Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

What is the difference between a state and a nation?

A nation is a group of people inhabiting a territory united by a common culture, history and/or language.

A state is a political unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

learnincurve posted:

You are utterly and completely missing the point. It's the initial cost of buying those bulbs that's the issue here, that's not anactotal evidence that's the cost of bulbs vs how much people receive in benefits. Yes energy saving bulbs do blow in houses with dodgy electrics. My old house had what can only be discribed as a catastrophic electrics failure and it went from bulbs blowing once a year to bulbs blowing once a month or when certain electrical sockets were used. The only difference with led vs normal bulbs was that a normal bulb went plink and a led bulb often exploded. It's why I sold the house. A dodgy landlord wouldn't have given a flying fig.

There are plenty of people who go two weeks between bin collections quite happily, those people are not poor people. It's the Sam Vimes theory again, if you can only afford cheap stuff then that cheap stuff is going to break. Where does it go if the bin is jump on top of it full all the time? How do you go once or twice a year to the tip with all your accumulated broken stuff if you don't have a car?

A lot of people think that they have lived the life of a poor just because they have been to Uni, where they are wrong is that if you are at Uni then most people have a safety net of being able to go home to their parents and get a good meal or their clothes washed. They have no idea what grinding inescapable poverty feels like. I've been there, Jesus Christ, try rooting around the sofa for coppers so you can hopefully buy a loaf of economy bread because you have literally nothing in the cupboards and don't get paid for two days, then tell me it's fair to make the poor choose between food and loving light bulbs.

Hi, I realise this is anecdote, but my family was poor as gently caress in the third world and there were a drat lot of "choose between food and x" decisions made daily and my parents still bought low-consumption bulbs (the gas-filled ones) when they came out, replacing the old incandescent ones over a period of time (not all at once - starting with the bulb that was used the most), because they had a brain and thought "hmmm if we reduce the power bill then we'll be a tiny bit less tight in the future". They did this kind of thing (fixing broken stuff also) when money came in from some gig my father could do. There were no benefits for the unemployed, of any sort, in that time, in that country. My father was too old for the job market. We had to beg from small neighbourhood grocers, and walk miles to get the best prices from different supermarkets in different goods, hunting offers. My diet was mostly potato/pasta/rice based for long stretches of time. Yes, I have a very good idea of what "grinding inescapable poverty" feels like, thanks.

Please don't underestimate the poor, many of them have brains and are capable of doing compromises, and can get creatively thrifty as gently caress

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes you just got to kill a nonce, in the street, with your dad's machete (why do you have a machete dad?). It's common sense.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm not sure we should be deciding lightbulb policy based on homeowners whose electrics are clearly in a dangerous state.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Pissflaps posted:

What is the difference between a state and a nation?

To quote the The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Politics:

quote:

nation‐state

Literally, a sovereign entity dominated by a single nation. A mythical and intellectual construct with a highly persuasive and powerful political force. It is the primary unit in the study of international relations. Yet although it has a specific meaning it is also a highly abused political term, especially when too readily applied to the ‘real’ world. Its meaning is found in the coincidence of its two parent terms, ‘state’ and ‘nation’. ‘State’ refers to the political organization that displays sovereignty both within geographic borders and in relation to other sovereign entities. A world of nation‐states implies an international system of pure sovereign entities, relating to each other legally as equals. ‘Nation’ refers rather to the population within, sharing a common culture, language, and ethnicity with a strong historical continuity. This manifests itself in most members in a sentiment of collective, communal identity. When the two concepts, ‘nation’ and ‘state’ are combined, this creates an enormously compelling mixture of legitimacy and efficiency for governing elites.

Unfortunately, there does not exist, has never existed, a nation‐state in the perfect sense. Nevertheless, it has commanded a strong following, as governments have endeavoured to attain the legitimacy and political stability it brings. It was used most effectively in the nation‐building of the nineteenth century, and has been the target more recently of many Third World governments hoping to build nations in support of their states as part of their socio‐economic development. A common strategy of elites in building a sense of internal cohesiveness is in creating strong enemy images from outside or within the society. It is often this feature that causes dynamic instability for nation‐states in the world system.

