Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

How are you supposed to deal with the encounters in the eighth floor of Thabes? Getting 1-2 fire dragons per encounter beefier than the earlier mini boss seems like an insane jump to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Claire is making the whitewings look bad. Also Leon's Act 4 conversation with Celica is really good.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 29, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

dude789 posted:

Claire is making the whitewings look bad. Also Leon's Act 4 conversation with Celica is really good.

Leon in general is really good.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
His stats weren't the best, but he was easily the MVP in Celica's act 3 for me because he kept critting all the bosses with special moves.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I meant as a character but also yeah he's an extremely useful unit too. One of the best characters in the game all round.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

dude789 posted:

My Clair gained 0 strength in 20 odd levels. She ended up with 14 due to fountains and stat boosters which left her unable to do much in Act 4.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

My Clair gained like 4 levels of Strength and even before I gave her Ambrosias she played the extremely important role of the only unit across both armies who could double every single enemy in the game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SyntheticPolygon posted:

My Clair gained like 4 levels of Strength and even before I gave her Ambrosias she played the extremely important role of the only unit across both armies who could double every single enemy in the game.

That was Catria, Est, and Celica for me.

They had absurd speed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
General thoughts after the 2nd run through.

Alm's Army
-Faye might as well start as a cleric because her utility gives way too many options.
-Silque is of course really good with Warp, but her Invoke Dreads are good options for taking more than 2 hits and you honestly want less Invokes since they clog the lane less.
-Clive is decent as a physical, mobile wall. Mathilda is a Res tank and one of your fastest units.
-Clair's speed is more useful on Alm's path since there's far less 20+ speed enemies to compete against.
-Kliff works really well as an Archer with his speed growth, a bit too meh as a Mage since he doesn't learn Seraphim.
-Tobin is a better mage than Archer, as Excaliber makes the early game easy and Physic keeps him relevant later on.
-Delthea's base stats are absurdly good for Alm's route, and she has the best spell list.
-Tatiana is really silly for how broken she is. Spam recovery ASAP until she learns Fortify.
-Alm's army is very low maintenance since the weapons you actually need to buy are lances and bows. No one uses swords besides Alm and Mercs, and the Mages get absurdly powerful rings to make them the best units.

Celica's army
-Atlas, as tempting as it is to pair his awesome STR with the merc bases, should probably be an Archer or Mage. There's just too many sword users excluding him, and he'll fill a niche as a second Killer Bow user or be a great Rescuer.
-Not impressed with the White Wings even with far less Anti-Fliers on Normal. Outside of Act 3 and a couple swamp missions, they're just too fragile and "slow" to be terrific units. Their main problem is that late game has eyeballs that have 21 speed and hit hard.. Unless you have blessed Whitewings, they will die pretty quickly.
-Celica's army is actually pretty annoying to maintain weapons, because you have so many lance users and not enough good lances. The Javelin is bad but it's literally your only one for quite a while.
-You really want Brave or Silver Swords on your multitude of sword users, because you face so many high terrain units and way more Dreadfighters than Alm.
-It is incredibly annoying that the only Physic healer on the team is Genny, who's probably busy Invoking every turn.

Both armies, god Barons are so useless. I even specifically gave Valbar a shield that erases his magic weakness and there's just no point when Conrad is just as beefy but also can double and hit things hard.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'm playing on hard and I loving hate how tanky enemy dreadfighters are.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I've just started Act 3 and it's nice how it manages the 2 Armies thing.

I've taken Alm back to the Deliverance hideout to do the side-quest for the Scholarly Man in Zofia Castle. Do I just need to find a specific enemy in here to get the item?

It's a pretty fun game so far, I think sometimes I can get burned out on FE games very quickly, especially playing on Classic and resetting if someone dies. Mila's Turnwheel is great for that though, although a couple of times I've had characters die on me right at the end of a fight so I don't even get the opportunity to turn back time. :v:

In Act 2, my Celica learned Seraphim right after I finished taking care of all the Pirates (which I guess the game is roughly designed to do), so I was able to go back and take on the Necrodragon.

I made Gray a Mercenary and gave him the Lightning Sword, but his defense was so low for ages (I think it's a little better now) that he was like a glass canon.

Also is it just me or does Nosferatu seem a bit overpowered? It has kind of made Faye quite invincible, I'm so used to Clerics in FE not being able to be attacked at all, but she's outdamaging a lot of enemies (so far, I'm sure it'll change though) which lets her heal whatever damage she did receive.

