Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

drat i should probably just close the door on my way out cause I'm like 3/10 dad maybe, y'all intimidating, but something to aspire towards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

hey shim

i think GIP as a whole needs your view on War Machine

General Stanley McChrystal was a goddamned soldiers soldier. He was the kinda general that ate (his one meal a day) side by side with enlisted schlubs. When TDY with his entourage they would do group pushes to lovely places like Chilis or Buffalo Wild Wings and get pretty drunk. He was a blue collar general.

I know from several different people that he (prior to the Obama firing at least...) was a big (D) supporter. He had a lot of positive poo poo to say about Hillary and Bill Clinton when he was the CO of 2nd Battalion 75th and then later as commander of the 75th. I learned that directly from SNCO's that served under him in the Regiment. So the guy isn't at all out of line politically with Obama, though his hands were dirty with GITMO, Extraordinary Renditions, Black Sites, and yes torture. Not done by him but under him, obviously. Despite that, he got plucked from JSOC (which he took from a 2 star command to a 3 star command) to command ISAF. You don't have a background as checkered as that of JSOC after 9/11 unless you yourself are a goddamn terrorist. So something tells me Obama trusted him politically. Note the lack of criticism and back stabbing from McChrystal.

He was ultimately fired for hubris. Bringing The Rolling Stones onboard to cover him in an expose was a loving awful idea. He was a former PR guy as a one star. He did the pentagon press room briefings for a time. He's media savvy. He and his team got way too loose and honest, on the record, in front of a Rolling Stones writer. Hence his downfall.

In all reality what the movie called SNORP is something called the F3EA cycle (Find Fix Finish Exploit Analyze.. wash rinse repeat) and it's something JSOC cooked up under McChrystal and Flynn. And it was a brilliant counter terrorism tactic, and is why we killed targets like AMZ and UBL. It's not called F3EA anymore but a version of it lives on today. It's uniquely adapted to allow operations to drive intelligence activity and vice versa. There's a ton of integration of intel at the assault force level for just this reason.

I think the movie didn't portray McChrystal realistically in that he was a very cerebral and energetic leader. Yes he was a good old boy off duty, but he was a consummate professional in even the strangest environs. The movie made it seem like he had only commanded in Iraq. He commanded major military forces in 3 countries, and smaller ones in countless other countries spanning every COCOM. All at once, not at separate times. As a 3 star. He was the most powerful and influential 3 star in the military.

I don't know dick about his time spent leading ISAF, I wasn't there. But the movie under played a great,if misunderstood, general. Maybe I'm biased, he promoted me twice, signed off on 4 of my medals, and coined me 4 separate times (The fourth time I told him I already had 3 coins and the guy reaches in his pocket and gives me this giant commanders coin/beer bottle opener instead of a regular coin. Dude was a class act)

The movie was funny because they nailed his entourage down to the black kid (in reality there were two) from the JCU that did his comms. He's the farthest thing from a Luddite so he kept those guys busy with all manners of poo poo. Apparently they followed him to ISAF according to the movie. They really nailed the entourage. Not sure why they chose to make him such a buffoon. He wasn't one.

I enjoyed the movie.

I was pretty drunk for most of this post but now I'm switching to weed.

God bless.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Did McChrystal really run like C-3PO or what?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
War Machine was awesome.

Sand Castle was okay too.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I watched Sand Castle a few days ago. I don't normally watch stuff like that but my girlfriend loves watching GWOT-type movies and she sold me on "and they have to get water flowing!" because that's one of the major things I did over there. It's like you take Jarhead and Generational Kill, make them about the Army instead, and then water it way down. It was ok.

I'm probably gonna watch War Machine at some point either tomorrow or later on in the week.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
We spent the first three months of our deployment drilling or digging or whatever for water.

On the side of a mountain.

Think about that for a second.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What's the difference between a $120+ power drill and a $50 power drill? I won't be using it much, but over the last two years I've borrowed my neighbor's enough that I was thinking of getting one for myself.

