Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Captain Invictus posted:

I went to see Deadpool and Logan in theaters. The Marvel tag on them meant really stupid parents brought their kids to see them regardless of the R rating.

I really like how both movies have HILARIOUSLY VIOLENT opening scenes, Deadpool with a dude loving splattered against a road sign as well as multiple gunned-down and eviscerated grunts, and Logan with a group of carjackers getting limbs graphically chopped off or get disemboweled.

This reminds me of the stories of parents taking their kids to see Sausage Party because of the assumption that

Jay Rust posted:

Cartoons are for children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah the sheer lack of remorse on display in The Act of Killing was pretty spooky and made me unhappy for a long time. I haven't heard about The Look of Silence before but it doesn't seem to answer that either

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

Enough to realize that my hatred of the protagonist wasn't going away. 3 hours, it said.

Edit: I mean I already read a plot synopsis and deleted the game so I'm already checked out on it as is.

One of the strengths of the game is it kind of has a typical, irritating anime protagonist and as the game goes on it becomes really clear that his personality is just there to push people away and make it so he never has to deal with real emotion. Like he's this over the top anime mad scientist because he's a dumb 4chan nerd that uses acting like that as a coping mechanism when he's shown as being not that smart or when a cute girl talks to him. I know saying "he's supposed to be irritating" has never made anyone like anything more ever, but it's really true and part of the reason the game works so well is because the main character is very quickly forced to drop the poo poo and actually deal with some big problems. Okabe is like a completely different character later on because the seriousness of everything makes him look back at the front he has put on in disgust.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Act of Killing was good. I really should get around to seeing The Look of Silence

It's a very different movie that is somehow more horrifying. It's a perfect companion movie because it kind of addresses the only real issue people had with the original, in that the ending realization didn't seem completely believable and was kind of taken too at face value by the movie. The Look of Silence mainly features a guy trying to get a moment like that and never, coming even close and just being forced to face that

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah the sheer lack of remorse on display in The Act of Killing was pretty spooky and made me unhappy for a long time. I haven't heard about The Look of Silence before but it doesn't seem to answer that either

As indicated above, if anything it's way way worse in that regard.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

One of the strengths of the game is it kind of has a typical, irritating anime protagonist and as the game goes on it becomes really clear that his personality is just there to push people away and make it so he never has to deal with real emotion. Like he's this over the top anime mad scientist because he's a dumb 4chan nerd that uses acting like that as a coping mechanism when he's shown as being not that smart or when a cute girl talks to him. I know saying "he's supposed to be irritating" has never made anyone like anything more ever, but it's really true and part of the reason the game works so well is because the main character is very quickly forced to drop the poo poo and actually deal with some big problems. Okabe is like a completely different character later on because the seriousness of everything makes him look back at the front he has put on in disgust.

Nah see I get that and I figure with all the praise they'd do something with it, but it's just as you say, just because it makes sense doesn't mean it's not annoying to sift through the thirtieth tirade where he's throwing out a bunch of bullshit I don't care about when there's cool time travel implications around the corner and literally every other character is more interesting/not as annoying as him.

I also don't think I have the patience for VNs anymore. The last one I gave an earnest effort to was Virtue's Last Reward and when it came to an ending (or not even an ending, I think it was blocked off until I did some other route), I just sighed and put it away because I didn't want to deal with that poo poo anymore.

S;G also very clearly only had any interaction through the cell phone and so I knew it would be what determines the ending, but it would never let me screen what I was sending and the protagonist again, more often than not, would send something douchebaggy instead of what I'd want to send which again is perfectly in character but drat, man.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I went to see Deadpool and Logan in theaters. The Marvel tag on them meant really stupid parents brought their kids to see them regardless of the R rating.

I really like how both movies have HILARIOUSLY VIOLENT opening scenes, Deadpool with a dude loving splattered against a road sign as well as multiple gunned-down and eviscerated grunts, and Logan with a group of carjackers getting limbs graphically chopped off or get disemboweled.

