined session breaks. The move-countermove dynamic, where the GM improvises by reacting to the players, is going to build up momentum and you won't have a distinction between the 1st session and the subsequent sessions. What you should probably do, and what I should probably have done in restrospect, is to set some kind of artificial point when the phase with the worldbuilding/threat creation would end. If you don't, things get discursive and incoherent quickly.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Amazon doesn't push a ton of magazines in my face, has every game under the sun, and its used games tend to be better.

So, yeah, Gamestop is probably hurting if its trying board games, of all things, to bring in sales to a video game story. By that I mean the fact that board games don't even sell as remotely well as vidja games.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Spellbound Kingdoms or 7th Sea 2nd Edition?

Who shall reign supreme in the swashbuckler genre?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lichtenstein posted:

Spellbound Kingdoms or 7th Sea 2nd Edition?

Who shall reign supreme in the swashbuckler genre?

Spellbound Kingdoms is better in every way but 7th Sea will always have more widespread recognition.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Covok posted:

Amazon doesn't push a ton of magazines in my face, has every game under the sun, and its used games tend to be better.

So, yeah, Gamestop is probably hurting if its trying board games, of all things, to bring in sales to a video game story. By that I mean the fact that board games don't even sell as remotely well as vidja games.

They already sell funkopops and other tat to make the difference, so i guess their idea is to become a periphery of gaming in general store?

Theyre basically boned, so enjoy some discounts on your favorite games when they die.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Barudak posted:

They already sell funkopops and other tat to make the difference, so i guess their idea is to become a periphery of gaming in general store?

Theyre basically boned, so enjoy some discounts on your favorite games when they die.

If it's my favorite game I already own it, dummy

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Barudak posted:

Good riddance to bad rubbish, if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does anyone have any tips for making a recruitment thread over in the game room? I want to play Trail of Cthulhu but my IRL crew is the worst and I can't get anyone to actually show up so I want to try playing over Skype. Problem is I've never played an RPG online so not sure what I want to put in an OP

• Locked thread