Also if you're up for recommendations, cordless is really my only make or break requirement.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

the internals. battery size would be first guess.

breaks right after warranty vs breaks the day after that.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
The real answer is to be rich enough that you don't have to ask.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

A Bad Poster posted:

Did McChrystal really run like C-3PO or what?

gently caress, i was gonna ask that :mad:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TBeats posted:

What's the difference between a $120+ power drill and a $50 power drill? I won't be using it much, but over the last two years I've borrowed my neighbor's enough that I was thinking of getting one for myself.

Also if you're up for recommendations, cordless is really my only make or break requirement.

I've had a Milwaukee cordless for years now and have been perfectly happy with it.

e: it's not cheap but it will do a lot better than a $40 harbor freight.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 28, 2017

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, he ran like that.

Wonder how he feels about the movie.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

His wife being the concerned voice of reason when everyone was shotgunning Jack straight from the bottle reminded me of my first school field trip after 9th grade (when teachers slowly started losing control over us), so I figured that must have been massively exaggerated.

Then I remembered my own experience with USAREUR command and quickly accepted that they were probably being conservative with their depiction.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

TBeats posted:

Quality, I have a $50 craftsman drill and it wobbles like a motherfucker, and it will probably break the first time it's dropped. My Milwaukee is made of better quality plastic, holds bits better, and the batteries last longer.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Dp3VDOjwQ

:perfect:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I knew only of McChrystal through news reports and such, so I didn't have much of an impression of him going into the beginning of "War Machine." At the end, though, I couldn't decide whether he was a brilliant, if flawed, commander, or a complete buffoon. There were some laughs, sure, but it's like Netflix couldn't decide how they wanted to characterize McChrystal so they made this weird bipolar story about a dumb general and his merry band of feuding fuckups. It's like the first half was based on the sober characterization in the Rolling Stone piece ("The Runaway General") and the second half was based on the freewheeling activities portrayed in "The Operators" (and yes, I know that both were by the same guy).

Ultimately, the movie was :mediocre:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I liked it, Pitts performance was hilarious :shrug:

Though the whole boots on the ground stuff in the second half felt really awkward

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

He was the lovely allman. Ratted out his bandmates (the black drummer iirc) when he got busted for drugs. I imagine Duane is just ignoring him now.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
War Machine was alright.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

What would harambe think about America today?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

As long as he gets to kill more kids I doubt he cares

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I met him once and he had the most limp noodle handshake I've ever experienced. Maybe he just didn't like shaking hands, I don't know.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Mike-o posted:

I met him once and he had the most limp noodle handshake I've ever experienced. Maybe he just didn't like shaking hands, I don't know.

Harambe doesn't shake hands, he shakes toddlers

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Rad Lieutenant posted:

lmbo

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Koelsch isn't a lager though.

Listen, I'm not saying that there aren't occasions were lighter beers have their uses (heck, I'm planning on going redneck-tubing with a 30-pack of Keystone light in Oak Creek canyon tomorrow, because it's just lovely enough for the occasion), but we're talking about Koelsch in Cologne here. It's a 0.2l glass of beer in a country where you could get a regular sized, equally mild (not "light" as in watered down) Pilsener for less money-per-volume.

Why not have a nostalgia beer?

Miller, Coors, and A-B weren't always the continent-spanning pisswater behemoths that they are today. Years ago, before their sharper marketing and savvier distribution methods made them the Big 3 of Blandness, the country was full of cheap regional lagers.
This isn't in the drunk thread because it's more dad than drunk. If you're an American, your father probably and your grandfather definitely drank these beers.
Most of them were founded by German immigrants in the 19th century and marketed to working class German immigrants.
Some have persisted in their own regions, and many have been resurrected by Pabst. Many have charmingly ornate old-timey labels.
Beers like Stroh's, Olympia, National Bohemian, Stag, Narragansett, Lone Star, and Schlitz.
Why drink something created in the 80s to sell to poor college students like Keystone when you can enjoy a little bit of regional history?
So the next time you have an unpretentious cookout, camping trip, or float trip that calls for cheap cans of adjunct lager, go ahead and grab something different.
It's what your grandfather would have done.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Stultus Maximus posted:

Why not have a nostalgia beer?