The later part of the twentieth century witnessed a decline in the power of the ‘nation‐states’, as other bodies gained power in international relations, bodies such as large multinational corporations, international organizations, and other collectivities. The rise of supranationalism, most clearly in the European Union, could well make the simple model of single‐level sovereignty implied by the nation‐state even more irrelevant. So could the problem of extranational minorities (such as Germans outside Germany, and Hungarians outside Hungary). For comparison, see also nationalism.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Baron Corbyn posted:

A nation is a group of people inhabiting a territory united by a common culture, history and/or language.

A state is a political unit.

I'm interested in how he defines the difference while still insisting the California example is not applicable.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

vodkat posted:

To quote the The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Politics:

You've provided the definite of 'nation state'.

Neither California nor Scotland are a nation state.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

Hi, I realise this is anecdote, but my family was poor as gently caress in the third world and there were a drat lot of "choose between food and x" decisions made daily and my parents still bought low-consumption bulbs (the gas-filled ones) when they came out, replacing the old incandescent ones over a period of time (not all at once - starting with the bulb that was used the most), because they had a brain and thought "hmmm if we reduce the power bill then we'll be a tiny bit less tight in the future". They did this kind of thing (fixing broken stuff also) when money came in from some gig my father could do. There were no benefits for the unemployed, of any sort, in that time, in that country. My father was too old for the job market. We had to beg from small neighbourhood grocers, and walk miles to get the best prices from different supermarkets in different goods, hunting offers. My diet was mostly potato/pasta/rice based for long stretches of time. Yes, I have a very good idea of what "grinding inescapable poverty" feels like, thanks.

Please don't underestimate the poor, many of them have brains and are capable of doing compromises, and can get creatively thrifty as gently caress

This explains your pizza opinions.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Does this increase blood flow? Shes always drinking no sugar lemonade due to her diabetes

I'm going to make the broad point that maybe some water or squash may be good for her

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Never liked democracy anyway

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

You've provided the definite of 'nation state'.

Neither California nor Scotland are a nation state.

jesus loving christ pissflaps! I tried to find a, simple, concise entry, from a source you couldn't possibly find issue with, and I even highlighted the important sentences for you!

At this point you are either being willfully obtuse or lack basic reading comprehension.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

vodkat posted:

jesus loving christ pissflaps! I tried to find a, simple, concise entry, from a source you couldn't possibly find issue with, and I even highlighted the important sentences for you!

At this point you are either being willfully obtuse or lack basic reading comprehension.

but remember he "argues in good faith"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

vodkat posted:

you are either being willfully obtuse

This one. It's this one. It's always loving this one.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

vodkat posted:

I think you're way past the point of being able to make a successful argument that Scotland could declare UDI and have it taken seriously by the international community.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
My money's on Pissflaps actually being illiterate. It would provide a most elegant solution, which I'm fond of as a mathematician.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Namtab posted:

I'm going to make the broad point that maybe some water or squash may be good for her

I'll tell her to drink more water then

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Scotland could do UDI, but I suspect it would not end well for scotland

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Dabir posted:

This explains your pizza opinions.

While it's true that pizza has been a luxury food to me for much of my life, my opinions on pizza are average for my homeland. Our pizza is more southern-italian in origin, while northern-italian pizza is the rule here in the UK.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Scotland should do a DUI.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Cerebral Bore posted:

My money's on Pissflaps actually being illiterate. It would provide a most elegant solution, which I'm fond of as a mathematician.

Pissflaps is literally Charlie from It's Always Sunny, he's been complaining about Corbyn when this whole time he just works in Corby post office and is really confused why people are always talking about it on TV

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I think you're way past the point of being able to make a successful argument that Scotland could declare UDI and have it taken seriously by the international community.

We are arguing about if you understand the difference between a state and a nation now. It is a very basic political concept, which you appear not to get.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Namtab posted:

Scotland could do UDI, but I suspect it would not end well for scotland

Nothing will end well for Scotland. Such is our history.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Kegluneq posted:

This is great, if only for the 'bosses'.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

That's the stuff. How about BoJo throwing flags?

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

forkboy84 posted:

Nothing will end well for Scotland. Such is our history.