When i went to see Deadpool i theatres the cinema manager was standing outside the individual theatre for it to turn away any and all children and teens. I gave him a high-five for his efforts.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

i bet this has actually happened a few times though

it happens with Japanese film students who get all snobby and hate on Japanese movies

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

it happens with Japanese film students who get all snobby and hate on Japanese movies

kojima probably would kill and impersonate tarantino if he had the opportunity

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

I bet you lots of goons watch cartoons for children nowadays

I'm watching The Real Ghostbusters right now.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
u can watch both serious documentaries about war crimes and cartoons for children; hell, it's probably healthy to mix things up, as the old saying goes "variety is the dish best served cold"

precision posted:

oh gently caress yes it does, every culture that does a lot of cultural exchange has these people

a lot of the iconic youth fashion trends ppl associate with japan and by extension stylistic choices that like their bands and game designers make are just the result of a few decades of divergent evolution among japanese fanboys of american or european culture

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
and the act of killing IS a great film but probably don't watch it when you're already in a dark mood bc it won't make you feel much better

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

Nah see I get that and I figure with all the praise they'd do something with it, but it's just as you say, just because it makes sense doesn't mean it's not annoying to sift through the thirtieth tirade where he's throwing out a bunch of bullshit I don't care about when there's cool time travel implications around the corner and literally every other character is more interesting/not as annoying as him.

I also don't think I have the patience for VNs anymore. The last one I gave an earnest effort to was Virtue's Last Reward and when it came to an ending (or not even an ending, I think it was blocked off until I did some other route), I just sighed and put it away because I didn't want to deal with that poo poo anymore.

S;G also very clearly only had any interaction through the cell phone and so I knew it would be what determines the ending, but it would never let me screen what I was sending and the protagonist again, more often than not, would send something douchebaggy instead of what I'd want to send which again is perfectly in character but drat, man.

Honestly, as much as I love the game, S;G has even less interaction than you think. Most of the endings clearly flag themselves and are down to one decision and outside of that you have to respond to a handful of texts in the exact right way and if you don't, you don't get the true ending. Hell the phone stuff only determines if you get 1 of 3 endings, with one of those endings being the True ending except it ends before it gets to the good bit.

Still, it's too bad you didn't like the game because for me it's still far and away the best VN I've played.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

precision posted:

Yoh Yoshinori, one of the greatest animators in Japan, is a MASSIVE westaboo. If you've seen any Gainax anime like Gunbuster, Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, or FLCL, you've probably seen his stuff. The whole Asuka fight from End of Evangelion was mostly animated by him, for example, as well as most action scenes from Gurren Lagann and FLCL, and a lot of stuff from Panty And Stocking With Garterbelt. He's a king of fights, kineticism, and explosions; he's a master of giving physical feeling and weight to animation which is particularly hard to do.

He's the guy basically any animation studio calls on when they need a climactic moment animated in an incredible, movie-quality way in a relatively short period of time. This is a video of parts he has animated all on his own for all sorts of things, from Gainax shows to Toy Story bonus videos to Mass Effect animes(?!?), he's been at it for at least 30 years and he's a really cool dude. He just loves the craft, and hand-animates everything.

If you are at all a fan of animation as an art form, it's worth looking at his stuff and noticing what he does that very few others do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFRDSbjnasY&hd=1

A majority of the best animation in Gurren Lagann was done by him, as well, 16 of the most iconic scenes in this video(huge spoilers obviously) were his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s-ay0WZsVI&hd=1

He also draws Spongebob Squarepants and Powerpuff Girls fanart on his Pixiv, which I've forgotten the link to.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 29, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm actually starting to kind of like Phantom Hourglass, although I'm already tired of the fishing mini-game. That "you have to close your DS" puzzle was really loving confusing on the Wii U, though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also, I am watching Supernatural right now, which is very definitely a cartoon for children, except it has real people, and it pretends it's not for children.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

not trying to do a callout and I'm def taking a jokey thing too seriously, but I've always found "westaboo" to be funny since it's usually equating "is aware of internationally popular media" with "obsessed with dying industry that mostly targets shut-ins"

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
So next OP ya'll are never mentioning anime again, right?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHA! :unsmigghh:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Help Im Alive posted:

You're supposed to graduate to anime on your 13th birthday
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerpuff_Girls_Z

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Lol is this your first time here

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Motto posted:

not trying to do a callout and I'm def taking a jokey thing too seriously, but I've always found "westaboo" to be funny since it's usually equating "is aware of internationally popular media" with "obsessed with dying industry that mostly targets shut-ins"

Videogames aren't a dying industry

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

It's better to trick parents into bringing kids to incredibly violent films like in the 80s

When I saw Alien: Covenant, there was a guy with two children sitting in the row in front of me. I didn't really notice the girl, she was older, I think , probably like 14 or something. But the son sat directly in front of me, and I think he was like 10. I hope he appreciated how awesome the movie was and became a lifelong fan, as so many kids did with poo poo like that in past decades.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

http://gematsu.com/2017/05/final-fantasy-vii-remake-development-shifts-external-cooperation-internal-focus

RIP FF7R's chances of release

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Guess it's time for a new Naruto game, then.