Miller, Coors, and A-B weren't always the continent-spanning pisswater behemoths that they are today. Years ago, before their sharper marketing and savvier distribution methods made them the Big 3 of Blandness, the country was full of cheap regional lagers.
This isn't in the drunk thread because it's more dad than drunk. If you're an American, your father probably and your grandfather definitely drank these beers.
Most of them were founded by German immigrants in the 19th century and marketed to working class German immigrants.
Some have persisted in their own regions, and many have been resurrected by Pabst. Many have charmingly ornate old-timey labels.
Beers like Stroh's, Olympia, National Bohemian, Stag, Narragansett, Lone Star, and Schlitz.
Why drink something created in the 80s to sell to poor college students like Keystone when you can enjoy a little bit of regional history?
So the next time you have an unpretentious cookout, camping trip, or float trip that calls for cheap cans of adjunct lager, go ahead and grab something different.
It's what your grandfather would have done.

The old Olympia Beer brewery is right near me, it shut down a while back in 2003 after Pabst bought them in 1999 :(

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
A couple times a year, I'll put a slice of braunschweiger, a slice of limburger, and a slice of onion on rye bread and wash it down with Schlitz. Because that's what my grandfather would have done.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
My grandfather would sit down with a Ballantine and a bowl of jelly beans, and put on The Quiet Man (which is a great movie, by the way).

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Naked Bear posted:

My grandfather would sit down with a Ballantine and a bowl of jelly beans, and put on The Quiet Man (which is a great movie, by the way).

That movie is super good. I need to watch it again

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Rad Lieutenant posted:

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Stultus Maximus posted:

those taste like balls and the big 3 own them anyways.

just buy bud light instead of trying to make some lovely joke about keystone and redneck activities that no one is going to get. the whole point of tubing is to drink one thousand beers, get a sunburn, and piss your bathing suit repeatedly aka have a good time. if you're lucky, some other human who has drank one thousand beers, has a wicked sunglasses tan and pissed themselves a dozen times that day will put your weird uncut german cock in his/her mouth.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Mike-o posted:

I'm a retard and my IED blasted sadbrains made me confuse who I met, it was General Casey that had a limp dick handshake.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

My dad drank Michelob in High School/Coast Guard before I was born :shrug:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Carteret posted:

My dad drank Michelob in High School/Coast Guard before I was born :shrug:

sounds like a pussy, if nice, dad

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015
My 1st Platoon Leader told a story of when he was a weapons squad leader in 3rd batt when McChrystal was the Regimental Commander. They were getting a class on the new 240s as they were replacing the 60s. McChrystal just happened to be walking by and jumped in and started disassembling and reassembling the guns right along side a bunch of privates. I also heard stories about later even as a general he would constantly jump into the stack and start clearing houses with the assault force.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

subterfudge posted:

My 1st Platoon Leader told a story of when he was a weapons squad leader in 3rd batt when McChrystal was the Regimental Commander. They were getting a class on the new 240s as they were replacing the 60s. McChrystal just happened to be walking by and jumped in and started disassembling and reassembling the guns right along side a bunch of privates. I also heard stories about later even as a general he would constantly jump into the stack and start clearing houses with the assault force.

Yes. He did this a lot, he was a lead from the front General. That movie really simplified a remarkable man/career down to some sound bites.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Saw this on imgur and thought it would be appropriate to share (guy tracked down the grave and details for a WW2 vet as requested by the vet's 80 yr old sister): http://imgur.com/gallery/fsSSv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Got a raise :toot:

• Locked thread