Please no Scottish cringe Forkboy. We need to stop telling ourselves this. It's not only bullshit but self fulfilling bullshit.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Or Richard Branson throwing bedpans.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

learnincurve posted:

You are utterly and completely missing the point. It's the initial cost of buying those bulbs that's the issue here, that's not anactotal evidence that's the cost of bulbs vs how much people receive in benefits. Yes energy saving bulbs do blow in houses with dodgy electrics. My old house had what can only be discribed as a catastrophic electrics failure and it went from bulbs blowing once a year to bulbs blowing once a month or when certain electrical sockets were used. The only difference with led vs normal bulbs was that a normal bulb went plink and a led bulb often exploded. It's why I sold the house. A dodgy landlord wouldn't have given a flying fig.

There are plenty of people who go two weeks between bin collections quite happily, those people are not poor people. It's the Sam Vimes theory again, if you can only afford cheap stuff then that cheap stuff is going to break. Where does it go if the bin is jump on top of it full all the time? How do you go once or twice a year to the tip with all your accumulated broken stuff if you don't have a car?

A lot of people think that they have lived the life of a poor just because they have been to Uni, where they are wrong is that if you are at Uni then most people have a safety net of being able to go home to their parents and get a good meal or their clothes washed. They have no idea what grinding inescapable poverty feels like. I've been there, Jesus Christ, try rooting around the sofa for coppers so you can hopefully buy a loaf of economy bread because you have literally nothing in the cupboards and don't get paid for two days, then tell me it's fair to make the poor choose between food and loving light bulbs.

And you're so far past the point that you don't realise you turned off of it 16 miles back.

You don't have to go out and replace all your bulbs straight away, you replace them as they go. You're also once again going for the blind deaf wheelchair bound grandma of examples to fail once again at proving your point. Your example of having to root around for coppers to buy economy bread would mean you wouldn't have been able to afford a normal old bulb either. Jfc read back what you're posting. You're alluding to the fact that all 'poor people' wallow in their own filth and darkness because of led lightbulbs and biweekly bin collections. And you're even daring to pull a no true scotsman on it too. I'm sure the multitude of posters in here who've lived through poverty love what you're saying right now.

And i'm going to pull you on the landlords thing here. My experience of renting, and i've rented some lovely places in my time, is that electrics are the ONE thing landlords will sort out (eventually) since it can be immediately life threatening and will get them properly in the poo poo. Mold? Damp? They don't care, but broken sockets and exploding lights? Yeah they'll sort that. Just because you couldn't be bothered to sort out the electrics of a house you owned does not mean landlords wouldn't.

PIGS BREXIT
Mar 29, 2017

And who said brexit was all bad, at least we won't be able to poison this well any more

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I really think we should put a moratorium on all the oy vey hope is a lie bollocks until after the election is lost, it's a real buzzkill when things are actually looking up for once.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

PIGS BREXIT posted:

And who said brexit was all bad, at least we won't be able to poison this well any more

But I don't live in that well. I live in this one.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

vodkat posted:

We are arguing about if you understand the difference between a state and a nation now. It is a very basic political concept, which you appear not to get.

No we are arguing about whether Scottish UDI is remotely possible or not.

I asked how you define the difference between nation and state because you seem to think it's the trump card in declaring California to be different to Scotland - but considering they both, by your own definitions, have attributes of both nations (shared culture) and states (are political units) all you've managed to do is argue against yourself.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Gort posted:

Or Richard Branson throwing bedpans.

That was Hunt, on a Virgin airlines plane.

It's a great game.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

learnincurve posted:

There are plenty of people who go two weeks between bin collections quite happily, those people are not poor people.

gently caress off. I have been on benefits a long time, and I can easily go a month between bin collections, because - being both poor and single - I don't have much stuff to throw out. (No doubt my habit of saving up for long-lasting lightbulbs has helped a little in this.)

I know it would be different if I had children. Your experience of poverty is not universalizable either.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

No we are arguing about whether Scottish UDI is remotely possible or not.

I asked how you define the difference between nation and state because you seem to think it's the trump card in declaring California to be different to Scotland - but considering they both, by your own definitions, have attributes of both nations (shared culture) and states (are political units) all you've managed to do is argue against yourself.

You are woefully misrepresenting my argument here.

Lets go back and look at the thinks I said:

1. The constitutional case for or against a second indy ref without westminster approval is an open constitutional question until (if ever) it happens
2. Comparisons to Catalonia do not provide any answers here for a great variety of reasons, which I did not elaborate on, but alluded to the most obvious difference, which is the that Scotland has and continues to exist in a very different national and state context to Catalonia. This includes a strong separate national identity (hint, that's what the S and N in SNP stand for) and a differentiated state apparatus from England, often in a complex legal tangle.