That could actually indicate they don't intend to make it episodic anymore, though.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh hey, it's that guy from Seven

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPsQnsOHflc

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Heck. I've got a 25$ amazon gift card from a friend and I can either turn it into steambux and buy games, or I could scrape up an extra ten bucks and buy the last two volumes of the Ghost in the Shell manga...and I don't quite know what to do. The first GitS manga was really good, but buying Starcrawlers or Battle Brothers (if it goes on sale) could be fun....

I'd put a sigh here, but this is the best kind of problem tbh.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
scrounge up a bit more than that and get this instead, there's one available for about 39 shipped new

https://www.amazon.com/Nausica%C3%A4-Valley-Wind-Box-Set/dp/1421550644

if you want good manga, it's kinda hard to beat one of the most iconic ones written and drawn by hayao miyazaki himself, with one of the best female protagonists in fiction

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Captain Invictus posted:

scrounge up a bit more than that and get this instead, there's one available for about 39 shipped new

https://www.amazon.com/Nausica%C3%A4-Valley-Wind-Box-Set/dp/1421550644

if you want good manga, it's kinda hard to beat one of the most iconic ones written and drawn by hayao miyazaki himself, with one of the best female protagonists in fiction

I already own it! It's exactly as good as advertised~

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Apparently a BYOB thread was used as documentation in an irl trademark infringement denial document: http://religiouslibertyleague.org/Response%20TM%20Denial%20re%20Logo.pdf

I'm loving dying.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Palpek posted:

Apparently a BYOB thread was used as documentation in an irl trademark infringement denial document: http://religiouslibertyleague.org/Response%20TM%20Denial%20re%20Logo.pdf

I'm loving dying.

i think i understand and it's pretty funny if i'm reading it correctly, but i'm also really blazed so can you give me the footnotes version of this case

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Catloook

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Bicyclops posted:

Also, I am watching Supernatural right now, which is very definitely a cartoon for children, except it has real people, and it pretends it's not for children.

The first five seasons of Supernatural are legitimately good TV and it makes me sad that a lot of people who love similar shows like X-Files never really give it a chance because of the fanbase or the connotations of it being a CW show with two hunks as the leads.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I watched like 8 eps of Supernatural, and I wanted to like it, but it just seemed so boring and procedural.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The White Dragon posted:

i think i understand and it's pretty funny if i'm reading it correctly, but i'm also really blazed so can you give me the footnotes version of this case
- Some Scientology organization wants to be independant from The Church of Scientology that they think has created a monopoly for itself via various methods including trademarks
- This Scientology organization files a trademark for First Independent Church of Scientology but is denied because Scientology is trademarked
- They try to fight against the denial arguing that 'scientology' has become a generic term and they give different examples of its mainstream usage for the judge/jury to consider including the "scientology of pizza" thread in byob with its pyramid-pizza head photoshops
- Lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

wizard on a water slide posted:

a lot of the iconic youth fashion trends ppl associate with japan and by extension stylistic choices that like their bands and game designers make are just the result of a few decades of divergent evolution among japanese fanboys of american or european culture

yeah that's what i was getting at when i was talking of how it's weird/frustrating that the punk rock doctor literally never once mentions punk culture or music (neither does Ryuji even!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Captain Invictus posted:

Yoh Yoshinori, one of the greatest animators in Japan, is a MASSIVE westaboo. If you've seen any Gainax anime like Gunbuster, Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, or FLCL, you've probably seen his stuff. The whole Asuka fight from End of Evangelion was mostly animated by him, for example, as well as most action scenes from Gurren Lagann and FLCL, and a lot of stuff from Panty And Stocking With Garterbelt. He's a king of fights, kineticism, and explosions; he's a master of giving physical feeling and weight to animation which is particularly hard to do.

He's the guy basically any animation studio calls on when they need a climactic moment animated in an incredible, movie-quality way in a relatively short period of time. This is a video of parts he has animated all on his own for all sorts of things, from Gainax shows to Toy Story bonus videos to Mass Effect animes(?!?), he's been at it for at least 30 years and he's a really cool dude. He just loves the craft, and hand-animates everything.

If you are at all a fan of animation as an art form, it's worth looking at his stuff and noticing what he does that very few others do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFRDSbjnasY&hd=1

oh wow holy poo poo yeah i recognized his style immediately but i had no idea ONE GUY did all that :stare:

• Locked thread