The dungeons are ok but I kind of dislike how annoying it is to go Promote units sometimes. Some of the dungeons you can run straight through to the Mila statue and not encounter any enemies though.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
gently caress the poison marsh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.twitch.tv/kylemccarley

alm's va will be streaming the game starting tomorrow.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/kylemccarley

alm's va will be streaming the game starting tomorrow.

I thought he sounded similar to Mikizuki in Iron Blooded Orphans but I was surprised to see the other roles he has had.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Recent works:

=

===

===

==

=

==

=

=

=

=

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Oh one thing that I forgot to mention is that I really like that the game has more or less full voice acting. I mean there are some NPCs who don't, and there some conversations in bases which aren't voiced I think? But it's not like Awakening (and Fates also?) where you'd maybe get one line of voiced dialogue followed by random grunts, "Yes", "Chrom!" or something similar.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The only ones who aren't voiced are the ones who have a sidequest associated with them.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Terper posted:

The only ones who aren't voiced are the ones who have a sidequest associated with them.
Is there any particular reason for that? Just too much dialogue for an NPC?

e: So is that an easy way to check which NPCs have sidequests? :v:

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

Alm may be the public face of the Deliverance, but Clair is really the one running things

:allears:

CORN NOG fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 29, 2017

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
So is the general consensus that the post-game dungeon is not fun and not really worth doing?

Also, who is the guy in the yellow armour on the Gaiden boxart?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Starsnostars posted:

So is the general consensus that the post-game dungeon is not fun and not really worth doing?

Valbar.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Starsnostars posted:

The post game is there if you're one of those people that loved taking on the max amount of challenge like Apothesis for Awakening.

I've been doing it once I committed to a team, it's fun watching max stats Atlas destroying everything with Tigerstance.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I thought it was Valbar, it's just strange that he made it on to the boxart considering he's not a main character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Starsnostars posted:

I thought it was Valbar, it's just strange that he made it on to the boxart considering he's not a main character.

I mean back when FE gaiden had no dialogue it was easy to see Valbar as a bit of a third protagonist since he led his own group that met up with celica's early on and was one of like 4 people in the game with a stated motivation.

Of course in Echoes either Clive, Conrad, or Saber took that third protagonist role.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Am I missing something, or is there no way to get these four losers across the river?

Alm, Silque, Clive, and Gray just walked across the river. Faye and Clair of course flew over, but there doesn't seem to be any other way across, unless I am being an idiot.

I really want Tobin to take pot shots at those annoying conjurers.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I don't think I've gotten to that map, but, warp?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

So what is the point of reclassing my dread fighters to villager?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

PlasticAutomaton posted:

So what is the point of reclassing my dread fighters to villager?

That's the only way for infinite levels. Your characters always keep their stats.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

GulagDolls posted:

I don't think I've gotten to that map, but, warp?

That worked! Kinda forgot about Warp. I've mostly been using Silque to summon her cannon fodder...

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Here's a question for folks who played Gaiden. Is it a little surreal to have hundreds of people discussing the relative merits of Kliff and Tobin on the internet?

I imagine it must feel at least a bit weird.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am a real fan of the voice acting in this game as not only has it generally been good, the amount of voiced content really adds to the atmosphere of the game.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I just killed Dracoshield Jedah turn 2 on a low turn count run.

Life is good.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 30, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I thought this had been linked already, but I couldn't find it on a quick skim of the last few pages, so I figured it might be worth another mention:

8-4 did a podcast on their work for this one. They had people from the treehouse on, too, so there's commentary on the other localizations for the series. Mostly broad strokes outside of Echoes, and almost nothing about Fates, but it's good stuff.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Tae posted:

Recent works:
==

the year of cherami leigh is still going strong

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Apparently you can fight the final map again in the postgame if you go to the Duma Temple altar, but it doesn't tell you beforehand that's what happens and it doesn't let you exit the map, so it's kind of a pain if you hadn't saved in a while.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Tarians_/status/868283497441636354

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
When I saw that picture on reddit they said it was an old picture from well before echoes, which is it

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

cheetah7071 posted:

When I saw that picture on reddit they said it was an old picture from well before echoes, which is it

https://twitter.com/amenochigalileo/status/868957133026582529/photo/1

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm at Desaix's fortress, and I think I messed up. Desaix hits really hard, I have a few characters in danger of dying and I rather stupidly left Lucas out of range. I might have to restart the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

I'm at Desaix's fortress, and I think I messed up. Desaix hits really hard, I have a few characters in danger of dying and I rather stupidly left Lucas out of range. I might have to restart the map.

If you're fine with being cheap have Luthier Excalibur Dessaix and turnwheel until it crits. That should one shot him. It's not a long map though so if he's out of range resetting shouldn't put you back too far.

• Locked thread