The difference between a nation and a state is not a sliver bullet in any argument, but the complexities of the way in which the state and nation interact, and have interacted, in Scotland set it apart from many other independence campaigns. Defining a nation and a state is a very complex business, that academics have spent their lives agonizing over the details of, but recognizing that these are two distinct, and important concepts, is something that is a basic requirement for understanding anything about modern politics. The fact that the two often overlap, does nothing to invalidate anything I have said, in if you actually read the definition I quoted you would have seen that this issue is briefly addressed there.

I'm not going to continue arguing this with you on this, because you clearly just want to be right, and an adversarial style of argument isn't going to teach you anything new, but if you really aren't seeing the difference between a nation and a state, or why it matters, please do go and read up on it because as someone that spends all their time on the internet posting about politics you really owe it to yourself to get the same theoretical level as a first year undergraduate.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

And you're so far past the point that you don't realise you turned off of it 16 miles back.

You don't have to go out and replace all your bulbs straight away, you replace them as they go. You're also once again going for the blind deaf wheelchair bound grandma of examples to fail once again at proving your point. Your example of having to root around for coppers to buy economy bread would mean you wouldn't have been able to afford a normal old bulb either. Jfc read back what you're posting. You're alluding to the fact that all 'poor people' wallow in their own filth and darkness because of led lightbulbs and biweekly bin collections. And you're even daring to pull a no true scotsman on it too. I'm sure the multitude of posters in here who've lived through poverty love what you're saying right now.

And i'm going to pull you on the landlords thing here. My experience of renting, and i've rented some lovely places in my time, is that electrics are the ONE thing landlords will sort out (eventually) since it can be immediately life threatening and will get them properly in the poo poo. Mold? Damp? They don't care, but broken sockets and exploding lights? Yeah they'll sort that. Just because you couldn't be bothered to sort out the electrics of a house you owned does not mean landlords wouldn't.

Also the sheer deafening stupidity of the LED bulbs point drowned out the fact that two-weekly bin collections - like incandescent bulbs - are almost entirely a middle-class obsession. Let's face it his, putative family so poor they literally have to starve to buy a £3 light bulb are unlikely to be producing a huge amount of food waste.

It's certainly a brave move to try and dress up the most Daily Mail of causes as aggressive class war - I'm eagerly waiting to see if he can come up with an angle on how banning quack diets and long-lens shots of the children of celebrities is actually an attempt to force the poor into slavery.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

serious gaylord posted:

You don't have to go out and replace all your bulbs straight away, you replace them as they go.

HOW??? You don't even seem to understand that a pensioner in disability benefits can easily afford stuff.

Let's play the living on benefits game.

Young man 22, university degree, no dependants, one bed flat in a northern town with rent of £80 a week in council tax band c.

£57.90 a week jobseekers. -£1.78 in council tax -£1 water rates. Leaves £55.12 per week to live on. Token meters which people on the dole can only get have a .25p a day standing charge on them so take away £3.50. That's £51.62 left before you even turn on a hot water tap.
Going to the job centre is £3, gas and electric £10. Now we are down to £38.62. Want to attend a job interview and keep a phone on so the employer can contact you? That's another £3 bus trip and a Giff gaff contract is £2.50 a week. Now we are at £33.12.

£4.73 a day. To buy food, clothing, furniture, white goods, bus fares and so on. I also didn't give this hypothetical young man a maxed out credit card or overdraft fees. That's another £5 a week, and drops the poor lad to £4 a day to live on.

Now how insignificant does that £3.75 lightbulb feel?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Zalakwe posted:

Please no Scottish cringe Forkboy. We need to stop telling ourselves this. It's not only bullshit but self fulfilling bullshit.
The only time recently I've felt embarrassed to be Scottish was when rejected the chance to leave this godforsaken union.

Well, that & whenever I watch the national football team.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

learnincurve posted:

Now how insignificant does that £3.75 lightbulb feel?

Jesus christ give it a rest

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Perhaps the problem here is not LED bulbs (which, after all, save money in even the short to medium term) the problem here is an unliveably low level of income

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You want a reason not to vote Tory, look at what they will make you live on if you lose your job.

• Locked thread